• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Dahbomb

started a LA character and now I'm starting to remember why I was so put off by evasion builds. Wonder how HC players manage it.
Evasion builds are fine but you still need a high HP pool.

Lightning Arrow builds use Kaom's Heart and two bows (that you swap into) in Hardcore. And get as much life as possible on the nodes.

inky

I haven't been playing due to other commitments. Also, my game installs HDD died and I haven't re-downloaded the game yet.

I only post this because I know room in the GAF guild is limited and I put an "active for 3.0" label on my character when it hasn't been the case. If the guild leaders need room my spot can be taken, no worries (the label also includes my forum name). I'll try to change the tag back to inactive as soon as my new HDD arrives.

Finally bought a Kaom's Heart and Sin's Rebirth. All that's left for my build really is a Taste of Hate. The luxury items would be The Retch, and a 40% damage helm enchant.

Time to push the atlas and get to The Shaper.

Rufus

I hate the last Kitava fight. That is all.

This time it was the add phase. Couldn't even tell what killed me.

I definitely wasn't prepared to fight
Innocence
died around 5 times to him, I seriously need to acquire better gear because I've been neglecting it for quite some time.

Inskipp

Experienced this graphical bug earlier in Oba's, anyone know what might be causing this?

k6cN9pd.jpg

rickyson1

so I set up a shop on poetrade and set my currency tab to public but it isn't showing my stock what am I doing wrong?

I also don't have the blue API icon

Dahbomb

Why not just attach Arcane Surge to Lightning Warp as a 5 link on the chest? That way in the 6 link you can use a different, better damage gem.

Also why not something like Elementalist or Inquisitor for this build?

squidyj

Why not just attach Arcane Surge to Lightning Warp as a 5 link on the chest? That way in the 6 link you can use a different, better damage gem.

Also why not something like Elementalist or Inquisitor for this build?

Elementalist and Inquisitor are about on par with 4 ascendancy points in assassin, with Ambush and Assassinate Assassin pulls quite significantly ahead. Particularly when you consider the propensity to one-shot packs with a 99.75% crit chance on the first hit. It also has built in power charge generation which works fine.
Elementalist of course can handle reflect better but having started with an elementalist Assassin feels much better.

As for Arcane Surge It's possible that warping around could provide higher total dps for all the time i'm not warping but I think I prefer the smoothness of just spamming magma orb, it already gets up to >300k dps only counting one hit per cast.

Edit: The real question is why am I still running CWDT IC when I have all this avoidance, blind and evasion and vaal grace. doesn't make sense.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Any tips for a noob playing a Ranger using Lightning Strike? I'm new to the game. (I started playing this with the Beta on Xbox and now I finally got around to playing the full version)

Should I stack up on DEX?

rickyson1

so I set up a shop on poetrade and set my currency tab to public but it isn't showing my stock what am I doing wrong?

I also don't have the blue API icon

randomly started working eventually

was doing it right but for some reason it took like 5 hours for my stash tab to register as public or something

Dahbomb

Any tips for a noob playing a Ranger using Lightning Strike? I'm new to the game. (I started playing this with the Beta on Xbox and now I finally got around to playing the full version)

Should I stack up on DEX?
Go back a few pages and I have written some notes.

If you are just making a build on your own using Lightning Strike then here are some strats I can give you:

There's no need to scale Dexterity, you should have enough Dexterity. The main stats are usually there to meet stat requirement for items and as a Ranger you will have enough Dex to equip any green item. For a Lightning Strike build you are more likely to be starved on Intelligence (as Lightning is often associated with blue gems in this game, ice with green and fire with red).

You want to probably be using Dual Wielding Hyaon's Fury for this build, they are two cheap unique swords that give a lot of Lightning damage per Frenzy charge. Other weapons for this build include Hand of Wisdom and Action or Touch of Anguish which are claws. So based on which weapon pair you want to use, then you would be scaling that weapon on the skill tree. Dreamfeathers are a great alternative sword option too.

