• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I'm pretty surprised the NCAA hit them as hard as they did. I do think it's warranted, but just never thought they would go through with the punishment. Never thought they would knock away those wins either.

My Facebook is exploding with comments. A good chunk of my friends went to PSU. Every so often I find myself getting caught in the "come on, these punishments are going too far" then I think what if one of the victims were my brother, cousin or son and my mind changes.

Reading the second paragraph in this section of Sandusky's Wikipedia entry would lead me to believe the punishment didn't go far enough. However, as it stands, it's enough to punch the Penn State culture right in the face.

that's the punishment?
that's it?
i would've figured the death penalty.
USC gets 30 lost scholarships for 3 years for giving of gifts.
and Penn state lose 40 for 4 years?
and that $60 million in penalty, isn't that like what penn state makes in a year?

giga

EQJUO.png

that's the punishment?
that's it?
and that $60 million in penalty, isn't that like what penn state makes in a year?

They won't be back at the full 85-man roster until 2020.

65 total scholarships and taking on only 15 a year for four years with current players being able to go where they want without penalty will crush just about any program.

that's the punishment?
that's it?

University of Sexual Ballers stay breaking that bread. Penn St. don't have that advantage.

Forever

Banned
With successful criminal proceedings against the top brass responsible, I think this ugly episode will have received as much justice as could have been hoped for.

It's a damn shame that Paterno did not live to see this day and face the music in court.

Babalu.

I'm ok with the punishment handed out. I would have been more OK with the death penalty. But people gotta make their money right?

ToxicAdam

This has been a pretty satisfying judgement against Penn State. It's a shame the same kind of culpability wasn't doled out to the Catholic Church, but maybe this example could have a similar reach.

Cyan

Banned
Sorry for the dumb question but as a student who's tight on money, will this increase tuition for students by a lot?

Shouldn't. I would expect this to come out of the endowment and/or be covered by rich alumni.

NCAA has announced they're looking at waiving scholarship limits on schools accepting PSU transfers.

Open season.

Open season indeed. With this and waiving the contact rules, I expect there'll be a good few transfers. Don't think it'll be nearly as destructive as some people are saying, though.

Does anyone in this thread actually follow college football?

I've been wondering this for a while.

Cyan

Banned
Supposedly transfers will only be without penalty if within conference.

You sure? Usually it's the other way around.

Delany says presidents leaning toward allowing Penn State players to transfer within conference with no penalty.

That's what some college beat writer put on twitter

Oh, I see. Yeah, that's just confirming that they'll also be allowed to transfer in-conference. USC's players weren't.

hoos30

Desmond Howard:
“The one point that people continue to make that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, is about the players and how the players should have to pay the price for what happened, as if they don’t have a choice. You read some tweets and some messages and people say, ‘Hey, remember the victims.’ Well, I challenge you to remember the victims, but think about the victims and think about how they were victimized. Think about what they had to go through, and this burly coach was victimizing them. Add some substance to that symbolism and they didn’t have a choice. Those damn victims didn’t have a choice. Why? Because of the culture at Penn State University, particularly in the football department. Now these football players today at Penn State, they have a choice. If you grew up loving Penn State Nittany Lions football and always wanted to play for Penn State, guess what? You can stay. You can represent Penn State and wear that uniform proudly and you’ll have a chance to get a degree from Penn State University, but, if you like to play in the post-season and with all of the luxuries that come along with that sort of opportunity, then you can transfer out today and go to another university and live out those dreams. The players today have a choice. The damn victims didn’t.”

And the people say, "Amen!".

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If I see a recycled library joke again. Seriously people have been making that joke for a while now.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't watch football nor been following the trial closely but I do think the vacating seems unfair primarily to the regular players who went out there and won. Does this affect their records too?

I don't watch football nor been following the trial closely but I do think the vacating seems unfair primarily to the regular players who went out there and won. Does this affect their records too?

Yes. All the wins from 1998 until last season basically never happened. Evan Royster, currently with the Redskins, who played at Penn St. during that time, tweeted that technically while he was at Penn St. he never won a single game now.

Jarmel

Banned
Yes. All the wins from 1998 until last season basically never happened. Evan Royster, currently with the Redskins, who played at Penn St. during that time, tweeted that technically while he was at Penn St. he never won a single game now.

That's pretty fucking horrible.

That's pretty fucking horrible.

So is raping little kids and not doing anything about it.

There are innocent players from USC that had to vacate a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, and it wasn't because Reggie Bush was raping kids, it's because Reggie Bush's parents took a free house from some scummy wannabe agent without anyone at the school knowing. Tough shit.

Sadly it's the only way the NCAA could have any actual authority over schools. If any school can just cheat and fire everyone responsible with no repercussions, they would all do it.

Here's the deal: When you make selfish choices as those involved did, it affects the innocent.

That's what makes it a selfish choice.

Jarmel

Banned
So is raping little kids and not doing anything about it.

There are innocent players from USC that had to vacate a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, and it wasn't because Reggie Bush was raping kids, it's because Reggie Bush's parents took a free house from some scummy wannabe agent without anyone at the school knowing. Tough shit.

What did the players have to do with any of it? Did they know at all?

I could give a shit about the coach as he knew but did the players have any knowledge?

hoos30

It's also meaningless. Players played the game, they know who won or lost.

Vacating the games is punishment for the Paterno estate only; they can't say they are #1 anymore, goodbye.

Cyan

Banned

Seriously? Of all the "but this only hurts unrelated person x!" statements I've heard so far, this takes the cake. Do you really think they give a shit?

This punishment is handed down all the time and people barely care. The only one affected here is JoePa, because it takes away the wins record. And he's hardly likely to care about it either.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Seriously? Of all the "but this only hurts unrelated person x!" statements I've heard so far, this takes the cake. Do you really think they give a shit?

This punishment is handed down all the time and people barely care. The only one affected here is JoePa, because it takes away the wins record. And he's hardly likely to care about it either.
Let's bust out our ouiji boards and ask him!

What did the players have to do with any of it? Did they know at all?

They may not have gone to the school, had they known. For the players, well hell man...they got a free education, free room & board (football player food; very different from regular student cafeteria food), and training that prepared them for life after football...and for a few, football at the next level.

They can cry about the wins and losses if they want, but the players got plenty out of it. If they want to be mad, they should be mad at JoePa for stealing their opportunity to make a fully informed choice about the school they attended.

Jarmel

Banned
It's also meaningless. Players played the game, they know who won or lost.

Vacating the games is punishment for the Paterno estate only; they can't say they are #1 anymore, goodbye.

I'm assuming they're still allowed the stats from the games though? Like TDs and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom