• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
lawblob said:
Friend of mine attends the law school there. Tempted to email him, get his thoughts on this.
Grad students who didnt attend the Church of Paterno as undergrads are almost certainly thinking lucidly about this whole situation.

Hari Seldon

C Jones said:
To be fair he wasn't concerned about his career during the Grand Jury investigation. He's the only witness and the kid never got ID'd. He could've tried to protect the school but he didn't. Maybe that's what's keeping him there? I don't know.

If he is protected by whistleblower laws, the university is not allowed to fire him or even force him to change jobs. I guess they could put together some sweet severance package and agree to waive his whistleblower protection.

I talked to a few friends and we're officially going up for the Nebraska game. Shit's going to be nuts. If I don't post for a couple days assume the worst.

C Jones

harSon said:
His situation is a trillion times worse than Joe Paterno's, whom I still believe was blamed unfairly. Hell, I think his actions (or inactions) are second only to Sandusky.
Will you believe that if it comes to light that JoePa was fully aware of the 1998 incident too?

He HAD to know about that. It's only a matter of time until that comes out IMO.

For the record, Bradley added that they haven't determined where McQueary will be while coaching (as in on the field or in the press box). This shows that they're even concerned about what might happen with him on the sidelines. I can't see why they'd let him coach at all if they're that concerned.

harSon said:
His situation is a trillion times worse than Joe Paterno's, whom I still believe was blamed unfairly. Hell, I think his actions (or inactions) are second only to Sandusky.

I don't know about a trillion times worse, and both are pretty bad. What I don't understand is how the school doesn't make this connection. Why do they think it's a good idea to let a guy coach who's guilty of the very thing (if not worse) than what the old coach just got fired for.

Hari Seldon said:
If he is protected by whistleblower laws, the university is not allowed to fire him or even force him to change jobs. I guess they could put together some sweet severance package and agree to waive his whistleblower protection.

He was a graduate student then. It's hard to switch schools in the middle of a program.

C Jones

samus i am said:
I talked to a few friends and we're officially going up for the Nebraska game. Shit's going to be nuts. If I don't post for a couple days assume the worst.
Don't forget to wear blue.

C Jones said:
Will you believe that if it comes to light that JoePa was fully aware of the 1998 incident too?

I'm glad you added IMO....

JGS

Banned
charsace said:
This. To McQueary Sandusky was probably like family. Its hard to turn on someone that you're close to.
But he did turn on him. The easiest thing to do would be not to say anything or lessen the import of what he saw.
C Jones said:

I hope the legal standard never becomes firing a guy for what we think he knows.

harSon

Banned
Fenderputty said:
I don't know about a trillion times worse, and both are pretty bad. What I don't understand is how the school doesn't make this connection. Why do they think it's a good idea to let a guy coach who's guilty of the very thing (if not worse) than what the old coach just got fired for.

No, it's a trillion times worse. He knew for sure that Sandusky was a child rapist and that nothing was being done about it considering he saw it with his own two eyes, as well as the fact that he walked in on a kid being molested and did absolutely nothing to help that child. Paterno had 2nd hand knowledge of the incident, meaning that from his point of view, it could have been true or false. If the College told him they did an investigation and that the information was baseless, he would have no choice but to accept that. Paterno was dupable, he was not.

C Jones said:
I'm talking about for the "blue out". In support of the victims.

What Sandusky did to those victims is downright evil. The media's hounding of Paterno has caused people to lose sight of the real villains.

Ducarmel

Hari Seldon said:
Sandusky was not employed by Penn State he was an over glorified retiree/alumni.

I thinking he got some serious dirt on them, that they are willing to risk taking the hit keeping him on the job then him really going after the college if he is fired.

Dude Abides

Banned
harSon said:
No, it's a trillion times worse. He knew for sure that Sandusky was a child rapist and that nothing was being done about it considering he saw it with his own two eyes, as well as the fact that he walked in on a kid being molested and did absolutely nothing to help that child. Paterno had 2nd hand knowledge of the incident, meaning that from his point of view, it could have been true or false. If the College told him they did an investigation and that the information was baseless, he would have no choice but to accept that. Paterno was dupable, he was not.

That doesn't make it a trillion times worse. One was certain, the other had a report. Neither of them did much.

Paterno had a lot more power and a lot less to fear for reporting it. I'd say it's a wash.

Hari Seldon

Ducarmel said:
Sandusky was not employed by Penn State he was an over glorified retiree/alumni.

I thinking he got some serious dirt on them, that they are willing to risk taking the hit keeping him on the job then him really going after the college if he is fired.

I was referring to Curly and Shultz who were high ranking university officials that apparently McQueary is going to testify against.

Sanjuro

samus i am said:
What Sandusky did to those victims is downright evil. The media's hounding of Paterno has caused people to lose sight of the real villains.
The media anally raped children?! Why is Stephen A. Smith not in prison then?

Gary Whitta said:
I really think this is comparable to a Columbine or Virginia Tech in terms of lives destroyed and damage to the school. I dunno, is it fucked up to say that? I don't think it's a stretch if you believe rape is up there with murder.

I'm not sure if I could compare the 3. In terms of reputation whats happening to Penn State is far worse, VT was just one student going crazy and I don't think anybody blames the school for it. The Columbine shooting happened because of teasing and although the school took same blame nothing happened there that doesn't happen in every school.

C Jones

harSon said:
Are you saying that actually happened? Scott said JoePa never followed up after reporting it.

Salaadin

samus i am said:

If what that girl on the radio show linked above says is true, Sandusky was on campus YESTERDAY and the media wasnt chasing him around because they were all busy camped outside Joes house.

samus i am said:
Bull.

There's little discussion of Sandusky because there is no disagreement over the evil that he perpetrated.

JGS said:
But he did turn on him. The easiest thing to do would be not to say anything or lessen the import of what he saw.
I hope the legal standard never becomes firing a guy for what we think he knows.

Um, the legal standard is currently "fire a guy for any reason you want outside of discrimination" in most states.

Salaadin said:
If what that girl on the radio show linked above says is true, Sandusky was on campus YESTERDAY and the media wasnt chasing him around because they were all busy camped outside Joes house.

Now that is seriously sickening!

Futureman

does anyone have a link to that photo of Paterno with the "I dunno!" look on his face holding his hands up in the car?

what I don't get about the whole situation is that it was determined that Sandusky was not allowed to bring kids on campus anymore. What fucking world do these people live in where that is proper punishment for raping a kid? EVERYONE who knew about what happened and didn't move to put Sandusky behind bars should be fired straight up. Sandusky is REALLY set to coach on Saturday? Fucking laugh out loud.

samus i am said:
Just because one guy did something horrific doesn't give everyone else a pass just because what they did was less worse. Paterno deserves to be raked over the coals for his actions.

Saw this:

"Paterno, 84, now has the unfathomable task of having to adjust to life without being a football coach."

Fuck off. If you want to talk about unfathomable tasks, how about being the victim or the loved one of a victim who has to recover from serial child rape? Who gives a fuck about (a) football or (b) those who enabled these crimes right now?

Man, I did not realize how seriously people take college football in some parts of the US. Would any other school react like this or is this exclusive to Penn State because Joe Paterno is some sort of cult figure there?

Sanjuro

samus i am said:
No that was Sandusky. You see how misinformation can spread?
No, I was just responding to your idiotic postings about the media. The media is the only reason ANYTHING is getting done at this corrupt institution.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
samus i am said:
Now that is seriously sickening!

Why? He posted bail. He hasn't been found guilty by trial as of yet.

As distasteful as it seems, accusations are not enough to strip of his freedom.

He'll have his day in court.

Dude Abides

Banned
samus i am said:

Everyone agrees Sandusky is a monster; there's no controversy. He doesn't have a deluded defense force rioting in the streets. Paterno does.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Bowser said:
Anyone mind posting a mp3 download link to this? I'm at work and the site itself is blocked, but I'd like to hear it.
right click, save link as.

just copy the link and email it to yourself. it's already an MP3.

Bowser

scorcho said:
right click, save link as.

just copy the link and email it to yourself. it's already an MP3.

Tried that, didn't work for whatever reason. I tried to get it over 3G on my phone, but it barely loads (working in Rockefeller Center during the holiday season overwhelms cell coverage here, slows data speeds to a crawl).

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Why? He posted bail. He hasn't been found guilty by trial as of yet.

As distasteful as it seems, accusations are not enough to strip of his freedom.

He'll have his day in court.

Is Penn State not allowed to restrict his access to campus?

Dude Abides said:
That doesn't make it a trillion times worse. One was certain, the other had a report. Neither of them did much.

Paterno had a lot more power and a lot less to fear for reporting it. I'd say it's a wash.

Exactly. The only reason I think McQueary is worse is because he physically could have tried to prevent something. Both people ended up doing very little.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
PastorOfMuppets said:
Man, I did not realize how seriously people take college football in some parts of the US. Would any other school react like this or is this exclusive to Penn State because Joe Paterno is some sort of cult figure there?

Yes. So many. Say John Wooten was trafficking in 3rd World orphans. Brentwood would riot. (OK, that made me laugh)

But yeah, there aren't as many storied individuals at colleges any more, which exacerbates the issue. But if you place hypotheticals on other legendary coaches and transpose them in the mordern age, I can see it happening.

like, if Woody Hayes shot a player instead of just punching them. I mean, I'm just stepping it up for the times.

PastorOfMuppets said:

Tennessee rioted after Lane Kiffin left.

God knows why, but they did.

Hari Seldon

Salaadin said:

Yeah I heard Sandusky was walking around the walmart that is like 1 mile off campus, while hoards of media were camped outside of Joe's house.

ChiTownBuffalo

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Is Penn State not allowed to restrict his access to campus?

Public property, and, well he poses no threat to adult students. He's not into adults right?

Maybe certain facilities and buildings, but just being on campus is harder.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Um, the legal standard is currently "fire a guy for any reason you want outside of discrimination" in most states.

Ironically something you would normally see JGS fight to the teeth to defend.

Sanjuro

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Public property, and, well he poses no threat to adult students. He's not into adults right?

I mentioned last night he should have came and joined in on the rioting. Students were stupid enough to probably rally behind him.

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Gotcha, I really wasn't sure if the campus grounds were public property. Yeah, there's not much that can be done about that, but jesus, Sandusky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom