• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Zynx

Deadly, have you used poe.trade? Especially in the case of uniques since they are less variable than rares, it's a simple way to get an idea of what something is worth.

Looks good to me. Wonder how it will deal with CoC builds now. Not that I ever get enough currency in leagues to afford one of them anyways.

I booted the game after a very long time. I'm lost. I don't know what to spec my Witch for. I think I was going for a shock build with minions? Can't even remember if I took Minion Instability or if it's a good combo with a lightning build.

I booted the game after a very long time. I'm lost. I don't know what to spec my Witch for. I think I was going for a shock build with minions? Can't even remember if I took Minion Instability or if it's a good combo with a lightning build.

Minion instability is only really useful for leveling IMO. Also if your spec mainly arc or another lightning skill build your minions and the nodes will most likely just be a waste of skill points and links and gimp your build overall.

Now if you were playing summoner using arc as a skill to guide and shock enemies then I would drop minion instability and go for a hybrid necro using spectres. Right now I am running a modified LL auramancer with 10 zombies and 4 spectres. It isn't using Shav's and has full chaos res to deal with it. Very cheap build probably spent about 20 chaos total on it, if that. Able to clear pretty much all content.

Or you could also go the SRS route that is effective as always.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
There is but I'm usually the only one playing after the first month of new leagues. Sometimes one or two people might be on at the same time as me.
Ah, well my steam handle is Error1986 if you want to add me. I don't know what's my login id for the game. How do I verify that?

I don't know if the game uses the steam id, since I'm playing from Steam.

Card Boy

Banned
amazing. Someone want to make a new news thread detailing all the improvements the game has had? I have being out of the loop for the past 1.5 years.

TheFatOne

More new maps are welcome. This is going to have the performance improvements as well right? I should have my new GPU before this comes out at least. With my new pc build being done at the end of September.

Rufus

More new maps are welcome. This is going to have the performance improvements as well right? I should have my new GPU before this comes out at least. With my new pc build being done at the end of September.
It will have multi-threading. I assume (hope) there's more coming.

Looks pretty awesome. New maps are definitely welcome should help the game from getting stale as fast if you usually play every league. I'm really interested in seeing what the new skills will be as well as any balance changes to old skills.

I wasn't able to get my spark character running this league and just stuck to hybrid aura summoner which is weird for me because I usually have 3+ character per league.

KKRT00

amazing. Someone want to make a new news thread detailing all the improvements the game has had? I have being out of the loop for the past 1.5 years.

This is good idea. Make a new thread that highlights all changes to the game since first release, but its also a tons of work ;p

TheFatOne

Those new map bosses are going to be beyond broken. Feel bad for the HC players who are trying to hit 100. Going to be a shit ton of rips early due to how unbalanced they are.
It will have multi-threading. I assume (hope) there's more coming.

I'm just glad we are finally getting performance tweaks. Shit has been rough. They kept adding more and more bullshit without even thinking about the performance hits. Every time they talked about it on the forums it was always believe us guys we are working on performance. Been a long time coming. This should have been priority number one. It's why I just stopped last league. The performance on my machine was abysmal.

V_Arnold

Those new map bosses are going to be beyond broken. Feel bad for the HC players who are trying to hit 100. Going to be a shit ton of rips early due to how unbalanced they are.

I'm just glad we are finally getting performance tweaks. Shit has been rough. They kept adding more and more bullshit without even thinking about the performance hits. Every time they talked about it on the forums it was always believe us guys we are working on performance. Been a long time coming. This should have been priority number one. It's why I just stopped last league. The performance on my machine was abysmal.

Same here. I am not even kidding myself with trying to run it.

Error

being playing the shit out of this lately, the freedom you get with how you want to build your character is something that was sorely missed in d3.

while your build is still as good as the gear you have, there's still some control over what you want your character to specialize in. want a two handed hammer wielding, fire based stun machine? you can do it.

I feel like I'm the one developing the build and not making it exclusively around rng drops.

in d3 if you want to have a pets build WD you NEED Zunimasa's set and SMK without exceptions. SMK is rare as fuck and if you get a shit roll with it then you are boned, good luck finding another. Zunimasa's set is pretty common, but a weak set aside from the 5 pieces passive.

I'm glad that I'm not that bound to gear in this game.

The fact that lots of builds can do most, if not all content, for little investment is a really nice part of this game. Really hope D4 can follow the success this game has in regards to builds. I can see myself playing this game for many more years. Been playing since closed beta personally.

Error

The fact that lots of builds can do most, if not all content, for little investment is a really nice part of this game. Really hope D4 can follow the success this game has in regards to builds. I can see myself playing this game for many more years. Been playing since closed beta personally.

I'm impressed with the amount of content, stuff like player housing (hideouts), daily gauntlet dungeons in the Lords Labyrinth, a mentor system, 3 different difficulty settings, 6 classes (I think), lots of skills, gear etc...

I'm impressed with the amount of content, stuff like player housing (hideouts), daily gauntlet dungeons in the Lords Labyrinth, a mentor system, 3 different difficulty settings, 6 classes (I think), lots of skills, gear etc...

I remember when this game was only 2 acts. Hideouts, lab, and masters are all developments within the last year. Same with act 4. You came in at a good time especially with all the new additions in the next patch.

V_Arnold

I do not know. I actually think PoE is the more unforgiving of the two, and I would like to see D4 copy PoE instead of "fixing" D3. The infinite scaling at the end inevitably leads to a sharp dropoff in build variety, as long as they have different mathematical values associated with them.

In PoE, some stuff being a fixed milestone (like Uber Atziri and certain bosses in late maps) makes it much more "real" , than, say, reaching Rift Tier 49. That is just me though. I would hope Diablo 4 leaves the raw % ad/ap scaling as well, and goes back to fixed damage points for weapons... :D

I do not know. I actually think PoE is the more unforgiving of the two, and I would like to see D4 copy PoE instead of "fixing" D3. The infinite scaling at the end inevitably leads to a sharp dropoff in build variety, as long as they have different mathematical values associated with them.

In PoE, some stuff being a fixed milestone (like Uber Atziri and certain bosses in late maps) makes it much more "real" , than, say, reaching Rift Tier 49. That is just me though. I would hope Diablo 4 leaves the raw % ad/ap scaling as well, and goes back to fixed damage points for weapons... :D

I hope D4 is more like PoE or even more like D2 was. But I know at this point in time that is most likely an impossibility and in D4 you'll be doing 1 trillions damage crits with colorful numbers all over the screen.

Error

I don't know if I understand races/events correctly.

So they are like short leagues or something?

Gothos

I hope D4 is more like PoE or even more like D2 was. But I know at this point in time that is most likely an impossibility and in D4 you'll be doing 1 trillions damage crits with colorful numbers all over the screen.

Considering the fact that Diablo 4 will surely launch on PC and consoles there is no way in hell (ha!) that it will be mechanically deeper game than D3 :(

TheFatOne

I really hope they change how you acquire ascension points. The labyrinth is not fun at all for any builds that don't have huge physical mitigation as a key build component. Also, putting the last point in Uber labs is really unfair for like 90% of the builds as well. Either you have the mitigation to allow you to get through Uber lab or are forced to purchase an Uber run. The labyrinth is just overall a poorly thought out game mechanic that rewards a small percentage of builds. It is not fun to do at all. I don't even start them until I am doing maps and have over leveled the labs like crazy. Out of all the big additions to the game labyrinths was done really poorly. It's just being "hardcore" without thinking through the mechanics of the lab. It's not at all fun. Another tedious addition to the game with poorly thought out mechanics that is not fun or rewarding at all unless you have a build specifically for labs. Lab is fun only if you can walk through all the bullshit. Otherwise it's complete garbage.

I don't mind it so much, and I mostly play summoners so I have like 0 mitigation and what not. Traps do full damage regardless I'm pretty sure, I've never seen anyone actually walk through a trap without taking heavy damage, although high health regen will compensate to an extent. And since they're hp% based, actually have a lower hp pool is better for flask efficiency when walking through a trap. Uber lab is the annoying one, but at the same time the last point isn't really needed for anything, it's just nice to have. We did fine without it before it was added, and difficulty hasn't scaled upwards when it was added.

Farming the enchants though, that's another story, that's pretty bad to do unless you build for it. But for unlocking ascension points, it's just a 10-15mins run 3times per char and you're done until way way later when you have to do uber.

Error

anyone getting annoyed by the microstuttering in this game?

sometimes I get frame spikes for up to 140fps, i don't get it, I have it locked at 60.

what gives?

Zynx

I usually wait until I'm pretty overleveled to do the labyrinth. The normal one by itself doesn't really help anyways, it's the 4th ascendancy point that really makes a difference.

As for performance and stuff - well, I've never had sterling framerates ever playing this game. Every patch there's some new thing that freezes or stutters or whatever.

Heck, I wish performance was improved enough that partying became more prevalent again. PoE's become a solo only game for a number of players.

Cerity

anyone getting annoyed by the microstuttering in this game?

sometimes I get frame spikes for up to 140fps, i don't get it, I have it locked at 60.

what gives?

If you're having microstuttering issues I'd be looking at network/latency/server issues. Lockstep really pronounces any of it, see the whole thing with Raiz ripping in the 48hour race.

I really hope they change how you acquire ascension points. The labyrinth is not fun at all for any builds that don't have huge physical mitigation as a key build component. Also, putting the last point in Uber labs is really unfair for like 90% of the builds as well. Either you have the mitigation to allow you to get through Uber lab or are forced to purchase an Uber run. The labyrinth is just overall a poorly thought out game mechanic that rewards a small percentage of builds. It is not fun to do at all. I don't even start them until I am doing maps and have over leveled the labs like crazy. Out of all the big additions to the game labyrinths was done really poorly. It's just being "hardcore" without thinking through the mechanics of the lab. It's not at all fun. Another tedious addition to the game with poorly thought out mechanics that is not fun or rewarding at all unless you have a build specifically for labs. Lab is fun only if you can walk through all the bullshit. Otherwise it's complete garbage.

It took me until level 90 to unlock uber lab as I play solo only. That was fun. Getting performance issues early in the league also made lab traps a nightmare half the time especially since I rolled summoner and they have practically no mitigation at all. Last league I ran a full block EQ build so lab was a breeze but I cannot stand to do it personally and like many others wait until I am mapping to even attempt it.

I'd feel better if they locked acendancy points behind Malachai kills to give people a reason to have to run through all of act 4 in merciless. Just keep lab/uber lab for people who want to roll gear and farm keys for loot.

Error

running the game at windowed fullscreen fixed my fps problems, no more stuttering.

seems like fullscreen doesn't have vsync on even if you have enable or it's broken, so the fps was all over the place and the stuttering was driving me mad.

decided to keep trying different things, so I tried windowed fullscreen and bam, stuttering gone. weird. but I can finally play this without that annoying stuttering.

running the game at windowed fullscreen fixed my fps problems, no more stuttering.

seems like fullscreen doesn't have vsync on even if you have enable or it's broken, so the fps was all over the place and the stuttering was driving me mad.

decided to keep trying different things, so I tried windowed fullscreen and bam, stuttering gone. weird. but I can finally play this without that annoying stuttering.

I usually play on windowed fullscreen as it is easier to alt tab to poe.trade. Glad to hear your problems are fixed.

Error

Played the shit out of it yesterday now with the stuttering gone. worked my way through Act 2 on Cruel and now currently on Act 3, in the Standard League didnt jump into Prophecy since I didnt know game mechanics well and what builds I do, I'll definitely jump into the next league that is being introduced in the Atlas of Worlds expansion.

I don't know what build I'll go with in the upcoming Essence Challenge League, will probably go with a Ranger or Shadow, then go from there.

TheFatOne

So GAF I think I'm going to change it up this league. I always run flame totem magic first because totems fun/safe, and seeing tons of golds fun. I want to do another magic find build, but I'm not sure what to run. Any suggestions? in the end I still might just run dual totems mf since it's so safe, and I plan on experimenting a bunch in this league. Would like to have at least two different high level magic find builds or one magic find one Uber Atziri or Uber Lab build. Haven't been this excited for a league in a while. The more I read about Atlas the more I like it, and it seems like you will be able to abuse it early which I'm going to take full advantage of.

So GAF I think I'm going to change it up this league. I always run flame totem magic first because totems fun/safe, and seeing tons of golds fun. I want to do another magic find build, but I'm not sure what to run. Any suggestions? in the end I still might just run dual totems mf since it's so safe, and I plan on experimenting a bunch in this league. Would like to have at least two different high level magic find builds or one magic find one Uber Atziri or Uber Lab build. Haven't been this excited for a league in a while. The more I read about Atlas the more I like it, and it seems like you will be able to abuse it early which I'm going to take full advantage of.

Yeah, I also fall back on totems as my first league build. The eq build was very fun, but I never did single-target damage correctly

Cerity

Pretty much any of the builds that lean heavily on skills rather than equipment are good for MF. Skills like Caustic Arrow, Summon Raging spirits or Blade Vortex have always been popular.

I'll probably end up doing a bladefall miner just for lab runs.

Error

I played Ranger for a while and I like her skills. I'm playing a Marauder right now, so a long range character like Ranger could be a nice change of pace.

You could try and SRS MF build for something a little different. Maybe even go CA if you want. Probably a little more exciting than totems but not by much. I think the top 3 new league MF builds are SRS, CA, and Totems in no particular order.

Zynx

If GGG really does deliver with significant performance improvements, it could be more impactful than both the atlas of worlds expansion and essence temp leagues.

If I could party with friends and guildmates again without significantly increasing my chances of dying, that'd be rather nice.

The important thing to take from this change is it's just like the other and is only helpful if the CPU is the bottleneck. I expect many ppl will complain they didn't see any improvements because they're still GPU capped. Some people run the game on toasters and in some cases in more advanced programmable microwaves, so yeah.

But the changes are apparently very good for a lot of people since the game was mostly CPU capped if you have a semi decent graphics card since it's not that demanding in terms of graphics. Well the first batch, particle optimization hasn't been tested yet I think.

New patch looks pretty strong overall, lots of nice changes, new leagues not so great but shouldn't be alright. We'll get detailed notes on wednesday(I think that's NZ time, so probably tuesday late for the US and in the middle of the night for EU) so we can finally see what they're doing with balance too. Supposedly cast on crit is getting hit with the nerf bat.

Top Bottom