First thing you want to know are the mechanics of Lightning Strike. It is an initial melee hit with follow up projectile hits. That means that you don't want to be scaling either melee or projectile damage as it will split up the damage. Secondly 50% of your physical damage is converted to Lightning damage, meaning 50% is still physical and if you scale just lightning damage or physical damage it will not be optimum. So there is a fix for this:

Here are the 6 links you should follow:

Lightning Strike
Added Lighting (since you are going to be scaling Lightning damage anyway, this benefits both the melee and projectile hit)
Elemental damage with attacks (since you will be scaling Elemental damage on this build which benefits both melee and no projectile)
Multistrike (makes you attack faster)
Physical to Lightning (this is piece of the puzzle that converts your last 50% of physical damage to lightning so that you have full lightning damage on your character)
Elemental Focus (you will not be a crit based build with this but if you want to crit based then replace this with Increase Crit Chance or Increased Critical damage).

Based on gem choices and the items: You will be going Ranger - Raider ascendancy to get easy access to Frenzy charges.

For the skill tree, you should focus on getting these points efficiently:

*Elemental Overload keystone gives a massive damage boost. Plus there are lots of intelligence nodes to help you equip your max level gems.

*The top left node that gives you dual curses. You need this for the build because it's hard to get lightning penetration as a Ranger. You are going to be running Conductivity and Elemental Weakness with Blasphemy. You probably need an Enlighten lvl3 gem too to have enough manage to work with. If you don't want to run dual curse then put in a Lightning Penetration gem in your 6 link instead of one of the blue gems.

*You also need an Essence Worm ring and socket in a Wrath gem for a ton of damage.

*Get all 3 Frenzy charges as that's vital for this build.

*Get all the efficient Life nodes on your way, you probably would need to Path through the Scion Life rectangle.

*Fill up rest of the points with Elemental damage and penetration, attack speed, some life leech and the Phase Arobatics keystone. Get all the jewel sockets that are within two points of your tree.

As far as affixes on gearing goes:

*Get capped resistances.
*Get life on every item you can get.
*You want to be using high evasion gear as this is a life/evasion character. So slink boots, gripped gloves type items.
*For offensive stats you want weapon Elemental damage on jewelry and belt. You also want added Lightning damage to attacks and attack speed. That means probably an Intelligence + Strength amulet, a Leather Belt and an Opal Ring with weapon Elemental damage, resistances, life and added lightning attack on the ring and amulet. Before an Opal ring you can just use any resistance ring.
*For chest you can use Belly of the Beast, Lightning Coil, Kintsugi or Queen of the Forest. For Boots you can use Darkray Vector (for the plus 1 Frenzy charge) or Atziri Steps. You can even get a Starkonja Helm but too many uniques mean that you may not have enough defenses.

*For support gems:

Already mentioned : Elemental weakness, Conductivity, Enlighten, Blasphemy. All these require a lot of Intelligence to level up so make sure you have that.

Wrath in Essence Worm

Whirling Blade - Faster Attack - Fortify - : This will be your mobility skill. Put this in your weapon.

Cast on damage taken - Immortal Call - Lightning Golem (which gives you attack speed and a small lightning damage buff).

Vaal Lightning Strike - Multistrike - Weapon Elemental damage - Added Lightning damage.

This is a nuke you can toss in for big fights. Put these on your gloves. You can completely replace this with an Ancestral Protector though (links would be Faster attacks, Culling Strike/Blind and Elemental damage with attacks).

Vaal Grace - Vaal Haste - Vaal Lightning Trap - Increased Duration

More utility Vaal skills to buff your self with in big fights. Probably remove one of these if you find there are too many keys to hit.

For Flasks, Vessel of Vinktar and Bismuth Wise Oak are the best ones. Silver Flask, Atziri Promise and Stibnite/Jade are solid too if you plan to run Queen of the Forest. As a Raider you are immune to Shock anyway, just get Bleed and Curse immunity on your utility flasks.

Note: If you are going for Hand of Wisdom and Action build then you need to stack even more Intelligence and Dexterity. You may even need to get an Astramentis amulet but this is expensive stuff so for a beginner I would recommend going non crit based Hyaon Fury Raider using life and evasion.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Go back a few pages and I have written some notes.

If you are just making a build on your own using Lightning Strike then here are some strats I can give you:

There's no need to scale Dexterity, you should have enough Dexterity. The main stats are usually there to meet stat requirement for items and as a Ranger you will have enough Dex to equip any green item. For a Lightning Strike build you are more likely to be starved on Intelligence (as Lightning is often associated with blue gems in this game, ice with green and fire with red).

You want to probably be using Dual Wielding Hyaon's Fury for this build, they are two cheap unique swords that give a lot of Lightning damage per Frenzy charge. Other weapons for this build include Hand of Wisdom and Action or Touch of Anguish which are claws. So based on which weapon pair you want to use, then you would be scaling that weapon on the skill tree. Dreamfeathers are a great alternative sword option too.

First thing you want to know are the mechanics of Lightning Strike. It is an initial melee hit with follow up projectile hits. That means that you don't want to be scaling either melee or projectile damage as it will split up the damage. Secondly 50% of your physical damage is converted to Lightning damage, meaning 50% is still physical and if you scale just lightning damage or physical damage it will not be optimum. So there is a fix for this:

Here are the 6 links you should follow:

Lightning Strike
Added Lighting (since you are going to be scaling Lightning damage anyway, this benefits both the melee and projectile hit)
Elemental damage with attacks (since you will be scaling Elemental damage on this build which benefits both melee and no projectile)
Multistrike (makes you attack faster)
Physical to Lightning (this is piece of the puzzle that converts your last 50% of physical damage to lightning so that you have full lightning damage on your character)
Elemental Focus (you will not be a crit based build with this but if you want to crit based then replace this with Increase Crit Chance or Increased Critical damage).

Based on gem choices and the items: You will be going Ranger - Raider ascendancy to get easy access to Frenzy charges.

For the skill tree, you should focus on getting these points efficiently:

*Elemental Overload keystone gives a massive damage boost. Plus there are lots of intelligence nodes to help you equip your max level gems.

*The top left node that gives you dual curses. You need this for the build because it's hard to get lightning penetration as a Ranger. You are going to be running Conductivity and Elemental Weakness with Blasphemy. You probably need an Enlighten lvl3 gem too to have enough manage to work with. If you don't want to run dual curse then put in a Lightning Penetration gem in your 6 link instead of one of the blue gems.

*You also need an Essence Worm ring and socket in a Wrath gem for a ton of damage.

*Get all 3 Frenzy charges as that's vital for this build.

*Get all the efficient Life nodes on your way, you probably would need to Path through the Scion Life rectangle.

*Fill up rest of the points with Elemental damage and penetration, attack speed, some life leech and the Phase Arobatics keystone. Get all the jewel sockets that are within two points of your tree.

As far as affixes on gearing goes:

*Get capped resistances.
*Get life on every item you can get.
*You want to be using high evasion gear as this is a life/evasion character. So slink boots, gripped gloves type items.
*For offensive stats you want weapon Elemental damage on jewelry and belt. You also want added Lightning damage to attacks and attack speed. That means probably an Intelligence + Strength amulet, a Leather Belt and an Opal Ring with weapon Elemental damage, resistances, life and added lightning attack on the ring and amulet. Before an Opal ring you can just use any resistance ring.
*For chest you can use Belly of the Beast, Lightning Coil, Kintsugi or Queen of the Forest. For Boots you can use Darkray Vector (for the plus 1 Frenzy charge) or Atziri Steps. You can even get a Starkonja Helm but too many uniques mean that you may not have enough defenses.

*For support gems:

Already mentioned : Elemental weakness, Conductivity, Enlighten, Blasphemy. All these require a lot of Intelligence to level up so make sure you have that.

Wrath in Essence Worm

Whirling Blade - Faster Attack - Fortify - : This will be your mobility skill. Put this in your weapon.

Cast on damage taken - Immortal Call - Lightning Golem (which gives you attack speed and a small lightning damage buff).

Vaal Lightning Strike - Multistrike - Weapon Elemental damage - Added Lightning damage.

This is a nuke you can toss in for big fights. Put these on your gloves. You can completely replace this with an Ancestral Protector though (links would be Faster attacks, Culling Strike/Blind and Elemental damage with attacks).

Vaal Grace - Vaal Haste - Vaal Lightning Trap - Increased Duration

More utility Vaal skills to buff your self with in big fights. Probably remove one of these if you find there are too many keys to hit.

For Flasks, Vessel of Vinktar and Bismuth Wise Oak are the best ones. Silver Flask, Atziri Promise and Stibnite/Jade are solid too if you plan to run Queen of the Forest. As a Raider you are immune to Shock anyway, just get Bleed and Curse immunity on your utility flasks.

Note: If you are going for Hand of Wisdom and Action build then you need to stack even more Intelligence and Dexterity. You may even need to get an Astramentis amulet but this is expensive stuff so for a beginner I would recommend going non crit based Hyaon Fury Raider using life and evasion.
:O

You're doing god's work. Thanks for all those informations. This will help me a lot :)

Dahbomb

I actually updated my Lightning Strike build from 2 leagues ago with the new changes.

I think now it's better to go Dreamfeathers with Queen of the Forest. That's because now you can scale the Physical damage better with Ruthless. You don't need Physical to Lightning damage gem anymore but if you still want the projectiles to be doing the main damage in mapping I think Physical to Lightning is still the best as it boosts both the melee and the projectile component.

This is Path of Building pastebin for the build:

https://pastebin.com/vytkdgUg

LVL 97 tree. The jewels and the Opal Ring are kinda too GG but the rest of the gear is not that hard to get as they are average rolls on life/resistances/damage. Over 5K life, 40K evasion, 46% attack dodge, 40% spell dodge, 700k-800K DPS with everything up (not including Vaal skills of course). All the items are individually cheap.

Main issue with the build is that the Queen of the Forest has all but one off color. It's 1G 2B 3R. It's very hard to get off colors like that on Queen of the Forest. Recommendation for that is to use a Belly of the Beast instead, much easier to get those colors on it. You lose some damage and movement speed but you gain more life.

Dahbomb

What's the benefit behind a Vaal skill over a normal one?
Vaal Skill are USUALLY just support skills. Think of them as powered up gems on a cooldown.

Like for example Vaal Haste. It's basically a short duration big haste (faster speed on everything) but it's not up all the time like regular Haste aura. You kill some enemies to build up the stacks and then you can activate it. While farming maps, Vaal skills tend to have very high uptimes but against bosses they aren't up a lot so you want to use them as soon as the boss fight starts to get maximum value.

Vaal Lightning Trap is the same, it forces shock status on the opponent which makes it great for bossing and you get multiple charges on it too. It's not something you are using as a main skill. So think of these as utility/support skills to help out your character. You generally don't use Vaal Skills in replacement for regular gems but as support to them.

Now some builds use Vaal gems as the main skill and these are almost exclusively speed farm builds. Vaal Fireball, Vaal Spark and Vaal Power Siphon are the big there here. You essentially just use some regular gem to gain stacks and once you gain stack for the first Vaal activation, that Vaal activation keeps up the uptime for seemingly forever (since you get stacks back during the Vaal gem is going on). So you go into a pack, use a Vaal gem, it refreshes the stacks, go to another pack, Vaal gem and repeat. You are then forced to use stuff like Sacrificial Harvest which increases Vaal stack gain when you kill enemies, sometimes multiple Sacrificial Harvest. Which is why they aren't good at bossing but great at mapping.

So how much do full parties tank framerates? I just experienced dropping to like 55, when regular dungeon stuff puts me to around 120. Just playing Necro with 9 Skelly, 9 Zombie and 3 Spectres. What happens in a party full of necros?

The game makes me wish it had a players 8 mode. I rarely find public parties that actually party, and I live in OCE so timezone isn't a match for majority of GAF.

Dahbomb

Is there something wrong with the Achievements in the game?

I killed the final boss of Beyond (The "End") but I had killed him twice before in different leagues before. Why did I just get an achievement for it? A bunch of my other achievements are like this too where I know I have finished them but I don't have the credit for them (like Shaper kill, Pale Court, Breachlord).

Was there some achievement reset with 3.0?

Tom Penny

How many maps does it take you to be able to do uber lab? Just did my 500th map and still missing one trial (have 5 out of 6) :(

Go to global 820 chat usually someone will have the trial you need for free or just tip them a chaos. All you have to do is get to the end of the trial and you will be able to try uber lab after that.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Is there something wrong with the Achievements in the game?

I killed the final boss of Beyond (The "End") but I had killed him twice before in different leagues before. Why did I just get an achievement for it? A bunch of my other achievements are like this too where I know I have finished them but I don't have the credit for them (like Shaper kill, Pale Court, Breachlord).

Was there some achievement reset with 3.0?

Yeah i noticed this when I started back on the 25th. Some of them aren't triggering or popping early. They also don't match between steam and the game itself.

For example I have the steam achievement for upgrading all god powers(pantheon?) on the 1st day. I also have the one for doing a master's daily quest on steam but not in game and a couple more that aren't synced up.

Some also seem impossible to get like the waypoint one. I've fully cleared every area and it still says 90/91. Or the one to use an engineering orb on a strongbox.

rickyson1

how are white opal rings still so expensive?

I get that not many people do colosseum and that they are used in a very popular build but they don't exactly seem particularly hard to get,i've been testing out various things with breaches the past couple days and so far got 4 of them in like 10 maps and easily sold 3 of them for 35c each and the latest one I just got is item level 84 and I should be able to get like 70 for it from the looks of things

have I just gotten exceptionally lucky or what?

edit: make that 5

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Elemental conversion/spell builds are in.

Baliis

how are white opal rings still so expensive?

I get that not many people do colosseum and that they are used in a very popular build but they don't exactly seem particularly hard to get,i've been testing out various things with breaches the past couple days and so far got 4 of them in like 10 maps and easily sold 3 of them for 35c each and the latest one I just got is item level 84 and I should be able to get like 70 for it from the looks of things

have I just gotten exceptionally lucky or what?

edit: make that 5

You're lucky. In prob 20+ maps or so I've gotten 1.

Lack of movement speed is usually made up for by a high attack speed movement skill, and being able to run Temp Chains maps is amazing. Not for every build though, that's for sure.

Eh, done for the night. Kitava kept one shotting me. I found a topic on the bug forum mentioning the same thing. He retried a few times and got the same result. I'll try again tomorr.w

rickyson1

F00A7E520928A661482E3B6E18D15CEAD038F26D

also got a primordial might earlier

edit: now the games trolling me,I just got a victario's flight,a chernobog's pillar,and a the ignomon within a half hour of each other

I don't see how anyone could play this HC. I've been insta-killed by bosses with moves you can barely react to. That and how you kind of take an extra step or 2 before stopping

Also, it's starting to get kind of samey. I didn't realize the acts 6+ are just going through the old areas...

Dahbomb

I don't see how anyone could play this HC. I've been insta-killed by bosses with moves you can barely react to. That and how you kind of take an extra step or 2 before stopping

Also, it's starting to get kind of samey. I didn't realize the acts 6+ are just going through the old areas...
You play hardcore by over leveling and over gearing the content in advance.

Rufus

You don't actually need to overlevel most bosses in the game, but twink gear is a good idea, yeah. Leveling uniques are a godsend, Tabula Rasa especially. Once you have them lined up it's smooth, with little to no grinding until the end.

I'm leveling a Ball Lightning Inquisitor this time. Innocence almost got me with his bullet hell attack. Kitava's add phase was sketchy, too. Ported out to switch from dual wands to wand + shield and then later switched out my boots, too, because I couldn't kite as well with my 10% movespeed dumpster boots I had been wearing since level 1... Ahem.

Now it's smooth sailing again until round 2 with Kitava. Scared already. orz

Top Bottom