• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2xxx

Banned
The rumor on the penalties are:

5 year bowl ban
loss of 60 scholarships
All players eligible to transfer without sitting out
Forfeit all Big 10 revenue sharing to an abuse victims fund
No ooc games in 2013 and 2014

Again, just a rumor but if this is true then wow. Worse than the DP.

Not sure about that. USC lost 10 scholarships per year for 3 years (Penn. St.'s 12 per yr.) now that their punishment is over they are ranked in the Top 5. If Penn St. gets a quality coach in a couple of years which they can since they have the money, Penn. St can easily be competitive again and nothing would change in the long run.

NCAA expert Michael Buckner: "If the media reports are true, then the NCAA has charted an unprecedented, and perhaps unconstitutional..."

"course of action...the issues facing Penn State are best left in the expert hands of the criminal and civil courts..."

Buckner: "The NCAA is treating Penn State differently than other schools that were involved in sexual assault scandals..."

Buckner: "The NCAA is not adhering to its existing enforcement processes and procedures..."

Buckner: "The conduct of Penn State and its employees, no matter how egregious, is not a violation of an existing NCAA rule."

http://twitter.com/schadjoe/

squicken

I realize that. Just wanted to note that OOC bans have been used recently by the NCAA.

Oh I understand. Just that anything like what is being proposed cooks that program, even the stuff that has precedent, as you mentioned w/Baylor. No sympathy for PSU, just seems strange for NCAA to not use death penalty since they are effectively doing that anyway

Not sure about that. USC lost 10 scholarships per year for 3 years (Penn. St.'s 12 per yr.) now that their punishment is over they are ranked in the Top 5. If Penn St. gets a quality coach in a couple of years which they can since they have the money, Penn. St can easily be competitive again and nothing would change in the long run.

But a five-year bowl ban means that two classes of incoming freshman would never have any chance at playing in a bowl game - and that would decimate their recruiting.

Kusagari

A reporter in Philly said that he heard all wins from 1998 onward might be removed.

I cannot imagine the outrage from the apologists if that happens.

Pollux

A reporter in Philly said that he heard all wins from 1998 onward might be removed.

I would laugh my ass off. I hope that happens. Along with the other rumors. Holy shit that would be unbelievable.

bro1

Banned
I'm trying to ignore this whole Joe Paterno statue controversy and just look the other way. I call this approach the "Joe Paterno"

Taken from twitter

mr2xxx

Banned
But a five-year bowl ban means that two classes of incoming freshman would never have any chance at playing in a bowl game - and that would decimate their recruiting.

Imagine if they hire a Spurrier, Meyer, or Saban type coach in three years. People would love to play for these legendary coaches and they could easily rebuild since you know the fanbase will be there throughout this. Not saying it would be easy but Penn St is closer to USC than SMU when it comes to rebuilding.

border

Guy, guys......just remember - NOBODY'S PERFECT!

318800_466748003344721_1338547301_n.jpg

Imagine if they hire a Spurrier, Meyer, or Saban type coach in three years. People would love to play for these legendary coaches and they could easily rebuild since you know the fanbase will be there throughout this. Not saying it would be easy but Penn St is closer to USC than SMU when it comes to rebuilding.

No sane coach will want to touch the program with a 500-foot pole - not with the baggage that comes along with it.

Cyan

Banned
Not sure about that. USC lost 10 scholarships per year for 3 years (Penn. St.'s 12 per yr.) now that their punishment is over they are ranked in the Top 5.

Their punishment isn't over. They finagled things so the bowl ban is already finished, but they've still got two more years of scholarship reductions.

Chumly

Well deserved with the rumored punishments. Glad they took down the statue as well. Paterno never cared about anyone but himself and his legacy and his legacy should fall by his actions.

Didn't even think of that. Some might take the job simply in hopes of becoming the next Paterno.

That's not exactly what I meant (I'm talking more so of how tough a job it would be to do and if a coach was successful, he'd go down in history)

But yeah that's another potential reason a coach would go there....although the orgional quote did say "sane" coach.

lol.

Oh no! The statue of the guy you probably never met and never had any contact with, who knowingly turned a blind eye to child rape, was taken down! How will you ever go on with your life?

I feel like we can't joke about North Korea's bizarre cult of personality worship as much as we think we can.

mr2xxx

Banned
10/yr for 3 years. 30 in all.

The math is slightly esoteric, but it will likely take a few years after that for them to get back to full strength.

ohh ok got ya, i was right about the scholarships just wrong in thinking that they completed their punishment. Makes their ranking even more impressive.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Oh my goodness how great would this be.

I can't believe this--I'll just end up disappointed.

JoeBoy101

Those rumored penalties from last page... wow. If the NCAA throws that smackdown, I'll be pleasantly surprised and legitimately impressed.

And yeah, those penalties are far worse than the death penalty.

Cyan

Banned
ohh ok got ya, i was right about the scholarships just wrong in thinking that they completed their punishment. Makes their ranking even more impressive.

They managed it pretty cleverly by implementing the bowl ban even while they were appealing the scholarship losses. LA attorneys, what can you do.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
From the Onward State facebook page, some of the reactions are really bad.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151793004725663.483591.143212655662&type=3

Oh gawd my brain

Bobby Mahalchick I hope all PSU alumni and current students rally in support of returning the statue. While we're at it raise funds for Child Abuse Center and victims of such. We all know Joe would want us to help the kids

ahhhhh

Bethany Owlett Joe was one man looking after 100+ kids...he was not there to BABYSIT his coaching staff!!! If ncaa gives penn state the "death penalty" for what snadusky did, they are ruining penn state name and all the hard work that coach Obrian did to try and get penn states name back out there for the good!!

AHHHHHHHHHH

Jay Murray Not the only removal they need to do at this university.

Alright that one I like.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I guess they could always self-impose a death penalty. If all their guys can transfer and they will play 4 less games than everyone else, might as well. Guess it depends on how they structure the loss of scholarships

I can't imagine the school dropping scholarships. I'll be shocked if the school doesn't just eat the loss and let the students keep their scholarship. Not the students fault, and taking away the scholarship would just for some more bad PR.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
These twitter people are really going to hurt themselves if a potential employer ever, you know, googles them.

Cyan

Banned
I can't imagine the school dropping scholarships. I'll be shocked if the school doesn't just eat the loss and let the students keep their scholarship. Not the students fault, and taking away the scholarship would just for some more bad PR.

It's the NCAA taking them away, not the school.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Liiiiiiiittle over the top with the hyperbole there, dude.

Honestly though, I don't see how any sane person could try to justify anything like this and look at themselves in the mirror. Its kind of how we got to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom