• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it doesn't because he's a child...

First, accepting the improbable likelyhood there is a child genius that smart at such a young age, 1) Why would it ever listen to the Machine?; 2) It's a freakin kid! And by that I mean no matter how smart a child is they are still a child, meaning they would want to and would do child like things. It's dumb, plain and simple.
If the kid is smart enough to do what he can do, he is smart enough to realise the gravity of the situation and the helplessness of the situation he is in. If you crave attention or excitement enough to hack into a government server, he would be willing to do as he said told to basically be god by proxy.

If you have a problem with the idea of a child genius I don't know how you can suspend you disbelief enough to watch Poi.

foxtrot3d

Banned
If the kid is smart enough to do what he can do, he is smart enough to realize the gravity of the situation and the helplessness of the situation he is in. If you crave attention or excitement enough to hack into a government server, he would be willing to do as he said told to basically be god by proxy.

If you have a problem with the idea of a child genius I don't know how you can suspend you disbelief enough to watch Poi.

Yeah he wouldn't be that "smart," child geniuses do not have the mental capacity that adults do , they are still children. Thus, I don't see why he would do everything a machine in his ear tells him to, why not use the machine to get all the candy you want in the world? Or get all video games for free? Why does he care about geopolitical machinations and stock market finances? Root chooses to listen to the Machine because she believes it is a necessary force for good but even she is not willing to 100% listen to the machine without protest, afterall she's still human.

faridmon

Wouldn't the Machine know rather shaw is dead or not?

The machine doesn't know everything and certainly can't intake information where its been blindfolded. I take all the cameras inside the building was taken over by Samaritan and hence would not correctly estimate anything based on any probable calculation.

I went to swap my vote for POI to #1 for the GAF TV Show of the Year thread and found that it was locked.

Sorry, POI-Bros. I have failed this thread.

ppczxc.gif

jb1234

I'm *almost* caught up with the show. Just started season 4. Man, PoI has fantastic finales. I was on the edge of my seat for the season 3 one.

Chariot

The machine doesn't know everything and certainly can't intake information where its been blindfolded. I take all the cameras inside the building was taken over by Samaritan and hence would not correctly estimate anything based on any probable calculation.
But we saw just moment before that she had a camera with access there when she had no valid options. And I don't think Samaritan can just shut the Machine out. If he could to that, he would do it all the time. But he can't, that's one part why the Machine is so annoying to it.

Wouldn't the Machine know rather shaw is dead or not?
Good question actually. Maybe she does.

News Bot

Banned
Decima destroyed the cameras and/or footage. The gunshot at the end of If-Then-Else was likely Martine shooting the camera so even The Machine couldn't tell what Shaw's fate was.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You have no shame, NTGYK. No shame. Hannibal was your favorite series, right? Should start watching it, but I don't know if I can take that kind of cooking.

Also, POI won the timeslot again, and it was adjusted up. 1.7 with 10.16 million viewers

Fuck yeah! We're clear of the danger of cancellation, guys. For now.

I'm *almost* caught up with the show. Just started season 4. Man, PoI has fantastic finales. I was on the edge of my seat for the season 3 one.

I wish I could forget the series again just so I could experience it again.

Nobility

Banned
I wish I could forget the series again just so I could experience it again.
This. So much this. My mind has been blown too many times because of this show.

Firewall...

The Contingency...

Bad Code...

Dead Reckoning...

Relevance...

Zero Day...

God Mode...

Razgovor...

The Devil's Share...

Lethe...

Aletheia...

RAM...

Root Path (/)...

Death Benefit...

Beta...

Deus Ex Machina...

... ... ... pretty much all of S4.

Wow, typing these out made me realize how many high notes this show has given us so far.

I think we should start a campaign to keep this show on as long as we can.

#10SeasonsAndMovieTrilogy

Chariot

Nah, five seasons are enough, if that's what the vision of the writers is. No need to push it. Let it end when it's supposed to end and wait for new great materials of the writer staff.

Nobility

Banned
Nah, five seasons are enough, if that's what the vision of the writers is. No need to push it. Let it end when it's supposed to end and wait for new great materials of the writer staff.
What I really mean is I hope they last 6-7 seasons where they originally said they wanted to end it.

If something does happen in real life that raises the question of AI in the public's consciousness then I imagine the writers would want to pick up where they left off.

I would love to see a TV show that could accurately depict society in a AI-realized world as humans attempt to coexist.
Whether they succeed or become eradicated.

Yeah he wouldn't be that "smart," child geniuses do not have the mental capacity that adults do , they are still children. Thus, I don't see why he would do everything a machine in his ear tells him to, why not use the machine to get all the candy you want in the world? Or get all video games for free? Why does he care about geopolitical machinations and stock market finances? Root chooses to listen to the Machine because she believes it is a necessary force for good but even she is not willing to 100% listen to the machine without protest, afterall she's still human.

This.

The kid acting like HE IS the Samaritan is stupid.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
For all we know the kid could be autistic. Now, I don't want to defend the series blindly, it is a bit cheesy, but to be honest, it's quite hard to get a kid that young to act properly. They actually thought they were gonna have to get a teenager for the role.

Amy Acker seemed to have gotten it well when it spoke for the Machine in other episodes.

iamblades

The talk about the 'nuclear' virus(along with all the talk about chess strategy and Harold teaching the machine that humans aren't pieces to be sacrificed) made me think of another way this story might wrap up.

The machine sacrifices itself to take out Samaritan and save humanity

So how did everyone get into PoI?

I owe it mostly to my parents. They watched most of the first season when I was working. I had seen a few bits here and there but I thought it was mostly just another procedural like NCIS so I didn't pay a ton of attention. Then I stopped working on the nights PoI aired and they aired the S1 finale(I believe) which piqued my interest. I really liked Carter in that episode. The following week they aired the mid season finale of S2 and then reruns of the rest of S2 which snagged me into the series. My parents already had the show on record so I went through and watched as many reruns as I could until they returned in January at which point I was hooked.

Kansoku

I was following the Fringe page on facebook, and they posted about his new show J.J. Abrams would be involved in. Decided to check it and bam, loved it right away.

Chariot

I love superheroes and two couples I know recommended it independently to me. So I just tried it and since I had at that time two classes in one day with a 4 hour gap between them. So I was able to rush the first season and the few episodes the second season had. I was instantly amazed.

Sölf

I am not completely sure, but I think this guy here:

image.php

I think he recommended the show to me. Not sure when it was, either at the end of S2 or when S3 was starting. I do know that I watched the first 2 seasons from start to finish. I thought the beginning was a little slow, but after the Elias episode I was hooked. And it only got better from there on.

Chris1

I owe it mostly to my parents. They watched most of the first season when I was working. I had seen a few bits here and there but I thought it was mostly just another procedural like NCIS so I didn't pay a ton of attention. Then I stopped working on the nights PoI aired and they aired the S1 finale(I believe) which piqued my interest. I really liked Carter in that episode. The following week they aired the mid season finale of S2 and then reruns of the rest of S2 which snagged me into the series. My parents already had the show on record so I went through and watched as many reruns as I could until they returned in January at which point I was hooked.

Been watching since the beginning, the trailer looked decent so I tuned in expecting nothing more than an entertaining show to pass the time. Never did I expect it to get so good, though.

Man, I remember when the S1 finale ended and I could not believe it. It was incredible, one of the best season finales I had watched at the time and I said to myself "Wow, I doubt any future episode will top that".. Looking back, I don't think it even ranks in my top 5 episodes of POI any more.

Watched it since the beginning. Started out as a show I'd DVR and eventually get around to watching sometime later in the week. Stayed that way for about half the first season. By the end of the first season I was watching it mostly as it was airing(with a slight time delay to skip commercials).

ZenaxPure

Lost totally led me to POI, for fairly obvious reasons I am sure. But to elaborate I didn't start watching until season 2, I was going through what I would consider a bit of a personal tv drought (nothing really interested me that was on at the time outside a handful of shows) and the thing I always personally liked about Lost was the characters so I just went through imdb seeing what my favorite actors from the show had moved on to. POI was one of those shows so I started watching it, it seemed fun enough and I figured I'd check in with it every now and then... but then BAM ELIAS EPISODE and I am hooked. Shit gets crazier with the Root episode and then it never stopped being amazing from that point on.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
LOST and Michael Emerson, and the premise sounded like a strange version of Bruce Wayne/Batman. Also wondered how Emerson's character "knew who was in trouble" as that was presented as a mystery before the show aired.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
It sounded interesting, and I liked Michael Emerson on Lost. Been watching since day 1.

Yep, mostly Lost. Ben Linus and Jesus team up to fight crime with a somewhat cool premise? Sure I'll give it a shot. Then the 1x04 ending made me sit up and pay attention a bit more. And then 1x07 (Elias) totally sealed the deal.

Rankun

Neo Member

I picked it up mostly by accident. Was looking for new interesting shows and the premise sounded interesting. When I saw that Michael Emerson was in it, I was sold.

It's also one of the rare examples of a show which, at least up until now, got better and better with every season. I'm hoping they can keep that up for a few more seasons and than wrap it up nicely.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I got in because of the Nolan name really. Of course that's before I began to hate them... but I'm glad I didn't when the show first started at least.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I loved Fringe and since it was also produce by Abrams I gave it a shot.

Best decision ever.

I like you too. And I think it was the same reason I started watching PoI, although Abrams probably doesn't have anything to do with the show anymore.

Nobility

Banned
Started watching because of Nolan. Though back then he only wrote scripts, his body of work to that date was impressive (Memento, Dark Knight).

I never thought this show would be this engrossing; I never saw a remote possibility that it would eventually become my favourite show ever.

While I never cared for Lost, I know that Michael Emerson is a fantastic actor who did win an Emmy for his performance.

I have been a big fan of Jim Caviezel since he was in The Count of Monte Cristo and knowing what we know now, he is perfect for the role.

I took a chance to invest into this universe and, like the many people who post here in this thread, I don't regret it one bit.

It was most certainly the "Michael Emerson plays a mysterious dude" or whatever Season 1's tagline was. After seeing him in Lost, I was desperate to watch him on screen in another 'mysterious dude' roll. POI was kinda OK and I would watch it to pass time, but then the Elias episode arrived and the show morphed into the wonderful thing we have now.

I heard about it probably from watching Fringe and just keeping an ear out for new TV Series. When I heard J.J's name, I was interested, and then I heard Jonathan Nolan's name and then I was curious. Then I heard it was on CBS, which is...well, CBS has always been a network that I always considered for the elderly, but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, I watched the first couple of episodes of the show and liked it enough, but for some reason, I fell off from watching it. It took me a long while to get back into it...let's say around the time that S3 was starting up and I finally decided to start my marathon of it, going through S1 pretty quick and then easing through Season 2.

The thing that pushed me was sitting in on the POI panel for S3 at NY Comic Con, seeing the fan base and wondering who the hell Sarah Shahi was (I didn't get to Shaw's appearence in S2 at that time). So after that panel I caught up, managed to do it just before S3 started and now it's the one show I find myself trying to catch live instead of trying to watch my DVR. Also, I found this thread somehow while watching S3 and love lurking in here, hearing reactions and theories.

Whew...that was longer than I thought it was going to be. Hope it was adequate for my first post here.

I started watching this series based off a thread I read on gaf some time back with some dude asking if he was to watch this or Arrow and at the time I founded it interesting that at the time despite Gaf's overwhelming love for arrow most people were recommending POI over it so I said hmm let me chek this out and I loved it form the very first episode when it turned out the woman was the perpetrator and not the victim and it has just kept getting better since.

Btw is Fringe as good as this?

ZenaxPure

Btw is Fringe as good as this?

Personally I didn't think so but mainly because it never manages to fully escape the case of the week format like POI did (and the final season was so bad about that to the point where I couldn't bring myself to finish the show). If that structure doesn't bother you then it's probably fine. Personally there are a few plot points in the show that pissed me off immensely which lead to me not enjoying as much as other people.

Doesn't directly effect the quality of the show or anything but for special episodes that change the setting in one way or another (In spoilery ways I won't mention) they change the opening credit sequence of the show to match it. I love that kind of shit so much, I wish more shows would do it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Fringe might use monster of the week type of episodes, but the acting is top notch, and sometimes like PoI, when you least expect, it moves forward. Not to mention it's very well done, and up to S4 (not including it), it's freaking awesome.

S1's season finale is just as good as PoI first finale. It's just that fucking amazing. I suggest it. You might have to struggle through S4 (except perhaps the latter part and that one episode that you will love), but I thought S5 was great.

Watch it. You won't lose a thing. And I think it gets awesome even earlier than PoI. I also marathoned it A LOT. Plus the main theme is pretty damn good, I always got excited when it came on. I really gotta get the Blu-rays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom