• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parents say Pokemon promotes positive values and strategic thinking

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/07/news_6106793.html

Nintendo of America today announced the results of an ostensibly independent survey of over 2,000 parents concerning the Pokemon series of video games. The verdict? Over 75 percent of parents surveyed say that Pokemon "does a good job of promoting positive values and enhances strategic thinking."

Commissioned by Nintendo and conducted by Impulse Research Group of Los Angeles, the online survey of 2,098 parents from across the US also indicated that most parents believe that playing Pokemon "improves memory skills", "increases mental agility and awareness," and promotes "teamwork" and "cooperation with friends."

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
but there are no black people in the game, and they arent complaining about it? parental groups need to get their act together.

NO! Pokemon is evil! Just read about how Nintendo copied Pokemon from Venezuelan devil spirits:

Dawson said that when he showed Shoefoot some of the Pokemon trading cards when they first came to Venezuela, the Yanomami man identified the images and names as belonging to "child spirits" who prepared youngsters in the tribe for the evil spirits that would come during adulthood."

Debbie Morse, my missionary friend, said, "This should give proof that Pokeman is EVIL and our children need to be protected. The CHURCH needs to be made aware of these deadly attacks on the family and our children. There are many dangers today in the form of toys and computer games, etc. We are in WARFARE and our enemy is deadly serious about destroying us all!"

Parents beware. Our enemy, the devil, is still seeking to destroy us and our children!

http://www.pastornet.net.au/jmm/articles/371.htm

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Here's a little story for the campfire:

When I worked at GameStop (worked at both GameStop and EB) there used to be this kid who'd walk into the store almost daily (for the curious he was a black 14 year old, if that even mattered). Now this kid wasn't a regular customer perse, he was just some kid who's grandmother would drop him off some days (sometimes multiple days in a row) and he'd just hang around the store playing some games and generally keeping quiet and out of the way so we didn't mind.

The problem is that this kid was absolutely convinced he was THE Pokémon master. He would seriously tell us that he was the world champion and even owned his own gym. He told me stories of how he would go around his neighborhood and challenge other kids in Pokémon matches to get better and that he had his own training dojo within his "Gym." He remarked that he underwent physical and mental training studying Pokémon so he could best match his skills to his team. He apparantly also fashioned badges out of seashells which he picked up from the ocean and painted. If any of the kids he challenged won, he would give them their own badge (I thought he was the Pokémon master but I didn't bother asking how he could lose). He also said that he has his own set "Gym clothes" and he would show me. Naturally I asked him to come in with them then next time he was dropped off and sure enough the next day he arrived.

He was wearing a black trenchcoat with sunglasses with his gym badges, plastic Pokémon balls (some he painted himself), and rows upon rows of cards all hanging on the inside of his coat for easy access.

Best part of all? He actively tried to pick up girls in that getup for the rest of the day AND HE WAS A 14 YEAR OLD POKéMON MASTER.

Working in retail in a busy city sometimes has it's perks.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
naz said:
i believe that story :D
None of my friend beleived me until I forced them to come to the store and see the kid in person.

The kid is really nice, he was also really helpful around store (like getting game boxes off the shelves for us or placing them back on the shelf). He was just a little off.

He was also into Yu-Gi-Oh! and kept asking me to play against him and I kept telling him I didn't know how to play and that I had a job to do.

There's this couple (yes nerdy guy/girl in actual relationship) who come into a shop in Liverpool, and get the guy to go through all of his packs of Yu Gi Oh stuff to see if he's got anything rare. The boxed ones? Anyway, the kids who buy them aren't that desperate and obsessed. It's quite scarey. They put down some serious dollar on those things as well.

TekunoRobby said:
None of my friend beleived me until I forced them to come to the store and see the kid in person.

The kid is really nice, he was also really helpful around store (like getting game boxes off the shelves for us or placing them back on the shelf). He was just a little off.

