• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Ghost23

I kind of regret watching the IGN video review. I feel it showed a lot about the game. For those who are close to the end, are there plenty of areas not shown in the videos that were released before the game came out?

Hobbun

If you use a "thing sticker" that you need to progress, you can go back and collect that "thing" again wherever you found it the first time and turn it into a sticker at a certain shop.

Do you have to wait a certain amount of time for the item to reappear? I turned my
Scissors
into a sticker, went back to where I originally found the item and it was not there.

CrisKre

Do you have to wait a certain amount of time for the item to reappear? I turned my
Scissors
into a sticker, went back to where I originally found the item and it was not there.

You can rebuy your item right next to the area where you paperize items.

Madao

heh, in typical NeoGAF poster fashion, i downloaded the game yesterday but didn't play until today. talk about doing day 1 backlog lol.

anyway, i'm 3 hours in and got stuck at the 1-6 castle. i'll figure it out tomorrow since i bet it is something very dumb.
the game so far feels different than past PM games. it feels like a step between the first 2 and SPM. i like the fact that they toned down the dialogue a lot since that was getting in the way in SPM. it feels like PM64 levels so far. one thing i don't like is how you can't do anything if you run out of stickers but luckily, they respawn when you enter a stage again.
the game itself is easy. the hard part is figuring out puzzles and stuff. my Zelda puzzle solving skills are getting an unexpected workout (haven't used anything external so far to figure it out).
removing the leveling up and experience makes most fights pointless but it was a surprise how they set up the game so you have to fight normal enemies a few times.
i find it weird that not even action commands have an in-game tutorial. if it wasn't for the fact i played previous PM games, i wouldn't have had any idea they exist. they do make most enemies a breeze though and let you rack a ton of money (i'm already over 1000 coins)

so far, it seems good. can't say how it stacks up against the previous games but i predict it will finish above SPM at least.

CrisKre

The things regenerate in the world only if you have neither the thing itself nor its sticker in your possession

I have a question for the end of world 3:
ive goten 3 of wigglers body sections and im assuming the 4th is in the shipwreck with yhe poison. When I fix the boat a big fish appears. How do I beat it?

Yes Boss!

I can safely say that this is probably my second favorite 3DS game after 3D Land. It is incredibly good. I had not looked at any previews other hhan the video on the eShop.

I'm really liking this so far,
Gooper Blooper has awesome music

In all honesty, I do think there's actual character progress in this game, with getting a new sticker page being the equivelant of more FP, with better stickers being like better badge, but with limited usage. And then there's the HP upgrades. I mean, stickers are expendable and all, and you should really run with that in mind. Stickers are expendable. Use them. Start using better tiered stickers as you progress, but keep some of the better ones for the future.

Backtracking to get stickers? I wouldn't be surprised if later playthroughs will make us go pssh backtracking for stickers, we have what we need at all times. I really don't care much for having the backtracking to get certain stickers, because it's the least of my worries for later playthroughs. I'm looking more towards how I can change up the pace for later playthroughs, which might end up in Sticker Star's advantage.

Gardios

I love that little cutscene in
4-1
when you get the GOAT.
They're not even trying to be subtle about Birdo anymore.

Roto13

Bah, I ran out of stickers at the second boss. I used the bat on him but it wasn't enough. Stupid thing has high defense and heals when he has low HP.

Bah, I ran out of stickers at the second boss. I used the bat on him but it wasn't enough. Stupid thing has high defense and heals when he has low HP.

Every boss has high defense unless you use their weakness against it, which basically nullifies its defense. Did you do it
when his entire body was exposed

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I love how the Museum mis-interprets the actual use of "Thing" stickers. Reminds me of Pikmin.

Oh, and Bowser Jr. is so cute!

Roto13

Every boss has high defense unless you use their weakness against it, which basically nullifies its defense. Did you do it
when his entire body was exposed

No. I used it right away. If I had stopped to think about it, it probably would have made more sense to
wait for his body to be exposed
. :p

Vibed

The best solution to the world 2 boss is to
spray him with the soda for 12 damage when his entire body is exposed, then immediately after use the bat. Every time you get an excellent, Pokey takes 67 damage. Multiply that by 5 and he's down is one go.

Although I already beat it, I have a question on that world 2 boss myself.
Is there any sticker to force his whole body out? If there was, that means with a three sticker bonus you could take him down in the first round and get a perfect.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I do wish this game had a struggle option like how you have in Pokemon when you run out of PP for your moves.

First boss fight, regular hammer / jump stickers would drop during battle when I ran low. Not sure if it was luck, or what, but it happened. Has anyone actually ran out of stickers yet? I'm nearing the last stage of World 2 and I'm basically overflowing with stickers to the point where I'm having toss plenty.

Roto13

First boss fight, regular hammer / jump stickers would drop during battle when I ran low. Not sure if it was luck, or what, but it happened. Has anyone actually ran out of stickers yet? I'm nearing the last stage of World 2 and I'm basically overflowing with stickers to the point where I'm having toss plenty.

I ran out of stickers during the second boss fight and a few fell from the sky when it was attacking me, but then it spent a turn healing itself and no stickers appeared so I couldn't do anything but run.

The best solution to the world 2 boss is to
spray him with the soda for 12 damage when his entire body is exposed, then immediately after use the bat. Every time you get an excellent, Pokey takes 67 damage. Multiply that by 5 and he's down is one go.

Although I already beat it, I have a question on that world 2 boss myself.
Is there any sticker to force his whole body out? If there was, that means with a three sticker bonus you could take him down in the first round and get a perfect.

Not that I'm aware of. I wonder if a POW block could do it.

So I'm basically thinking it is a case of reviewers didn't really bother to look around for things.

I believe I read an earlier post where someone said something about the little mariachi shy guys being creepy.

They just stand there. So still.

Roto13

Not that I'm aware of. I wonder if a POW block could do it.

So I'm basically thinking it is a case of reviewers didn't really bother to look around for things.

I'd believe it. I've run into a few puzzles that would have been really tough if I hadn't found some optional items by thoroughly exploring every level.

Though, if I didn't have that necessary sticker for the second boss battle, I wouldn't have a clue where to look for it. Especially since the level it's in is kind of confusing.

ryushe

I ran out of stickers during the second boss fight and a few fell from the sky when it was attacking me, but then it spent a turn healing itself and no stickers appeared so I couldn't do anything but run.
Oh, I didn't know that stickers fell from the sky. Cool.

iammeiam

The only puzzle I ran into that required going somewhere out-of-the-way, Kersti basically tells you where to go in a hint if you ask.
The dust storm in world 2--if you hit L, she pops up and says she heard about a machine in a warehouse at the docks that might help.

Her hints otherwise aren't the greatest (I had this momentary brain failure and didn't think of using the faucet to
revitalize the oasis
and her hint was generic and useless and I had to think for myself), but she's been relatively useful when it comes to stuff I haven't found yet.

CrisKre

I am likeing the fact that there is no extreme handholding. Though some puzzles have been challenging I in no instance thought they were unfair.

I ran out of stickers during a routine battle and nothing fell from the sky. I had to run away from the battle.

VICI0US

well.. I caved. ended up buying the game earlier, some initial impressions:

visuals are fantastic. sticker star combines all the best aspects of games like little big planet, epic yarn, and previous paper marios into one seriously amazing looking art style. coupled with the depth the 3D adds it's like you're really watching a little mario cutout run around in cardboard diorama.

the soundtrack is great as well.

the writing and dialogue is as hilarious as past paper mario/mario and luigi rpgs. at one point early in the game, for example, your travelling companion angrily calls out an enemy as a "thick-ugly-glasses wearing hipster"

the combat system has the reflex/timing based aspect of past games, time your button presses to decrease damage taken, increase damage dealt, gain new attack effects, etc. yeah, there are no stats/exp, but many other RPG elements are ingeniously integrated into the sticker system. single target/ae/piercing/full screen attacks, healing, status effects, etc. There's also the inventory management and readiness aspect of the sticker system. Your album can only hold many stickers and just as there are a variety of stickers, there are a variety of enemies each with different behaviors and immunities. A basic goomba is usually stomping fodder, but it may decide to fold up into a spiky cone and suddenly your jump attacks are useless. A koopa might withdraw into its shell and your hammer will be completely ineffective. A kicked koopa shell with slide right underneath an aerial enemy. A fire enemy will be completely immune to your fire flower, so on, and so forth. You have to amass a diverse inventory, use your stickers wisely, and be ready to go up against anything.

rather than a continuous open game world, the levels have been broken up into stages accessible via a world map. this allows the game to be played in more portable, bite sized chunks when necessary in addition to normal hour+ binge gaming sessions.

as someone who had to force themselves through most of super paper mario and never actually ended up completing it, I'm totally loving sticker star.

Ohh maaan, 4-1 really throws coins at you with the
Shiny Goombas. Beating these in one turn not only gives you a good amount of coins, but they drop a lot of coins afterwards. Not to mention killing a lot of these also severely boosts the amount of coins you earn when you beat the stage. Bring a radiator (Found where the Sniffit Quizshow was and a Fire Flower).

Soloist

Neo Member
(Post fifth royal crown spoiler)

Does anybody know
how to fly to bowser's castle? Does it have to do with the cheep cheep on the river?

Edit:
Nevermind!
The wiggler metamorphosizes and flies you there.

iammeiam

Final level of world 2 question:
When you're running around outside, there's one window where you can see the back of Luigi's head. Can you actually get to whatever room he's in?

Slevin

With Paper Mario being my favorite game of all time and TTYD up there as well, this one had some major shoes to fill.

I'm only 4 hours in but so far I've really enjoyed it. Best paper graphics out of any of them. I'm extremely disappointed so far how much they've moved away from the RPG aspect compared to the first 2 games though. All the character interactions, mystery solving, and story elements are not as prevalent in this game. I can understand though, it's a handheld version and it works very well for it. Much better than Super Paper Mario, it's now my third favorite PM game. Can't wait to beat it.

RM8

People saying it's better than SPM are making me even more hyped for this. For me SPM = TTD > 64. With that gap being tiny. Please, ship already! :/

I like this a lot. Pleasantly surprised at how tricky some of the puzzles are.

...with that in mind, can someone help me out? Can't figure out how to advance on world 2-2.

Top Bottom