• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

She always looks hilariously off when handling a gun. The constant dialogue of referring to the machine as "her" or "she" got grating a bit but thankfully they toned that down recently

I always thought she'd work better as just a recurring character, not a fan of her being part of the main team tbh

poie0ukn.gif

Root is deaf in one ear, but how can either one of them hear anything at all after this?

Loved the episode. Really hated the ending: poor Root. :( With two badass females gone now, we're gonna need a cast replacement.

Woooow wtf they should have killed root's lame ass instead. So wack, didn't really like this episode that much. slow-mo sequence was cool tho

Root's my favorite character on television (partly because I'm in love with Amy Acker) so if they killed her off I'd be really, really pissed. Don't understand how anybody can't love her.

Root is deaf in one ear, but how can either one of them hear anything at all after this?

Root fixed her ear towards the end of season 3 if I remember correctly. So she was undeaf, but redeafed herself.

Apoc29

GIVE THIS SHOW ALL THE AWARDS

Every time I watch it I make noises I've never made before.

What an awesome way to make a Groundhog Day-type episode while being grounded in reality.

I love the Machine's take on Title of the Song during its "simplification" process.

I will NOT abide the deaths of any of the current cast. They're all too fucking valuable to the show and to my health!

Makareu

The Machine really makes Samaritan look dumb in comparison imo.

Yeah but The Machine has been learning and evolving for a while now (even with the daily memory wipe), while Samaritan is a new born.
At this point The machine has the better software, and Samiritan the better hardware.

Yeah but The Machine has been learning and evolving for a while now (even with the daily memory wipe), while Samaritan is a new born.
At this point The machine has the better software, and Samiritan the better hardware.

Even early machine seems alot smarter/more capable than Samaritan.

What year was the flashback with the machine able to view Finch off of a reflection on a pie glass in a store?

Chariot

I do think that this is some kind of nature vs nuture. Samaritan is the more inherit talented one because he has more and better servers, but he is lacking a teacher, a parent. Greer is a servant, not a father. In fact, his real father don't even know he is still alive. On the other hand Harold took a lot of time to teach the Machine in different things. Lot of it was moral, but as we see, this is no the only thing he teached her.

Makareu

Even early machine seems alot smarter/more capable than Samaritan.

What year was the flashback with the machine able to view Finch off of a reflection on a pie glass in a store?

That is true, and that is one problem I have with these flashbacks. Their purpose is more often than not to serve the episode they appeared rather than to develop a coherent backstory. When they can do both it is awesome though.

Matush

This show shits on pretty much every other mainstream/non-cable action TV series out there. Not sure why it's not more popular.

This show shits on pretty much every other mainstream/non-cable action TV series out there. Not sure why it's not more popular.

I think a big part of that is the fact that the story is serial -- although you don't have to start at the beginning, most people want to -- and then they get into S1 which starts off a little slow. With as much content as there is out there, anything that starts off slow is in danger of being dropped without being given a chance.

Notice how quickly new shows ramp up their action, or tear through their A story elements, these days?

Chariot

I think a big part of that is the fact that the story is serial -- although you don't have to start at the beginning, most people want to -- and then they get into S1 which starts off a little slow. With as much content as there is out there, anything that starts off slow is in danger of being dropped without being given a chance.

Notice how quickly new shows ramp up their action, or tear through their A story elements, these days?
It's still sad. Breaking Bad started of painfully slow too, imo even slower, my friends had to whip me through the first two seasons.

Oh god, this fucking show. THIS FUCKING SHOW.

So much suspense, so much action, so much fun, so much tears, so much good music. I can do anything else but be in awe episode for episode. The simulations were brutal, despite knowing that they were simulations. Roots dying call to Shaw was heartwrenching and the last scene just destroyed me. Holy shit.

Nontheless, the other deaths were tragic too and it was nice to see how much everyone cared for the others. Pretty awesome how far they came, since all of them had little empathy in the beginning (Fusco the most, but even he was a corrupt cop). Harold didn't just teach the machine how to care, he teached his friends.

The funny scenes were very well too and didn't disturb the serious ones. I loved the scenes were Fusco kisses Root just because and the meta talk. Saving the painting a great touch too.

At first I was bit angry that Harold stated that chess is too complicated for any computer, since it's actually not that complicated compared to for example go, after all human chess masters were beaten by computers, but go programs can barely scratch that level of experienced players, but it made sense for the values of the stones.

And now I really want a X-COM like Person of Interest game where saving and loading is part of the game and explained as the machine reevaluating options. Could be even with some kind of beta team, so people can actually die.

He's right though he was talking about solving chess, not playing at a high level. Chess isn't even close to being solved, which means computers still can and do lose (mostly to each other, but still). Though you're right Go is even more complex.

I loved the episode btw, I can't believe how much better this show has gotten since season 1.

Altairre

Hell I dropped it at first. Came back to it later and god damn was that the right decision. This episode though. Fuck.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
There is one positive result from this, at least to me. With Shaw out
(for who knows how long)
, there has to be more Root and Reese scenes.

With there being more scenes in the history of the show that had these 2 as adversaries (Season 1 and 2), they haven't had alot of 1-on-1 scenes since, as Root has mostly been paired off with Finch and Shaw (and the occasional Fusco nickname).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Come on guys it's 2015, the Internet age, surely we would know if Sarah was leaving the show? Shes probably just captured right? Pls? :(

Matush

Come on guys it's 2015, the Internet age, surely we would know if Sarah was leaving the show? Shes probably just captured right? Pls? :(
Well, currently she is pregnant, not sure for how long, but I think that's the reason of her leaving the show. I highly doubt that she is dead for real.

Yes she is.
thats why they killed her character. according to the interview about that episode. They decided to kill her character because they didn't want the character on hiatus for two years.
well the interview I read seemed to indicate that it wasn't a goodbye forever just a goodbye for now. She could be alive and they find some plot reason for her to be away and leave it open for either a recurring role, return back as a regular(seems highly unlikely) or not come back at all depending on what the writers and Sarah want to do.

I'm just curious if this means we will have a new character(s) come in to the fold or how the group will interact without Shaw. Maybe the show will spend further time fleshing out team Samaritan. Each character brings their own dynamics and history to the show. I'm just afraid it will feel as if we are missing something. While Carter's death trilogy was awesome and I loved Carter, her character largely was operating independent of the rest of the cast. The show was already moving in a different direction with Root and Shaw being in the fold and being in the know about the machine when Carter died. Perhaps Fusco will step up in importance in the show but that doesn't seem that exciting.

Also I was reading a review of this episode and they got me thinking of what chess piece each character is. I'd go with Root being the Queen, Harold the king, Reese being the knight, Shaw being the Rook, and Fusco being the pawn. That just leaves the bishop.

Lonestar

We don't know at all. Some took that last noise as a gunshot, but it could also be the elevator doors shutting.

My guess was, before they found out about the pregnancy, the plan was for this to be Root, and changed it because otherwise they'd be losing both characters.

My guess, if she's alive, is that she either gets put into a coma or wheelchair bound. She could also just be captured, but this doesn't seem like a thing Samaritan does.

My guess was, before they found out about the pregnancy, the plan was for this to be Root, and changed it because otherwise they'd be losing both characters.
They've known about this since week 2 of filming. It wasn't something they suddenly had to change in week 11.

Yes she is.
thats why they killed her character. according to the interview about that episode. They decided to kill her character because they didn't want the character on hiatus for two years.
You are replying to my old post from December when I was asking that question, because I noticed Sarah Shahi was looking pregnant in the previous episode and it was like a month before the announcement of her pregnancy.

lol, I was just quoting myself in that previous post to prove that I was right.

Lonestar

They've known about this since week 2 of filming. It wasn't something they suddenly had to change in week 11.

I'm talking about a general plan they have before the filming begins. They might not plan it out wholesale, but they have a general outline of the season, including having some sort of large mid-season trilogy. I believe that one way or another, the plan was to have a large Samaritan arc in the middle.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

That was a really good episode. Might be one of my favorites of the whole series.

GavinUK86

Wow, that was one hell of an episode. Definitely in my top three of all time. There's no way Shaw's dead, unless they actually do "kill" her off then when she eventually comes back we're all like WTF she isn't dead?!? Either way, they've purposely left the door open for Sarah to come back after giving birth and getting the twins settled according to the EW interview.

Even though it was obvious the deaths were part of a simulation and weren't going to stick, it was still pretty emotional to watch the actors/characters play out their demise. Root's face when Finch died! I thought I was going to drown in manly tears.

Cannot wait for next week!

This show just gets better and better every week. Luckily I've been with it since S01E01 and it's amazing to see what the shows blossomed into.

ramuh

This is is the second time the wife threatened to never watch this show with me again.

She told me why can't a main male character die this time?!

exYle

This is is the second time the wife threatened to never watch this show with me again.

She told me why can't a main male character die this time?!

I really, really wonder if they'd ever kill Finch or Reese.

Finch is incredibly unlikely, but Reese flitters in and out of relevance in the show...

Wiktor

Finch is incredibly unlikely, but Reese flitters in and out of relevance in the show...

Reese is too big. Too much of show depends on him and his charm. If he dies it will be in the last episode. The Reese/Finch duo are almost untouchable. So I;m worried about Fuco.

BBboy20

Made up for with the recoil in Shaw's slo mo. It's TV, they probably don't have time to set up a bunch of realistic prop guns with blanks.
Actually, it may have been for ear reasons.

Everyone in this episode just shoots over people's head. Pretty sure nearly everyone in the building would have suffered permanent ear injuries already.

Alive or dead, that was really one of the best endings of an episode ever. Seeing light flash as the elevator doors closed would have been super perfect.

Lonestar

I imagine he's about to become more involved.

Course, there was the small rumor of cutting some of Caviezel's stunt workload being the reason for introducing Shaw to the show.

This show loves to have it's main actors to do alot of their own stunts, or at least Sarah and Jim.

Chariot

Btw. Person of Interest is now really running low on minorities. Only one left if Shaw is dead are the guys from the Brotherhood and the only dwcent one is Link probably.
Not that it's bothering ne too much, I like to look at white people, but it's a bit weird.

I don't think we can count Leon anymore.

masud

Banned
This damn show. One thing that bugs me though, why do the decima agents call the machine the machine? You'd think they'd call it northern lights or something.

Chariot

This damn show. One thing that bugs me though, why do the decima agents call the machine the machine? You'd think they'd call it northern lights or something.
Wasn't that just an internal name of the government which actually refered to the whole operation, including every human involved. It was leaked to the public, but Decima obviously knew about the Machine longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom