• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasite Eve |OT| The worst foe lies within the self

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
mutn50.jpg
jr719i.jpg

Developer: Square Co., Ltd.

Release Dates:
Parasite Eve:
  • JP - November 4, 2010
  • NA - March 15, 2011

Parasite Eve II:
  • JP - November 24, 2010
  • PAL - May 31, 2011
  • NA - August 23, 2011

Platforms: PlayStation® 3, PlayStation® Portable, PlayStation® Network

Prices: ¥600, $5.99

Genre: Role-playing game, Survival horror

Summary:
Parasite Eve:
The game begins with Aya Brea, an NYPD rookie, attending an opera with an unnamed date. During the opera, everyone in the building spontaneously combusts, except for Aya, her date, and an actress on stage named Melissa Pearce. Aya confronts Melissa backstage, and Melissa says that Aya’s mitochondria need more time to develop. Melissa then mutates into a beast and flees into the sewers, declaring that her name is now Eve.

Parasite Eve II:
Parasite Eve II is set several years after the events in the original game. The protagonist from the first game, Aya Brea, also features in this game as the playable character. She becomes involved with another outbreak of Mitochondrial creatures. Gameplay diverges from the previous game: battles take place in real time and the area of action is less restrictive. The approach is more typical of traditional survival horror games, although some role-playing game elements are retained.

Awesome Music:
Parasite Eve:
Primal Eyes
Sotto Voce
Missing Perspective
Wheel of Fortune
Main Theme - Orchestral

Parasite Eve II:
Forbidden Power

Screenshots:
Parasite Eve:
hu0z81.jpg
r1g39j.jpg
zjxtfl.jpg
o6fptv.jpg
oro6iq.jpg
21100u0.jpg

Parasite Eve II:
6h0ry1.jpg
34spbae.jpg
2je7g2c.jpg
2rnua7m.jpg
2a6w3sm.jpg
6glb8i.jpg

I've been wanting to play this for quite some time now. Unfortunately, I don't own any Sony product at the moment, so I'll be waiting for a bit longer. :(

I do, however, own the soundtrack, which is absolutely stunning. Easily one of Shimomura's best works.

randomwab

I picked up a copy of the late last year and never got around to finishing it. Might grab this and throw it on my PSP Go.

Andrefpvs

I'll probably try this one for the first time ever. Would you consider that the gameplay has aged well? Is there an ongoing story in this series as well?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Andrefpvs said:
I'll probably try this one for the first time ever. Would you consider that the gameplay has aged well? Is there an ongoing story in this series as well?

It's hard to tell whether the gameplay aged well or not for me (clinging on to nostalgia, etc.) but I can clearly say that its genre experimentation (RPG elements mixed with semi-action elements mixed with gun stuff) was integrated well.

As for story, if you like scientific stuff mixed with a bit of horror, you'd like the story.

soultron

Banned
Great game, but I'd argue it was too easy.

I know it's blasphemy, but I loved the Dino Crisis-ish sequel. But as soon as you got into the caves the difficulty spiked so suddenly.

ULTROS!

Larsen B said:
Finally.

Will PE2 be out before The 3rd Birthday too?

It hasn't been rated yet so I doubt any time this month.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I hope they'll release some media and info soon so tha the OP can become meatier!

anddo0

Sweet bought. I'll add it to my backlog of PS1 games I need to play/complete. I have yet to start Vagrant Story. But I'm getting this anyway. :)

MoogPaul

Will pick up when I get home. I'll still hold onto my disc copies though. Just need PE 2, legend of mana, and chrono cross now.

ULTROS!

Added awesome music and screenshots courtesy of Youtube and Gamespot.

loved pe - cool story, unique combat, & impressive production. easily one of my top dozen ps1 games...

meanwhile, i continue to slowly struggle thru pe2, which sucked all the good stuff out & replaced it with resident evil...

Still undecided on whether to buy this or not. A lot of the PS1 classics I have bought I already own on disc, but I replayed PE a couple of months ago, just before The 3rd Birthday came out so not sure if I want to replay it just yet.

That said, buying a $20 PSN card for this would also allow me to buy a couple of other PS1 games. Would make a nice birthday present to myself :)

SamuraiX-

I never got around to experiencing the series.

It looked very promising but the gameplay looks so... different. I don't know if maybe that was turning me away from it but I was still really want to play the game sometime. :)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yup, buying this today. I played the game for the first time a couple of years ago on PSP with a CD rip. But for some reason the game wouldn't let you save after beating the final boss, so I couldn't keep on playing in EX Mode.

So basically I'm buying this again so I can keep on playing after finishing the game :)

Nekofrog

Banned
Parasite Eve was a great game.

I am still waiting for a sequel to it. So sad that one never came and it was never followed up on.

hank_tree

I started replaying this a few months back but it hasn't aged well. I'll still be buying it to support PS1 releases on PSN anyways and might give it another shot.

ULTROS!

SamuraiX- said:
I never got around to experiencing the series.

It looked very promising but the gameplay looks so... different. I don't know if maybe that was turning me away from it but I was still really want to play the game sometime. :)

Just think of the gameplay as a mixture of Resident Evil and Final Fantasy.

Andrefpvs

ULTROS! said:
It's hard to tell whether the gameplay aged well or not for me (clinging on to nostalgia, etc.) but I can clearly say that its genre experimentation (RPG elements mixed with semi-action elements mixed with gun stuff) was integrated well.

As for story, if you like scientific stuff mixed with a bit of horror, you'd like the story.

Thanks. But what about the story. Would I need to play this to understand the other numbered entries or The 3rd Birthday?

anaron

Andrefpvs said:
Thanks. But what about the story. Would I need to play this to understand the other numbered entries or The 3rd Birthday?
Nope.

Neko Frog said:
Parasite Eve was a great game.I am still waiting for a sequel to it. So sad that one never came and it was never followed up on.
I know right? :(

xqBJY.jpg

I had always had an interest in playing this, but I never was able to get around to it. My interest returned upon 3 releasing, and I'm glad I'll be able to finally play this!

Andrefpvs

anaron said:

But I would be missing out, right? I'm sorry for insisting, but I'm really bothered about playing sequels that may have a fair share of references to earlier games I haven't played.

ULTROS!

Andrefpvs said:

Whoops, read it wrong.

I haven't played 3rd Birthday but regarding PE2, they're sort of linked from what I've played. You'll get a better PE experience when you play 1 -> 2.

It's ok if you skip 1 and proceed with 2, but you might not understand some parts (like how the neo-Mitochondria came about, the full story of Eve, etc.)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
MehsterChief said:
Aya? Hot. Gameplay? Not so hot. Square and action doesn't fit too well.
Wrong game? It wasn't really an action game. More like Vagrant Story. Random-ish encounters, stats, ammo types, pause attacks, spells and potions and stuff... It was pretty good, if a bit flawed.

Acquiesc3

Banned
I think I left off at Day 5, but I don't have the game anymore. I wouldn't mind picking this up and playing it again.. interesting battle system and I liked the music.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I will be buying this. Hear this SE? I've bought all of your PS1 games on PSN. MORE!

Also, Aya is still Nomura's best design.

anaron

Andrefpvs said:
But I would be missing out, right? I'm sorry for insisting, but I'm really bothered about playing sequels that may have a fair share of references to earlier games I haven't played.
While the games differ dramatically, playing in chronological order makes the most sense, no?

The 3rd birthday however, is not a Parasite Eve game so no required gaming is necessary for that...thing.

Alextended said:
Wrong game? It wasn't really an action game. More like Vagrant Story. Random-ish encounters, stats, ammo types, pause attacks, spells and potions and stuff... It was pretty good, if a bit flawed.

I don't know, I thought Parasite Eve 1 had quite a few action elements as well. I never played the second one, but as far as I've heard it emphasizes the action more, which is probably a bad thing.

Best one in the entire series. Love the first one so MUCH, it's awesome!

BTW: The game is a sequel to the Japanese Novel right? So what about the live action movie?
Confused.

Dat graphics. Awesome game! First time I played this it was in black & gray because I didn't own a RGB-cable yet but it didn't keep me from playing the game! Got the cable soon enough though, after getting Silent Hill.

Final boss was a pain in the ass though!

Top Bottom