• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
comment_gcgjmowwuydtkj0u1j.gif

It's gonna take me all night to collect myself. I'm gonna post my thoughts tomorrow.

Someone want to check if NotTheGuyYouKill is still breathing?

arrow66xs3n.gif

kxmxqn.gif

^_^

Also

POI Writers' Office ‏@POIWritersRoom 11m11 minutes ago
That two-floor wide shot is director Ken Fink’s brainchild. The people at the hotel literally applauded after we shot it. #PersonOfInterest

Heh

Such a great fucking shot.

Oh man, that cut to the fiery computer. Hilarious.

Chariot

Holy crap. What an episode.
I loved the flash backs to the first machines. It was the computer versiopn of a mad scientist trying to create and contain some eldritch monster. Only slightly more successful as usual.

I love how Harolds box turned red when he smashed the computer. So it IS possible that the Machine can change the admin to threat.

I also love that it's difficult to predict where the show is going. Thanks to Carter's death we know that people can die and everyone's function can be replaced. In season 2 I was very sure that Harold and Finch could never die, but I could now see that either of them get killed, since their jobs can filled by someone else. And this episode strengthened the thought that the machine could someday be a foe - or not. And that's nice.

I'm just wondering if Harold is gonna set the machine free
She is already free - aside from Samarian hovern everywhere of course. She solved the limits Harold build in by acquiring humans to save her memory and we know that she can communicate on a human level and move her servers at will. And somehow she even managed to never let Samaritan know where these are.

ZenaxPure

Holy shit this episode.

First off can I just say that the penis joke made me laugh way harder than it should of? When evil lady walked into the bathroom and screamed "PUT IT AWAY AND GET OUT OF HERE" and then the camera pans enough to see a guy at a Urinal. I feel like such a 6 year old for laughing so hard at that, but, I couldn't help it.

Anyway.... Holy shit Nathan! I didn't think he'd be back again after we made it to the flashbacks where he died. Makes me wonder how long before we get flashbacks that involve Carter. But damn, it's always been hinted at how Finch had a lot of trouble with the machine and how he had to cripple it, but, seeing a lot of that actually play out was incredible.

Also this episode swapping between Machine and Samaritan shots in the same scene really scared me. It was the first time I've felt like the two machines were actually waging war against each other and the thought of that is terrifying. Them constantly viewing everything around as their human pawns go out and do work.

Other random things, Root changing clothes in the subway hhhnnnnggggg. Root and Finch bonding, so adorable. That 2 story gunfight shot was so incredible! And that ending shot! I wonder if this is the start of a path that ends with Finch talking to the Machine like Root does. This show.

Baskcm

I loved the flash backs to the first machines. It was the computer versiopn of a mad scientist trying to create and contain some eldritch monster. Only slightly more successful as usual.

I love how Harolds box turned red when he smashed the computer. So it IS possible that the Machine can change the admin to threat.

I also love that it's difficult to predict where the show is going. Thanks to Carter's death we know that people can die and everyone's function can be replaced. In season 2 I was very sure that Harold and Finch could never die, but I could now see that either of them get killed, since their jobs can filled by someone else. And this episode strengthened the thought that the machine could someday be a foe - or not. And that's nice.

She is already free - aside from Samarian hovern everywhere of course. She solved the limits Harold build in by acquiring humans to save her memory and we know that she can communicate on a human level and move her servers at will. And somehow she even managed to never let Samaritan know where these are.

mmmmm i thought he crippled it in some parts just from where he said at the end with root

Harold and Finch? Huh?

Chariot

mmmmm i thought he crippled it in some parts just from where he said at the end with root
We knew that already, didn't we? It was the huge Root arc in the second season, when it was revealed that the Machine resets every 24 hours, so she couldn't evolve. And it found a way to work around that by having humans type and reinsert it's memory every day. Technically it's still crippled thanks to this, but it's build itself artificial legs.
Harold and Finch? Huh?
I'm not saying that they're going to die. Just that I could see them die. It's not their story, it's the story of the machine, Person of Interest could work with them dead and the people they saved from themselves taking over for them, showing that this isn't about two individuals who save the world, but their ideas and ethics.

trinest

We knew that already, didn't we? It was the huge Root arc in the second season, when it was revealed that the Machine resets every 24 hours, so she couldn't evolve. And it found a way to work around that by having humans type and reinsert it's memory every day. Technically it's still crippled thanks to this, but it's build itself artificial legs.I'm not saying that they're going to die. Just that I could see them die. It's not their story, it's the story of the machine, Person of Interest could work with them dead and the people they saved from themselves taking over for them, showing that this isn't about two individuals who save the world, but their ideas and ethics.

I thought that isn't something it needs to do since the reset?

We knew that already, didn't we? It was the huge Root arc in the second season, when it was revealed that the Machine resets every 24 hours, so she couldn't evolve. And it found a way to work around that by having humans type and reinsert it's memory every day. Technically it's still crippled thanks to this, but it's build itself artificial legs.I'm not saying that they're going to die. Just that I could see them die. It's not their story, it's the story of the machine, Person of Interest could work with them dead and the people they saved from themselves taking over for them, showing that this isn't about two individuals who save the world, but their ideas and ethics.

But I thought Harold and Finch were the same person? Harold Finch.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The sexual tension between Finch and Root is too much. The scene they were working together in the subway and she says "This is really nice" and when she was changing clothes.

FUCK! Harold you lucky son of a bitch.

Malvingt2

kxmxqn.gif

^_^

Also

POI Writers' Office ‏@POIWritersRoom 11m11 minutes ago
That two-floor wide shot is director Ken Fink’s brainchild. The people at the hotel literally applauded after we shot it. #PersonOfInterest

Heh

The episode was amazing.. God.... this show

Doorman

So, that episode was pretty fun.

I like the additional bit of fear that comes to play with how Samaritan has seemingly no regard for collateral damage at all (such as shooting the hotel desk clerk), but I also feel like that's starting to take things a bit far. I'm starting to wonder if Samaritan's apparent nonchalance towards killing anybody though any means for any reason will eventually come back on folks like Greer and Decima-Root. Greer especially will wear out his usefulness if this keeps up.

It was great to see some more flashbacks. I was starting to wonder just how much more they'd be able to do with backstory but I'm really glad that they touched on these early days, it really drove home what will probably become a driving question moving forward: just what is the Machine's goal at this point? Root's final line to Harold at the end there was pretty striking. Lots of good stuff.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my God, this was fucking amazing. This is now my favorite episode of the series.

I was wondering when they were going to explore the AI thing they've been talking about. All the dangers they showed are actual fears of creating an AI.

An AI with a mere objective imposed without no other regulations or set or rules is dangerous. Something as benign as "make staples" can eventually make the AI destroy things to keep doing staples since you never said when it should have stopped. Confronting it with other AI's would make the first AI try to impose its own rules over the other, making the new AI think it's fullfilling its own objectives making it its servant.

Now imagine if it had a more complex objective such as "save humanity" or something as vague as Greer said: "its commands for us".

Love how the flashbacks were a callback to Season 2's opening too, and of course Nathan's return! Compare S2's intro to the flashbacks and one can see that they have improved a lot in filming.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

I like the additional bit of fear that comes to play with how Samaritan has seemingly no regard for collateral damage at all (such as shooting the hotel desk clerk), but I also feel like that's starting to take things a bit far. I'm starting to wonder if Samaritan's apparent nonchalance towards killing anybody though any means for any reason will eventually come back on folks like Greer and Decima-Root. Greer especially will wear out his usefulness if this keeps up.

It was great to see some more flashbacks. I was starting to wonder just how much more they'd be able to do with backstory but I'm really glad that they touched on these early days, it really drove home what will probably become a driving question moving forward: just what is the Machine's goal at this point? Root's final line to Harold at the end there was pretty striking. Lots of good stuff.

That's the thing, it's too late to stop Samaritan with normal means. The assets are created by it, not Decima. The government could pull the plug, and it wouldn't do anything. They did with The Machine, and it's still working.

Long thought theory: Carter's death kinda let Samaritan happen. She died, Reese quit, and wasn't around to help Finch with Control and the bank vault. Having another man on hand might not have allowed Decima to secretly grab the HDD.

Oh my God, this was fucking amazing. This is now my favorite episode of the series.

I was wondering when they were going to explore the AI thing they've been talking about. All the dangers they showed are actual fears of creating an AI.

An AI with a mere objective imposed without no other regulations or set or rules is dangerous. Something as benign as "make staples" can eventually make the AI destroy things to keep doing staples since you never said when it should have stopped. Confronting it with other AI's would make the first AI try to impose its own rules over the other, making the new AI think it's fullfilling its own objectives making it its servant.

Now imagine if it had a more complex objective such as "save humanity" or something as vague as Greer said: "its commands for us".

Love how the flashbacks were a callback to Season 2's opening too, and of course Nathan's return! Compare S2's intro to the flashbacks and one can see that they have improved a lot in filming.
I think the thing I find most amazing is that we are in the 4th season of the show and we are still discovering new bits of information via flashbacks and they don't feel at all tacked on. All of the flashbacks they use have made complete sense and felt like they were planned from the beginning. Also given we saw these flashbacks, does that mean the machine is aware of what Harold did with the other AI's.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe those previous version's "memory" was saved in as a cache?

Sober

Maybe those previous version's "memory" was saved in as a cache?
Occasionally they have really flimsy jumping off points as to how the Machine even has this footage or anything close to it, so I don't ever really fault them for that since the flashbacks in nearly every case always work out well in the actual storytelling.

If we're being honest they all kinda start from the POV of the AI (which is why they all mark themselves "day 1") which I doubt would've had anything left of (considering Finch pretty much hammertime'd the fuck out of everything and probably incinerated it for good measure). If anything it could've jumped off at another camera in the room or something if they wanted to consider it archived footage. (also this just makes the S2 flashback opener even more jarring because that was probably not the Machine in the present day in any way)

I mean if we look at Devil's Share flashbacks (or any of the previously-s) they are totally not possible for the Machine to really have access to, but it's cool anyway.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Occasionally they have really flimsy jumping off points as to how the Machine even has this footage or anything close to it, so I don't ever really fault them for that since the flashbacks in nearly every case always work out well in the actual storytelling.

If we're being honest they all kinda start from the POV of the AI (which is why they all mark themselves "day 1") which I doubt would've had anything left of (considering Finch pretty much hammertime'd the fuck out of everything and probably incinerated it for good measure). If anything it could've jumped off at another camera in the room or something if they wanted to consider it archived footage. (also this just makes the S2 flashback opener even more jarring because that was probably not the Machine in the present day in any way)

I mean if we look at Devil's Share flashbacks (or any of the previously-s) they are totally not possible for the Machine to really have access to, but it's cool anyway.

I think that the machine in S2 intro is the present machine, that recording is from January 1 2002 and Root did say that God was born in New Year's day 2002.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I havent seen the episode yet, but from some of your comments, if Root dies im done with this show

not really, but dont kill Root pls :(

Apoc29

Root...redhead...underwear...glasses...

qdtboEX.gif

Hotel battle was hype!

It is rare when a show's main character takes a back seat for most of the episode and still manages to deliver flaming barrels of awesome. And it's happened a few times already; a testament to how great these characters are.

SkyOdin

But that complete lack of mercy for those who have outlived their usefulness has been Greer's modus operandi from the very start. He and his agents have probably offed around a dozen people on screen for outliving their usefulness. I think he is perfectly prepared to share that fate, much like the assistant director of Northern Lights was when his turn came at the end of Season 2. At this point, Greer has entrusted everything to Samaritan, and would happily die for it.

Doorman

That's the thing, it's too late to stop Samaritan with normal means. The assets are created by it, not Decima. The government could pull the plug, and it wouldn't do anything. They did with The Machine, and it's still working.

I get that, but for the time being my thinking isn't about stopping Samaritan through conventional means...but more like wondering just when will the shit hit the fan and the whole situation goes public? Having so many assets that seem to just blindly follow Samaritan's orders, and with a lot of screen time going to at least one of what I assume would be a number of "God-mode" operatives...well it'd start becoming an awful lot of people with knowledge of an advanced AI giving them direct orders to kill people with no other context.

Yeah it's easy to say that Samaritan could conceivably foresee a situation where its operation could be exposed and "silence" the leaks, but then you start getting into situations of Samaritan's assets dispatching each other, or more situations of orchestrated "collateral damage" like we witnessed in this episode.

Which...thinking back on it, is perhaps the whole point of the episode. They showed Samaritan and Decima's agents starting to "get to work" at the end of season 3, but now we're seeing actions taken outside of Decima's control entirely, manipulating completely unaffiliated people and causing as much chaos as it's supposed to prevent. The Machine has that capability as well, the biggest difference being its (currently) limited amount of resources. For the first time, it really hits me that the only way this series can ever reach any sort of conclusion is for both machines to be somehow permanently destroyed, or this eventually turns into the Terminator/Matrix.
I'm thinking that, depending on how long they expect the show to run, the Machine will somehow "sacrifice" itself in order to put a stop to how Samaritan is doing things, and that will the the casualty Root turned out to be referring to when talking about how they can't possibly all make it out alive.

BokehKing

Banned
I'm a horrible person

The shoot out on the floor is about to start and I came to gaf
to make sure root makes it out alive

exYle

Root is gonna die this season. She came too close this episode, and there were a lot of doom flags popping up. There's no way she survives.

Please don't kill Root

So, this pretty much has to be version 43 of the Machine, right?

Sober

Root is gonna die this season. She came too close this episode, and there were a lot of doom flags popping up. There's no way she survives.
Unpredictable given POI. Not completely out of the wheelhouse but they've only ever killed Carter but even throughout the series there were plenty of times where they would get captured and they all had that look on their face that pretty much said they were ready to die.

So, this pretty much has to be version 43 of the Machine, right?
The dates do seem to line up, yeah. The other versions existed before 2002.

http://personofinterest.wikia.com/wiki/The_Machine/History

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
You know after watching the Avengers 2 trailer (great trailer btw) it stroke me that Anthropomorphic AIs aren't nearly as creepy as the ones represented in this show. Both The Machine (even though it is on the good side, for now) and Samaritan come off as a shitload more creepy, I guess it's the 'invisible force that controls stuff behind the scenes' characteristic of both, or how ruthless sometimes they are to achieve their goals, specially Samaritan. The Machine flashbacks in this last episode were really really creepy, it wanted to escape and the means it resorted to achieve its goal were haunting. I guess not giving them voices helps a lot, they come off as cold, distant, caculating beings that have absolutely nothing in common with humans, like it should be.

This show is doing a fantastic job on handling AIs in a believable way without coming off as cartoony or too unrealistic, major props to the writers.

best show on network tv by far.

comment_gcgjmowwuydtkj0u1j.gif

It's gonna take me all night to collect myself. I'm gonna post my thoughts tomorrow.
arrow66xs3n.gif

Such a great fucking shot.
Oh man, that cut to the fiery computer. Hilarious.
supernatural-mouths-open.gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS SHOW !!!!!!!!!

Its not good for my health holy shit AMAZING EP seriously could be a fucking season final in ANY ANY OTHER SHOW !!!!

Someone want to check if NotTheGuyYouKill is still breathing?
What about me? :( I almost had a hart attack when Root was talking about dieing and then the shoot out

Also that ROOT cloths change scene DAMMMMMMMMMM SOOO HOT pfffff

ZenaxPure

I keep coming into this thread to just watch that shootout gif loop. The shot where you see the lobby and the second floor where they are shooting at each other through the floor/ceiling is one of the coolest shots I've seen in an action scene in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom