• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

I like this a lot. Pleasantly surprised at how tricky some of the puzzles are.

...with that in mind, can someone help me out? Can't figure out how to advance on world 2-2.

Gotta be more specific.

EDIT: Gonna be honest, so far, nothing really makes me wish that any part was more like TTYD right now. Probably because I'm not going "why isn't this TTYD".

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just Beat World 1, and man, does the difficulty pick up! The first Swamp and Desert Worlds have been ROUGH. But, like others said, I do feel a sense of growth...the shops start stocking stronger stickers, and you've got a hefty bank-account that keeps pretty steady if you fight regular battles allowing you to use the Spinner and buy strong stickers.

Also, I love the Ninji! Turning into logs and morphing into shurikens. They're the first non-Boss enemy I've encountered with multiple moves as well.

Roto13

Gotta be more specific.

EDIT: Gonna be honest, so far, nothing really makes me wish that any part was more like TTYD right now. Probably because I'm not going "why isn't this TTYD".

I often think "I really wish I could use jump attacks on enemies that aren't in the front of the line like in The Thousand Year Door" but that's it. :p

stupei

Just pissed off a line full of people waiting for CODBLOPS because they let me jump to the front of the line to pick up my copy of this.

You better be worth all those curses and death threats, game!

Koroviev

Who needs reviews when you have GAF?

Just finished 2-1. Seriously loving this game. Is anyone else addicted to
adding every new sticker you find to the Sticker Museum
?

Oh no, I really like the game. I'm just wondering why it's taking so long for the reviews to be published.

I really want to play this now. I am currently working my way through Tales of the Abyss 3D. About 20 hours in. I just want to drop it and play Paper Mario but I know I'll never go back to ToA if I do.

Oh no, I really like the game. I'm just wondering why it's taking so long for the reviews to be published.

The reviews posted on Nov 6th could not discuss anything after world 3-4 (sorry, wrote 3-2 originally). I can't speak for everyone else, but if I was forced to have to talk about the game up till that part only, I would have been left with a bad impression of the game and the review probably would have been much more negative. However, my personal rule is unless a game is broken (and even then that hasn't stopped me, looking at you Spray), I play it until completion (end credits roll). I also do not like being restricted about what I can discuss in a review, and in this case I drew the line. My review is now up, and I personally feel good about what I wrote and not having to rush to draw a conclusion based on playing less than half of the game.

So it seems nearly every single hammer I use, the hammer part gets knocked off and I'm just left with the shitty handle for 1 damage.

Am I missing something or just super unlucky?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So it seems nearly every single hammer I use, the hammer part gets knocked off and I'm just left with the shitty handle for 1 damage.

Am I missing something or just super unlucky?

press A when the hammer glows, you dummy :p

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Dismayed by the review scores and some of the critiques of the game I've heard. Definitely not going to pay full price for this game.

zroid

Banned
Is anyone else addicted to
adding every new sticker you find to the Sticker Museum
?

Yup, lol. I usually do so immediately, often ignoring their potential utility in battle. Especially for the huge ones which just take up too much space anyway.
Through 2-3, I've filled up 44/96 battle stickers

I seriously haven't gotten into a game like this all year. I like that even when I get stuck trying to think what to do, there's always more things to try and look for and it has had me searching for ways to advance non-stop.

Yuterald

Holy shit, this game is so fucking good! This is definitely one of the best games I've played all year and it's fast becoming my favorite Paper Mario game the more I play. I have 8:30 clocked so far and it's nearly impossible to put down. I'm up to the boss stage of the second world, I believe. I love how semi non-linear the game is too. Instead of going to the boss stage of World 2 I went to go check out 3-1. I thought maybe I had to complete World 2 before progressing with World 3, but you didn't have to (with the right sticker, of course)! Not to sound braggadocios or anything, but I haven't gotten stuck on any sticker puzzles yet either. I've guessed each solution on my first try so I'm not sure why so many people/critics have been getting stuck. Some of the solutions seem pretty obvious. Maybe it gets harder later, but I'm already done two worlds so it's hard for me to see how things could become more difficult in that department. It's not THAT cryptic!

I've grown to love the battle system too. The progression/pacing is really good. They are always introducing new enemy types as well as new stickers to combat the situation. Fighting regular enemies is certainly not worthless either. The bonus coins you receive at the end of the stage make it entirely worth it too. The bonus reel seems to really help during boss battles so having a large coin purse is absolutely beneficial. I also LOVE how much bigger they made the coins. They're just more fun to collect at that size, lol! It's kind of like what Nintendo did with the rupees in Skyward Sword (only I feel like there's much better usage of the currency in Sticker Star than in Skyward). Another aspect that makes regular battles feel worth fighting is the
Flag Pole Achievements/Challenges in Decalburg. At least there's another goal/reason to fighting regular enemies (earning Excellents and Jackpots, etc.).

The soundtrack is indeed a nice breath of fresh air too. After coming off of the terrible NSMB2 "Wha, Wha" soundtrack it's nice to finally hear something unique and different in a Mario game. The jazz style totally fits this game. I don't think I'll ever get tired of Decalburg's theme either. I can't get over how PACKED each stage is with secrets! It's so much fun uncovering hidden areas and finding stickers and items. There's hollowed-out doors all over the place that are begging you to come back for. Finding the Max Hp-Up items has that Metroid-like Energy Tank addiction too. It's just too much fun to explore these areas, hah! Oh, and has anyone been finding those mega secret treasure chests? I just found an AWESOMELY hidden chest in 2-1.

I guess the only thing I kind of wish this game had was a Tattle Guide or some sort of bestiary (unless there's one later, I don't know). I honestly don't miss the partners, badges, or traditional experience levels. This game just does SO MUCH RIGHT.

Koroviev

Dismayed by the review scores and some of the critiques of the game I've heard. Definitely not going to pay full price for this game.

You should give it a chance. The critics more or less panned Dokuro, which is similarly charming and endearing.

zroid

Banned
The critics more or less panned Dokuro, which is similarly charming with an endearing aesthetic.

No kidding. I think the only Dokuro review I saw was IGN's and that was extremely positive.

Haven't picked it up yet thanks to the 2 week Canada delay and now it's kind of a bad time...

Rootbeer

Banned
YAY got my copy delivered today!

The bad news... it was delivered along with a copy of Radiant Historia

I face a tough dilemma.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GT.com gave this an 8. How do you dock points from narrative in a damned Mario game? How is the design 7.6? What the what?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
You should give it a chance. The critics more or less panned Dokuro, which is similarly charming and endearing.

Actually yeah. I read some more of the impressions from this thread and watched the first 15 minutes. I'm liking the charm and exploration, it looks like quite a bit of fun.

iammeiam

What's the ideal sticker to take down the
mega goomba first boss?

Are you doing it at the right time?
You're supposed to use the fan when the Mega Goomba is flipping individual tiles back and forth and is obviously segmented; it blows the individual pieces away. The fan isn't as effective when he's all one piece.

Roto13

Maybe it is the scissors. I might be completely wrong.

Actually, scissors would make a lot more sense.

EDIT: Apparently I'm not wrong. :p

Been enjoying the game but the only really annoying thing I find is that it holds your hand a ton at the beginning but doesn't explain a lot. Also the puzzles annoy me sometimes because often times the stickers/things don't have a lot of description and most of the objects/solutions are so vague/cartoon like that many stickers in theory could work for a situation but there is only one solution and then I have to backtrack levels or spend lots of money to recover it. For example,
in 3-1 to wake the wiggler you're not given much hint how to wake it and I have a giant hammer, fan, bat and trumpet which in theory all could work but there's only one solution

Despite these nitpicks I'm having a good time.

TheGrue

Before the game released I was all concerned by people in this thread saying the game wasn't any good. Sure am glad I ignored it and trusted that a Paper Mario game would be good because this game is awesome. Finished up World 1 tonight and enjoying 2-1 even more. Really great game.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Does it usually take this long for reviews to accumulate for a Mario game?

Perhaps rushing reviewers are getting stuck.

I just fought
Kamek
again in World 2 instead of going straight for the goal in the Yoshi Sphinx level. The
hipster
and
sandals
gags were really funny.

antispin

Are you doing it at the right time?
You're supposed to use the fan when the Mega Goomba is flipping individual tiles back and forth and is obviously segmented; it blows the individual pieces away. The fan isn't as effective when he's all one piece.

Maybe it is the scissors. I might be completely wrong.

Actually, scissors would make a lot more sense.

EDIT: Apparently I'm not wrong. :p

I thought scissors to start with. Seemed logical because paper. But
they were in pieces, so also thought fan. Tried fan as the first move, thinking that they will all be blown away. Didn't try it as iammeiam suggested. Sigh.

jrDev

I just realized, the game doesn't allow you to choose the character you want to hit. This is where the battle spinner comes in since it each attack slot you win on the spin corresponds to each enemy position. This brings in strategy for sticker usage...

I also love that wherever you initiate an enemy battle is what the general battle backdrop will be...eg in the poison river, on a platform etc... Nice little detail. Have I said that I'm enjoying this alot? :p

Roto13

I just realized, the game doesn't allow you to choose the character you want to hit. This is where the battle spinner comes in since it each attack slot you win on the spin corresponds to each enemy position. This brings in strategy for sticker usage...

I also love that wherever you initiate an enemy battle is what the general battle backdrop will be...eg in the poison river, on a platform etc... Nice little detail. Have I said that I'm enjoying this alot? :p

If you start a battle in a pool of poison and then stand around without taking an action for a few seconds, you'll take damage.

zroid

Banned

I didn't actually notice that. So if you match 1 and 3, but not 2, do you attack the first and third enemies?

Beats

I got the game today and played up to 2-2. The writing and music in this game is really great so far. Smiled and chuckled a bunch of times haha. Battles were fairly easy (still fun though) up until I reached the first real boss where I almost got destroyed and spent a few hundred coins on the battle spinner.

-

Do you get anything for filling up the entire sticker museum?

Some of you are really making it hard to not want to pick up this game immediately. Glad those "omg this isn't Paper Mario, what have they done with it?!" posts aren't indicative of the majority of players' impressions. Game sounds freaking awesome!

Vibed

I got the game today and played up to 2-2. The writing and music in this game is really great so far. Smiled and chuckled a bunch of times haha. Battles were fairly easy (still fun though) up until I reached the first real boss where I almost got destroyed and spent a few hundred coins on the battle spinner.

-

Do you get anything for filling up the entire sticker museum?

From what I've heard you get
a sound test for all the Thing Stickers and enemy animations for all the Battle Stickers.

Top Bottom