• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobility

Banned
It still hasn't been renewed yet!? Be still my beating heart.

Has CBS started renewing any other shows?
No seasoned dramas (even NCIS which is 99.99% going to be renewed), only new ones from last year like Madam Secretary and NCIS: New Orleans.

While I am a little worried since POI was renewed by this time last year, since S5 means better chances of syndication money for Warner Bros., I am placing renewal chances at 90%.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
No seasoned dramas (even NCIS which is 99.99% going to be renewed), only new ones from last year like Madam Secretary and NCIS: New Orleans.

While I am a little worried since POI was renewed by this time last year, since S5 means better chances of syndication money for Warner Bros., I am placing renewal chances at 90%.

That makes me feel a bit better. I would hate for it not to get renewed. It is honestly the best thing on TV right now.

Apoc29

I wish they threw more curveballs; everything was a little too predictable this episode. The following were pretty obvious:

- Iris had feelings for Reese
- Root was the threat to Elizabeth
- Finch wasn't going to die
- Harper still had the real flash drive
- Root didn't actually destroy the thing (remains to be seen)

Frankie was a decent character, although not entirely refreshing as we've seen this kind of femme fatale a few times already throughout the series. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing her again, though.

Well, he still always knew what Reese and Shaw did in their times before joining up. He knew about Fusco.

All did some pretty heinous stuff before.

He even "treated" Root a bit more harshly in the beginning, up to committing her, and then locking her up in the library.

But like the other 3, has let her gain his trust enough to be let in, if only slightly.

Yeah, we were made to implicitly trust Reese and Shaw because: they were former government agents, Reese was obviously the main protagonist, and Shaw was slighted by her employers who we were told were "big bads". However, to say their backgrounds are morally grey is an understatement. I know the point was about Root, but hell, when we first meet Fusco, he's a corrupt grunt. We see him transform over the course of the show, but he was assigned to kill Reese in the very first episode. It's harder to see the similarities because Root started off as a pseudo-hitman, and let's face it she probably is the worst offender of the bunch, but it's not that far removed from what we know of the other characters. She also has her own past that shaped her in that way, though, as do the other characters. She's been an ally for some time now, even though Finch and the others didn't really acknowledge it until relatively recently.

Was just starting to watch the episode and had to pause.

How many fucking times are we going to have to see John chasing numbers belonging to elusive "mysterious" women? It's past ridiculous how often they've used this exact same plot device.

Step it the fuck up, POI.

On with the show...

I would be inclined to agree, but PoI generally gets the female characters right. I'm usually pretty wary of the femme fatale characters on any show, because they usually turn into a caricature or novelty as opposed to being real characters. Frankie and Harper are really dynamic characters though, and the episode really shows that.

Had to work and couldn't catch the episode, but I just saw it and... yeah, not where I was expecting it to go. They're still doing a pretty good job making the fight against Samaritan feel hopeless, because damn. Never expected the episode to just completely thwart Finch's plan.

The biggest takeaway from the episode is the Thornhill callback/revelation. I actually screamed. I guess the recruitment drive is real, and this is how they will beat Samaritan (still hoping for that Control suicide squad tho).

Oh and while reading the discussion over at the AV Club, this was posted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CA7A5-YWsAEi47C.jpg:large

It's the writer's whiteboard outline for this week's episode. Pretty neat. It potentially contains a MASSIVE SPOILER for future episodes, so be wary:
The story plan was that Root, as many suspected by the exchange in the last scene, does not actually destroy the activator. I'm assuming this detail has not changed and is canon.

Also found it interesting that they mention Harper's ring at this stage, but the reference is simply gone from the actual episode? Wonder what they're doing with that or if it's even important (will admit I actually forgot about it until I saw the pic).

Chaos17

I wish they threw more curveballs; everything was a little too predictable this episode. The following were pretty obvious:

- Iris had feelings for Reese
- Root was the threat to Elizabeth
- Finch wasn't going to die
- Harper still had the real flash drive
- Root didn't actually destroy the thing (remains to be seen)

Frankie was a decent character, although not entirely refreshing as we've seen this kind of femme fatale a few times already throughout the series. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing her again, though.

Yeah, they were really inspired on that one.
All the things they've build toward Elizabteh character with Finch were for nothing inthe end. No real twist.
I began to be nnoyed to see Finch machine being so powerless toward Samaritin.
He really gave her a tigh leash.

Had to work and couldn't catch the episode, but I just saw it and... yeah, not where I was expecting it to go. They're still doing a pretty good job making the fight against Samaritan feel hopeless, because damn. Never expected the episode to just completely thwart Finch's plan.

The biggest takeaway from the episode is the Thornhill callback/revelation. I actually screamed. I guess the recruitment drive is real, and this is how they will beat Samaritan (still hoping for that Control suicide squad tho).

Oh and while reading the discussion over at the AV Club, this was posted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CA7A5-YWsAEi47C.jpg:large

It's the writer's whiteboard outline for this week's episode. Pretty neat. It potentially contains a MASSIVE SPOILER for future episodes, so be wary:
The story plan was that Root, as many suspected by the exchange in the last scene, does not actually destroy the activator. I'm assuming this detail has not changed and is canon.

Also found it interesting that they mention Harper's ring at this stage, but the reference is simply gone from the actual episode? Wonder what they're doing with that or if it's even important (will admit I actually forgot about it until I saw the pic).

I'd consider these light spoilers since some of us predicted these things anyway.

I don't get what the "Can we save Zoe?" thing is referring to at the end. Also I suspect Harper is going to join the main cast next season because of the ring thing and her receiving orders from the Machine.

In regards to the Root thing, I suspected she didn't destroy it and my sister thought the same thing after watching the episode.

Finished S3 and am a few episodes into S4. Got to the episode where Root is in a gun fight with a Samaritan lady who is on the floor below her and was shooting the floor looking all goofy.

Ya know.... Dont get me wrong... I still really like this show but I dont know how to feel about how crazy its getting. I though earlier seasons had a good balance of the dumb stuff vrs raw small time crime stuff. Now its this giant global thing about AI's fighting and it feels like its a matter of time until we get to that predictable story where Samaritan deems humanity a danger to everything so it has to wipe it out completely.

On the plus side I think they are finally doing something with Elias which is nice because it seemed like they forgot he even existed and he only pops up now and again to be "hey remember me? OK bye!"

The whole 'root' part is the worst part of the show. I mean, her concept is awesome. Why did they make her so bizarrely unrealistic. Not that the show is realistic, but her bits strain the thin credibility we give it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The whole 'root' part is the worst part of the show. I mean, her concept is awesome. Why did they make her so bizarrely unrealistic. Not that the show is realistic, but her bits strain the thin credibility we give it.
It's basically when the show jumped from the cop conspiracy stuff to the techno thriller stuff... which, come to think of it, basically came with the death Carter. I was bummed at the time, and I think it sometimes still doesn't work, but I've gotten over it for the most part. I mean, how can you not have laugh at a scene where Root talks to a kid and they're supposed to be super computers talking to each other? lol

Why did they make her so bizarrely unrealistic. Not that the show is realistic, but her bits strain the thin credibility we give it.

Can you be a bit more specific about why you think she's unrealistic? Not that I'm necessarily saying she isn't, but I think there are more unrealistic elements on the show other than Root's character.

^You're definitely right

I think her scenes and character arcs are just the weirdest, goofiest bits to me. I think this happens mainly because she's used to propel the plot forward, which makes me associate the goofiness of the entire show with her character more specifically.

John's a goof, but a well-known cinema CIA badass goof that I had to get over in the first season in order to handle the show. In order to get to the interesting moral dilemmas, one had to put aside John's impeccable aim and improvisation.

With Root it's like another level of 'computer hacker turned right-arm of God/delusional AI-worshipper, lover, lesbian(?), turned impeccable aim with a firearm who gets to explain everything that's happening behind the scenes in all of her scenes'.

If anything, it's more the show's gotten so ridiculous it's painted itself in a corner. I'm fine with it, since the show's still got some interesting scenarios I'd love to see played out--and since I hope Jesus, Ben, and Fred get to play-act more.

Also note that this is the first season I'm watching weekly. It's probably a lot easier to complain when you don't watch the season in a week.

Frog-fu

Banned
I kind of stopped taking PoI too seriously when the whole kneecapping business started to become more noticably reckless and stupid. When it tackles the main overarching plot, the show is as compelling as any other, but generally I just treat it like a realistic superhero/spy action/drama.

^You're definitely right

I think her scenes and character arcs are just the weirdest, goofiest bits to me. I think this happens mainly because she's used to propel the plot forward, which makes me associate the goofiness of the entire show with her character more specifically.

John's a goof, but a well-known cinema CIA badass goof that I had to get over in the first season in order to handle the show. In order to get to the interesting moral dilemmas, one had to put aside John's impeccable aim and improvisation.

With Root it's like another level of 'computer hacker turned right-arm of God/delusional AI-worshipper, lover, lesbian(?), turned impeccable aim with a firearm who gets to explain everything that's happening behind the scenes in all of her scenes'.

If anything, it's more the show's gotten so ridiculous it's painted itself in a corner. I'm fine with it, since the show's still got some interesting scenarios I'd love to see played out--and since I hope Jesus, Ben, and Fred get to play-act more.

Also note that this is the first season I'm watching weekly. It's probably a lot easier to complain when you don't watch the season in a week.

I kind of agree, though. The show squeezes in some cheese in there every now and then, and that takes several different forms: the knee-capping, the basically superhero-like abilities, stuff like that. It does it in such a way that they play it off like an inside joke, and I think that's why it works. It's self-aware about it, so I think it deserves a pass in that respect.

If you really want to get to the
root
of the problem, though, we could start with all the action scenes in the first place. I mean, the show has some pretty great set-pieces and the action is really well-choreographed. However, it's so excessive. That whole thing is based on appealing to a larger audience, but I often times feel like the whole thing is at odds with the plot. When the plot of this show takes off, it really is something else; yet it's cerebral, and not at all reliant on gunfights. Sure, it makes sense given the context of who the heroes are fighting against and saving at times, but it almost feels like they didn't think as far ahead as these warring AIs. I completely understand that they didn't, as they probably couldn't given several different factors like whether the show would even make it past the first season; but that's where the seams are and I think it's important to recognize it. Once they realized they could start telling this incredibly engrossing and compelling tale, they were already in it with this superhero-like premise that they couldn't exactly back out of.

All that said, yes, Root is the least grounded character on the show; you have to go to great lengths to justify what her character does. For example, as far as we know, she was never very good with guns; she basically relies on the Machine to give her aim assist. To think that the Machine can help someone with barely any training use guns that well, it does take some suspension of disbelief. But, fortunately, that's probably the most irksome part of her character. As far as characterization, I think she's been a fun character, but also a very deep one. We may not have seen all of it, but she's come a long way since kidnapping Finch. While she may have started as a zealot, she's formed relationships and she's become more aware of her expanded role with respect to both the Machine and the Team. Most of that makes sense.

So, yeah, I'm totally fine with most of this. As you've said, I think I could watch these characters do things all day, even if it's just save the number stuff. It's really what makes the series what it is, even if the AI plot elevates it into true greatness.

Sober

Root was an assassin for hire in her past life, so I'm pretty sure using a gun at least somewhat proficiently is not out of the question.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't she always just contract other people to do the actual killing, though?

That one episode where she helps a janitor, she talks about how she killed several people in that number's previous company. She probably became more "elegant" in her jobs by trying to distance herself from the target to prevent anyone from tracking her down, but she definitely had to start somewhere.

Also, Root murders
Corwin
with a gun in the first episode she appears. As Juan29 just pointed out, this is a prominent part of her character arc.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
That one episode where she helps a janitor, she talks about how she killed several people in that number's previous company. She probably became more "elegant" in her jobs by trying to distance herself from the target to prevent anyone from tracking her down, but she definitely had to start somewhere.

Root outright got a guy gangland-style murdered before she reached puberty.

I didn't think this meant she murdered them directly, just that she was hired to do it and she did what she had hired people to carry it out. I think that could go either way. I got the impression that most of what she had done had been through proxies, like her first 'kill'.

Also, Root murders
Corwin
with a gun in the first episode she appears. As Juan29 just pointed out, this is a prominent part of her character arc.

More specifically, my disbelief in her gun skills were about her ability to dual-wield and knowledge of anything other than handguns, like ARs or SMGs. I never got the impression she was particularly well-trained with firearms from her earlier episodes, just that she was crafty and had some basic knowledge.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I totally forgot about her first victim.

I didn't think this meant she murdered them directly, just that she was hired to do it and she did what she had hired people to carry it out. I think that could go either way. I got the impression that most of what she had done had been through proxies, like her first 'kill'.

Pretty sure she meant herself when talking about this one case.

Unfortunately, I know what that spoiler is without clicking on it. I punched "Person of Interest" into Google earlier today just to grab an episode list or whatever (I was looking something up from last season) and the spoiler is plastered right there at the top of the page in news headlines.

I was specifically planning to ride out the rest of the season on a total blackout, no spoilers or hints or previews or anything, so I'm a little annoyed right now.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I went into Twitter and got spoiled as well. God damn you, David Slacker.

MartyStu

Unfortunately, I know what that spoiler is without clicking on it. I punched "Person of Interest" into Google earlier today just to grab an episode list or whatever (I was looking something up from last season) and the spoiler is plastered right there at the top of the page in news headlines.

I was specifically planning to ride out the rest of the season on a total blackout, no spoilers or hints or previews or anything, so I'm a little annoyed right now.

I thought that spoiler was shown in a preview?

Sober

New episode tonight!

"Search and Destroy"

Reese and Finch scramble to protect a software CEO when his behavior becomes increasingly erratic following a hacker attack that reveals all his secrets and unravels his life.

Also of note: If anyone is interested, some friends and I have set up an IRC channel to chat about POI. Come join us and we'll listen to all your crazy awesome theories!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea what this spoiler is, I'm thankful for my lack of looking up POI on the internet :p

I was just checking my Twitter and not even looking up for the PoI writers, but there it was, big picture and all.

It's really really really not that big of a deal, as far as spoilers go. It's not even really related to the main thrust of the story (probably).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, it's a spoiler without context, I don't even know why it's going to happen, would've been great to have that little surprise though. Now if they simply spoiled the ending of the season on Twitter, I'm gonna lose my shit.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
After seeing this hubbub about the 4/14 episode and its guest star, I figured 4/14 was the next episode date.

But what joy, there is a new episode tonight!

After seeing this hubbub about the 4/14 episode and its guest star, I figured 4/14 was the next episode date.

But what joy, there is a new episode tonight!

I was going to say I thought we were done with breaks till the end, but there's one more between April 14 and 28. Almost wish they had taken a long ass break after Ctrl-Alt-Del, then burned off all the episodes in one go like Good Wife did.

Jarrod38

Root's new hairstyle.
1Pjgxfn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom