• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 |OT| See you at the safe house.

I recently saw this game in the GS tv and looked interesting. Now that I see this thread, how is the first game like? I have no idea of anything about this game. I have the first game dl'd when it was free for psn+ but never dl'd and played it.

Willectro

Banned
I reviewed this for Save/Continue, and gave it 7/10.

Great shooter mechanics that will last just like the first one, but marred by Catch-22 pacing and teasy stealth sections.

That's generous. It's too bad, because (on PC) the graphics are decent and I agree the shooting mechanics are great. But that's about where the positives end. Feels like the game needed a few months of polish.

Card Boy

Banned
GPr9dqP.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
maybe because I played the beta, but by now I'm really disappointed with the amount of content in the game

might have to do with overkill being actually pretty easy to do with a half decent team (though cheesing bags through walls and stuff is just what's expected from you now), but I went through all the missions pretty fast and while replaying them is fun I feel pretty cheated, with all the 17s and 31s numbers being thrown out and final release being not even close (and firestarters 3rd day was a very depressing surprise).

I also feel some of the 1-day missions are a bit underwhelming, specially when compared to missions from payday 1, which I feel were a lot more elaborate and interesting (except green bridge, fuck you green bridge). I mean, four stores and mallcrashers are basically two large arenas and that's it.

it's kinda sad because other than that the game's pretty great and like payday 1 really satisfying when you pull off a clean heist (stealth or no stealth)

I hope they have an answer for all of this soon, it really was misleading of them to suggest 17 missions on launch

edit: my big suggestion for the least amount of work on overkill's part is port the payday 1 missions. they're mostly fun (fuck you green bridge) and unique and would work great with the improved shooting mechanics

btw my biggest hault yet:
one of the guys in the team I guess had a special skill that got him more money because he got 1mil out of that run :O

we played one 3 day heist on very hard with zkylon the day it came out and got stuck on the last day for 6 hours before beating it and I havent played the game for 2 days after that

it was madness

turns out it was shitty randoms joining, we beat it alone with bots

but yeah I need to come back, that just kinda left me burnt out on the game for a bit, we were super underleveled for it
lol just caught this

we gotta try it again salsa, I learned the pager skill, and I think I found the perfect crew for the job

Not being able to type while using a controller is fucking stupid. I was grinding Ukrainian yesterday with C4, and I couldn't respond whenever people asked if I had C4. Fortunately, I was never kicked for this, but still.. annoying.

Also, it's pretty shocking how many people don't realize that the Crew Loadout tab exists to show you what everyone is bringing to the heist.

hom3land

Not being able to type while using a controller is fucking stupid. I was grinding Ukrainian yesterday with C4, and I couldn't respond whenever people asked if I had C4. Fortunately, I was never kicked for this, but still.. annoying.

Also, it's pretty shocking how many people don't realize that the Crew Loadout tab exists to show you what everyone is bringing to the heist.

i check it every match. Make sure everyones not bringing the same thing.

On another note. Is there a definitive layout for which windows should be boarded up on the Bank job? only 1 that I make sure I place is if there is a window in line of site of the vault.

My team and I can't seem to do a bank heist in stealth

Last night was the best we have done and still ended up caught. We eliminated all the guards, got the key to the security room. We're thinking the only thing we will need to do is crowd control for the lobby and employees at this point.

There was one civilian outside on the bench and another about 10ft away across the street. While everyone was inside doing crowd control I immediately to these two civilians to get down. SOME FUCKING HOW SOME FUCKING WAY(THOUGH THERE WAS NO ONE ELSE IN SIGHT)the alarm went off and said a civilian saw suspicious criminal activity...

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!

Another thing, and I'm sure many here have already mentioned this, but the invisible walls and civilians thing needs fixed. I've seen civilians continue to run beyond the invisible walls where we can't and they alert/call the police...

Not cool and not fair

EekTheKat

Level 53 now, found a new more interesting mission to play
Framing Frame is the most stealth friendly 3 day mission I've found yet. It's stupidly hard in public coop, but actually fairly easy with the right stealth build solo.

Still can't pull off the perfect Bank Job however, I suspect I need to go up to silent drilling to get it done, or get a really friendly layout.

Currently I'm Ghost/Mastermind heavy, with a bit of Enforcer to carry bags and working my way up Tech for some drill perks.

I would love to actually be able to host a game instead of joining xRxzxrxDxuxdxeX69 's game or something like that on PS3, since the reaction I get when I join a random game from these kids makes me want to leave immediately. I did read that Overkill is pushing a patch through certification at the moment so hopefully it'll be addressed next week.

KDR_11k

Argh, I hate the way that civ kills impact your stored cash, if you screw up during a mission you can lose progress, not just lose any gains from the mission. Especially since it seems civs are much harder to tell apart from enemies now and the maps are much more crowded. Makes me not want to play because I'm worried that I might have a bad run and erase the hard won progress of the last few missions. I have practically no gun upgrades because money feels so hard to come by and so easy to lose that I always want to spend it ASAP instead of saving up for anything as spent money can at least not be lost.

Vastag

Sometimes this game can get really frustrating. I hate people that go rambo, end up diying in the middle of the street and start raging because nobody is going to help them.

Wow, dominator from the mastermind tree can be worth it's weight in gold if you're going for a stealth run. I just got all 9 paintings on framing frame by going through and getting all the guards to cuff themselves, then taking out the cameras afterwards. I could run around and collect the paintings at will then. Smooth talker is also a great complementary skill to have.

Sad thing is, I had to do this offline, because all the ass hat randoms that would come into my lobby would just run in and shoot the guards rather than waiting on me...facepalm.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, dominator from the mastermind tree can be worth it's weight in gold if you're going for a stealth run. I just got all 9 paintings on framing frame by going through and getting all the guards to cuff themselves, then taking out the cameras afterwards. I could run around and collect the paintings at will then. Smooth talker is also a great complementary skill to have.

Hell yeah.

demolitio

I was just saying the same thing that they need to at least port all the Payday 1 missions at least. I think the PD1 bank heist would be good to use for the 3rd day of Firestarters, etc. so there's at least a little variety. The other missions from PD1 were a lot of fun and could at least give us a little variety. As it stands now, you can only do the same mission so many times before it becomes so damn routine that it's not actually like playing a game anymore.

I just hope they're smart about this issue and release the DLC heists for free. There's no reason to charge people when the game is in need of more variety. The fact that the armored car heist is free for preorders scares me that the others might not be which would suck.

I think they would have been in better shape if they weren't going around talking about how many heists there were since day 1. I'm still confused where one of the heists is that I read about in a preview a few months ago.

The Muldon shotgun mod, is there a way of actually flipping down the stock or do you have to deal with how it blocks your sight picture? Cause I can't do that, thing's terrible.

bs000

Where am I supposed to aim with the saw? The lock boxes in the bank most specifically. I always end up burning through all my saws just trying to figure out where I'm supposed to cut. Also what does right clicking with the saw do?

Oreoleo

I just hope they're smart about this issue and release the DLC heists for free. There's no reason to charge people when the game is in need of more variety. The fact that the armored car heist is free for preorders scares me that the others might not be which would suck.

They handled the wolf pack for payday 1 perfectly. If you didn't own the pack you could still join lobbies if someone else was hosting, but you didn't have access to the new skill tree or guns. I imagine they will do something similar here.

Card Boy

Banned
They handled the wolf pack for payday 1 perfectly. If you didn't own the pack you could still join lobbies if someone else was hosting, but you didn't have access to the new skill tree or guns. I imagine they will do something similar here.

Yep plus they already said pre-orders are getting a Heist for free plus it wouldnt surprise me if they do one more for free before releasing something like Wolf Pack. Take a look at the previous patch notes for Payday 1, these guys support their game alot.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't see this anywhere else (even though it is 4 days old), but we've all heard that there will 5 DLC, additional free updates and potentially modding tools, right?

"Payday 2 - just like its predecessor Payday: The Heist - is a living thing. We have 5 DLCs planned together with 505 Games for the coming year." Goldfarb went on to say that Overkill would continue to update the game with both paid and free content, "just like we did with the first game."

Were they good with free additional content with PD1? They seem quite tight with their community.

Where am I supposed to aim with the saw? The lock boxes in the bank most specifically. I always end up burning through all my saws just trying to figure out where I'm supposed to cut. Also what does right clicking with the saw do?

I think you're supposed to aim where the saw icon is so for example for deposit boxes it's the lower right corner and for doors it's on the doorknob. The right click is just to lessen the "spread" of the saw (you might miss a few hits when the saw is running since it's vibrating all over the place).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I actually disagree that Crime.net is one of the worst. I wouldn't say the best, but they do make lobbying and jumping in and out of games pretty simple, and easy enough to find and join friend games. It's even easy to kick people, and have various options to keep it private, friends-only, public, etc. Because of these facts alone with other lobby experiences, I can hardly call it one of the worst.

The only annoying thing about it is when you're looking for a specific heist and/or difficulty and can't find it.

HoosTrax

So this is a strictly multiplayer game?
The bot AI is quite abysmal compared to say, TF2, where AI teammates can use just about any ability a human can. They can disguise themselves, deploy Ubercharge, build structures, etc. The bots in this game are incapable of doing anything other than following you around somewhat and shooting (they are decent at shooting though, and rarely seem to get downed or run out of ammo).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I actually really like Crime.net. It ties in well with the heist-style fiction.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this game, it is pretty much everything I hoped it would be.

My one concern is maybe because I've tailored my character to stealth approaches, but I wish randoms would at least discuss a plan before blowing the place to hell. I successfully used the Dominator perk on a security guard at the start of Bank Heist and the guy behind me thought we'd been rumbled; he unloaded a clip into him and alerted the whole map! It was quite funny until the guy started bitching at me about being and noob and not stealthing the level. Sweet irony XD

Completely stealthed a few levels with another guy: No bullets fired, no police arrived. We managed to have enough time to completely empty all the deposit boxes on Bank Heist: Gold, as well as get the gold out. A cool 1/2 million each!

O.DOGG

I really really like what they did with this game. Up to level 62 now with 57 hours of my life sacrificed to Payday 2.

I wish there were more scores to do and if the difficulty were a bit higher it'd be perfect. I have some gripes with the random drop system but it's fine now that I got most of what I wanted in terms of weapon mods.

I look forward to any and all future updates.

BibiMaghoo

I really really like what they did with this game. Up to level 62 now with 57 hours of my life sacrificed to Payday 2.

I wish there were more scores to do and if the difficulty were a bit higher it'd be perfect. I have some gripes with the random drop system but it's fine now that I got most of what I wanted in terms of weapon mods.

I look forward to any and all future updates.

I think perhaps something has gone a little....awry, over at the kill.

I would expect at least two heists to be added free of charge, in the near future.

FACE

Banned
Man, I feel like I've wasted a ton of money and points to get the saw. It's nowhere near as good as I thought it'd be.

Top Bottom