• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kill the program? No.

Does anyone in this thread actually follow college football?

Still banging this drum, eh? Kill the program means remove any and all chance of them vying for the national championship for a long long time. Argue the opposite all you want, you're still wrong.

HeySeuss

What competitive edge did they gain for covering up a coach's crimes since 1998 who stopped coaching in 1999?

By concealing the truth, it can be argued that the recruits that they landed during the scandal would not have committed to PSU had they known about Sandusky. It's fairly apparent this is true considering when the story first broke, before the cover up was known, they had a hard time getting good recruits and had some players decommit.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Haha, I went to Duke for graduate work. Football games are a good place to get some studying done. Nice and quiet.

I'm a season ticket holder and I think you underestimate how loud the visiting fans get when they score on us.

Sure the team has gotten better. You can now bet on 3-4 wins for a program that couldn't get 1 for the longest. However, they still find creative and painful ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Being 0-3 vs Richmond doesn't help things either. I wish we'd cheat like SMU honestly. Get 3-4 good years before the bottom fell out. It would be worth it. Gong by how the NCAA slapped UNC on the wrist, the punishment wouldn't be that bad either.

Get this old coot off the air espn.

But Lou Holtshhh isshhh jusssh thinking about all the poor innoshent children that did nothing wrong.

I'm a season ticket holder and I think you underestimate how loud the visiting fans get when they score on us.

Sure the team has gotten better. You can now bet on 3-4 wins for a program that couldn't get 1 for the longest. However, they still find creative and painful ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Being 0-3 vs Richmond doesn't help things either. I wish we'd cheat like SMU honestly. Get 3-4 good years before the bottom fell out. It would be worth it. Gong by how the NCAA slapped UNC on the wrist, the punishment wouldn't be that bad either.

Admittedly, I wasn't there for this big turn-around. They were still a 1-win-if-we're-lucky team when I was there. It was still fun to be at games though. Kinda like watching my grandmother do the NY Times Crossword Puzzle. She's going to try really hard, but everyone watching her knows she's gonna lose that battle.

alstein

What I would have done:

-vacation of wins for Paterno, but not Penn St.
-4 year bowl ban
-2 year TV ban
-1 year ban on non-students attending games.
- but no scholly reduction, players still allowed to leave
- 3 years starting next year of no nonconf home games

I think that would have been a fairer punishment. Wouldn't hurt the kids as much. This hurt a lot of folks who had nothing to do with Sandusky. These sanctions would be more appropiate for widespread systmatic academic fraud, like players taking classes closed to the rest of the university that gave A's despite not giving any work.

JavyOO7

Got this from the AA twitter but Deadspin or other site haven't reported anything yet...

Awful Announcing ‏@awfulannouncing
Big Ten censures Penn State and gives bowl revenue share during postseason ban ($13M p/y) to organizations to prevent child abuse.

Or maybe its just speculation on their part. So I guess a grain of salt for now.

JoeBoy101

PSU President's Statement (Link)

Rodney Erickson said:
The tragedy of child sexual abuse that occurred at our University altered the lives of innocent children. Today, as every day, our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the victims of Mr. [Jerry] Sandusky and all other victims of child abuse.

"Against this backdrop, Penn State accepts the penalties and corrective actions announced today by the NCAA. With today's announcement and the action it requires of us, the University takes a significant step forward. The NCAA ruling holds the University accountable for the failure of those in power to protect children and insists that all areas of the University community are held to the same high standards of honesty and integrity.

"The NCAA also mandates that Penn State become a national leader to help victims of child sexual assault and to promote awareness across our nation. Specifically, the University will pay $12 million a year for the next five years into a special endowment created to fund programs for the detection, prevention and treatment of child abuse. This total of $60 million can never reduce the pain suffered by victims, but will help provide them hope and healing.

Since receiving Judge [Louis] Freeh's preliminary recommendations in January, the University has instituted several reforms. Today we accept the terms of the consent decree imposed by the NCAA. As Penn State embarks upon change and progress, this announcement helps to further define our course. It is with this compass that we will strive for a better tomorrow.

alstein

You guys did have Spurrier in the 80s. And the mass academic fraud you're talking about is what I'm referring to earlier as well.

eznark

Banned
What I would have done:

-4 year bowl ban
-2 year TV ban

I think that would have been a fairer punishment. Wouldn't hurt the kids as much. This hurt a lot of folks who had nothing to do with Sandusky. These sanctions would be more appropiate for widespread systmatic academic fraud, like players taking classes closed to the rest of the university that gave A's despite not giving any work.

why?

thefro

Got this from the AA twitter but Deadspin or other site haven't reported anything yet...

Awful Announcing ‏@awfulannouncing
Big Ten censures Penn State and gives bowl revenue share during postseason ban ($13M p/y) to organizations to prevent child abuse.

Or maybe its just speculation on their part. So I guess a grain of salt for now.

It's official, they already sent the release out

Censured, losing bowl revenue share (going to child abuse charities) and ineligible for Big Ten Championship game

What I would have done:

-4 year bowl ban
-2 year TV ban

that would hurt not only Penn State, but other conference teams who have to play them annually. throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

also, how do you vacate wins for Paterno but not Penn State? let's not forget that the University President himself was part of this cover-up.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So big 10 just said no big ten bowls and no bowl revenues. That was pretty weak and redundant

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Is there anything more infuriating than the "Don't punish the innocent!" argument?

It's a hollow and profoundly dishonest line of thinking.

Its like they don't get that innocent people have already been destroyed over this. Kids that played for PSU during 98-11 can easily survive the"trauma" of imaginary loses versus the kids that that were raped during the same time. I don't get why this is hard to understand.

alstein

Because cancelling their non-conf games for next year would punish the other institutions, empty stadium bans are effective for European soccer, and would punish the alumni/fans.

SMU had a similar restriction when they got death penalty- but they just cancelled the program for the 2nd year instead.

Its like they don't get that innocent people have been destroyed over this. Kids that played for PSU during 98-11 can easily survivie this "trauma" than the kids that that were raped during the same time. I don't get why this is hard to understand.

The "innocents" being referred to is the current team I think, the only thing that really hurts them is the scholly reduction, which is the one thing in this I don't like.

that would hurt not only Penn State, but other conference teams who have to play them annually. throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

also, how do you vacate wins for Paterno but not Penn State? let's not forget that the University President himself was part of this cover-up.

How would it hurt the other conference teams? They'd get their win. On the vacate for Penn St. as well, I can go either way on that- vacated wins aren't serious business unless it involves a title. No one cares if a Music city bowl win gets vacated.

So big 10 just said no big ten bowls and no bowl revenues. That was pretty weak and redundant

actually, all B1G teams traditionally get a split of the money from B1G teams getting to bowl games.

Also, how long will they not be allowed to attend bowls that are affiliated with B1G?

Pimpwerx

Couldn't have happened to a better program. Ha! Listening to PSU former players in denial is hilarious. The idol worship will stop. They renamed the Big10 trophy, right?

Wow. Never heard Bowden called a douchebag before. It makes you sound like a douchebag. Good luck with your shitty Gator team next year.

Whoa! Gators fan here, but no hate for Bobbo. Bowden is one of those guys you hate when he's on the field, but you still want to have a drink and share stories with. He comes off as classy and a nice guy. I'm glad he's the winningest coach now, he deserved to win that battle and see that goal accomplished while he's still alive. Hopefully nothing sick like this ever comes out about him. PEACE.

That's a pretty strange definition of "kill the program" you have there.

Yep, because big schools are known for their love of 5-6 seasons.We're using the definition of "kill the program" that aligns itself with "death penalty". Did the "death penalty" kill SMU? Nope, they still exist.

Enron

Banned
Because cancelling their non-conf games for next year would punish the other institutions, empty stadium bans are effective for European soccer, and would punish the alumni/fans.

SMU had a similar restriction when they got death penalty- but they just cancelled the program for the 2nd year instead.

The "innocents" being referred to is the current team I think, the only thing that really hurts them is the scholly reduction, which is the one thing in this I don't like.

SMU cancelled their program because most of the players transferred and they couldn't field a full team. That won't happen to PSU.

eznark

Banned

So I can't watch Wisconsin play because Penn State enabled kid rape?

Not really. They just want to get their venom in

Yeah, how dare people be offended by child rape, and the 15 year cover up of child rape. I get it, you're a Penn State football fan. There's more important things than football. Hopefully during Penn States death throes over the next 5-10 years you'll realize that.

JoeBoy101

I don't follow football - what does the postseason and bowl ban mean exactly?

Most college football recruits want to go to bowls and postseason games to market themselves for NFL. Banning them from that and the scholarship limits means that most good recruits won't go near PSU.

The comparisons to USC are totally off-base.

USC has the distinct advantage of being located in Sunny SoCal and not Bumblefuck, PA. Unless the NCAA figures out a way to move the Trojans to North Dakota, there's only so much damage you can inflict on a program whose location is a huge recruiting advantage.

Penn State isn't that lucky.

To be fair, that would be an awesome punishment. If you fuck up too much, your football team is forced to North Dakota, and all recruit visits must take place during February.

Draxal

The comparisons to USC are totally off-base.

USC has the distinct advantage of being located in Sunny SoCal and not Bumblefuck, PA. Unless the NCAA figures out a way to move the Trojans to North Dakota, there's only so much damage you can inflict on a program whose location is a huge recruiting advantage.

Penn State isn't that lucky.

It's also the only "NFL" team in LA, while Penn State has to deal with in two really popular NFL teams in the Eagles and Steelers.

Hari Seldon

These sanctions effectively kill the football program for anyone but the most die hard. For a casual fan like myself, it simply means I will not be watching any college football anymore.

Pimpwerx

What's that old saying? Leave a hero, or stay long enough to become the villain. JoePa got what he deserved in the end. He tried to protect his legacy, but only destroyed it in the end, along with his football program. So fitting. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom