• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Rufus

I see a lot of potential in the Prophecy mechanic. There are a lot of tedious prophecies in the pool, yeah, but they can switch things around a lot to make it less so. Gate them better, so it doesn't send you back to Act 1 while you're mapping and such.

As for the performance changes, yeah, I've had some dangerous situations as well that I would put down to on-demand loading, but I've yet to encounter those really bad two-second long freezes I've seen people post on Reddit. Finger's crossed.

While we're on the topic, I'm still amazed that they have effect in there that make so many draw calls that they bog down systems capable of running much more demanding games. How the fuck is Alira's stupid cooking fire still dropping my frames? It's clear that they're dragging this out until the DX12 client is ready, but is it so hard to substituite a shittier lookig but not as demanding effect there until then?

Anyway...

Self-cast discharge.

Don't do it. Clunky as fuck, and you'll need a reliable single target solution. The Juggernaut's 20% chance to gain an endurance charge on getting hit in conjuction with getting your max amount instead is only good enough for packs. Warlord's Mark will usually get you your charges back, but not always, so no matter what, you will need Enduring Cry to bridge the gap. Back when you could run two to deal with their cooldown, this would have been perfect, but since we can't do that any more you'll find yourself standing around with no way to do damage, which is fine for low maps, but is going to get you killed eventually.

There's also the usual Discharge issue of what to do with mobs that were left alive. Burning + Ele Prolif, naturally, but you'd be giving up two damage links just for that mechanic. Until you have a six-link, that's not an option, and even then I don't really want to... I thought about RF at first, but then I might as well make an RF build.

My current idea is Flame Dash, then Flame Surge, but I don't actually have enough mana regen to burst things down with it. Can't think of a good Vaal skill either.

Think I want to roll a wander this league. I tried messing around with KB wander when that skill was released but ended up dropping the character in the 70s as it wasn't as reliable compared to other builds for me at the time.

I ran Shadow on that KB build but might go witch this time with elementalist. Still not sure what I want to run as I haven't had time to play as I am too busy playing catch up at work fro my time off.

Cerity

Just if you're playing on windows 10 and keep it updated, one of the latest builds downloads updates whenever it wants to. running higher tier maps and hitting a sustained 1500ms delay isn't fun.... Only way to really get around it is to turn on quiet hours.

Clearing these "you will kill a [xy]" Prophecies is really fucking annoying...

I just end up sealing a lot of those now. I don't care about prophecies enough anymore to really go out of my way to do them. Unless they sound like they're going to be cool. I have more than enough coins through not doing them lol. Something like 58~

So the new "faster" loading times are actually making things worse? I was running it off an SSD so times were fine for me a majority of the time.

Deadly

So the new "faster" loading times are actually making things worse? I was running it off an SSD so times were fine for me a majority of the time.
The load times are alot faster for me, especially when booting the game up, but it also crashes and freezes more often.

TheFatOne

So I wanted to make a juggernaut to farm the Uber Lab. Had a 65 character rip to an elron quest. Stupid mob revived all the dead mobs, and insta killed me. Made a second character died at 50 something lag spike, and before I knew it I was dead. Said fuck it farmed my magic find character. Got lucky found a few expensive things sold them. Traded them in for regrets, and tomorrow I'm going to switch my marauder totem build to a melee juggernaut.

My god. Why did it take me so long to find this game? I've put in nearly 200 hours since Prophecy's launch. I'm only playing softcore, but holy cow what an experience. It is basically everything I had hoped for in D3.

Created a cheap necromancer that was able to help me clear enough maps and uber lab. Ended up getting the council bow two nights ago so now I'm rolling a tornado assassin. Going to be a lot more costly, but its playing well so far.

Felt bad on the bow. Friend was playing a bladefall class and was going to start a maurader. I wasn't sure how I would do on council so I told him I'd give him my prophecy and the ring to upgrade if he went in to council with me. He goes "just hope the bow drops" and it did. He was a good guy, because I noticed the loot was actually his.

Make sure to get a Voidheart ring (upgraded Blackheart). That thing is broken tier good right now.

The prices for this ring are absolutely bonkers. As much as I love being able to sell and trade in this game I can't stand when GGG releases something that from first glance should be a red flag and the economy goes bonkers. Guess some blame is on Ghudda for always breaking everything all the time. I forsee a mid league nerf for this thing honestly.

TheFatOne

Make sure to get a Voidheart ring (upgraded Blackheart). That thing is broken tier good right now.

Bought two before they went up in price once I read what they did.
The prices for this ring are absolutely bonkers. As much as I love being able to sell and trade in this game I can't stand when GGG releases something that from first glance should be a red flag and the economy goes bonkers. Guess some blame is on Ghudda for always breaking everything all the time. I forsee a mid league nerf for this thing honestly.
Nah Ghudda wasn't the only one running with this. Plenty of people figured out this ring was broken, but this happens all the time. They are a few chest pieces like this now. At first people didn't think they would be that good, and then once they realize just how wrong they are the price starts to inflate as demand increases. Natural cycle of new uniques.

Bought two before they went up in price once I read what they did.

Nah Ghudda wasn't the only one running with this. Plenty of people figured out this ring was broken, but this happens all the time. They are a few chest pieces like this now. At first people didn't think they would be that good, and then once they realize just how wrong they are the price starts to inflate as demand increases. Natural cycle of new uniques.

Ah okay. What chest pieces are busted? I just finally got around to starting a character in league today. Work has been hell trying to catch up from my vacation. Haven't had time to see what's been going on with the league balance too much yet.

TheFatOne

Changed my flame totem bro into an Earthquake juggernaut tank. Face tanked uber Izaro. Feels good man. That feeling when you open a chest and 10+ quality(17+) gems pop out. With 9 endurance charges up I just laugh at the traps in the uber lab. Shit don't faze me. Also being immune to being slowed is awesome. No more temp chains slowing me down.
Ah okay. What chest pieces are busted? I just finally got around to starting a character in league today. Work has been hell trying to catch up from my vacation. Haven't had time to see what's been going on with the league balance too much yet.

I was thinking of Kinstugi, but it's not as broken as I thought. Misread what it did, but it's still pretty good. Stacks with artic armour. Good chest for evasion builds.

squidyj

Working on putting together an EQ Jugg

Trying to figure out my links. So far I have
EQ in 5L Marohi with all the usual suspects

Enduring Cry and Blood Rage linked with Increased Duration and maybe blood magic

Hatred in an Essence Worm
Warlord's Mark and Herald of Ash linked with Blasphemy and I guess Enlighten? doesn't really do much either way

Leap Slam with Faster Attacks and Blood Magic so I can easily spam my way across an empty map. This leaves me with an empty slot in one of my 4Ls I could put fire golem in here?

that leaves me a chest slot for what? Is Ancestral Warchief the best thing I can put in there?

Then a CWDT? I don't fucking know.

Rufus

I'd get a Voidheart and swap out your Essence Worm for it. It's going to do more for you than Hatred. Herald of Ash will also become superfluous.

If you're not opposed to keeping your charges up manually, I would also drop Warlord's Mark. Pick up a couple leech nodes if that's what you're using it for. Swap it for Enfeeble/Temp Chains or, if you go with my suggestion of Voidheart, Vulnerability. It boosts every aspect of your damage if you're using Voidheart. (I feel like they made this one to finally get people to see the light of bleed and poison.)
Alternatively, Purity of Fire and Lightning.

As for CWDT, a high level one with Immortal Call would be good. I don't know how many charges you've stacked, but you should get a solidly ife saving duration out of them.

Warchief is really good, yeah. I currently use one linked with Blind. I rarely end up using it, because EQ + Voidheart is just stupid. I'm also experimenting with having my Warchief apply the bleeds for me, so that I can use Bloodlust on my EQ. Not that I need it (yet), but why the fuck not. Slows things down though.

And if anyone cares, my Discharge Juggernaut reached 88 before dying an unceremonious death to Palace Dominus. Got touched by god. He will not be missed. Fuck self-cast discharge. Making it smooth is a pain, making it faceroll is too rich for my pockets. Rest in Standard.

Cerity

Playing a blink/mirror arrow necro atm, forgot about the high dex requirement on bows completely and made the transition too early. Shot myself in the foot pretty hard, but still it is pretty cool seeing 25~ odd copies of yourself on the screen.

squidyj

My intention is to run voidheart and essence worm. I have them both, and a 5l Marohi
unless you think there's a third ring I ought to be running instead. I think I'll still have enough rares to get my resists up. I'm hitting 8 endurance charges, 9 if I ever get my hands on the boots.

I think I'll run Warlord's for the time being and see how that feels. I feel like the opportunity cost for picking up leech nodes is too high and I don't want to be self casting while clearing, that sort of thing will just slow me down and I don't know how reliably my ascendancy will be going off if i'm just clearing everything with EQ.

Rufus

My intention is to run voidheart and essence worm. I have them both, and a 5l Marohi
unless you think there's a third ring I ought to be running instead. I think I'll still have enough rares to get my resists up. I'm hitting 8 endurance charges, 9 if I ever get my hands on the boots.

I think I'll run Warlord's for the time being and see how that feels. I feel like the opportunity cost for picking up leech nodes is too high and I don't want to be self casting while clearing, that sort of thing will just slow me down and I don't know how reliably my ascendancy will be going off if i'm just clearing everything with EQ.
One other idea/extension: If you're anywhere near the Duelist area, I'd just get 0.2% mana leech so you don't have to put Leap Slam on Blood Magic. Then, swap Blood Magic for Endurance Charge on Stun. With a Marohi, you should get reliable stuns.

The 20% chance to get a charge when hit is really spotty, I can confirm that much. I suppose it gets better if you have Unwavering and use a two-hander instead of a shield.

As an official POE noob, what class should I do? How do I play this game?

Check out some popular youtubers like ZiggyD and LiftingNerdBro. They have very beginner friendly and easy to follow guides on game systems and builds that are pretty viable with low investment and currency costs. Over time you will learn how to kind of do things on your own. The class forums on PoE website are also a pretty nice resource as well.

Also is anyone having any issues updating the client version after 2.3.1? I keep getting wrong hash errors all the time. I might just go full steam client as I have been updating and deleting the content.ggpk trying to fix the issue for over 3 hours now.

TheFatOne

Lost my last character because this game runs like complete ass now. Not going to play again until the next league. They need to fix this shit. Game performs worse now than it did a year ago. Also, prophecy needs a bunch of tweaks. The thing I don't like about GGG is that they come up with great concepts, and then use the leagues as beta tests. Shit is annoying. For once I want them to come up with a new league and have most of the kinks worked out. Really enjoy the game, but the performance overall this league is simply inexcusable. Just feel like I'm beta testing stuff for the new expansion instead of enjoying the league.

Lost my last character because this game runs like complete ass now. Not going to play again until the next league. They need to fix this shit. Game performs worse now than it did a year ago. Also, prophecy needs a bunch of tweaks. The thing I don't like about GGG is that they come up with great concepts, and then use the leagues as beta tests. Shit is annoying. For once I want them to come up with a new league and have most of the kinks worked out. Really enjoy the game, but the performance overall this league is simply inexcusable. Just feel like I'm beta testing stuff for the new expansion instead of enjoying the league.

I had a crap time against Dominus on my second character. Finally got him down after a few deaths (which is embarrassing) and decided to call it a day. I don't know how they could make it worse than it was before.

I really wish they had a PTR like Blizzard does with their games so that people can test things out beforehand.

Cerity

There is a supposed engine overhaul/swap coming towards the end of the year, being GGG I'm expecting it next year though. I'll stop after I'm done with this league until then, I want to run pale council more on maybe 1-2 other chars. AMD cards STILL performing poorly relatively to nvidia cards is a kick in the nuts and STILL having to avoid strongboxes in lategame due to the 1-2 second delay is crazy. I love the game, I really do but there's a load of performance issues that have been in the game for way too long. Not to mention things that are still plain broken and/or ineffective (hello threshold and skill specific unique jewels).

In the meantime you can stop the preload nonsense by adding --noasync to the launch options, makes things about as smooth as they were pre-2.3

As an official POE noob, what class should I do? How do I play this game?

hit up the class section on the official forums, loads of builds and plenty of noob friendly build guides.

squidyj

Got my dude up to 60ish Merciless

I feel dirty broken and I'm not even using conc effect on my EQ.
Like I alt tab and i tab back in and there's a rare pack beating on me doing absolutely nothing.

I just don't know if I want to take Unstoppable before Unyielding or the other way round from Juggernaut.

This is where I'm at. Haven't played in weeks due to the game running like complete trash now. Last time I tried to play the game completely froze the minute I left town; haven't gone back since. I only got to do a couple prophesies, which seemed like an interesting mechanic. I'll give it another try in a week or two but if it's still running as bad as I assume it'll run, I'm done until the league ends.

I turned shadows off initially which helped for a bit, but it didn't take long for it to become unplayable.

Deadly

Use the --noasync launch command and see if that solves your problems. Game works fine for me now. The loading times are back to being abit longer but it's well worth the game not getting dc'd/crashing all the time.

Rufus

I've had a couple of crashes and the game likes to freeze when I attack a lot of monsters at once. At least it did with EQ, Flameblast doesn't seem to have this problem.

The DX12 client can't come soon enough. I don't know how they can't get their draw calls under control, but here we are.

Lab was impossible for me today. Trying to navigate traps while playing as my summoner was hell. I ended up dying because the game stuttered for about 2-3 seconds and moved me in a straight line along buzz saws when things were playing catch up and just eviscerated my health bar. Turned it off prompt right after as I was just a few rooms before final Izaro fight.

Rufus

That fucking sucks. I've had to abort lab runs during the last fight before.

Hope my Uber Lab goes well today. I'm CI. 2.3 is not as bad for CI, but still...

Yeah I really wish they fix these performance issues for next league because I feel like I can die at any time because the game decides to take a shit for no reason at all. It feels like opening strongboxes in ambush but with no control of when it happens.

velociraptor

Honestly I'm surprised at seeing these comments. Game runs fantastic and I'm only using a laptop (960M).

Also surprised at how good this game is. It has so much depth. This is my first 'point and click' RPG I've played and I just don't want to stop. Damn this is addicting.

Honestly I'm surprised at seeing these comments. Game runs fantastic and I'm only using a laptop (960M).

Also surprised at how good this game is. It has so much depth. This is my first 'point and click' RPG I've played and I just don't want to stop. Damn this is addicting.

I've mostly been playing on my work PC where I am experiencing most of my issues. My home PC runs it mostly fine given the standard lag spikes this game gets.

V_Arnold

Have you been at the endgame yet? There will be zones when you will most certainly take back this comment :D

velociraptor

Have you been at the endgame yet? There will be zones when you will most certainly take back this comment :D
Well I've only completed the game on normal so far. Doing cruel now. My only complaint is the crappy loot drops. I am not getting anything good for my character. I died so many times in normal, and every boss is able to 1 hit me. :\

Well I've only completed the game on normal so far. Doing cruel now. My only complaint is the crappy loot drops. I am not getting anything good for my character. I died so many times in normal, and every boss is able to 1 hit me. :

About 99% of loot in this game you'll find is crappy. You'll get more at end game but most of it will be useless besides the odd items you can sell for a chaos or so. Loot recipes also help once you get to end game as well. You'll most likely end up buying most of your gear pieces from poe.trade.

If you're getting one shot by bosses it may have to do with your playatyle/you current build. Do you understand the game mechanics regarding skills well? As of 2.3 there's are tons of game mechanics that can be pretty complex to new people who haven't been playing since beta/1.0.

If you need some help/have any questions feel free to ask and I'll see what I can do. I mostly play softcore leagues so I'll be available to help when I can.

Rufus

Two golems (fire and lightning) appreciably boosted my Flameblast Elementalist's damage. I was a litte surprised by this. Elementalist is really, really good in general though. It's hard to justify any other class for non-crit casters.
Going CI wasn't as sketchy as I had feared, either. I had 10k ES, with room to grow. Without stun or freeze immunity, even. Died to bearers at 87. Didn't see them until it was too late. First time I died this way. I should really learn to stop when I get bored... No idea how streamers stay sane.

There's nothing else I want to play right now, so I guess I'm done with Prophecy. Ending with 24 challenges complete. Good enough.

Two golems (fire and lightning) appreciably boosted my Flameblast Elementalist's damage. I was a litte surprised by this. Elementalist is really, really good in general though. It's hard to justify any other class for non-crit casters.
Going CI wasn't as sketchy as I had feared, either. I had 10k ES, with room to grow. Without stun or freeze immunity, even. Died to bearers at 87. Didn't see them until it was too late. First time I died this way. I should really learn to stop when I get bored... No idea how streamers stay sane.

There's nothing else I want to play right now, so I guess I'm done with Prophecy. Ending with 24 challenges complete. Good enough.

They get that $$. I'm sure you would be more invested if that was what you did for a living.

TheFatOne

So GAF I'm definitely going to start a Uber farmer instead of magic find the next league. What are some good Uber farm builds that are cheap enough to use in the beginning of a league?

It's hit or miss. Many people don't have any issues at all, but for those of us who do the game can kill you at any time. If I played normal that would be ok, but since I play HC it's another story entirely. Don't feel like rolling the dice every time I play.

Yeah I really wish they fix these performance issues for next league because I feel like I can die at any time because the game decides to take a shit for no reason at all. It feels like opening strongboxes in ambush but with no control of when it happens.

This is essentially where I am at. Don't like that I'm taking a chance of dying every time I play because the game decides to run like ass for no reason at a critical situation. Like the changes they have added, but they need to get the performance down. New league is the expansion so I am sure there will be performance tweaks.

Rufus

So GAF I'm definitely going to start a Uber farmer instead of magic find the next league. What are some good Uber farm builds that are cheap enough to use in the beginning of a league?
Bladefall mines. Look into Darkee7, he's got a really safe Uber farming build.

So I got my LL aura summoner running pretty well. Don't have Shavs or currency for it so I just capped my chaos res instead and am running a hybrid at the moment so I have enough life unreserved, about 1350, to be able to pop flask in case of high chaos burst damage.

Put on some wondertraps and got some rings with a little IIR on them to try and get some better drops otherwise I'd be running 4 spectres and 10 zombies instead of 3 and 9. Hopefully I can get enough currency to get a Shavs sometime to restructure the build a little to free up some gem slots for vaal skills. Got the build going for around 10 chaos or so and I have a 5l ES chest with that as well.

Stats below:
pLyBsR1.png

TheFatOne

What's the timetable for the next expansion? I didn't like what little I've played of Prophecy, so I'm staying out until the next run

From what I remmber they are on a 13 week schedule or something like that. Heard Chris talk about it on a State of the Exile podcast with ZiggyD. So around September would be the new expansion.
Bladefall mines. Look into Darkee7, he's got a really safe Uber farming build.

Thanks for this. I love me some MF builds because I love just seeing gold everywhere, but Uber can get me shit tons of gems and high level maps. Didn't even run that many Ubers and was getting great returns from it.

Edit: I meant Uber lab, but this build is pretty damn amazing. Might just roll with that one.

Lanrutcon

My Diablo 2 obsessed SO ran across this in some Cracked article or something and made me install it.

And uh...then I played it for 2 days. I have no idea how I missed this game. It's amazing. I'm a level 37 Ranger now, and tonight I'm trying the Labyrinth for the first time.

Deadly

I noticed that some people discovered that I started dumping most of my uniques in the guild stash. Could you just tell me what you took cause I just want to know what's actually worth using

I noticed that some people discovered that I started dumping most of my uniques in the guild stash. Could you just tell me what you took cause I just want to know what's actually worth using

I took a 2H mace because I was building a Quaker. I put several in too. I have several rando uniques I can put in too, but no idea if someone wanted to make a Mei-smasher

inky

My Diablo 2 obsessed SO ran across this in some Cracked article or something and made me install it.

And uh...then I played it for 2 days. I have no idea how I missed this game. It's amazing. I'm a level 37 Ranger now, and tonight I'm trying the Labyrinth for the first time.

Yeah, it is pretty impressive that you missed it considering it's pretty much the dream sequel to Diablo 2. Enjoy!

Top Bottom