He was also into Yu-Gi-Oh! and kept asking me to play against him and I kept telling him I didn't know how to play and that I had a job to do.

that kid deserves a job at Nintendo

john tv

Pokemon also promotes the following:

- not getting your homework done
- not studying for tests as often as you probably should
- not turning in your other reviews on time
- not getting all of your regular work done
- not posting as often on GAF

Learned all of this first-hand. Seen 136 and caught 83 of those bitches so far...

cvxfreak

TekunoRobby said:
Here's a little story for the campfire:

When I worked at GameStop (worked at both GameStop and EB) there used to be this kid who'd walk into the store almost daily (for the curious he was a black 14 year old, if that even mattered). Now this kid wasn't a regular customer perse, he was just some kid who's grandmother would drop him off some days (sometimes multiple days in a row) and he'd just hang around the store playing some games and generally keeping quiet and out of the way so we didn't mind.

The problem is that this kid was absolutely convinced he was THE Pokémon master. He would seriously tell us that he was the world champion and even owned his own gym. He told me stories of how he would go around his neighborhood and challenge other kids in Pokémon matches to get better and that he had his own training dojo within his "Gym." He remarked that he underwent physical and mental training studying Pokémon so he could best match his skills to his team. He apparantly also fashioned badges out of seashells which he picked up from the ocean and painted. If any of the kids he challenged won, he would give them their own badge (I thought he was the Pokémon master but I didn't bother asking how he could lose). He also said that he has his own set "Gym clothes" and he would show me. Naturally I asked him to come in with them then next time he was dropped off and sure enough the next day he arrived.

He was wearing a black trenchcoat with sunglasses with his gym badges, plastic Pokémon balls (some he painted himself), and rows upon rows of cards all hanging on the inside of his coat for easy access.

Best part of all? He actively tried to pick up girls in that getup for the rest of the day AND HE WAS A 14 YEAR OLD POKéMON MASTER.

Working in retail in a busy city sometimes has it's perks.

I like this guy.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
ManDudeChild said:
Uri Geller, that sounds about right. Anyone have a link to the old story on him trying to sue Nintendo over the spoon bending?

wolffiles97_h.gif

cvxfreak

The Pokemon hate never stopped. Some people thought the Pokemon "Jynx" represented and stereotyped black people. ::rolleyes::

jynx.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Uri Geller probably had a case as his name was Yungerra in the Japanese version, but when he started claiming that the name Yungerra when written in Japanese LOOKED LIKE HIS SIGNATURE i think he shot himself in the foot.

belgurdo

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
The Pokemon hate never stopped. Some people thought the Pokemon "Jynx" represented and stereotyped black people. ::rolleyes::

jynx.jpg

I've personally always wondered where Nintendo was going with this particular pokemon, myself (not in a serious light, though)

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Ghost said:
but there are no black people in the game, and they arent complaining about it? parental groups need to get their act together.

There are no white people in the game either. They are all asian. =P

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it promotes positive values, strategic thinking, and the use of animals in vicious bloodsport.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
a surprising number of people picking up pokemon today were non-white.

The series would do well to adapt to that for american audiences, but it is a Japanese made game sooo....

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
it promotes positive values, strategic thinking, and the use of animals in vicious bloodsport.

Dont forget gambling! if you want a porygon you'll have to be quite the slots player.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/07/news_6106793.html

Nintendo of America today announced the results of an ostensibly independent survey of over 2,000 parents concerning the Pokemon series of video games. The verdict? Over 75 percent of parents surveyed say that Pokemon "does a good job of promoting positive values and enhances strategic thinking."

Commissioned by Nintendo and conducted by Impulse Research Group of Los Angeles, the online survey of 2,098 parents from across the US also indicated that most parents believe that playing Pokemon "improves memory skills", "increases mental agility and awareness," and promotes "teamwork" and "cooperation with friends."

I actually cannot believe that the whole "Well, isn't this just digital dogfighting for money?" thing never engulfed Pokemon. That was my *first* thought when I saw Pokemon all those years ago...

Top Bottom