• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Apologies to all for the derail. Respond in PMs if you feel the need, Kermit.

Kermit The Dog said:
Twaddle. Say I were to throw you a bone and believe your profession is 'understanding academic cultures', I fail to understand how an Australian university course could provide you with all the necessary requirements for you to swagger in here and gift us all a piece of your enlightened perspective.

I didn't swagger in here. I posted like everybody else. I mean that my area of scholarship is the nature and history of academic institutions. My jobs are in university teaching and in scholarly publishing. My perspective isn't tremendously enlightened, but it is not "audacious" for me to talk about academic culture.

Kermit said:
It's even more perplexing to me that you speak on the subject with such confidence, considering you've never stepped foot in an American college campus and experienced college life, not even for a day.

I speak with confidence because I'm confident in my observation.

Kermit said:
Regardless, why do you believe American higher education's love affair with college sport is so distasteful?

Distasteful isn't the word I would use. I think it is dysfunctional for a large proportion of an academic institution's reputation, administrative concerns, budget, interests, and ethos to be tied up in the operation of a sports franchise. I think the intensity of this dysfunction rises with the inexorable increase in scale of college sports. I think, as I stated earlier, that college sport has outgrown a legitimately controlled place in American academic institutions. Penn State is an extreme example of this dysfunction at work.

Flavius

Wife woke up this morning and turned on the news in the bedroom. I slept in a little bit, only to awake to the tape of the Sandusky interview. It was surreal, in a very, very disturbing way.

No bullshit...just hearing that while waking up fucked up my morning something awful. Typically, I consider myself "above" the masses when it comes to the court of public opinion, but here...I'm finding it really fucking difficult. Not sure if that's because I have two kids of my own, or if this fucking creepy dude disgusts me so much, or both...but what I've seen and heard is enough for me to hand him the rope to go hang himself.

Though he seems to be doing a great job of that on his own at the moment.

ssolitare said:
Common man he told the higher ups, it was a decision and technically, he did do something about it.

Why punish him for not telling the police, I just don't get it.

What if he told the police and he was wrong? That would have been an issue too. Hearsay and all that jazz.
Yes, he did do something about it, he passed the buck and washed his hands of it. He was a coward. When accusations of child molestation/rape come up (let alone involving someone you have known for decades and currently employ), passing the buck is a chickenshit thing to do. Besides, I'm of the opinion that when all is said and done we will find out that Paterno knew more then he's claiming

Salazar said:
I didn't swagger in here. I posted like everybody else. I mean that my area of scholarship is the nature and history of academic institutions. My jobs are in university teaching and in scholarly publishing. My perspective isn't tremendously enlightened, but it is not "audacious" for me to talk about academic culture.

I do believe it to be audacious, because your post was quite scathing of college football culture and you used such an extreme example to underline your analysis, which I personally found clumsy.

I speak with confidence because I'm confident in my observation.

Your perspective is based on that which you've read, not experienced, which I believe is significant in this case.

Distasteful isn't the word I would use. I think it is dysfunctional for a large proportion of an academic institution's reputation, administrative concerns, budget, interests, and ethos to be tied up in the operation of a sports franchise. I think the intensity of this dysfunction rises with the inexorable increase in scale of college sports. I think, as I stated earlier, that college sport has outgrown a legitimately controlled place in American academic institutions. Penn State is an extreme example of this dysfunction at work.

I don't know enough about the subject to retort, but I would be very interested in reading the opinions of Gaffers who have experienced this culture.

Cyan

Banned
Kermit The Dog said:
I don't know enough about the subject to retort, but I would be very interested in reading the opinions of Gaffers who have experienced this culture.
What, you mean Americans who have attended college?

ssolitare said:
Common man he told the higher ups, it was a decision and technically, he did do something about it.

What if he told the police and he was wrong? That would have been an issue too. Hearsay and all that jazz.
And then Sandusky kept coming around on campus and around his players and he didn't think twice about it? He deserved to fired. College coaches get fired for much less all the time.

Salazar

Kermit The Dog said:
I do believe it to be audacious, because your post was quite scathing of college football culture and you used such an extreme example to underline your analysis, which I personally found clumsy.

I think you'll find a whole bunch of folks writing and saying scathing things about college football culture. Not all of them went to football colleges. Not all of them are even American. You'll note I characterise Penn as an extreme example, which isn't using it to underline my analysis.

Ninja Scooter said:
And then Sandusky kept coming around on campus and around his players and he didn't think twice about it? He deserved to fired. College coaches get fired for much less all the time.

The rapist was already tired, what could he really do? Also what if it wasn't true? Or maybe it was, I heard that Sandusky was forced to retire related related reasons.

Regardless it was a bad decision not to tell the police but, I dunno if he should have been fired. I guess we will see what the real details are.

Salazar said:
You don't know what you are talking about. Athletics are not a large portion of any schools budget, interests or administrative concerns.

Penn St. is not an extreme example, it is an extreme exception.

Cyan

Banned
ssolitare said:
The rapist was already tired, what could he really do?
Ew.

I dunno if he should have been fired.
Yeah, you and the other PSU fans. I dunno.

bigtroyjon said:
You don't know what you are talking about. Athletics are not a large portion of any schools budget, interests or administrative concerns.

Penn St. is not an extreme example, it is an extreme exception.
Pretty much this. Sorry Salazar, but I can't think of a single other example of a college where athletics are even a blip on the radar. Ask who the football coach is at any other school, they won't say "JoePa! For life!", they'll give you a funny look and ask what a football is.

Salazar

bigtroyjon said:

By which you possibly mean that the athletics program "runs itself". But it is part of the university body. It would be fatuous to argue that it is not. Or you argue that it is not large. But it is. The coaches' salaries alone are preposterous.

Penn has been exposed to civil lawsuits, international disgrace, needlessly prolonged criminal activity by the operation of a football program that was accustomed to think that it was a law unto itself. Happens with other schools, diverting money from general funds to protect football programs in legal skirmishes about recruiting violations. More than 40% of Rutgers' sports program revenue came from general funds and student fees in 2009-10. In 2010, $800 million of student fees went to subsidise sports programs.

Vanderbilt spends $10 million-$15 million a year to support its athletics program -- at a cost of $2,000-$3,000 per student each year, Siegfried said.

Read more: http://journalstar.com/business/loc...115-55d3-9dca-ae790eb9d06f.html#ixzz1dsbyslY9

You think that's irrelevant.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Cyan said:
Pretty much this. Sorry Salazar, but I can't think of a single other example of a college where athletics are even a blip on the radar. Ask who the football coach is at any other school, they won't say "JoePa! For life!", they'll give you a funny look and ask what a football is.

According to Wikipedia our ball club is headed up by a gentleman by the name of Nick Saban who works in his capacity as a coach for free and derives his salary entirely from his work as a professor in the school of interior design.

Very weird.

Too many damn teams. I hear they are going to contract the SEC because there just isn't sufficient quality there to justify it. Efforts are going into ensuring that the Big East continues as the dominant tour de force for college athletics across the entire nation.

beast786

Cyan said:

I disagree with you 100%.

First sport culture. You think people are not attach to football or have no idea who the coach is in the crazy SEC conferences, do you think the 100,000 plus fans in stadiums that are packed through out USA have no idea about football. Same with basket ball in ACC.

Athletics is a huge budget, including scholarships for every starter and many bench players. Head coaches get paid more than any professor in big /medium Football schools, add travel expense for all your football players, work out facility etc etc.

you are extremely naive to think PSU is an exception

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/08/22/In-Depth/Budgets.aspx

Every DIV school is effected by athletic department

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/budg...sure-on-eastern-michigan-athletic-department/

remnant

Banned
Kermit The Dog said:
There's not much to read. College sport is big in certain universities, but the vast, vast majority of college institutions don't focus on sports at all, much less football. I'm going to hazard a guess to say Salazar has cherrypicked some stories, is applying a broad brush to the college experience in America, and chalking it up to weird Americanism.

basically if all you know about college in america is watching collegiate sports, then well surprise it seems like a far bigger deal than it really is. You don't see the hundreds, if not thousands of smaller schools and universities that don't focus on it.

ssolitare said:
The rapist was already tired, what could he really do? Also what if it wasn't true? Or maybe it was, I heard that Sandusky was forced to retire related related reasons.

Regardless it was a bad decision not to tell the police but, I dunno if he should have been fired. I guess we will see what the real details are.

So not following up on whether or not a child rapist was being exposed to his players is not worthy of being fired, but having a player take money from an agent , or going 3-9, those are where the line is drawn? Gotcha.

Paterno dropped the ball. He doesn't deserve to go to jail. But losing his job is perfectly fair to me. He has a LOT of responsibility and failed massively.

Cyan

Banned
mre said:
According to Wikipedia our ball club is headed up by a gentleman by the name of Nick Saban who works in his capacity as a coach for free and derives his salary entirely from his work as a professor in the school of interior design.

Very weird.
Oh hey, I didn't realize this stuff was considered significant enough to rate a wikipedia article!

And my goodness, it looks like my old university has cobbled together a team as well! I'm surprised those boys have enough time to play in matches, between going to class and studying for examinations.

Pollux

Cyan said:
Oh hey, I didn't realize this stuff was considered significant enough to rate a wikipedia article!

And my goodness, it looks like my university has cobbled together a team as well! I'm surprised those boys have enough time to play in matches, between going to classes and studying for examinations.
Well I mean, when your hardest class is basket weaving you might be able to squeeze in a practice or two.

Salazar

remnant said:
There's not much to read. College sport is big in certain universities, but the vast, vast majority of college institutions don't focus on sports at all, much less football. I'm going to hazard a guess to say Salazar has cherrypicked some stories, is applying a broad brush to the college experience in America, and chalking it up to weird Americanism.

I wasn't alleging that there is a dysfunction at large in American colleges. I concur that a majority of institutions don't have this problem. And I can understand if people in or around big football colleges don't necessarily see it as a problem. But I think it is one, and one that will probably worsen in accordance with the auto-pilot determination to "grow brands" and pull in more tv revenue and expand stadia. Because while some (noted economists say not many) of these programs really do pay for themselves, and more than that - a whole bunch of them don't, and what these other schools do is come for the general funds. And when you are drawing large sums of money from a university's state and student fee coffers to pay for its sports teams to try and compete with bigger schools, you're not actually interested in the university as an institution or a concept.

Cyan said:
This might be the most naive statement about collegiate athletics that I have ever seen.

Cyan

Banned
beast786 said:
These seems like reasonable amounts of money to allot to an athletic club.

Code:
School 		FY2010 	FY2011 	FY2012 	Change (2010-12)
California  	$69.4 	$64.2 	$71.2 	+2.6%
It looks like my alma mater gives the club about $70 a year. I suppose it goes toward shoes and uniforms for those who can't afford them on their own.

Mrbob said:
This is a bit curious. In July Paterno transferred ownership of home to his wife for 1 dollar?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/s...ownership-of-home-to-his-wife-for-1.html?_r=1
Hrm. I know a little about estate planning, but from the finance/tax side rather than the law side. From the finance side, this looks like a pointless transaction.

mre

Cyan said:

Code:
It looks like my alma mater gives the club about $70 a year. I suppose it goes toward shoes and uniforms for those who can't afford them on their own.
Look at what he's saying, though. Look at the $7 increase from last year to this year. You Californians have always liked to spend above your means.
Hrm. I know a little about estate planning, but from the finance/tax side rather than the law side. From the finance side, this looks like a pointless transaction.
Same from the legal side. In fact, if it was done in attempt to limit his personal liability in the event of a lawsuit, it would most likely be deemed a fraudulent conveyance and ignored by the courts.

From the tax law aspect of it, if he simply transferred it to his wife then it's really a null event. If he actually transferred it into a trust for, say, his children then there could be some benefit from an estate depletion point of view.

Cyan

Banned
mre said:
Look at what he's saying, though. Look at the $7 increase from last year to this year. You Californians have always liked to spend above your means.
You're right, that is a rather sharp increase. Perhaps the price of shoes has gone up? All the same, you're right--I'd rather they keep the amount steady.

Salazar

Cyan said:

Code:

About 12 pairs of Dunlop Volleys.

Ayo, here's a motherfucker of a stat.

According to research by Charles Clotfelter, an economist at Duke, the average compensation for head football coaches at public universities, now more than $2 million, has grown 750 percent (adjusted for inflation) since the Regents decision in 1984; that’s more than 20 times the cumulative 32 percent raise for college professors.

750 percent. Fuck yeah.

Cyan said:
Unless your trying to shield that asset from potential litigation

beast786

Cyan said:

Code:

you do realize that it's 71.2 million right?

mre

Officerrob said:
Unless your trying to shield that asset from potential litigation
It If that was his intent, and there is evidence that shows he knew of some pending litigation, then the conveyance would likely be treated as fraudulent and ignored.

Cyan seriously now...I'm not on Salazars side but any Big 10 or Big 12 major D1 school the majority of the students know who the coach is and are fully influenced by the sport teams. I went to a D3 college and was an international student and even I knew the name of the football team coach.

Cyan said:

And my goodness, it looks like my old university has cobbled together a team as well! I'm surprised those boys have enough time to play in matches, between going to class and studying for examinations.

dschalter

DMczaf said:
But he didn't make Thriller.

for all i know that piss could have been digital.

I disagree with you 100%.

First sport culture. You think people are not attach to football or have no idea who the coach is in the crazy SEC conferences, do you think the 100,000 plus fans in stadiums that are packed through out USA have no idea about football. Same with basket ball in ACC.

Athletics is a huge budget, including scholarships for every starter and many bench players. Head coaches get paid more than any professor in big /medium Football schools, add travel expense for all your football players, work out facility etc etc.

you are extremely naive to think PSU is an exception

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou...h/Budgets.aspx

Every DIV school is effected by athletic department

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/budge...ic-department/

first, at the places where football is big, the football program (if not the athletics department as a whole, especially women's sports) often makes a profit. i do agree that small colleges trying to gain status by throwing money at a football program is stupid.

second, and more importantly, the idea of athletics dominating academics is a groundless one that is propagated by people who like to moralize. even at schools where football is huge (a very small minority), it's not like students are spending all their free hours watching the team practice and play and not doing any work because of it.

ssolitare said:

there is a big difference between stealing and child molestation

mre

Salazar said:
Yeah. It is stupendous, nevertheless.
Maybe, but it's disingenuous to compare the salaries of professors and head football coaches at major universities. The vast bulk of the coach's salary is paid out of donations by athletic boosters, compensation for participating in programs like a coach's call in show, and from guaranteed endorsement contracts secured by the university but paid by the sponsoring corporation. The actual "salary" of most coaches (at least at public universities) is probably not that far from the salary of a tenured professor.

It's late and I'm feeling too lazy and tired to look up actual numbers, but, if I remember correctly, Nick Saban's total compensation is something like $5.5m, but is only paid less than $200k out of public funds by the University of Alabama.

beast786

dschalter said:
for all i know that piss could have been digital.

first, at the places where football is big, the football program (if not the athletics department as a whole, especially women's sports) often makes a profit. i do agree that small colleges trying to gain status by throwing money at a football program is stupid.

second, and more importantly, the idea of athletics dominating academics is a groundless one that is propagated by people who like to moralize. even at schools where football is huge (a very small minority), it's not like students are spending all their free hours watching the team practice and play and not doing any work because of it.

I am not debating about athletics dominating academic , even though I would argue when it comes to money in budget athletic departments are higher than almost any other department.

My main point was that PSU is not an exception to the rule, which he claimed.

Pollux

mre said:
Maybe, but it's disingenuous to compare the salaries of professors and head football coaches at major universities. The vast bulk of the coach's salary is paid out of donations by athletic boosters, compensation for participating in programs like a coach's call in show, and from guaranteed endorsement contracts secured by the university but paid by the sponsoring corporation. The actual "salary" of most coaches (at least at public universities) is probably not that far from the salary of a tenured professor.

It's late and I'm feeling too lazy and tired to look up actual numbers, but, if I remember correctly, Nick Saban's total compensation is something like $4.5m, but is only paid less than $200k out of public funds by the University of Alabama.
To quote the coach from the greatest college football movie of all time, The Program,

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

Salazar

dschalter said:

Only 22 of 120 Division I-A university athletics programs ran surpluses in 2009-2010. Probably the big ones.

dschalter said:

I grant that I am, at least in part, making a moral argument. I'm not arguing for a caricature of nobody studying, or of everybody studying less, because there is a big football game on or a large football program on campus.

beast786

Cyan said:
Pull the other one. What, is this a polo club featuring Andrew Carnegie, John D. Rockefeller, and the Astors?

no it's paying for a football team when it travels to a bowl game. food, plane , lodging for all 70 players and all coaches , trainers, equipment people, cheerleaders, technical staff, medical staff, etc etc.

Pollux

Salazar said:
Only 22 of 120 Division I-A university college athletics programs ran surpluses in 2009-2010. Probably the big ones.

I grant that I am, at least in part, making a moral argument. I'm not arguing for a caricature of nobody studying, or of everybody studying less, because there is a big football game on or a large football program on campus.
Have you ever been to a big time college football game? Go to Auburn-Alabama, Texas-Texas A&M...

then get back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom