• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorman

......That was the end of the episode...and not even a promo for two weeks from now?! Motherfuckers, what the hell?!

I know they wouldn't actually do it, but that entire ending sequence, if this were a season finale it sure seems like he's dead. Goddamn this episode turned out to be more engrossing than I expected.

Patryn

Was this episode supposed to go earlier in the season? Between the Christmas song and the fact it takes place in winter, the placement feels odd.

Nobility

Banned
Was this episode supposed to go earlier in the season? Between the Christmas song and the fact it takes place in winter, the placement feels odd.
No, it seems right.

That being said, your point has raised something that I think will be raised by the season finale...

Either I am just going way over my head or the writers overlooked this fact (I don't think that's likely for something so methodically planned like this fantastic designed show).

Pure speculation below.

Has anyone noticed that in episode 6 - Pretenders, Elizabeth Bridges mentions at the end of the episode that she will meet Finch in a month in New York. That was in October...which means they met in November in episode 18 - Skip. Based on every season so far, the timeline matches our real day calendar.

...What happens from December to May...

...guys...pls halp...

Doorman

This episode needed more than one hour. Really miss her since her and Johns connection was great.

As someone that wasn't a big fan of the pseudo-romance that sprouted up during the final few episodes that Carter was in, I'm actually really glad about the "twist" this episode took in how she talked about their "connection" not actually being as strong as John was thinking. I feel better about that now and bringing the thought up that even with everything that the cast has all gone through over time, they do keep each other at arm's length over certain things, even if they have a general idea of each others' background now.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just got done with it.
Right in the heart. Hate that we have to wait two weeks now...
It's nice that she came back for this one episode. I know Empire is a MASSIVE hit right now so I didn't think she would ever return.

Two episodes left. Seeing the title of the final episode... hoo boy.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, think that was the 1st POI episode that I could really feel that "welling up" feelings. Most of the other heavy emotional stuff was shocking (Carter/Shaw).

Really feel that perhaps John finally might be coming to terms with who he really is.

Really liked the story of him and his crew finding the remains of a shootout, and that both sides each had pictures of loved ones with them, leading to him trying to delude himself into believing that perhaps he'd do better without any loved ones holding him back.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God damn, that ending, got me to cry a bit.
Actually gave him for dead. Specially since last episode he was trying to teach Finch how to use a gun.

"Would you stay with me for a little bit?"

Shit, that destroyed me.

Anyway, the episode is quite in line with what he talked with his psychologist, John never likes to talk to anyone about anything, it's actually quite surprising that he and Finch got this close. This is some good character development, I hope John realizes that he can't take on everything on his own.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, this is going to end up in my favorite episode list. While the case on itself wasn't big or epic (as it was important to show that John really is stubborn) it was a love letter to the characters and their relations. Plus it was one of the first times where we see the past through a characters eyes rather than the Machine's.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry but that title goes to The Flash. Anywho, decent episode tonight but nothing spectacular for me.

I mean its nice comicy kinda stuff? Other than that lol, no.

2 weeks till the next episode, right? Its gonna be a long wait.

SkyOdin

That really was one of the great PoI episodes. The directing and acting was spot on. I've been a little let down by a few episodes this season, but that episode is going straight to the "best of PoI" list. It was emotional, subtle, and powerful on several fronts.

It was also cool how that as soon as the Machine lost Reese, the episode stopped using all of the typical machine sequences for cutting between scenes. It even used a few cuts that haven't been used in the series up to this point, I think. Really added a lot to the dream-like and emotional character of the episode.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
just realized what was going on when the show first started. The gunshot sound, knowing that Carter was on, made me think the episode was starting off with a flashback of her shooting.

Instead, it's the moment when he shot the guy with the shovel, gets up and goes to the car, with the 1st visual scene being him in the car with Finch.

Also, nice callback to Finch's bathroom during a stakeout bit (forgot to bring your water bottle?)

Joss: Don't reach out to anyone. Shut everyone out.
John: Not everyone, I didn't shut you out. We had a connection. I could talk with you. About important things, about things that mattered.
Joss: But John, you never did.
John: What? Of course I did. That night, we were staking out the bar. We talked.
Joss: Yes, we talked. About music, our jobs.
John: But Jessica, I told you about her, about the rain, about how she liked sleeping in.
Joss: I wished we'd had that conversation. But we never did.

Man, that whole scene was just so good. Caviezel really sold all the desperation and regret.

Spike

I'm sorry but that title goes to The Flash. Anywho, decent episode tonight but nothing spectacular for me.

The Flash is great, and I love it, but

QcrFRGn.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's one of those weird things where in another other context, it would be a filler episode, but bringing back Carter makes it important. That said, with the season closing in, I have no idea how they're going to resolve the two big storylines.

Chariot

Oh my god, that episode was so good. And it would actually be interesting if John dies or is out of commision for a time. All this danger,; these government agents, machine prophets, soldiers and radical gangs and he dies to a rather random and weak killer due not being able to put trust upon others.

ZenaxPure

Not gonna lie I teared up and cried a little multiple times in the episode. Was not expecting something so emotionally destroying this close to the end of the season. Feel so sorry for Reese and his inability to let people in, realizing he can never do that with Carter now.

:*(

BokehKing

Banned
I'm so disappointed that this thread only has 2 pages for the latest episode. This is the best show on TV.

Telling you, it's because it's on at 10, Daredevil is out, I didn't even watch it yet, mostly because of a cross over episode of the flash was on and...

That show was super corny last night, sorry
But I made a mistake chosing that over POI on my dvr last night

foxtrot3d

Banned
Lolno. I love flash but come on.

The Flash is great, and I love it, but

QcrFRGn.gif

Flash is good fun but it can't dream to touch POI

Telling you, it's because it's on at 10, Daredevil is out, I didn't even watch it yet, mostly because of a cross over episode of the flash was on and...

That show was super corny last night, sorry
But I made a mistake chosing that over POI on my dvr last night

Sorry dudes, but it's the truth for me. POI has dropped considerably for me and is now my least anticipated show of the week. I'm constantly hyped for the next episode of The Flash, however, my interest in POI is more like "meh." Last night's episode felt like it was something that should have been done a while ago and wasn't particularly enlightening or groundbreaking, just cheap emotional pulls. Yes, yes, Reese is a loner who has trouble connecting with people. Why are we just now exploring this four seasons into the show? But, fine whatever I'll take a good character episode and yet the episode just felt so bland and straightforward to me. I also didn't think that cutting to Finch and co. helped at all, episode should have just stayed with Reese throughout.

But, that's just my two cents.

ZenaxPure

Man I haven't even watched Flash in months. Didn't hate it or anything but for me it is certainly something I will just binge watch down the road on Netflix, not keep up with each week.

This is a weird ass conversation.

damnit my satellite went out in the middle of the episode last night, so I just finished it now. Thanks Obama Samaritan.

Basically all the "feels" stuff has been retreaded already, so I guess I'll make some off-the-beaten-path observations.

What the hell was up with that monster-sized burrito Root was macking on? I need to get me one of those for lunch today...

I'm wondering if this episode was placed here for some specific reason. I'm not necessarily saying that Reese is going to die but... I'm not necessarily saying he's not? This seems like a closure episode. It felt like something they would have needed to get out of the way to close the book on the character, yet Reese is very obviously the second most important character on the cast, so I don't think that's going to be the case. Anyway, it was pretty cool of them to slow things down a bit. One thing I absolutely love about the creators is that, even though their execution may not always be 100%, their intent is usually full of potential that's mostly realized. This season alone is a great example - this "cold war" between the AIs, having to stick to a cover identity, what happens when that gets compromised, getting back down to brass tacks (just saving numbers after Shaw's disappearance), and now slowing things down so contemplate on what Reese has been through to get where he is. This episode was one of the not-so-perfect execution cases, but it was still damn good and really shows how great the characters on this show are.

Sorry dudes, but it's the truth for me. POI has dropped considerably for me and is now my least anticipated show of the week. I'm constantly hyped for the next episode of The Flash, however, my interest in POI is more like "meh." Last night's episode felt like it was something that should have been done a while ago and wasn't particularly enlightening or groundbreaking, just cheap emotional pulls. Yes, yes, Reese is a loner who has trouble connecting with people. Why are we just now exploring this four seasons into the show? But, fine whatever I'll take a good character episode and yet the episode just felt so bland and straightforward to me. I also didn't think that cutting to Finch and co. helped at all, episode should have just stayed with Reese throughout.

I'm sorry, but if you think Flash is the best show on TV, I think you need to reevaluate. Like, everything.
And I'm not saying PoI is either.

Doorman

Well, there is no guarantee that that car is from someone from the team.
The fact that they never showed who it was and the lack of an episode preview leads me to believe that it probably wasn't a team member. If any, the fact that they showed Finch and Root waiting in the tunnel means it would have had to be Fusco following a hunch.

Or Bear stole a car and is scent-tracking Reese.

Well, there is no guarantee that that car is from someone from the team.

Spoiler from PaleyFest:
Creators confirmed it was Fusco in the car.
For the sake of ambiguity, to be more thematically relevant, and because I'd like to think they're like a big happy family, I'd like to think it was Fusco, Root, and Finch. :)

Yeah you're right. Let's talk about bees for an hour.

Chariot

Yeah you're right. Let's talk about bees for an hour.
TRANSMIT - initiate animal signal - RECEIVE - initiate the Enochian frequency - WITNESS - initiate the Merovingian syntax - FIAP DE OIAD - crawling roots, heavy with sizzling sap, stab your skull - DOWNLOAD - holy communion - NO PURCHASE NECESSARY - your eyes and ears hemorrhage boiling joy - MAY BE TOO INTENSE FOR SOME VIEWERS - ecstatic agony, your molecules come undone - SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED - offer expires at the heat death of the universe - FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY - the dark days cometh, absolute zero, maximum entropy - ACT NOW! initiate the Agartha broadcast - TRANSMIT - open the 49 gates! - WITNESS! - The Buzzing.

Joss is one of my favorite characters on this show and I'm glad she was able to return. Those final 15 minutes really changed the episode for me.

damnit my satellite went out in the middle of the episode last night, so I just finished it now. Thanks Obama Samaritan.

Basically all the "feels" stuff has been retreaded already, so I guess I'll make some off-the-beaten-path observations.

What the hell was up with that monster-sized burrito Root was macking on? I need to get me one of those for lunch today...

I'm wondering if this episode was placed here for some specific reason. I'm not necessarily saying that Reese is going to die but... I'm not necessarily saying he's not? This seems like a closure episode. It felt like something they would have needed to get out of the way to close the book on the character, yet Reese is very obviously the second most important character on the cast, so I don't think that's going to be the case. Anyway, it was pretty cool of them to slow things down a bit. One thing I absolutely love about the creators is that, even though their execution may not always be 100%, their intent is usually full of potential that's mostly realized. This season alone is a great example - this "cold war" between the AIs, having to stick to a cover identity, what happens when that gets compromised, getting back down to brass tacks (just saving numbers after Shaw's disappearance), and now slowing things down so contemplate on what Reese has been through to get where he is. This episode was one of the not-so-perfect execution cases, but it was still damn good and really shows how great the characters on this show are.

I'm sorry, but if you think Flash is the best show on TV, I think you need to reevaluate. Like, everything.
And I'm not saying PoI is either.
I think they are setting up for Iris and John's relationship to develop more romantically. She keeps asking John to let her in and this episode seemed to be a bit relevatory to John that maybe he needs to stop keeping people at arms length.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously hope that this "revelation" John had does not apply only to Iris. I seriously would love if he talked about more stuff with Finch and Root. Specially Root, since they've barely had any significant interaction aside from the "killing her won't bring Shaw back" moment.

Also, has John ever had any moment similar to this after Jessica's death? Because I can't remember one time throughout the episode where I said "been there done that".

faridmon

You guys and emotions. I thought it was boring and, whilst I was glad to have Carter back for 1 episode, it just felt shoehorned moment, unless this points out to a massive personality development of Reese.

basik

I didnt realize the black chick was cookie from empire until someone mentioned it in this thread...doh. well atleast shes still got a good job.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You guys and emotions. I thought it was boring and, whilst I was glad to have Carter back for 1 episode, it just felt shoehorned moment, unless this points out to a massive personality development of Reese.

This is the one show where the writers and producers don't do stuff like this just for it to have no impact in the long run.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This episode did nothing for me :/

Then again I never really liked Carter so /shrug. And I was hoping for Fusco to save him so he would stop treating him shit, that shit was funny when Fusco was a bad guy but he's more than proven himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom