• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Thing is, that NSA guy back in season 1, more or less had the Machine epiphany right in front of Fusco, and laid it out that there's probably an AI watching everyone.

Fusco ain't got time to care for that Technobabblebullshit.

Nobility

Banned
Thing is, that NSA guy back in season 1, more or less had the Machine epiphany right in front of Fusco, and laid it out that there's probably an AI watching everyone.

Fusco ain't got time to care for that Technobabblebullshit.

Agreed.

I think Fusco will find out eventually, but I think he's happy in his own bubble.

I believe he also said in the beginning of S2 when Hersh was snooping around the precinct that what ever game they are playing, they are above our (Fusco & Carter) level.

TripOpt55

Awesome episode. Shaw was my favorite character so losing her is super sad. I suppose given the nature of this episode, they could certainly pull back on that somehow, but not sure if it would just feel like poor form.

Lonestar

tumblr_nhskzgXSCg1qz4t0no1_400.gif

Chariot

Oh god, this fucking show. THIS FUCKING SHOW.

So much suspense, so much action, so much fun, so much tears, so much good music. I can do anything else but be in awe episode for episode. The simulations were brutal, despite knowing that they were simulations. Roots dying call to Shaw was heartwrenching and the last scene just destroyed me. Holy shit.

Nontheless, the other deaths were tragic too and it was nice to see how much everyone cared for the others. Pretty awesome how far they came, since all of them had little empathy in the beginning (Fusco the most, but even he was a corrupt cop). Harold didn't just teach the machine how to care, he teached his friends.

The funny scenes were very well too and didn't disturb the serious ones. I loved the scenes were Fusco kisses Root just because and the meta talk. Saving the painting a great touch too.

At first I was bit angry that Harold stated that chess is too complicated for any computer, since it's actually not that complicated compared to for example go, after all human chess masters were beaten by computers, but go programs can barely scratch that level of experienced players, but it made sense for the values of the stones.

And now I really want a X-COM like Person of Interest game where saving and loading is part of the game and explained as the machine reevaluating options. Could be even with some kind of beta team, so people can actually die.

Chariot

Whelp, usually an exit interview on EW isn't a good sign.
Sounds like even if she's not dead, she's not gonna be around for a long time either due to being pregnant with twins.
She could be disabled or in a coma. With the latter they could put her on break and bring her back any time and with the former, she could take part without having to move a lot. Plus, she don't have to get in shape back fast. I have something like an Oracle like operator in mind. Opposed to her barely being able to stay for five minutes at their headquarter, she could be the castellan.

She could be disabled or in a coma. With the latter they could put her on break and bring her back any time and with the former, she could take part without having to move a lot. Plus, she don't have to get in shape back fast. I have something like an Oracle like operator in mind. Opposed to her barely being able to stay for five minutes at their headquarter, she could be the castellan.

Well, (promo spoilers)
the entire episode is around the Machine Gang tearing shit up to get her back, not even knowing if she's alive.

I bet she'll be alive, but crippled and so she'll be sent to do something overseas that will have to be important in disabling Samaritan.

Kiss of Death again huh? Man, this show is off the rails.

Every goddamn trilogy.

Chariot

Kiss of Death again huh? Man, this show is off the rails.
I now have to imagine John having weird issues of having a hard time kissing people out of fear of them dying. Just imagine Zoe Morgans face when John insists that everything's fine but kissing.

Well, (promo spoilers)
the entire episode is around the Machine Gang tearing shit up to get her back, not even knowing if she's alive.

I bet she'll be alive, but crippled and so she'll be sent to do something overseas that will have to be important in disabling Samaritan.
I hope they take some alive option. Sadly her simply being dead is one too. Samaritan don't need her alive and they can bait Team Machine just by having uncertainty.

Going into my cartoon territory: how is the option of Samaritan assimilating her somehow into her new avatar? Just imagine Team Machine having to fight a Shaw that is modified by technology or drugs to be Samaritans avatar.

Going into my cartoon territory: how is the option of Samaritan assimilating her somehow into her new avatar? Just imagine Team Machine having to fight a Shaw that is modified by technology or drugs to be Samaritans avatar.

Too crazy, even for this show.

Here's my speculation for what happens next episode:

Martine and her associates are gunned down by Shaw's former Northern Lights allies that we met previously. That was the gunshot we heard. Subsequently, they take Shaw underground to protect her, and basically we get a spin-off Team Machine based on these three that are doing something or other offscreen to accommodate for Shahi's pregnancy. Twist is, Control is behind all of it, cause she'd rather have the Machine free to do its own thing than have Samaritan control all of human society.

Chariot

Too crazy, even for this show.

Here's my speculation for what happens next episode:

Martine and her associates are gunned down by Shaw's former Northern Lights allies that we met previously. That was the gunshot we heard. Subsequently, they take Shaw underground to protect her, and basically we get a spin-off Team Machine based on these three that are doing something or other offscreen to accommodate for Shahi's pregnancy. Twist is, Control is behind all of it, cause she'd rather have the Machine free to do its own thing than have Samaritan control all of human society.
Nice! That idea I can get behind with. It's also close to the Control Suicide Squad that I always wanted and makes more sense than that in this world :D

Sober

Shahi did say we would like to come back after her pregnancy. Given the timing (probably early on late in the summer when they started filming episodes), she'll probably be okay to go by the time the writers return for the next season in the summer anyway. But it kinda hinges on what happens next week and what they actually have in store for Shaw. They probably have planned what to do for the rest of the season without her being there for the most part already.

jrush64

Banned
No not
Shaw
. No JUST FUCKING NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY HER!!!! WHY HER!!!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_inline_mka9afXkvi1qz4rgp.gif

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Just watched this episode, Jesus fucking Christ. My heart sank the moment Shaw pushed Root away.. :(

ZenaxPure

I hope it is something like this because
Martine allowing her to live for some arbitrary reason would be lame. Up to this point in the show she has been willing to give 0 fucks when trying to kill Shaw hence starting a gun fight in the middle of a mall. Taking her hostage would be out of character, only acceptable reason for her to not kill Shaw would be if Samaritan wanted her alive for something.

Wiktor

Jesus Christ. How the hell do they manage to keep the show giving us episodes this good. This one was simply minblowing. From the quirky idea, to the great ammounts of humor, ending with real emotional punches. Not just Shaw's death. But I felt like the "Everyone who sees the world as a game of chess deserves to loose" was so incredibly powerful moment.

Also..I think Shaw might actually be alive.
They didn't show her dying and it would make for her to be kept alive for Samaritan to extract information from her.

Also..Fusco's kiss :D

There's one very good thing that will come out of Shaw's exit (temporary or not) - the return of Terminator Reese
672f391f19da4bafcbb04add28fb0685.jpg

You know he's coming...

Chariot

I think it's possible that Martine didn't want to shoot Shaw. After all she was aiming a while at her. There was no need to wait.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_nhs9y7kAiV1qhc9d1o9_400.gif

Tam earlier said "I swear if "No valid options" comes up....."

:|

Shit, you could see that the Machine was desperate looking for options to save Shaw, it was going crazy.

It certainly wasn't that fast when the group was trapped in the cafeteria.

Also, does anyone else finds creepy that the Machine can pretty much predict what a person is going to do or say?

Nobility

Banned
Shit, you could see that the Machine was desperate looking for options to save Shaw, it was going crazy.

Also, does anyone else finds creepy that the Machine can pretty much predict what a person is going to do or say?
100,000+ steps ahead. :(

Chariot

It was already working to an incredible high number when Root was asking her to help. Also if you know people you can to some degree predict what they will say or how they will react to something. The machine is just knowing people even better and is thus more accurate. Besides. We don't know if they really would've said that. It's likely but not a given.

What is bothering me more is that Carter's deatg is even weirder now. How was the machine so slow in recognizing Simmons masterplan of walking through the streets and shoot Carter in the open?

Lonestar

It was already working to an incredible high number when Root was asking her to help. Also if you know people you can to some degree predict what they will say or how they will react to something. The machine is just knowing people even better and is thus more accurate. Besides. We don't know if they really would've said that. It's likely but not a given.

What is bothering me more is that Carter's deatg is even weirder now. How was the machine so slow in recognizing Simmons masterplan of walking through the streets and shoot Carter in the open?

Couple things about Carter/Simmons.

1. It's still having to use SSN's, instead of having direct communication through Root.

2. Simmons might have kept a really low profile, possibly avoid security cameras.

3. He also might not have verbally spoken of his plans, so the machine had less information to go on.

4. The Machine does have a problem with "heat of the moment" crimes, because there's no breadcrumb trail leading towards the end.

Sarye

The machine is not running a simulation all the time, only when the situation calls for it as I assume it requires a lot of its resources to do so. Also, if you rewatch the episode of Carter's death, Simmons was supposedly in custody and all the threats have been eliminated. It wasn't until news of Simmons disappearance where you start to see the machine start to scramble and locate all of its assets. It couldn't "see" Simmons at the time so it likely couldn't predict what will happen until it was too late. (ie, phone ringing just before Carter was shot)

Lonestar

At least POI was up a good bit in the ratings. A jump of 31% over the last episode (which tied for series low...). 1.7 and 9.97 million viewers.

It won (or as CF fans/POI haters say, "tied") the time slot.

News Bot

Banned
4. The Machine does have a problem with "heat of the moment" crimes, because there's no breadcrumb trail leading towards the end.

This point is highlighted by Finch in the pilot. The Machine isn't effective at crimes of passion or heat of the moment, because they are not planned. The Machine is designed to detect and sift through planning, and so is mainly effective at detecting premeditated murder. It can't do much without a paper trail, and by the time it does detect heat of the moment murder, there's little time to do anything about it ---such as Carter.

Also..I think Shaw might actually be alive.
They didn't show her dying and it would make for her to be kept alive for Samaritan to extract information from her.
I think you're 100% correct. If there's one thing I learned from TV it's that if a character doesn't die on screen, they'll be back.

Chariot

Couple things about Carter/Simmons.

1. It's still having to use SSN's, instead of having direct communication through Root.

2. Simmons might have kept a really low profile, possibly avoid security cameras.

3. He also might not have verbally spoken of his plans, so the machine had less information to go on.

The machine is not running a simulation all the time, only when the situation calls for it as I assume it requires a lot of its resources to do so. Also, if you rewatch the episode of Carter's death, Simmons was supposedly in custody and all the threats have been eliminated. It wasn't until news of Simmons disappearance where you start to see the machine start to scramble and locate all of its assets. It couldn't "see" Simmons at the time so it likely couldn't predict what will happen until it was too late. (ie, phone ringing just before Carter was shot)
Yeah ok. Makes sense. Plus, down there was not that complicated since it was an isolated facility and everyone had a small number of people, opposed to calculate a whole city. I guess it didn't help that Harold made the machine feel equal for everyone which means that Carter was buried under some other homocides and other crimes.

Still, I would loved it more if Simmons would've waited in the shadows or in some bush instead of just strolling along the street in the open when people want to get him.

ZenaxPure

I feel like this conversation has sprang up a few times now in the thread and every time it's worth pointing out that after all the HR stuff cools down (John is arrested/Carter turns in Quinn) there is a scene where the machine is jumping from camera to camera scanning each one for Simmons and it can't find him anywhere.

Baskcm

my god is all i gotta say also i loved seeing through the machines eyes and how it thinks the writing on this show is top notch

B3N1

Man this episode.

First it seemed off. Like taking a computer so that only that can hack the system so that stocks are restored. I didn't quite get what they were doing with the camera either and what about the awkward elevator close/open scene?
Well, now I guess I know
The slow-mo seemed off too, but I let that pass.

At the
Harold death
I was legit shocked. I totally bought it and enjoyed the ride what came after. The Fusco kiss, the simulated conversations, I haven't enjoyed PoI like this since the last episodes of S01.

Shaw's death
still seemed pretty safe for me, I don't believe offscreen deaths, but
she
kind of got the 'silent clock'.

The only negative I found was this:

poie0ukn.gif

Such a long scene and the zero recoil absolutely killed it for me.

The Watch_Dogs wireframe city was cool though.

Lonestar

Man this episode.

First it seemed off. Like taking a computer so that only that can hack the system so that stocks are restored. I didn't quite get what they were doing with the camera either and what about the awkward elevator close/open scene?
Well, now I guess I know
The slow-mo seemed off too, but I let that pass.

At the
Harold death
I was legit shocked. I totally bought it and enjoyed the ride what came after. The Fusco kiss, the simulated conversations, I haven't enjoyed PoI like this since the last episodes of S01.

Shaw's death
still seemed pretty safe for me, I don't believe offscreen deaths, but
she
kind of got the 'silent clock'.

The only negative I found was this:

poie0ukn.gif

Such a long scene and the zero recoil absolutely killed it for me.

The Watch_Dogs wireframe city was cool though.

Made up for with the recoil in Shaw's slo mo. It's TV, they probably don't have time to set up a bunch of realistic prop guns with blanks.

Tamanon

Banned
About the promo:

It would make sense for Samaritan or Decima to either capture Shaw or to at least pretend she's alive. She's one of the only links to the others and one of the ways to draw them out. I think she's dead, and that's why Harold isn't with them. Because the Machine would be able to see if she was shot.

Woooow wtf they should have killed root's lame ass instead. So wack, didn't really like this episode that much. slow-mo sequence was cool tho

MartyStu

I refuse to believe that she is dead.

It is not denial. The writers of this show have no need to hold back punches, so the fact that we do not see her die is important enough to note.

I fully anticipate a Big Damn Heroes moment next season.

Again, not denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom