• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekial45

Banned
The woman on MSNBC was saying that it depended on the state and that she didn't know how it was in PA.
If he's put in general population, then he won't last unless he's in a private cell and is under constant guard. They have to separate him. Especially with someone with this much notoriety.

If he's put in general population, then he won't last unless he's in a private cell and is under constant guard. They have to separate him. Especially with someone with this much notoriety.

Yeah, he'd be dead within the first few months. And that amount of time might even be stretching it.

Sickest culture ever? Penn State makes a great case...

eRy2l.png

FyreWulff

Should be isolated. Proper punishment would be serving the most sentence he can until he dies. Prison vigilantism is some primal revenge bullshit.

DarkFlow

Banned
They can't put him in gen pop regardless of his notoriety. Inmates don't take kindly to child molesters and tend to kill them quickly.

grkazan12

Thank god, that monster has been put away for good. One thing I just want to add, I know I might be in the minority (of penn state students), but I just wanted to add that I'm currently a penn state student and I totally agree to stopping the football program for awhile. Anyone responsible for these heinous acts should be tried. Definitely don't consider myself to be part of that cult mentality and many of my friends who are students share the same thoughts. I could give two fucks about Joe Paterno.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to say that not all PSU students are part of the cult mentality and investigating this tragedy further is the right step.

Enron

Banned
Thank god, that monster has been put away for good. One thing I just want to add, I know I might be in the minority (of penn state students), but I just wanted to add that I'm currently a penn state student and I totally agree to stopping the football program for awhile. Anyone responsible for these heinous acts should be tried. Definitely don't consider myself to be part of that cult mentality and many of my friends who are students share the same thoughts. I could give two fucks about Joe Paterno.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to say that not all PSU students are part of the cult mentality and investigating this tragedy further is the right step.

Why the fuck would you want to STOP the football program for years and punish the students, the entire university, and hundereds of thousands (or millions) of supporters and fans for this? Did they molest some kids too? Just have a problem with sports fanaticism in general and now you've got some "justification"?

FyreWulff

Why the fuck would you want to STOP the football program for years and punish the students, the entire university, and hundereds of thousands (or millions) of supporters and fans for this? Did they molest some kids too? Just have a problem with sports fanaticism in general and now you've got some "justification"?

Because the football program's administration was involved in the cover up?

It needs to be cleaned out. Total reset from top to bottom. They can have it back - eventually. But at this point anyone vaguely connected to Sandusky just needs to go.

Enron

Banned
Because the football program's administration was involved in the cover up?

It needs to be cleaned out. Total reset from top to bottom. They can have it back - eventually. But at this point anyone vaguely connected to Sandusky just needs to go.

And guess what? You can still do that without DISBANDING THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM.

Christ.

Did USC fans take money from a ex-con wannabe agent too? Did the kids who were in middle school and high school when Bush was taking money for his mom deserve to be punished? The entire university? The millions of fans?

Okay, now compare that with a school where the people in charge were all basically cooperating to protect a guy who was raping children hundreds of times. Where in spite of the repeated warnings and information, they decided that their investments, the image of the school, and the rapist's dignity were more important than helping stop young boys from being raped.

The Penn State football team should be annihilated.

Enron

Banned
I don't think the logistics of that are as simple as you're making them out to be.

I don't think you understand how athletic departments work. I used to work closely with one. You can literally fire everyone associated with "running" the program, and have replacements brought in. You still have assistants, you still have facilities, you still have equipment, you still have players on scholarship. Christ, when coaches are fired by universities they usually bring in an all new staff from the coach on down, the only people really higher than that are the AD and his assistants. Finding a new AD isn't a problem, especially for someplace of Penn State's stature.

I sense a whole lotta hate towards sports culture in here, and the Sandusky stuff gives it an excuse to rear its ugly head. Some coach molested a bunch of kids. Some of his bosses helped cover it up or did nothing. We aren't talking about a vast conspiracy perpetrated by EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF THE FOOTBALL TEAM AND ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT here.

Because, if the emails NBC is reporting about are true, there is solid proof that the leaders of your football program at the highest level (The University President, the V.P, and the Athletic Director) conspired not to report the rape of a child which occurred on your campus, in your football facilities, by a former member of the football staff and a current booster and fundraiser for the football program, who already had been under suspicion of pedophilia, to the police.

If the emails are true, they shielded a child rapist because they wanted to be "humane" to Sandusky, and obviously to keep the football program, and their own business partnerships with Sandusky, (like Paterno's lucrative bottled water business) from facing the light of public scrutiny. This conspiracy led to more children being raped.

You guys put those guys in charge of your program. They were placed in the most powerful positions, and abused that power. Your program is held responsible for the actions of its leadership and it's boosters. That's the way the NCAA is supposed to work.

Firing people after the fact, after you get caught red-handed, doesn't mean shit.

FyreWulff

You don't need to do that either. Is this really this hard for you to understand?

Do you understand that a high ranking officials at Penn State, especially ones in the football program, covered up rape to protect their financial interests? They in fact let the rapist use Penn State's football program as bait to attract new victims and use access to it to get access to them?

Shut. It. Down. Penn State the University will be just fine. Don't need football to be a research and teaching facility.

Enron

Banned
Did USC fans take money from a ex-con wannabe agent too? Did the kids who were in middle school and high school when Bush was taking money for his mom deserve to be punished? The entire university? The millions of fans?

Okay, now compare that with a school where the people in charge were all basically cooperating to protect a guy who was raping children hundreds of times. Where in spite of the repeated warnings and information, they decided that their investments, the image of the school, and the rapist's dignity were more important than helping stop young boys from being raped.

The Penn State football team should be annihilated.

USC only got put on probation. TV, Bowl, Postseason ban, scholarship losses. They didn't blow up the football team for 2 years. Your comparison sucks.

annihilated? please.

USC only got put on probation. TV, Bowl, Postseason ban, scholarship losses. They didn't blow up the football team for 2 years. Your comparison sucks.

annihilated? please.

and what happened at Penn St. was substantially worse than a player taking money from a wannabe agent. I don't know if they should nuke the program as in never bring it back, but if any school deserves the SMU treatment again this is it. Shut down all football operations for a year or two. Clean fucking house. Release all players from scholarship and let them immediately go elsewhere.

DarkFlow

Banned

Would never happen. The last time a top tier school football was put on ice for a few seasons it basically killed it forever. SMU is the school I'm talking about in the 80's. They had a lot of NCAA rules broken and got a season ban. They never recovered and now the NCAA won't even do it no matter how many rules you break.

annihilated? please.

Put on probation for a victimless crime, is my point. One that USC didn't even know about.

In comparison, Penn State officials actively protected and aided a serial rapist. The head coach knew about it. The staff knew about it. But nothing was done.

How do you even start to administer the appropriate punishment? We're talking a postseason ban of what, 20 years? 80 scholarship losses per year? TV ban?
You know it to be true. You know that rationally there is no defense for what happened here, and the punishment cannot be harsh enough.

And yes, annihilated please.
But even if it's not, it's worse than what any NCAA program has done thus far. Worse than SMU. The program should be shut down for a minimum of 5 years, and that's being absurdly generous.

annihilated? please.

SMU got the "death penalty" and all they did was pay players via a slush fund. Covering up a prominent person raping kids on your campus, in your facilities, is a lot worse than paying payers.

You don't need to do that either. Is this really this hard for you to understand?

What do you not understand about institutional control? The main mission of any university should be for the benifit of the students and their education. The way the situation was handled, and the cover-up by athletic directors to protect the sanctity of the football program over the well being and protection of young kids shows Penn State does not have their priorities in order, and consequently should not be allowed to have a football program. Is this really this hard for you to understand?

Enron

Banned
Because, if the emails NBC is reporting about are true, there is solid proof that the leaders of your football program at the highest level (The University President, the V.P, and the Athletic Director) conspired not to report the rape of a child which occurred on your campus, in your football facilities, by a former member of the football staff and a current booster and fundraiser for the football program, who already had been under suspicion of pedophilia, to the police.

If the emails are true, they shielded a child rapist because they wanted to be "humane" to Sandusky, and obviously to keep the football program, and their own business partnerships with Sandusky, (like Paterno's lucrative bottled water business) from facing the light of public scrutiny. This conspiracy led to more children being raped.

You guys put those guys in charge of your program. They were placed in the most powerful positions, and abused that power. Your program is held responsible for the actions of its leadership and it's boosters. That's the way the NCAA is supposed to work.

Firing people after the fact, after you get caught red-handed, doesn't mean shit.

What's this "you" business? I'm not from Penn State.

Why would the NCAA get involved in this? This is purely a legal matter. Everyone involved with any of that ought to be arrested and go to jail or be put in the fuckin' chair. Why would you suspend the football program? Football program suspensions are for things like paying players, dirty players involved with agents, and other abuses that rot the integrity of the sport and involve everyone, from administrators to the players themselves on down. Like SMU in the 1980s. This does not meet that standard.

Why would the NCAA get involved in this? This is purely a legal matter. Everyone involved with any of that ought to be arrested and go to jail or be put in the fuckin' chair. Why would you suspend the football program? Football program suspensions are for things like paying players, dirty players involved with agents, and other abuses that rot the integrity of the sport and involve everyone, from administrators to the players themselves on down. Like SMU in the 1980s. This does not meet that standard.

THe head coach of the football program let a known rapist continue to USE FOOTBALL FACILITIES and INTERACT WITH HIS PLAYERS, and higher ups knew about this. HOw is this not an "abuse that rots the integrity of the sport"? People sent their 17 and 18 year old sons to go "learn" from Joe Paterno and he let a kiddie rapist hang out with them in the showers and weight rooms.

Enron

Banned
You're sick.

Im not sick, I think Sandusky ought to be taken out behind the courthouse and shot by a firing squad. But I can decouple anger from the football program and direct it where its necessary - namely Sandusky, and the university officials involved. There's absolutely no reason to take this out on the hundered+ young men, the two dozen or so other coaches who were not involved, and the hundreds of thousands of penn state students, alumni, and fans. And as I said before, some of you don't understand what exactly is an NCAA violation and what isn't.

THe head coach of the football program let a known rapist continue to USE FOOTBALL FACILITIES and INTERACT WITH HIS PLAYERS, and higher ups knew about this. HOw is this not an "abuse that rots the integrity of the sport"? People sent their 17 and 18 year old sons to go "learn" from Joe Paterno and he let a kiddie rapist hang out with them in the showers and weight rooms.

Because no actual NCAA violations occurred. Letting a suspected rapist interact with your players is bad judgement, but there's no NCAA rule being broken there.

The NCAA themselves haven't bothered bringing anything against Penn State.

DarkFlow

Banned
Do you understand that a high ranking officials at Penn State, especially ones in the football program, covered up rape to protect their financial interests? They in fact let the rapist use Penn State's football program as bait to attract new victims and use access to it to get access to them?

Shut. It. Down. Penn State the University will be just fine. Don't need football to be a research and teaching facility.
You'd be surprised how much of that football program pays for everything at your school.

Im not sick, I think Sandusky ought to be taken out behind the courthouse and shot by a firing squad. But I can decouple anger from the football program and direct it where its necessary - namely Sandusky, and the university officials involved. There's absolutely no reason to take this out on the hundered+ young men, the two dozen or so other coaches who were not involved, and the hundreds of thousands of penn state students, alumni, and fans. And as I said before, some of you don't understand what exactly is an NCAA violation and what isn't.

The NCAA is almost as corrupt as Penn St., what is and isn't a violation to them depends on who is involved. I think we are arguing that ideally, they'd nuke Penn St's program, but we all know they won't. Doesn't make it right.

FyreWulff

Letting the players go to other schools with no penalty would avoid the "taking it out on the players".

If Sandusky had just committed the crimes at his house, with kids from the neighborhood or something. Sure. I wouldn't even think about involving the football program in any way, since they would have had nothing to do with it.

But that didn't happen. The football program was HEAVILY involved in the whole affair, officials in it knew it was happening, covered it up, and let Sandusky use it to attract more victims. They traded away kids for more football money.

You'd be surprised how much of that football program pays for everything at your school.

Nebraska is a public university, funded by taxpayers. The vast majority of the football money goes directly back into football. And I'd want Nebraska's football program nuked if anything like this happened.

some of you don't understand what exactly is an NCAA violation and what isn't.

I'd imagine the NCAA didn't feel the need to enumerate each and every possible instance of ethical misconduct at the school. But hey, somebody better tell them to include a line saying that aiding a serial rapist IS NOT COOL because some people just don't know!

I'd imagine the NCAA didn't feel the need to enumerate each and every possible instance of ethical misconduct at the school. But hey, somebody better tell them to include a line saying that aiding a serial rapist IS NOT COOL because some people just don't know!

Gotta love the NCAA!!

A player gets a golf cart ride across campus from a guy who turns out to work for an agent=YOU BETTER SELF REPORT!

Let a known pedophile use team showers so he can rape kids=NOT OUR PROBLEM!

Sibylus

Banned
My dad helped at a football camp for kids when I was a kid, and he was faculty. So, he goes to jail too?

Speaking of which, fucking awkward for him to call and ask me stuff when all this broke.
"... and failed to act."

Specifically singling out those who knew all wasn't well and sat on the information, or worse, covered it up. No ill will toward your pa :)

Penn State football deserves the fucking death penalty for this. If the NCAA doesn't do it, the university itself should. How anyone could root for the program ever again is beyond me. Some of the stuff coming out about just how much the higher ups in the program knew about what was going on, is just sickening.

You sounded like you were.

Why would the NCAA get involved in this?

Because if they don't, it damages the entire fabric of the game. This whole event has put the culture of athletics in a very negative spotlight.

Why would you suspend the football program? Football program suspensions are for things like paying players, dirty players involved with agents, and other abuses that rot the integrity of the sport and involve everyone, from administrators to the players themselves on down. Like SMU in the 1980s. This does not meet that standard.

The NCAA Rulebook doesn't agree with you.

NCAA Bylaws said:
Title:19.01.2 - Exemplary Conduct.

Individuals employed by or associated with member institutions for the administration, the conduct or the coaching of intercollegiate athletics are, in the final analysis, teachers of young people. Their responsibility is an affirmative one, and they must do more than avoid improper conduct or questionable acts. Their own moral values must be so certain and positive that those younger and more pliable will be influenced by a fine example. Much more is expected of them than of the less critically placed citizen.

https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/by...023&reportType=NotMain&textTerms=&titleTerms=

And then of course there's the other catch-all "morals clause" of the NCAA, the Unethical Conduct (Bylaw 10.1) which lists examples, but also clearly states "may include, but is not limited to..."

quaere

I don't know why everyone is assuming the NCAA won't follow through on this. The situation is completely unprecedented. And I think it is very much the right move to allow the investigations to proceed further before making disciplinary decisions. Many people are yet to fall, much more will come out.

CorvoSol

Which I think is a problem with what's happening here. Sandusky's connection to the football program jeopardized it, and losing it was something nobody could countenance, so the football program became the shield for the man, and his actions went unhindered for over a decade. I don't mean to exaggerate too much, but I don't usually think of colleges when I think of conspiracies to cover up a member's misdeeds to protect their image.

And when money and face are valued more than the safety of kids, then the institution is so corrupt it needs to be razed and rebuilt. The moment they decided to cover up Sandusky's behavior, they ceased to care about anything other than their reputation and their money. If they'd cared about the students and the players, they'd have spared them this spectacle and the stigma that will forever be attached to the name "Penn State" by stopping him. But their own gain outweighed the students, the school, and most importantly, these children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom