• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tugatrix

shit shit shit, I almost though they would go ahead and
kill Root
, what a relieve they didn't

that god mode UI it's amazing

ZenaxPure

god mode UI?

There are a few shots in the episode where Samaritan is looking up maps and then another where it is figuring out bullet trajectory and the best place for whats her face to shoot her gun with % chances of a successful shot.

But let's be honest though, it wasn't nearly as cool as the machine doing a similar thing at the end of season 2 with Reese in the library. I always really enjoyed that and always figured they would do it again someday. Wonder if it was too expensive/time consuming for the POI graphics team to do again lol.

maxcriden

Really neat episode. The season has been gelling well for me, and it was great to see Jason Ritter in this episode. Felt bad for the guy getting gaslit like that.

Sober

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/person_...mmy_voters_need_take_notice_amy_acker-2014-10

Zap2it wonders why the hell the show always gets ignored at the Emmys, and how Amy Acker deserves an Emmy.

I wonder about it too, and agree completey about Amy Acker she is killing it.

sci fi

not on cable

show runner/creator/directors/actors/writers not hollywood household names

sci fi

cbs

procedural

not enough people tripping over themselves about it to reach critical mass

take your pick

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/person_...mmy_voters_need_take_notice_amy_acker-2014-10

Zap2it wonders why the hell the show always gets ignored at the Emmys, and how Amy Acker deserves an Emmy.

I wonder about it too, and agree completey about Amy Acker she is killing it.

Because fuck the Emmys. Emmys see a procedural with a sci-fi component and it doesn't fit into their "prestige" image. Probably the same thing with Hannibal, they just see "horror" and "remake" and ignore the merits.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Sci fi? After the NSA leaks we're past that! Okay maybe not in the all powerful AI, but we're getting there.

And Jonah Nolan is gonna get some credit out of Interstellar (which he wrote along his brother), and while I'm not going to start assuming anything, if the movie is good, there's a good chance he might get some awards.

But the rest are totally true :(

ZenaxPure

Because fuck the Emmys. Emmys see a procedural with a sci-fi component and it doesn't fit into their "prestige" image. Probably the same thing with Hannibal, they just see "horror" and "remake" and ignore the merits.

I don't really keep up with the Emmys, but, browsing through the past winners of the years it looks like the main thing they all have in common is super ultra srs character drama. As good as POI is I think I'd classify it as more a sci-fi action show than anything else. Certainly doesn't have a lot in common with a lot of the other winners over the past decade just browsing through the list.
Main difference is it's better than most of what seems to win

So yeah, I think I agree with your surmise.

people liked this shot?
kxmxqn.gif

lmao. root looked freaking absurd, like she was doing some uncoordinated dance. it just looked awkward as hell.

pretty cool episode though.

edit: i looked at the past emmy winners. thought i'd be mad since boardwalk empire never won but still their choices aren't bad. like you can't really argue with mad men or breaking bad winning so many years.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
She wasn't really trying to dance there, just dodging bullet trajectories. Heck, the shot looked cooler and more badass because of it.

Tugatrix

people liked this shot?
kxmxqn.gif

lmao. root looked freaking absurd, like she was doing some uncoordinated dance. it just looked awkward as hell.

edit: i looked at the past emmy winners. thought i'd be mad since boardwalk empire never won but still their choices aren't bad. like you can't really argue with mad men or breaking bad winning so many years.

it's gunkata man

gunkata was always the dumb stepbrother to john woo's dove-kata. nobody does it better than chow yun fat/nic cage/tom cruise.

but root looks like a gunkata amateur. bale would never keep his arms straight like that, he knows true fluid motion is in relaxed joints.

root
camby.png

ZenaxPure

Mad Men is one of if not the most boring piece of television I've ever suffered through an entire season of.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finally watching the latest ep, do NOT kill Root goddamn it, you fuckers.

her speech is basically a dying character's speech, dont you fucking dare writers >_<

ZenaxPure

damn. personally i found it to be the best tv show since sopranos finished.

People always say that, but, there was just never a single episode I thought was entertaining. And I always give television shows a fair shake, I watched the entire first season and about half of the second, but, I just couldn't take it anymore and stopped.

Actually I guess I did really enjoy the opening credits a lot. Really cool looking and a great song.

Verger

Banned
Well, what a great episode. The early incarnations of the machine were scary, and that only goes to heighten the fact at how scary Samaritan will be, given it has received no training on how to "care" at all. I was waiting for them to complete the metaphor with The Machine being God, and therefore Samaritan is the Devil.

It's nice to see that Decima/Greer finally has a named character as a muscle in Martine. I always felt it seemed oddly glaring that Decima was the only faction without the "muscle" character. Team Machine has John, Elias has his bodyguard Marconi, "The Brotherhood" has Link, Control had Hersch, Vigilance had Collier, and HR had Simmons. I often wondered if Kara Stanton was originally intended to be an Asset for Decima, but they had to write the character out quickly because the actress wanted to go to The Following.

TripOpt55

Great episode. Haven't felt this season has been as good as last so far, but this episode is more what I'm looking for. Awesome stuff.

people liked this shot?

I love the wide shot. I love a gun fight happening through the floor, but I have to agree Root just looks too awkward.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It may probably be the most solid show on air.

I'm shocked by how damn good and consistent is every single episode since they dropped the hammer in S2.

Oh, and the redhead lass playing Reese's shrink gets a pass~

exYle

I wonder why Decima has so much British personnel. Greer, Martine and Lambert so far.

I thought Martine was just pretending to be a Brit for the season opener. The one person she wouldn't have to hide her accent from is Greer, and she spoke to him with an American accent

I have seen Lost many years ago and Love Benjamin Linus as a character but now whenever I see Emerson he is instantly associated with Harold for me..further proving POI>Lost

Frog-fu

Banned
I don't know about POI > LOST (I really like both) but Benjamin Linus and Harold Finch are great characters, and Emerson totally owns both.

I don't know about POI > LOST (I really like both) but Benjamin Linus and Harold Finch are great characters, and Emerson totally owns both.

I really like LOST too just salty over the final season lol..but yeah Emerson channeling Linus in ep2 was freaking awesome for me in POI

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I really like both, and Lost had alot of memorable characters and moments, and I never got turned off by the crazy storyline, but I've liked POI more, because it's ongoing storyline is better, while also not being as crazy. I don't have to suspend my belief, even with having a massive AI storyline. It feels very plausible. Only moment that comes close to non-believable, was when Harold had to fly the passenger jet with a computer a thousand+ miles away.

Finch > Ben, though I liked the overall change that Ben went through. It's just that he was on the bad guy side for way too long, and too many times. Dude probably should have been killed 2-3 times.

POI also doesn't quite have a Sawyer or Hurley in it, though some of Shaw and Reese's sense of humor leans towards Sawyer.

SpyGuy239

That episode was UNREAL.

I don't know how this show still gets better all the time at season 4 but HOT DAMN THANK YOU.

Also that new Samaritan agent/asset feels very CYLON to me :p

aaaaa0

So good.
Finch: "Samaritan put Perez in power, only to kill her off. Next in line, her lieutenant-governor Nick Dawson."

Root: "So Samaritan wanted him to run the state all along? We need to figure out its endgame."

Finch: "How? It&#8217;s playing twenty moves ahead."

Root: "It operates based on rules&#8230;"

Finch: "Rules that we can&#8217;t even grasp!"

Root: "We understand the Machine, we can understand Samaritan."

Finch: "We don&#8217;t understand the Machine at all! Out of 43 versions, how many do you think there were that didn&#8217;t try to either trick or kill me? One. And I could only bring it to heel by crippling it. I put the Machine in chains, bereft of voice or memory, and now it has both and it terrifies me."

Root: "You don&#8217;t trust the god that you made?"

Finch: "It&#8217;s not a divinity. I programmed it to pursue objectives within a certain parameter, but it's grown out of my control. One day, to suit its own goals, it&#8217;s possible that the Machine will try to kill us. We are only numbers to it, code&#8230;"

Root: "No. The Machine cares about us."

Finch: "If it fools you into thinking that you&#8217;re special, that assumption may doom you."

Root: "You&#8217;re wrong. She choose me. I will protect her and you."

Finch: "The second that a bullet enters your brain, the Machine will cast you off and replace you. Don&#8217;t tie your life to its whims. We cannot understand these intelligences, the best we can hope for is to survive them."

Root: "She loves us Harold. She taught me to value life. But war requires sacrifice. I&#8217;m not lost. I&#8217;m scared. We&#8217;re losing. But I know where I am, and where I&#8217;m headed."

Finch: "We have more to look forward to than death."

Root: "I hope so. But the life I&#8217;ve led, a good end would be a privilege."

Finch: "It&#8217;s not where you begin, it&#8217;s where you end up. You&#8217;re a brilliant woman, comrade, and&#8230; a friend."

Root: "If the worst comes to pass, if you could give Shaw a message&#8230;"

Finch: "I think she already knows. We will win this war."

Root: "If we do, there&#8217;s no chance in hell all of us make it out alive. You have to be prepared for that."

Shivers. Shivers through that whole scene. The writing in this show is so good. The acting is so good. The music is so good.

Frog-fu

Banned
I really like LOST too just salty over the final season lol..but yeah Emerson channeling Linus in ep2 was freaking awesome for me in POI

The earlier seasons of LOST are the main reason why I still really like it, but even when the plot got significantly worse towards the end, the majority of the characters were still good, and it's to them I'm attached, far more so than the overall story.

So good.

Shivers. Shivers through that whole scene. The writing in this show is so good. The acting is so good. The music is so good.

That was a great scene, agreed.

I've been so busy lately that I haven't been keeping up with television, but I finally sat down to get caught up with this season of POI so...

I thought the preview for the second episode made it look lame as hell but it was surprisingly good. The Samaritan twist was killer. Finch tossing his laptop out the window and turning back to Shaw to whisper "Drive!" had me freaking the fuck out. (Amazing line delivery, Emerson is such a great actor.) The puzzles and clues were still a bit goofy but the scenes with Finch and Claire were sad and touching. The dramatic irony of the ending ("I will protect you now") broke my heart. Possible recurring character here?

Similarly, I thought the preview for the third episode made it look ridiculously lame, but it turned out to be a decent standalone, much better than stuff like Reasonable Doubt (that's up there for worst episode ever for me). Fusco is great as always, and the action bits with Shaw were on point. That knife fight, so good. It's still a bit of a weak episode, similar to something like Lady Killer with the cute humor and fan service. I don't go in for that usually but Finch doing a Reese impression was certainly entertaining. The ending with the missile, and the look on Finch's face, was great.

The fourth episode was surprisingly dull, outside of the Finch and Elias meetings. It gets real fucking good right at the end, finishing with a tragic note similar to Nautilus ("he'll find his way back to us") and then of course the stone cold foreshadowing (there's only one rule, and my body is so not ready for this).

It sort of feels weird that there's now two episodes essentially establishing the Brotherhood. I mean, a whole episode for Dominic, and he's introduced similarly to Elias? Like a couple other posters have mentioned, this has been a pretty slow start (also feels a little predictable with each episode having Team Machine going to get something for the upcoming fight: a new phone network, a new base, a new source of income, new weapons), but then every season tends to start slow. I guess I'm just a little impatient.

Two observations so far:

1. The writers are still doing a good job keeping the episodes tightly interwoven. I almost missed the connection to the Brotherhood in the PUA episode ("some guy named Dominic asked him to..."). That's damn good. Even the breather episodes continue to expand the mythology.

2. On the point of Dominic having a similar intro to Elias, yeah, it seems like the writers really like this device, but this time there's an obvious and intentional comparison there (Elias saying in the premiere that Dominic sounds like him when he was younger). There are a lot of parallels and reversals so far this season that have provided some rich thematic material. Claire's search for meaning and structure was the most affecting, for me, and the scene with her and Finch on the observation deck was nicely done. There's the obvious and chilling comparison between her and Root (she'll do whatever Samaritan asks, and isn't that a scary thought... says Root, who does whatever The Machine asks, haha) but it also reminded me of Reese, who was lost after his wife died, and whose life was given purpose and structure by Finch and The Machine. The tragedy of that ending is really one of the best moments of the whole series so far, the more I reflect on it. That's echoed in the ending of Brotherhood, too, with the kid being stuck in that system of crime and violence. The Machine says we all have to make our own choices, but what we're seeing so far this season is people who are not capable of making good choices, or simply don't have good options to begin with. This follows even from last season, with the Machine asking Reese and company to kill the senator in Death Benefit. They had to make a choice, they made the right choice, and this is what happened.

This show is becoming more emotionally sophisticated than I had ever anticipated. I feel like on some dramatic, existential level we're still stuck at the end of Cura Te Ipsum, gun on the table, being asked to help make a good decision. And no matter what the choice, it ends with an abrupt cut to black. The echoes between that and Death Benefit, specifically, are seriously scary ("Which do you think I'm going to regret more, letting you live or letting you die?" I mean, holy shit.) The writing team has maintained a laser focus on this stuff. I'm seriously impressed.

This post also became a lot longer than I had anticipated but the tl;dr version is: Hi, POI-GAF, it's good to be back, I love this show. Off to watch the fifth episode now. Sounds like it's a good one.

Off to watch the fifth episode now. Sounds like it's a good one.

yiMtvFE.gif

Martine in God Mode. Holy fuck.

Reese talking about Carter brought the feels. The episode explicitly says there will be sacrifices, and flirts with the possibility of losing Root, but it also hints at Reese's fate. The therapist straight up says to him "You can't save them all. [...] You're going to get yourself killed." So much dread and ambiguous foreshadowing in this episode. :(

And for a second there, I thought the twist was going to be that The Machine had been vote tampering to fight Samaritan's plans, but no, of course not. The Machine can't fight that openly. She is legitimately scrambling, and Samaritan's infiltration of the government is already so staggeringly deep it wouldn't even matter. This show is getting really bleak, really fast. :(

Sad faces everywhere. This show, I can't take it. :(

Getting caught up on the discussion now that I am caught up on the season:

Long thought theory: Carter's death kinda let Samaritan happen. She died, Reese quit, and wasn't around to help Finch with Control and the bank vault. Having another man on hand might not have allowed Decima to secretly grab the HDD.

There were other opportunities. Root could have stopped Decima from getting the super processor or whatever that chip was, but chose to save the POI instead, because The Machine kept saying "Save him" in her ear over and over. When events were reaching the point of no return, The Machine straight up asked the team to kill someone, and Finch talked Reese out of it.

That goes back to what I was writing about in my previous post. The irony and tragedy of the Season 3 story arch is that The Machine was trying to help her assets make good decisions, but they could never see what The Machine sees or hope to understand those decisions. Ultimately, they have to make their own choices, with their own sense of humanity and morality. Ultimately, their choices allowed Samaritan to happen.

Sober said:
If we're being honest they all kinda start from the POV of the AI (which is why they all mark themselves "day 1") which I doubt would've had anything left of (considering Finch pretty much hammertime'd the fuck out of everything and probably incinerated it for good measure). If anything it could've jumped off at another camera in the room or something if they wanted to consider it archived footage. (also this just makes the S2 flashback opener even more jarring because that was probably not the Machine in the present day in any way)

The S2 opening is The Machine, absolutely, since it flashes forward through all of her archive footage to reach the present day.

I think these flashbacks were just intended as a regular storytelling flashback device and nothing more. They weren't files or something The Machine or Samaritan had access to, as there wasn't a visual accompaniment of the usual "searching through archives" graphic display. They were just for the audience's benefit, showing the POV of various incarnations of The Machine before the final version, to contrast the present day events and explore the themes of Finch's distrust and the unknowable/inhuman nature of The Machine and Samaritan's intelligences.

Oh, and to whoever it was talking about Greer (sorry, too tired to go back through the thread again), yeah, I always assumed this ended with Samaritan getting rid of Greer.

And it continues to beg the question: Who does Greer work for? Will that ever be answered, does it even matter anymore? I know other posters have brought this up, so I know I'm not the only one who hasn't forgotten about his conversation with Stanton. It's driving me crazy.

desu

Finally catched up to Season 4 now. It's amazing how consistently good the episodes are, really enjoyed all of them so far, most with some really really cool moments. If the season continues to go on like this, this might just become my favourite POI season so far.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I imagine the end with be, either the end of electricity on the planet (ala Revolution) or some sort of Virus (probably made up by The Machine) that will kill off AI's, including itself.

I don't see how it's possible for either AI to survive, if the other one is destroyed.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds as if it were the end of the series, not a season finale. But hey, they kinda changed the status quo some times already, so who knows.

ZenaxPure

I've always kinda wondered what a season would be like if there was no Machine or Samaritan. Seems like it would be hard to keep the number of the week format going that way though, they'd have to get creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom