• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I long thought that Penn State would fall off a cliff when JoePa retired anyway. His legacy was what was really propping up that program. The scholarship loss will just speed up that process. Penn St. will never recover from this. They will become a middle of the pack Big10 program now, like a Minnesota or Michigan St.

What I would have done:

-vacation of wins for Paterno, but not Penn St.
-4 year bowl ban
-2 year TV ban
-1 year ban on non-students attending games.
- but no scholly reduction, players still allowed to leave- 3 years starting next year of no nonconf home games

I think that would have been a fairer punishment. Wouldn't hurt the kids as much. This hurt a lot of folks who had nothing to do with Sandusky. These sanctions would be more appropiate for widespread systmatic academic fraud, like players taking classes closed to the rest of the university that gave A's despite not giving any work.

So take away the only punishment that matters? OK. This is like USC's punishment ... just doubled. They didn't get hit hard enough.

I'm not sure I like the punishment honestly. It feels cheap. Like they did it stictly because of the pressure to react. I always thought ... stay completely out or, do the right thing and nuke the schools football program.

eznark

Banned
So take away the only punishment that matters? OK. This is like USC's punishment ... just doubled. They didn't get hit hard enough.

I'm not sure I like the punishment honestly. It feels cheap. Like they did it stictly because of the pressure to react. I always thought ... stay completely out or, do the right thing and nuke the schools football program.

If they allow transfers without penalty, this is effectively nuking the program at least from a competitive aspect.

Hari Seldon

I long thought that Penn State would fall off a cliff when JoePa retired anyway. His legacy was what was really propping up that program. The scholarship loss will just speed up that process. Penn St. will never recover from this. They will become a middle of the pack Big10 program now, like a Minnesota or Michigan St.

Meh, I don't think it would have. They would have had been able to recruit the biggest name coach in the country if there was no scandal.

Supposedly transfers will only be without penalty if within conference.

That doesn't sound right, because I was listening to the B1G call, and Delaney specifically said that they were going to join in with the NCAA in not restricting where the players transfer.

jakncoke

Banned
Yeah, how dare people be offended by child rape, and the 15 year cover up of child rape. I get it, you're a Penn State football fan. There's more important things than football. Hopefully during Penn States death throes over the next 5-10 years you'll realize that.

Im not a cult member, Im just saying this is how things go down in a lot of sports threads involving crime. Members that havent followed sports in ever come in and are the most venomous. Does this sanctions fit the crime.. prob not. Will it basically make the program unable to compete, yes. It will be a min 6 years before we make it to the lowest bowls, 10-15 before we are competing for BIG chips and BCS bowls again.

eznark

Banned
That doesn't sound right, because I was listening to the B1G call, and Delaney specifically said that they were going to join in with the NCAA in not restricting where the players transfer.

Delany says presidents leaning toward allowing Penn State players to transfer within conference with no penalty.

That's what some college beat writer put on twitter

thefro

That makes more sense. For those of you who don't know, the B1G typically doesn't allow intraconference transfers, at all. If you transfer to another Big Ten school you have to walk on.

If they allow transfers without penalty, this is effectively nuking the program at least from a competitive aspect.

I guess ...

It still feels financially motivated. Nukeing the whole program affects the conference and the NCAA itself. It feels like they wanted to lay down the punishment as thick as they could without actually giving the death penalty. Which is cheap.

Delany says presidents leaning toward allowing Penn State players to transfer within conference with no penalty.

That's not what you said at first though. The Big Ten does not allow you to transfer in conference. They are removing that perhaps. That's all it's saying.

No penalty to the athlete or to the school taking them in? As in will the school's accepting the transfers be awarded an additional scholarship or will they have to take one away from some other player?

eznark

Banned
That's not what you said at first though. The Big Ten does not allow you to transfer in conference. They are removing that perhaps. That's all it's saying.

Yeah, I got it third-hand that way, then asked for the actual tweet afterwards, which is at-best secondhand.

twitter!

Hari Seldon

No penalty to the athlete or to the school taking them in? As in will the school's accepting the transfers be awarded an additional scholarship or will they have to take one away from some other player?

I think both. Normally there is a penalty to the athlete if they transfer, so they are eliminating that AND allowing the schools to take on additional scholarships apparently.

Dre3001

Agreed

I definitely dont think they got hit hard enough

Personally I think they should have had added

1 year suspension of entire football program to the penalties

Hari Seldon

Agreed

Meh I think the punishment is fine. They effectively killed the program from being competitive for a very long time, but allow them to still sell tickets for funding. They will lose all of their sponsorships and whatnot, so they are going to be hammered pretty hard. Casual fans like me won't be watching any PSU games for like a decade.

The people who are directly responsible will have the additional punishment with the criminal system and law suits.

Patryn

Going away from football penalties for a second, but I guess as part of the agreement Penn State admits liability in the cover-up. In writing.

That may end up being the most costly part of all this.

eznark

Banned
Agreed

This kills the program for decades without fucking over the teams that had PSU on the schedule. Seems like a win-win.

alstein

It was cheap. They should have done one or the other- I agree with you on that.

Some people are dismissing the win erasing but that's quite a demoralizing blow to any franchise, especially one as hallowed as PSU football. As someone who grew up watching the Fab 5 and loving those players, having all those wins erased by the NCAA was quite depressing to me at the time. The memories remain, but it's weird going to the stadium and not seeing the banners you once saw as a kid; it's a never ending stain on the program. Good move, and even more welcome considering some of the batshit stuff PSU alumni have been saying over the past few months.

The scholarship loss and bowl ban will effective kill recruiting for more than the four years it's in place.

The cover up was to protect revenue and legacy, but that is all gone now. JoePa's legacy is effectively destroyed with the wins vacation and to me it looks like they will be recruiting on the same level as some 1AA teams. The NCAA did enough

Going away from football penalties for a second, but I guess as part of the agreement Penn State admits liability in the cover-up. In writing.

That may end up being the most costly part of all this.
It's good to see someone taking responsibility for their actions. Sandusky and Paterno didn't. I think PSU would have come across as looking awful if they'd fought this.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Desmond Howard:
“The one point that people continue to make that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, is about the players and how the players should have to pay the price for what happened, as if they don’t have a choice. You read some tweets and some messages and people say, ‘Hey, remember the victims.’ Well, I challenge you to remember the victims, but think about the victims and think about how they were victimized. Think about what they had to go through, and this burly coach was victimizing them. Add some substance to that symbolism and they didn’t have a choice. Those damn victims didn’t have a choice. Why? Because of the culture at Penn State University, particularly in the football department. Now these football players today at Penn State, they have a choice. If you grew up loving Penn State Nittany Lions football and always wanted to play for Penn State, guess what? You can stay. You can represent Penn State and wear that uniform proudly and you’ll have a chance to get a degree from Penn State University, but, if you like to play in the post-season and with all of the luxuries that come along with that sort of opportunity, then you can transfer out today and go to another university and live out those dreams. The players today have a choice. The damn victims didn’t.”

Desmond Howard:
“The one point that people continue to make that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, is about the players and how the players should have to pay the price for what happened, as if they don’t have a choice. You read some tweets and some messages and people say, ‘Hey, remember the victims.’ Well, I challenge you to remember the victims, but think about the victims and think about how they were victimized. Think about what they had to go through, and this burly coach was victimizing them. Add some substance to that symbolism and they didn’t have a choice. Those damn victims didn’t have a choice. Why? Because of the culture at Penn State University, particularly in the football department. Now these football players today at Penn State, they have a choice. If you grew up loving Penn State Nittany Lions football and always wanted to play for Penn State, guess what? You can stay. You can represent Penn State and wear that uniform proudly and you’ll have a chance to get a degree from Penn State University, but, if you like to play in the post-season and with all of the luxuries that come along with that sort of opportunity, then you can transfer out today and go to another university and live out those dreams. The players today have a choice. The damn victims didn’t.”

Good job, Desmond. Great statement.

Desmond Howard:
Like I said, <3 Desmond.

I haven't followed college football for a few years now, but I'm pretty sure taking the wins away means that Paterno is no longer the winningest coach in Division 1 history. I guess Bobby Bowden beat him from his retirement couch. Good. Even as a UM fan I always liked Bowden. Most UM fans do.

And while the penalties are severe, it is not worse than the death penalty. The death penalty brings a program to a complete standstill for as long as it is imposed. You have to rebuild an entire program from the ground up once it ends.

I am happy with the punishment given out. Would have been happier if it was the death penalty or all the scholarships. At least 70. But as it is this only allows Penn State to keep the framework of a program together so they don't have to build from the ground up.

And I have no doubt that Penn State administration, alumnus, and fans reluctance to address anything involving Paterno had a part to play in these surprisingly severe sanctions. I hope the morons who cried over the removal of the Paterno statue realize the part they played in this punishment.

I love Desmond Howard so much.

Also a 2010 game between Ohio State and Penn State Never happened because both schools have vacated victories which is crazy

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I think Penn State goes from 828 wins 361 losses 43 ties, to 716 Wins 361 losses 43 ties. Winning % from .6895 to .6584

112 wins erased

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.

On the DP Show just now Bonnie Bernstein said that all students can transfer without penalty, and if the school they go to is over the scholarship cap the NCAA will grant them permission to exceed the cap so that the PSU player can go to that school.

Don't know what her sources were but yeah... if true that's pretty cool for Ohio State and Michigan, haha.

ElRenoRaven

Desmond Howard:

Goddamn it. Where is a standing ovation gif when you need one. I really can't do anything but stand up and clap for that. Nailed it 1 million percent on the head.

SeanR1221

My Facebook is exploding with comments. A good chunk of my friends went to PSU. Every so often I find myself getting caught in the "come on, these punishments are going too far" then I think what if one of the victims were my brother, cousin or son and my mind changes.

Aside from having the advantage of location, USC also had the advantage that their rivals in the area (mainly UCLA) have sucked balls and it hasn't been hard to out-recruit them even with sanctions in place. Penn St. has to compete with Urban Meyer and OSU and Michigan for the areas top players. On top of that, USC had a 2 year postseason ban, so a good recruiter like Lane Kiffin could sell top recruits on the idea that they can help rebuild the program and then compete for national titles and PAC12 titles as juniors and seniors. A 4 year postseason ban basically means incoming freshman have to go there knowing they will never compete for shit. The program is effectively dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom