• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Zynx

Wow, path of nerf-everything-except-flameblast-proliferation.

But then again, most of the nerfs weren't unexpected from my point of view. Mastercrafting made everyone more powerful overall at a relatively cheap price, and all the reddit whining about crit did lead to results...

I'm really, really surprised flameblast was untouched. It was extremely prevalent in the 1week, and flameblast burn prolif doesn't rely on crit at all. I expect it be super popular now, and spells in general will probably become more popular too.

Lightning coil is pretty bad now, in my opinion. Would rather use a belly in almost all circumstances. Cloak of Defiance is still good.

RIP to my aegis aurora duelist. The only nerf I'm really upset about is removing the hybrid mod from mastercrafting. (I had been hoping that GGG would add it for spellcasters!) Well, and the crit damage gem nerf also stings.

Any build recomendations?
(ranged char if possible)

Just an idea would be nice :)

I have never made a viable archer build (I keep forgetting that they will eventually get hit and actually need damage mitigation), though archers have an updated tree area and neat new PVP skills, quivers, etc. that should make them more exciting again.

My "ranged" character from last season was actually a Spectral Throw character. Again, I'm probably going to try out an Archer again this season. The two most popular builds I know of involve Lightning Arrow or Poison Arrow

Possiblities for more damage is nice.

But yeah I'm more concerned about staying alive.

I mean is an armour/evasion duelist build possible in hardcore? It should be imo, but I can't see how it could ever work. The first big physical hit would one shot you.

It's not like this is a new problem, melee has been far behind ranged for a very long time, Vaal pact pre nerf was probably the last time melee builds were up there and those were all dagger ci.

From watching streams in the past year I've seen 3 hardcore builds in late game. Ground slam + shield super tanky, no damage. Ground slam stun locker (need to be in party, can't stun map bosses with any consistency) and the bloodseeker offhand leecher. Could also probably throw in hege's staff, perma immortal call build but I've not seen it in action.

Totems seem to be in a good spot now. I know that's gonna be my first build to make some money. After that, prolly 2h sword cleaver.

I don't get why everyone keeps saying that.

Totems are still nerfed into oblivion (due to back in the day from old Spark days when they nerfed totems cast speed and damage). Now they might survive a little longer if you're rocking Discipline or something.

Only totem in a good place right now is Shockwave Totem. It's going to be incredibly popular again this league.

V_Arnold

Totems are still nerfed into oblivion (due to back in the day from old Spark days when they nerfed totems cast speed and damage). Now they might survive a little longer if you're rocking Discipline or something.

Only totem in a good place right now is Shockwave Totem. It's going to be incredibly popular again this league.

Did you miss the leagues of searing bond users in the previous two leagues? :D I was amongst them!

Searing bond totems are fine. They can get you into dominus-farm "braindead style" on every single new league. They are low maintenance, allow you to build full defensive and just hope for a few +1 skill gems on the scepter (+1 fire too, if I remember right), and you are set.

Searing bond builds were immensely popular last league (I mained one for a month, although I decided on that without knowing how popular it will be :p), and although it got nerfed a bit, it is still not enough to make it useless.

Zynx

Managed to accumulate a few cloaks, coils, crests, and ungil's and craft 3 weapons before downtime, but really wanted to craft more.

As a player who primarily plays standard, I'm strangely demotivated to play by the removal of the hybrid physical % mastercraft mod. It might seem minor, but it's actually a huge change. First, I was considering trying out low-level PvP, but now that deck is totally stacked against me and other new participants because it's very difficult and expensive to craft a comparable weapon to those that were crafted when the mod was available. To be honest, I actually expect PvP to fade out very quickly unless GGG does something about this.

As well, I have no motivation to play anything melee with the block nerfs, except for the slight desire to try creating a cycloner, which has been quashed by the removal of the crafted mod, because it'll be much harder to obtain a reasonable weapon to use with it.

A whole bunch of build ideas I had in mind to try were destroyed by the patch. At first I didn't think much of it, but when I went down through the list, there's hardly anything left I want to try, other than low-life arc.

I expect the Standard population to fall. A lot of people in my friendslist didn't seem enthusiastic about the patch once the final patch notes came out, and I lost much of the enthusiasm I had as well. (Kammie here too seems to feel similarly.) Some Rampage players might linger in Standard due to having leveled masters and not wanting to do so again, which I originally thought would augment the Standard population, but now I'm not so sure that'll be enough.

I might give torment a try with a flameblaster since I've never really tried it in earnest and it's super obvious that it'll be a strong build, but I'm not going to commit that much to it.

Any build recomendations?
(ranged char if possible)

Just an idea would be nice :)
As a new player, I highly suggest you play a spellcaster of some sort. Damage in weapon-based builds depend highly on your weapon, and as a new player you don't have much currency to spend. Spellcasters, however, have damage that scale primarily with gem level, and your gems will gain levels as you gain experience. It's true that a good wand or sceptre can make a big difference with spellcaster damage as well, but I feel that spellcasters in general do much better without good gear. Heck, I believe most of the top ranking players in the 1-week challenge (where players had a week to play, starting with nothing) were spellcasters.

Well, the totem support gems (spell totem and ranged attack totem) were nerfed to oblivion and are crap, with less damage and less attack/cast speed. But the active totem gems are still great - flame totem, shockwave, searing bond.

squadr0n

Havent had a chance to log it yet since the update. How do they deal with the passive skill tree, do they let you respec or is you character just screwed? Ive got a build I was working toward that can work around the update if I have the right amount of repec points to use. Although starting over wouldnt be that hard, just got to act 2 for the second time, three wont be that bad.

Also is the Gaf Guild still active?

Havent had a chance to log it yet since the update. How do they deal with the passive skill tree, do they let you respec or is you character just screwed? Ive got a build I was working toward that can work around the update if I have the right amount of repec points to use. Although starting over wouldnt be that hard, just got to act 2 for the second time, three wont be that bad.

Also is the Gaf Guild still active?

You get all of your allocated points back for I think all characters

After thinking about it, shitty latency probably killed me. I'm getting this issue where I'm like 70ms in the instance, then going from and to the same instance, it jumps to 300ms. I did see the diamond shrine and ran from it, but with 300-500ms lag, no one can escape that shit.

I swear to god i am going to delete this shit, it literally takes half an hour to download and unpack a 9 meg update on Steam.

Well either steam version is fucked and you should do the standalone client.

Also, there's a fragmentation problem with PoE. I do fresh installs every new league because you'll see you get left behind with an extra 4 gigs after uninstalling.

I swear to god i am going to delete this shit, it literally takes half an hour to download and unpack a 9 meg update on Steam.
I have the exact same problem. Absolutely hate it, but any time it happens I just fire up something else until the download completes. Also when I start up the game I go and make a coffee, shocking start up time.

TheFatOne

The desync is absolutely horrendous right now. I'm only using molten strike, and the desync is incredibly bad. Far worse so far then every other league and it isn't even close.

Rufus

I had the same issue. Stopping and resuming the 'download' seems to have unfucked it. I wasn't watching it the entire time though, so it may have just been ready anyway.

Kammie

You hit 90 before maps? Catabombs?

I don't think I've ever hit 90 on any character.
They mysteriously die long before. Ahem.
No, I just do 77 rotations. "A few maps" is an exaggeration, but it doesn't take long to hit 90 this way at all. It's fast and painless.

I tried the Blitz PvP event the other day. I was getting one/two-shotted pretty much every other match. It was fun for a little bit but it's just crazy how this can be done by level 28 characters. It's gonna be very difficult for people to have fun in tournaments, as they'll be dominated by people with perfect gear. Further balancing is probably needed.

So I finally burned out on D3 hardcore and figured I would see what all the fuss is about in Path of Exile.

Whatthehell. The complexity of this game makes D3 feel very shallow.

That passive skill tree is pretty intimidating.

I really like the concept of skill gems and then linking them to support gems.

So far I have just been running around in hardcore (I picked Bloodlines- not sure what this means but sounded cool lol) and having just dicking around. I feel like I am probably jacking up my lvl 16 Templar by spending these points without any real plan of what I am wanting to build.

But I gotta ask... the thing that bothers me the most... does the Templar ever get any pants?

Kalnos

Banned
But I gotta ask... the thing that bothers me the most... does the Templar ever get any pants?

It's a meme at this point, so he probably never will.

Lightning Tendrils + Herald of Thunder is fun as hell. I haven't played since Nemesis so there are tons of new skills.

So I finally burned out on D3 hardcore and figured I would see what all the fuss is about in Path of Exile.

Whatthehell. The complexity of this game makes D3 feel very shallow.

That passive skill tree is pretty intimidating.

I really like the concept of skill gems and then linking them to support gems.

So far I have just been running around in hardcore (I picked Bloodlines- not sure what this means but sounded cool lol) and having just dicking around. I feel like I am probably jacking up my lvl 16 Templar by spending these points without any real plan of what I am wanting to build.

The passive tree is a lot more tame and clean nowadays. About a year and a half ago it just a mess of life clusters everywhere and that's pretty all you took. So as long as you take the things that work with the skills you want(Along with HP), you'll be okay. Not the best by any means but you'll get by enough to help out the next character that comes along with more money and items. Hopefully you'll also learn a few things with that first one and apply it to the next to make better tree paths and skill/item choices.

HAHAHAHA
No.

It's a meme at this point, so he probably never will.

Lightning Tendrils + Herald of Thunder is fun as hell. I haven't played since Nemesis so there are tons of new skills.

Also try Herald of ice for that sweet shatter AoE damage since you'll be picking up elementalist and celestial punishment with tendrils. I still have so much HP to pick up too, this ride never ends.

TheFatOne

The desync is starting to drive me crazy. I can't even play a searing bond build because it's that fucking bad right now. Joining a party for me would be committing suicide. My only hope now is to play during non peak hours which sucks balls.

Rufus

My Static Strike Duelist is already dead, didn't even reach merciless. That's what I get for farming Docks with 2% fire resist. On the upside, I've found 7 Chaos and 1 Exalt during his short life. :3

Not sure what to make next. Kinda want to make and Incinerator again.

Had another illegitimate death due to desync. I'm absolutely done with this game.

Man, that sucks. I'm not sure if it's your network provider or your use of skills (crit, cyclone, etc.) that lead you down a dangerous road. Why not try Torment? I heard it's really fun and you don't have to worry about stupid desync deaths

TheFatOne

Man, that sucks. I'm not sure if it's your network provider or your use of skills (crit, cyclone, etc.) that lead you down a dangerous road. Why not try Torment? I heard it's really fun and you don't have to worry about stupid desync deaths

Running duel searing bond totems. Sitting at 10k armor level 69 everything capped. Just farming Docks for levels, and masters. Normal big pack of mobs are there which is no big deal. I try to be safe by moving towards the open area so I'm not hemmed in. Didn't want to use a flask and run because of the small openings to try and avoid desync. I start moving forward it kicks me back. I try again it kicks me back. I used /oos, and everything seems to be ok. Until suddenly this bullshit game thinks I moved forward from where I was putting me a screen away right in the middle of a giant pack of mobs. On top of that there was a magic pack with the ice rain. Tried to logout, but died. There was zero I could have done in that situation. If they ever decide to really try and reduce the desync I'll give this game another chance. Until then it's just not worth the headache.

Kammie

Actually, the desync has been getting worse and worse. Honestly, you can't trust 80% of the things you see on your screen. Usually you're only hitting mobs because you're namelocking them, but when I hit my /oos macro, I see I'm almost NEVER standing where I thought I was. In fact, just now I even died again at lvl 93 to desync.... all my deaths in this game are seriously due to technical problems, or offscreen reflect.

After 2800 hours and 500 bucks in purchases, I just uninstalled. I ran over 25 alched 75 maps and got 2 75s and one 77 in return, a few sub-70s, and then just 0 maps most runs. The drops in this game are SHIT, I've only seen 1 GG item drop for other another player in all this time (a Kaom's), and the only reason people play is because they either invest money on it or are somehow addicted. I'm just very pissed at how difficult it is to genuinely enjoy the game without it fucking you over somehow. It's time to take a break. The PvP season was going to suck anyway, there's no way to compete against even decent LLD players and their gear.

Rufus

I've been mapping with ~950 armour... I had so many close calls. If it weren't for my Immortal Call set-up I would have died a long time ago.

I've been mapping with ~950 armour... I had so many close calls. If it weren't for my Immortal Call set-up I would have died a long time ago.

I've got Reckoning and Vengeance where this setup should be, because I'm missing CWDT and have no currency for it. I'm alright for now. I'm surprised how often they trigger for being a ranged character.

Rufus

And dead. Extra phys Rhoa charge. I hit the wrong pot, too, health instead of my Granite. RIP that character.

Not sure what to do next. Kinetic Blast looks appealing.

Rufus

OK. Kinetic Blast is amazing. Indoor maps turn into a complete joke. And I'm not even using the CoC Frostwall variant, which would be even more insane. No way this isn't getting nerfed by the end of the league, but with Flameblast untouched, who knows.

Also, I got lucky yesterday. Bought a Voll's Protector and 5-linked it in a couple of fuses. Then found a decent Belly of the Beast on offer for 1ex, which I immediately bought. Haven't managed to 6-socket it so far.

Then today I found a Maelstrom of Chaos. Guess what Merveil dropped?

UnrZDUl.jpg

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I had beed playing this holidays, i didn't saw anyone beside Mike in the guild :/

Is pretty dead :((

Card Boy

Banned

Maybe on the GAF side but according to the Steam numbers the game is still doing very well for itself and is maintaining it player base.

Q1kz9.png

If you look at the wave graph over a year it goes up and down for when new expansions hit the game.

Gromph

Staff Member
Maybe on the GAF side but according to the Steam numbers the game is still doing very well for itself and is maintaining it player base.

Q1kz9.png

If you look at the wave graph over a year it goes up and down for when new expansions hit the game.

Yeah, i mean the guild.

I had been mapping alone, like all my friend list/guild is offline.

I hope the people will come back for 1.4

I had beed playing this holidays, i didn't saw anyone beside Mike in the guild :/

If there are GAFers playing, they're in Bloodlines, not Torment. The Guild Stash tells me so, which is sad, since I just dipped into Torment (and picked the worst possible class to play for it: Summoner)

Gromph

Staff Member
If there are GAFers playing, they're in Bloodlines, not Torment. The Guild Stash tells me so, which is sad, since I just dipped into Torment (and picked the worst possible class to play for it: Summoner)

With all the desync i play only in Standard.

Plus doesn't matter the league, in the guild people shows.

bokn

Banned

Q1kz9.png

It looks like it slowly declining to be honest.

Which is a real shame - I absolutely loved this game during Nemesis, ripped 6 or so characters and I didn't mind.

Now every time I come back at the start of the expansion I just feel burnt out on the game after a character or a half, while trying to recapture the fun I had during Nemesis. Somehow I've lost that feeling, and the game feels a little samey and repetitive atm.

I'm hoping when they release the new act the game will feel great again, but for now I'm sad I cant enjoy it as much anymore.

KKRT00

Q1kz9.png

Tons of people play through native client or Garena.
But game definitely deserve slightly higher community.

Top Bottom