• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

in the end, not even the Machine could account for human emotions
Well, I don't know about that. The Machine didn't had the time to calculate that scenario to the end. It literally went "good enough", because it run out of time. In no scenario we saw it had calculate to them actually reaching the elevator because someone died before that, so it didn't take that into account. It was also surprised by Shaws arrival, given the jump in chance when she arrived.
I think the Machine is quite good at human emotions, if not she wouldn't be able to work very well in her function as crime and terror prevention.

darkwing

Well, I don't know about that. The Machine didn't had the time to calculate that scenario to the end. It literally went "good enough", because it run out of time. In no scenario we saw it had calculate to them actually reaching the elevator because someone died before that, so it didn't take that into account. It was also surprised by Shaws arrival, given the jump in chance when she arrived.
I think the Machine is quite good at human emotions, if not she wouldn't be able to work very well in her function as crime and terror prevention.

ahh yup, the Machine just ran out of time to calculate, I'd imagine Root will go on a rampage next episode lol

ahh yup, the Machine just ran out of time to calculate, I'd imagine Root will go on a rampage next episode lol
Well, there is the description for the next episode:
Control, who oversees the handling of relevant numbers for the government, begins to question the methods and intentions of the Samaritan program. Meanwhile, alarming news reports of a pair of vigilantes rampaging through the Northeast begin to surface.

Cafeman

Great episode. The first
what-if simulation
scenario really shocked me , with
Harold's death.
somebody make a GIF of where Shaw unexpectedly enters the scene, and the Machine's percentage of success starts to rapidly increase. I loved that part and LOL'd for quite a while , at least until .... gasp!

Ducarmel

I just caught up

wow

I thought it was going to be
Root
that goes out, but nice twist it was
Shaw
if
she
is really dead dead.

Wilsongt

Great episode. The first
what-if simulation
scenario really shocked me , with
Harold's death.
somebody make a GIF of where Shaw unexpectedly enters the scene, and the Machine's percentage of success starts to rapidly increase. I loved that part and LOL'd for quite a while , at least until .... gasp!

The second
what if
was the one that really hit me in the feels hard. It was terribly tragic.

Chariot

Blurb.

iWzrKybBXPhM5.gif

FracturedZero

Neo Member
Great episode...again. I thought this show was already great but this season has been at another level. Even a couple that seemed like they would be filler episodes such as the Fusco one and the fake cop were great.

I think they will leave it open in some way for her return. Just don't believe she is dead dead.

And it's disappointing in a way too. I was looking forward to her meeting up with Dominic again at some point now that she knows who he is.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
^^ Heh, that gif just reminds me that Lionel quietly owned this episode - he's at the top of his form with his casual goofiness. And Glitch Mob. Whoever the music producer for this show is, seems like my long lost twin or something.

But this is the second time now they've tried to sell a major love connection within the main cast at the last minute that really just falls flat. As much as they tried to telegraph it Root/Shaw doesn't come across as any more believable than Reese/Carter did, IMO.

Otherwise, good stuff.

ZenaxPure

As much as they tried to telegraph it Root/Shaw doesn't come across as any more believable than Reese/Carter did, IMO..

Ehhh, Root has clearly had a thing for Shaw for a pretty long time now, this is just the first time she chose to actually say it directly instead of her usual flirting. I'd say Shaw isn't into Root that much and the only reason she went in for the kiss was because she knew she was about to get full blown murdered, I mean hell she looked more frustrated than happy at doing it.

Sober

^^ Heh, that gif just reminds me that Lionel quietly owned this episode - he's at the top of his form with his casual goofiness. And Glitch Mob. Whoever the music producer for this show is, seems like my long lost twin or something.

But this is the second time now they've tried to sell a major love connection within the main cast at the last minute that really just falls flat. As much as they tried to telegraph it Root/Shaw doesn't come across as any more believable than Reese/Carter did, IMO.

Otherwise, good stuff.
Nolan and Plageman (the showrunners) are in charge of the music in POI.

Also yeah I dunno about you but Reese/Carter was not romantic at all.

The Reese/Carter thing was improvised by the actors. Which is why actors shouldn't be writers.

And the Shaw thing was to get Root in the damn elevator.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Ehhh, Root has clearly had a thing for Shaw for a pretty long time now, this is just the first time she chose to actually say it directly instead of her usual flirting.
I wouldn't exactly say it's been clear since Root's default character state is the same kind of condescending flirtation with everyone. Like I said, they do finally telegraph it in this episode, which is pretty cleverly done having the The Machine seemingly work it out through it's simulations. But it's still about as abrupt a revelation as Reese/Carter ended up being and not really done much more convincingly. On the one hand, I think the show does a great job in portraying the detached professionalism of these characters but otherwise has a difficult time in cracking open their more emotional states convincingly. Exception being Harold, who they seem to do the best job of portraying that dichotomy of detachment while still being emotionally charged.

\/\/\/ I'll grant you that they did manage to convey something a little more significant going on between Root and Shaw throughout the season, but nothing that conveyed anything as deap-seated as what they ultimately tried to sell (at least from Root's standpoint where she positively breaks down).

Chariot

I always thought that Root had genuinely something for Shaw. She is teasing most people, but nobody like Shaw. But I don't know the other way around. I think Shaw likes Root a lot, but not the way Root likes her. I think the kiss was both to keep Root in and some "what the hell, I am dead anyways, might as well".

It was clear as day to me (and all my friends watching this series) that Root had a thing for Shaw so I really wasn't surprised b how things played out, The Carter and Reese thing though..that was straight out of left field

ZenaxPure

I always thought that Root had genuinely something for Shaw. She is teasing most people, but nobody like Shaw. But I don't know the other way around. I think Shaw likes Root a lot, but not the way Root likes her. I think the kiss was both to keep Root in and some "what the hell, I am dead anyways, might as well".

Yeah Root wasn't exactly subtle. I mean comments like "nothing could make you look bad" and cleaning dirt off her face, not exactly things she was doing to other characters.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Root and Shaw was definitely more believable than John and Carter. The latter seemed more of a brotherly relation and the former had the truck scene.

jb2gMuMlb1HkoD.jpg

Chariot

Don't forget that one time when Root was taking Shaw on a trip. I think it was after Northern Lights was leaked and the programm shut down.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
And Root asking Harold to tell her "something Shaw probably knows already", Shaw being worried if Root got out of that hotel shootout alive.

And while Root does seem to flirt to almost everybody, I think she flirted with Shaw every time, more so than the other guys, and more directly.

Doorman

I think the most interesting thing out of this gif, for me, is the way the Machine shifts categories. Apparently 10% chance of survival is enough to get them out of red-status and into "normal?" While not something that I think will ever play into later episodes, it seems funny to me to feel like ten percent is "good enough" when it comes to keeping assets alive.

And yeah, Root/Shaw has definitely been telegraphed a lot more than John and Jos ever were. Even while neither has felt entirely natural, the thing with John and Carter felt so incredibly last-minute-hammed-in that it actually made me glad it never got to progress further. It felt so forced to me for that to happen at all. Shaw/Root, while still kind of unbelievable, is at least less-unbelievable since you can somewhat write it off as "they're both crazy" and Root has demonstrated strong ties to females in the past, even if only as a friend.

Wiktor

Btw. Person of Interest is now really running low on minorities. Only one left if Shaw is dead are the guys from the Brotherhood and the only dwcent one is Link probably.
Not that it's bothering ne too much, I like to look at white people, but it's a bit weird.

I don't think we can count Leon anymore.

That's an unfortunate side effect of adding varied support characters. Same thing happened on Hannibal, they added so many women there, which was awesome, but at the same time sooner or later supporting characters have to die in shows like this, so you're left with killing minorities/women.
With PoI I think Shaw isn't dead, but I have little doubt that from current line up the only ones to survive till the last episode will be Finch, Reese and Bear.

Chariot

I think the most interesting thing out of this gif, for me, is the way the Machine shifts categories. Apparently 10% chance of survival is enough to get them out of red-status and into "normal?" While not something that I think will ever play into later episodes, it seems funny to me to feel like ten percent is "good enough" when it comes to keeping assets alive.
Good thought.
I wish that we get some earlier machine footage with higher numbers for despair which decrease the more she works with Reese and the team who can turn some of the worst situations around.

No. A fun as Shaw is, she's no Reese.
I wish they would've pointed out her medical expertise more to different her from Reese instead of concentrating on the hammer part. I am sure Reese knows first aid and some tricks, but is pretty small against an actual doctor.
That's an unfortunate side effect of adding varied support characters. Same thing happened on Hannibal, they added so many women there, which was awesome, but at the same time sooner or later supporting characters have to die in shows like this, so you're left with killing minorities/women.
With PoI I think Shaw isn't dead, but I have little doubt that from current line up the only ones to survive till the last episode will be Finch, Reese and Bear.
I mean, that isn't even the problem in POI, since they can just put their support characters on the bank. But I kinda want them to have some more diversity in the main cast.

Wiktor

But I kinda want them to have some more diversity in the main cast.
I;m sure they will. They have done really well in this regard so far. So if Shaw is truly out I'm sure they will wait bit for everything to settle and then another minorit character will join the team.

Chariot

I;m sure they will. They have done really well in this regard so far. So if Shaw is truly out I'm sure they will wait bit for everything to settle and then another minorit character will join the team.
They could do that, but that would be like swapping the minority slot. They should've added someone or at least hinted at someone earlier.

Lyonaz

WTF man this show, this goddamn show.

Sooooooo goood.

So I guess they need another asset? They should get Nick E. Tarabay back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom