• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
great episode, the build up to the finale is getting crazy. I don't know if I'll be able to handle it. Every single Samaritan episode I get this feeling that someone is going to die and that makes these episodes so exhausting, by then end when everyone is ok you are like "let me breathe now"

ZenaxPure

Damn what an episode, I love when Samaritan is being mysterious and planning something, it's near impossible to try and figure out what it is doing and it always scares me just to think about it.

Also the real heartbreak of this episode is that despite all the crazy stuff that happened in the end Team Machine failed. It was his own fault but Khan is dead, mission failed. Machine probably feels like shit and is not rocking out to some glitch mob right now.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I liked how John said that killing Martine wouldn't bring Shaw back. He's clearly past the revenge mindset we saw some episodes back.

VH14Paw.gif

Amazing episode all around, but Root was really shining in this. Loved her attack on the restaurant and her trying to get well again with Finch.

This is gonna get some use alright.

Samaritan and co better be absolutely done after this season, Im really tired of the whole thing at this point.
Great plot line dragging on for way too long.

I don't think Martine and Greer are going to make it through this season, but I have my doubts about Samaritan. Team Machine hasn't taken many steps towards bringing it down, really.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, the team is getting a lot of pieces for a great finale. Root doing something with the millionaire kid Finch helped, that device Harold made (which I'm sure Root has), the Machine contacting people through Thornhill, etc.

ZenaxPure

I don't think Martine and Greer are going to make it through this season, but I have my doubts about Samaritan. Team Machine hasn't taken many steps towards bringing it down, really.

I feel like Samaritan has mostly just been planting seeds as well. This entire season has been about it experimenting and setting up things, I don't see it ending this season but I do expect some sort of shake up and things only getting darker as Samaritan starts to take over more stuff.

To be honest, the team is getting a lot of pieces for a great finale. Root doing something with the millionaire kid Finch helped, that device Harold made (which I'm sure Root has), the Machine contacting people through Thornhill, etc.

None of these ideas or plots feel fully formed yet, though. I have my doubts this will be the demise of Samaritan.

I feel like Samaritan has mostly just been planting seeds as well. This entire season has been about it experimenting and setting up things, I don't see it ending this season but I do expect some sort of shake up and things only getting darker as Samaritan starts to take over more stuff.

Yeah, the other thing that stands out is that Samaritan hasn't done anything wholly concrete yet, either. The bio-chips are just kind of a tease; we don't know their purpose, even though we learned a bit more about them this last episode. There are still a bunch of smaller Samaritan plots that we don't even have a clue about, like what that guy Control killed was working on.

Gibbo

can i skip the last 2 episodes and jump into this week's one? Anything critical which happened in eps 17 and 18?

can i skip the last 2 episodes and jump into this week's one? Anything critical which happened in eps 17 and 18?

I think the number from episode 17 maybe be coming back in the future, but that's just a hunch of mine. Episode 18 is definitely not skippable.

Patryn

Some thoughts after watching last night:

Firstly, is it possible that the Machine was somehow able to hide itself in something in the case? Maybe some seed, to preserve itself?

Secondly, I'm starting to have dark thoughts that somehow Root is now working for Samaritan. Possibly even unaware she's doing so?

Since she went off the grid after Shaw "died", she's been acting a little... off. I dunno.

Thirdly, I'm starting to get a little annoyed that the team hasn't even really gotten a single win against Samaritan yet. The writers have to shine a little light on the total shitshow of the situation, don't they?

Fourthly, why the fuck hasn't this been renewed yet? And knowing that its future is totally up in the air sucks.

I editted this into my previous post, but I think it's more relevant as a response to the above.

On another note, cancellation bear predictions stepped PoI up to 'certain to be renewed' status. I know a few of us had some doubts, but this seems like solid news. Very happy.

On an off-topic note, I hope Good Wife survives for one more season. :(

Some thoughts after watching last night:

Firstly, is it possible that the Machine was somehow able to hide itself in something in the case? Maybe some seed, to preserve itself?

Secondly, I'm starting to have dark thoughts that somehow Root is now working for Samaritan. Possibly even unaware she's doing so?

Since she went off the grid after Shaw "died", she's been acting a little... off. I dunno.

Thirdly, I'm starting to get a little annoyed that the team hasn't even really gotten a single win against Samaritan yet. The writers have to shine a little light on the total shitshow of the situation, don't they?

Fourthly, why the fuck hasn't this been renewed yet? And knowing that its future is totally up in the air sucks.

First point, no idea. That's what the cliffhanger is about, it's supposedly "not on any network" - whatever the hell that means. Perhaps it's something to do with the case. Mysteries abound!

Second point, not sure if she's been acting off. But man, if she's been unwittingly working for Samaritan this entire time, my heart would break along with hers. I don't know how likely it is though, the Machine itself hasn't been making much direct communication with her in the first place (something they brushed on again in this episode); however, the catch with that is that since there hasn't been any direct contact, it opens Root up to being deceived. Samaritan probably wouldn't have led her/them to the site where they were running the antivirus software, though; seems highly counterproductive.

Third point, you are correct and that's just another reason why I'm feeling like we won't see the end of Samaritan this season. It's been a desperate uphill battle since their crushing defeat in season 3; the show has very impressively made that feeling known. I'm not annoyed at it, but it all seems pretty hopeless right now. The team's sacrifices thus far haven't amounted to much.

Fourth point, check out the link above. It's probably geting renewed in the coming month.

Chariot

Huh, they got some wins, it's just that they try to get punches in without getting a counter in the face. Thus their wins a rather small against the big entity, but they exist.

Hyun Sai

I honestly find this AI battle thing pretty boring now. Bring back some Elias / Brotherhood stuff. The first part of this season was great, this one, not so much.

I honestly find this AI battle thing pretty boring now. Bring back some Elias / Brotherhood stuff. The first part of this season was great, this one, not so much.

If it makes you feel better, Elias/Brotherhood probably isn't going to be wrapped up in the few episodes that are left; we'll be seeing more of them next season, at the very least.

danielcw

So far I seem to be the only one who did not like the episode that much.
Maybe I should give it a second chance.
I generally do not like scenes that happen without the protagonists, scnes that are only between guest characters, and this one had some bigger scenes like that in the beginning.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
1.3, tie for series low. Thanks basketball.

Not surprised, because I didn't even think it was coming on yesterday till about 3 hours before.

faridmon

Yeah, the series is kind of dragging the AI war right now. I really hope they know what they are doing with the finale, because so far, they are just going in circles (maybe establishing plot pints?)

So far I seem to be the only one who did not like the episode that much.
Maybe I should give it a second chance.
I generally do not like scenes that happen without the protagonists, scnes that are only between guest characters, and this one had some bigger scenes like that in the beginning.

No, I have to say I wasn't as smitten with it, either. It was a fantastic episode, don't get me wrong, but you've got a point. I felt like the reveal that Khan's demise was constructed by Samaritan was dragged out a bit too long; I could have used with less exposition. The parts following Team Machine "capturing" him were gold though, right up until the ending. But, that was somewhere around the 20 minute mark, so that's almost half the episode spent on red herrings.

Yeah, the series is kind of dragging the AI war right now. I really hope they know what they are doing with the finale, because so far, they are just going in circles (maybe establishing plot pints?)

I'm thinking the finale will be a definite win for Team Machine, but it won't be the end of Samaritan. More like the first big blow to Samaritan that turns the tide in their favor. All these scattered plot points, it's all pretty brilliant because each one is a piece of a larger plan, but I think that when it all comes together it won't amount to a true defeat for Samaritan.

I'm confident we'll see the death of Martine, and possibly Greer. I know Greer has always been the face of Samaritan, but he understands that Samaritan is bigger than him. His death would be a perfect way to punctuate that thought. At that point, Samaritan could tap new human agents to carry out its will. How long Samaritan lasts after that, I have no idea.

RS4-

Sucks that Khan died and I wonder whats up with the case Root brought in. Not the egg, but the case itself. Unless something was inside the egg.

Patryn

Fourth point, check out the link above. It's probably geting renewed in the coming month.

Sadly, I have little to no faith in the Cancellation Bear, who rountinely swears up and down shows are either going to be renewed right up until they're cancelled, or that shows are certain to be cancelled just before they're renewed.

Basically, they don't have the most stellar track record.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna be sad when Greer is gone, we haven't had the same development of Martine and the other guy. Also, didn't Greer have a boss in S2?

Doorman

I wasn't totally blown away with the episode, but I liked it for the most part. I will say I'm getting pretty tired of Root just happening to conveniently show up as a bail-out mechanic when the other main protagonists are stuck in an impossible situation. Even without the Machine regularly talking to her, she still comes off feeling kind of OP compared to the others.

I'm also hesitant that Samaritan will actually go down this season, if at all, largely because I'm not sure how they'd really be able to up the ante villain-wise from this point. Dominic and the Brotherhood vs. Elias is a fun plot, but the threat level definitely pales in comparison and Samaritan as an ever-present threat is hard to go back from and still keep everything tense.

I'm thinking the finale will be a definite win for Team Machine, but it won't be the end of Samaritan. More like the first big blow to Samaritan that turns the tide in their favor. All these scattered plot points, it's all pretty brilliant because each one is a piece of a larger plan, but I think that when it all comes together it won't amount to a true defeat for Samaritan.

I'm confident we'll see the death of Martine, and possibly Greer. I know Greer has always been the face of Samaritan, but he understands that Samaritan is bigger than him. His death would be a perfect way to punctuate that thought. At that point, Samaritan could tap new human agents to carry out its will. How long Samaritan lasts after that, I have no idea.
Like, say...
Shaw?

I'm gonna be sad when Greer is gone, we haven't had the same development of Martine and the other guy. Also, didn't Greer have a boss in S2?

I really hope they come back to that and reveal he has a boss, or at least a co-runner of the whole thing. Ages ago I noticed something on the Samaritan screen, can't remember exactly but it suggested there are two admins. Any other show I would say it meant nothing, but not here.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I wasn't totally blown away with the episode, but I liked it for the most part. I will say I'm getting pretty tired of Root just happening to conveniently show up as a bail-out mechanic when the other main protagonists are stuck in an impossible situation. Even without the Machine regularly talking to her, she still comes off feeling kind of OP compared to the others.

I'm also hesitant that Samaritan will actually go down this season, if at all, largely because I'm not sure how they'd really be able to up the ante villain-wise from this point. Dominic and the Brotherhood vs. Elias is a fun plot, but the threat level definitely pales in comparison and Samaritan as an ever-present threat is hard to go back from and still keep everything tense.

Like, say...
Shaw?

Here's an initial, crazy idea theory I had after last night:

Martine's hair color change just seemed way too odd to me. It stuck with, especially on the Root fight. Basically they looked identical in that fight. Same as if Root and Shaw would look like if fighting. Would part of any potential brainwashing involve changing Shaw's face to look like Martine? COLLUSION

Here's an initial, crazy idea theory I had after last night:

Martine's hair color change just seemed way too odd to me. It stuck with, especially on the Root fight. Basically they looked identical in that fight. Same as if Root and Shaw would look like if fighting. Would part of any potential brainwashing involve changing Shaw's face to look like Martine? COLLUSION

The fuck

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I like Samaritan as villain. Seeing Samaritan getting its 'hands' dirty trying to kill Khan by itself, was creepy as fuck stuff like destroying the dude's life in a matter of hours all the way to setting up and getting him to prison while sending messages to some thugs so they kill him, it was masterful. Also when it was trying to stop Reese from escaping with Khan. That's the kind of Samaritan I like, the omnipresent, all poweful, invisible hand that doesn't fuck around.

I'm guessing that Samaritan turns on Greer and Decima, and ends up getting rid of them. It's what the series has been alluding for awhile with the parallels of Finch and the early versions of the Machine.

Haha, knew you'd all be freaking out when I logged in today. That was an intense ride, and as Error said right above me, an amazing ep just to see Samaritan getting in on the action. I was freaking out the whole time. I have to imagine the show is only ramping up Samaritan as the ongoing villain at this point (no way do all of these loose threads resolve in three episodes; even this episode is still introducing new pieces, like the briefcase) so I'm looking forward to more of that, for sure.

I loved how this one tied back into earlier stuff like the stock market crash, and contextualized so much of what has happened so far as part of Samaritan's plan to hunt down the Machine. My prediction for S4 was that the Machine's location would be a major plot point again, so it was great to finally see what had been going on there. And that damn tease at the end, wow. Not on any networked device in the world? Are we still going with the prevailing theory that the Machine is everywhere now? How is it hiding from Samaritan?

Also, damn cool to see Zoe again, and only a few episodes later. It's a small bit but touches like that really made this episode feel like classic POI. "I know it's bad but it's not Zoe Morgan bad" made my whole night. Great line. In a season that, nearing the end, has proved hit or miss for me, I'd easily call this one of the best episodes.

My current top five for S4 as we approach the end:
1. If-Then-Else
2. Control Alt Delete
3. The Devil You Know
4. Search & Destroy
5. Prophets

Apoc29

Like, say...
Shaw?

I agree with these points. Samaritan really is the ultimate villain, and not something you can "resolve" without ending the series. Unless...the Machine is actually the final boss, which I can totally see happening.

In any event, I hope they at least lay the smackdown on that kid who Samaritan uses as its "voice" before the season is through.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I really hope the writers wrap the show up in season 5 because with these ratings there won't be a 6. I'm still dreading that there won't be a 5

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I read this was supposed to be on US netflix in 2015 but I don't see it. :(

faridmon

Oof, some big claims. I honestly think that the Machine is struggling. Its not telling anything to Root and the honesty of Finch is keeping them always chasing rather than advancing. They aren't recruiting anyone, because of obvious reasons, so I don't know how on earth are they gonna blow a major damage from. They are reluctant to do anything and the psychological effect Shaw's ''death'' had on them is just far too great.

I

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope the writers wrap the show up in season 5 because with these ratings there won't be a 6. I'm still dreading that there won't be a 5

But the 7 seasons plan... :(

The ratings man, fuck March Madness, it's not like the players get good things from that.

Sober

nah guys rhaknar is right the show is teetering on the precipe of not being renewed season four will be its last if not a extremely shortened season five, probably like 4 episode, tops

this is truly the darkest timeline, i mean lets consider it, community is still airing brand new episodes

nah guys rhaknar is right the show is teetering on the precipe of not being renewed season four will be its last if not a extremely shortened season five, probably like 4 episode, tops

this is truly the darkest timeline, i mean lets consider it, community is still airing brand new episodes

yQp0Rup.gif

danielcw

I read yesterday, that ads on CBS during PoI are more expensiove than the NCIS-spinoffs.
That makes me confident for a full season 5, despite yesterday's series low.

1.3, tie for series low. Thanks basketball.
The same thing happend to PoI ratings on Tuesday in Germany as well, because of "football".

I read yesterday, that ads on CBS during PoI are more expensiove than the NCIS-spinoffs.
That makes me confident for a full season 5, despite yesterday's series low.

The same thing happend to PoI ratings on Tuesday in Germany as well, because of "football".

More expensive ads are a good thing?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, because it means advertisers will pay more money to CBS.

I mean, every ad-spot on PoI is sold, right?

Probably.

And yeah, if Community is still alive, and Fringe survived Season 4, I'm sure we'll get to Season 7.

BokehKing

Banned
If it makes you feel better, Elias/Brotherhood probably isn't going to be wrapped up in the few episodes that are left; we'll be seeing more of them next season, at the very least.
Ugh... I want Dominic gone, now
If they kill off Elias in favor of Dominic I'll be pretty mad.

HR>The Brotherhood

faridmon

Ugh... I want Dominic gone, now
If they kill off Elias in favor of Dominic I'll be pretty mad.

HR>The Brotherhood

I agree. I was interested in when his reveal came about, but they seem to be dragging his storyline (along with everything else) at this point, and hence there is no tension when it comes to his wars with Ellias.

I like Ellias because his sarcastic tone about everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom