• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

TheFatOne

FML Ripped to a mob I haven't seen before. Don't think I will have the time to make a new character since I'm in school :(

Edit: Will just occasionally use my magic find marauder in softcore when I wan to play. I have tons of shit in my stash that I'm going to throw into the guild stash. Look in the last three of four pages for my stuff. I'm going to throw in all my currency as well. later on today.

Rufus

Reeep.

I died on my Templar too. That's the third character this league. Don't feel too broken up about it since I couldn't decide on a spell to use. Back to Duelist. This time Dual Strike, going for max block. I love how OP it feels with even semi-decent weapons.

TheFatOne

Reeep.

I died on my Templar too. That's the third character this league. Don't feel too broken up about it since I couldn't decide on a spell to use. Back to Duelist. This time Dual Strike, going for max block. I love how OP it feels with even semi-decent weapons.
I don't feel bad about loosing my character either. So long as it's not due to desync I'm fine. My death was just because I underestimated a mob I was handling pretty easily at the time. Didn't know that once I got him down to low health he had special abilities that lets him do more damage. Just wish I had the time to play another character, but unfortunately I don't. Going to have to wait until the next new league in December.

Rufus

Similar situation here. It was the summoner exile. Thought I could take it easy and make a clean escape when my health got low. Ran over a corpse, she exploded it, "resurrect in town". I need to get better about immediately healing up.

Flying through normal (stopped short of killing Dominus) made me wish that XP scaling didn't rise as steeply. I do have enough time, but I don't want to devote all of it to this game.

TheFatOne

It's a shame I can't play anymore, but I hope that the gaffer I gave all my stuff to puts it to good use. Will definitely be playing again when the new league starts.

squidyj

I really want to try to make an ele crit windripper build in rampage but it feels so impossible to get the currency. I have a really hard time pricing any rares I find, to the point where I get completely frustrated by the process :l

Rufus

I really want to try to make an ele crit windripper build in rampage but it feels so impossible to get the currency. I have a really hard time pricing any rares I find, to the point where I get completely frustrated by the process :l
Are you using poe.xyz.is to price-check your stuff? It helped me a lot.

Rufus

Died again.

Fought stuff near a strongbox. Opened strongbox. Almost cleared mobs, Beyond mobs spawn. Decide to stay in there like an idiot. Stage three (?) beyond mob spawns and I die in a fraction of a second.

Time for a break. 3k dps in cruel Docks makes you play like an asshole.

It's a shame I can't play anymore, but I hope that the gaffer I gave all my stuff to puts it to good use. Will definitely be playing again when the new league starts.

Hell yeah man, Thanks so much for the hookup! Still leveling toward maps now. Balancing time between 2 characters, and I'm playing a solo character, and another with a friend. But once I'm close to maps, I'm going to have to re-gear. Some of that stuff I'll actually use, and I've already made a few chaos' using vendor recipes, thanks to the rings/ammy's.

Raide

How annoying. Seem to get a slight lag spike when I open Lockboxes. For that split second when it just opens, I know I am in a world of pain already.

Rufus

Decoy totem, pets, movement skills (lightning warp, whirling blades or leap slam) or, best of all, smoke mine, will mitigate that issue. Still scary though.

Beat Dominus despite my game crashing right as phase 2 started lmao. I quickly ctrl+alt+del'd out of there, relogged, ran back and killed him. Didn't really have any problems.

squidyj

windripper protobuild

I dunno about the spec tho.

I keep finding a lot of stuff I want to use, im still just having trouble getting enough currency to actually get windripper itself (which is understandable, it's pretty pricey)

I got lightning coil, maligaro's, rats nest, etc.

spirity

I seem to remember only getting boots with a speed mod from act 2 onwards, but I just looted one (some? a pair?) from Hillock, ilvl 2. Was this a recent change, or have I just always been unlucky?

Rufus

You can get 10% move speed starting at level 1. Dunno if that's ever been adjusted, but I remember racers looking for movement speed boots first thing.

Rufus

So, I haven't had much success with my characters. Must have killed more than half a dozen. I said I would take a break but I can't quit... Anyway, what I have had luck with is loot.
My third exalt dropped yesterday. I also got two Tabula's in a matter of hours and a Cloak of Defiance. Also three or four 5-links. They were low level crap, but still.

Man, lots of good drops in Cruel Act 1 so far, especially some good 4 links. I'm almost to the Ledge, and I'll probably grind there all weekend

Rufus

You mean merciless?

I've got a Dual Strike / Cleave Duelist wielding a recently acquired bottom tier Wings of Entropy (only 4 chaos). Already an upgrade over the two one-handers I was using before. Now just a little more attack speed here and there and I'll be set for damage until I can dip into the juicy axe nodes and get even more. I need to update the rest of my gear though, undercapped on Fire and Ice and I'm sweating in Docks...

Also thinking of making an Incinerate Witch. I have the currency to get Cybil's already, got most gems, etc.

spirity

Three Dragons and a Kaltenhalt dropped for me, both in cruel in the space of 10mins. Playing around with herald of ash + ele prolif + aoe + burning damage.

squidyj

I'm getting close, got 5ex and another 160 or so chaos and assorted uniques for trade.

Finding that trading very frustrating though, Impossible to move anything in any sort of reasonable timeframe unless im willing to go stupidly below market to get it done. leaving me unable to make offers on some pretty good deals on windrippers. AH may have been maligned in D3 but I sure feel the absence here.

KKRT00

Finally figured out what to do with my Shadow. At first i wanted to make around Viper Strike, but it turned out to be reliable skill for prime damage.
So i converted it him to fire based Shadow that uses domination blow, fire trap and searing bond and still viper strike + melee splash for getting criticals and DoT damage.
Short showcase with still amazingly crappy gear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeOOmVbgx_Y&feature=youtu.be

To use domination blow and still get almost 50% block chance while dual welding, i'm using those two:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Prismatic_Eclipse
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ungil's_Gauche

I'm currently leveling discipline, arctic armour and clarity for tank, will see how it goes, when i'll activate them and put finally good resist on my char.

I have to say, i have tons of fun playing this char. This attack and movement speed rocks and blowing stuff is very satisfying.

Skab

Out of curiosity, what's the latest word on Act 4? I remember there was that leak with the names of the act 4 areas back in July, but has there been any other hints at content or a release time frame?

Edit: Holy smokes. Digging around for info and I found these datamined music tracks. Hope these are real because they're great! (I know I'm probably way late with all this, but it's new to me damn it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tYGx4q6ABI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lco1m28oX9g

Zynx

Can I uninvite a master after doing his daily and then invite someone else and do their daily?

Yes. But keep in mind you lose all reputation progress towards the next level for a master you remove from your hideout. So if you were trying to raise your reputation level with a master, don't remove them. But if you were doing the daily just to refresh the master vendor inventory or for a free Zana map and don't care about raising the rep level, then this will allow you more dailies with different masters each day.

Removed the Defend the Relic variation with multiple relics to defend.

Wonder why they had to do this. Nothing was funnier than dropping a Rejuv totem between four totems and seeing if the mobs could kill any of them before time ran out.

zanyu

The last time I played POE was when Anarchy was the new standard league. Got to level 85, gave away all my gear.

Now I'm starting back up again with a friend and started in beyond since my friend likes the idea of never dying. I actually was leveling and doing quite fine, until I came around to a strongbox, and with desync died. Now it doesn't really matter since I was level 25 at the time, but I mean is the desync problem still this rampant?

I honestly don't want to even keep trying in a hardcore league to alt+f4 at any possible time I think I'm going to die. Maybe it's my own philosophy of gaming, but doesn't alt+f4 method pretty much negate the point of playing on hardcore? It seems like a cheese mechanic really.

Rufus

I never alt-F4 (the client takes forever to load), but you better believe I log out when I'm cornered by bad mobs and out of pot charges. Without a macro either, because I like to waste my time and my brakes to be unreliable. There's some stupid joy in the relief you feel when you successfully hit the log-out option with shaking hands.

The thrill of permadeath is still there, even with an insta-log-out. Because you can and will die regardless, and not just because you fumbled and went into the options instead of logging out or desync fucked you (two very likely scenarios). Often it's just hubris, because 90% of the time nothing is a danger any more.

I died a LOT this league, killed several characters before 65, then killed three more that made it past 65, one of which at 84. Most deaths were me being an idiot, the last one particularly painful because I enjoyed the charcater a lot (Incinerate Witch). I'll be playing other games until the next league starts, but I had a lot of fun, despite all the dying.

One not un-important factor to me is variety. Because a) you will die, this is a certainty and b) death encourages you to try out a different build. This prevents the tiring and trying grind of the last ten to fifteen levels, where the rewards slowly dry up and you're just playing for XP and currency, because your character was complete twenty levels ago and the only way you're getting upgrades any more is if you pay someone a lot of currency for top tier items, which only very rarely enable you do do something you couldn't already do before. Permadeath just makes a lot of sense for ARPGs in the Diablo mould, at least to me.

tl;dr Hardcore isn't about having the biggest hairiest balls, at least not to me, hence why I don't feel 'guilty' logging out when things go un-expectedly sideways. I've tried playing with characters that have been sent to standard and it's just not the same. Most times I delete them on the spot.

PS: I've probably written something very similar before. orz

---

My Steam clock now says 777 hours, it's probably lying as always and a lot of that is idle time, but it's not even couting the closed and open beta days... orz

...I'm temped to go back to the regular client just to keep it that way.

squidyj

oh man , running atziri, "realm is restarting in 10 minutes" when i'm just at the vaal boss

i get atziri down to 10% and "realm restarting"

;_;

zanyu

One thing I noticed is that it seems near impossible to get any real good trades unless you are a dedicated player to the game. Going from Diablo 3 to this, maybe it's because I'm too casual or I just miss the whole, destroying maps. (I had a legacy bringer of rain for a melee build, and 6L shavs for low life caster)

I never did have the super god gear that people on standard have, the whole mirror service, something like 300ex for an ES chest or something ridiculous.

Friend died to a strongbox on Merciless around the 60s due to desync (same thing I died too) and is revleveling on Rampage league.

To the people who play POE and Diablo, which did you guys find more fun?

Are there any more ARPGs out there I should try out?

Rufus

People seem to like Marvel Heroes.

Titan Quest is a classic and Grim Dawn, its spiritual successor, is currently in early access on Steam. Progress is slow, but it seems to be in good shape.

The Van Helsing games are good one-offs.

KKRT00

To the people who play POE and Diablo, which did you guys find more fun?
Definitely PoE. Diablo for me is fun for like a week at most, then the crappy mechanics, loot and mostly boring enemies just kill any desire to play.
I also hate campaign in D3 except for Act 1 and part of Act 3.

V_Arnold

I am going with PoE AND D3. Ros is insane amounts of fun, ESPECIALLY with 2.1.
No matter the theoretical skil variety and the metagame when the lack of desynch (or: visible, game-changing desynch, to sate KKRT00 :p), the butter smooth gameplay and the insane amount of polish just makes ROS much more fun to play in bursts than PoE.

But it is good to play both. Marvel Heroes is also legit fun, and its depth is somewhere between the two games. Definitely has the grindy aspect done very well, and if you love Marvel heroes already, then damn!

Krassus

PoE when I feel like an MMO and want to accomplish something and D3 for prassing buttons which is nice when you are lazy or with friends who aren't able to PoE.

syko de4d

Best thing about this genre for me s to think and plan a build for hours. To find the one rare unique which makes it possible to make a new build.

And if its comes to this PoE is miles away from anything in this genre. There are so many builds you can play and GGG adds so many new game mechanics and Uniques that there are always new Builds to plan and play.

For me D3 is just a Arcade Action Hack And Slash Game. D3 ROS is still as boring as original D3 for me. I can see why others like it more but it doesnt deliver in the areas which are important for me in this genre.

KKRT00

[/B]

In what world is $500 not that expensive?

In comparison to Unique pack that cost 1000$ or 3000$ statues? Its not that expensive.

And 1000$ was bought by more than 300 players before game hit release, which meant additional 300 uniques for all players.
Lower price means even more unique enemies for all players to encounter.

Ps. To put it into other perspective, people spent regularly 250$ for one item in D3 on RMAH

zanyu

I started leveling again on rampage (softcore) just for fun. I can't believe the increased amount of joy I actually have. Playing both hardcore and softcore 60+, I can actually say I enjoy softcore more. Literally, trying to insta-log out or alt+f4 didn't make me enjoy hardcore, but made me actually hate it. But sometimes the rush of barely surviving when I thought I was going to die really did get my heart pumping. So I can definitely understand the allure of hardcore.

In softcore, I can run in and just try some random shit, if I die, it sucks, but it's not a big deal. Losing XP is a decent enough penalty to make you not want to die at higher levels.

I haven't done any new end game content this new patch, but I saw the whole thing with hideouts and vaal orbs. Does it matter which master I choose for my hideout?

Also regarding vaal orbs, someone is "corrupting" their huge stockpile of shaavs for the perfect mod or something.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2irc4l/corrupting_shavs_for_fun_and_profit/

Supposedly someone offered him 1500 ex for the perfect gloves he made or something. It's sort of confusing, if anyone can break it down, cause I am dumb.

I started leveling again on rampage (softcore) just for fun. I can't believe the increased amount of joy I actually have. Playing both hardcore and softcore 60+, I can actually say I enjoy softcore more. Literally, trying to insta-log out or alt+f4 didn't make me enjoy hardcore, but made me actually hate it. But sometimes the rush of barely surviving when I thought I was going to die really did get my heart pumping. So I can definitely understand the allure of hardcore.

In softcore, I can run in and just try some random shit, if I die, it sucks, but it's not a big deal. Losing XP is a decent enough penalty to make you not want to die at higher levels.

I haven't done any new end game content this new patch, but I saw the whole thing with hideouts and vaal orbs. Does it matter which master I choose for my hideout?

Also regarding vaal orbs, someone is "corrupting" their huge stockpile of shaavs for the perfect mod or something.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2irc4l/corrupting_shavs_for_fun_and_profit/

Supposedly someone offered him 1500 ex for the perfect gloves he made or something. It's sort of confusing, if anyone can break it down, cause I am dumb.

No, you should create a hideout as soon as you can. You can change the hideout and who's in it whenever you want (*), so getting daily missions ASAP is a good idea.

(*). If you kick out a master, you lose all progress at their current level, which is no big deal if you manage it correctly.

spirity

Best thing about this genre for me s to think and plan a build for hours. To find the one rare unique which makes it possible to make a new build.

And if its comes to this PoE is miles away from anything in this genre. There are so many builds you can play and GGG adds so many new game mechanics and Uniques that there are always new Builds to plan and play.

For me D3 is just a Arcade Action Hack And Slash Game. D3 ROS is still as boring as original D3 for me. I can see why others like it more but it doesnt deliver in the areas which are important for me in this genre.

A lot of Diablo 3 players put a higher importance on the visceral feedback of combat in that game than any other feature. I'm not knocking that, we all like different things. But for me these games have -never- been about that. Its builds and loot. Thats it, thats the backbone and foundation of these games as far as I'm concerned. It's cool when the mobs explode into a fine red paste as thunderous wallops blow your speakers up and the screen shakes. But you get used to that, those effects wear off after an hour or so. Whats left after that? Builds and loot. They're the most important features of these games for me and they define the genre. The other stuff is cool and all, but they sit way down the list and its not a compelling bullet point for me. Not for these games. The one that gets the builds and loot right, wins. Everything else is just dressing, and I can see right through it.

Zynx

So, new race season stuff posted:
http://www.pathofexile.com/seasons

Looks like a hot pile of garbage for anyone who isn't planning to somehow grind 250, 500, or 1000 points (when you only pick up a couple points per race!). Seems like a lot fewer short races either, and no descent champions. I was originally considering joining some races this time around now that I'm more familiar with the game, but with the available races and trash rewards, I don't think I'm going to bother.

Top Bottom