• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorman

Who do you think's gonna get Reese out of that jam?

Dat Fusco.

Who do you think's gonna get The Machine out of that jam?

DAT FUSCO

Yeah, which is why I'm hoping it doesn't also turn out to be "Which member of the main cast is gonna bite it in the season finale?"

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ah shit, I knew that the May 6th callout was another case of "matching real time"

But damn, I realize the next episode airs May 5th. That Cliffhanger possibility.

Also, wasn't there some reference to 5/4 with Elias/Dominic?

I wonder if there's a timejump in the episode, what with the Christmas/New Years songs in the last episode, and the heavy snow in this one.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ahh, looking back, it's basically implying that the day they are on, is may 4th (or perhaps now 5th), as the tube note was the address to that courthouse (where the brotherhood got attacked) as a hit address and time (on 5/4). So basically, in POI time, "The Correction" is within a day of happening.

PdmQt43.gif

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, if we thought S3 finale was shit getting real, this is shit getting too freaking real.

Amazing episode. First time we've seen the Machine talk like that, got chills.

Also, great to see John being more open with Fusco, saying he's a good friend. Pretty awesome.
INB4 John dies the next episode.

ZenaxPure

^ fake edit, yeah seeing the machine talk like that was kinda creepy to be honest. Especially it's tone, calling out Finch telling him that it does care about him. Really amazing scene, probably my favorite in the episode.

God, everything in this episode! Holy shit. There was not a boring second in the whole thing.

I knew Samaritan had something big planned, the real question is if it will go through or not. Kinda like I was saying before I think it would be a crime to kill off Samaritan in the season finale, this entire season has just been setup and experimentation for what it wants to do in the future. Honestly kind of reminds me of season 1 in a lot of ways, so much set up, especially with them introducing a new bad guy and all. The show could potentially take a really dark turn next week, part of me wants it to.

Oh also Elias getting Dominic to kill Link: sogood.gif

Is it weird the moment I saw this outfit my first thought was "I want a hobo Finch action figure."

Oh and of course, amazing reaction gif.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh also Elias getting Dominic to kill Link: sogood.gif

For a second I thought that Link was actually the mole, with the doubt he had after the men they lost in the explosion trying to kill Elias.

But man, to kill his best friend over a simple trap. God damn. Well deserved too.

ZenaxPure

For a second I thought that Link was actually the mole, with the doubt he had after the men they lost in the explosion trying to kill Elias.

But man, to kill his best friend over a simple trap. God damn. Well deserved too.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't see it coming, but, the way they've wrote Dominic it makes so much sense which is why I enjoy it so much. He is such an impulsive character who is full of himself and Elias knew that which is why he set up the trap. The "other way out" line from John followed by them running into Dominic as they went down it was fantastic - as if Dominic would actually find Elias' escape route if he wanted it truly hidden.

Fucking masterful plan on Elias' part.

Now I surrender..lol

Man I almost forgot about that.... This episode had so much going on, like jeez! Great moment.

Legit. Shook.

I was screaming this whole episode. What a rush.

I wasn't sure if anybody was going to die or not yet, or if the bodies weren't going to start piling up until the finale, but hey, look at that.

Totally called it on that Martine death, but damn, I wasn't even thinking about Link. Given how much this show loves its parallels between the Dominic and Samaritan plot lines, I should have seen that coming. I'm 1 for 2 so far, I guess. Time to revise the predictions.

Not sure how this changes my Control and Fusco choices. Like Doorman said, that foreshadowing was scary, but this is also a show that loves its misdirection, so hmmm. And with Control, damn... I wonder what she'll choose at this point. I feel like maybe there's a chance she becomes a Samaritan asset after all.

But overall, I think I'm going to stick with it. Looks like Lambert won't even be showing up for this party so put me down for Control and Fusco and either Dominic or Elias, or both, with Greer potentially if either Dominic or Elias make it out alive.

edit -

This is some Skynet shit,
the Samaritan agent was talking about some kinda purification of mankind..

It reminded me more of Hydra's plan in The Winter Soldier. Minus the giant airships raining death on the deviants.

edit 2 -

Aw fuck it,

Forget Greer. You guys were right. The Machine is going to die. :(

Holy fuck

Hooooooooooooooooooly fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Samaritan's gone full on SkyNet!
Shaw's been broken and brainwashed!
Control has no one to trust and is up against SkyNet!
Martine dead!
Elias' masterful plan to inflict his suffering on Dominic and make him look like a putz!
Fusco, noooooooooooooo, get out of trouble!
Harper, what the hell!?
Reese being appreciative of friends! I thought he was gonna say something like "At least I'd die alongside friends", cementing his friendship with Lionel and Elias.
The Machine sacrificing itself!?!??!?!?!?!?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AH THIS FUCKING EPISODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who do you think's gonna get Reese out of that jam?

Dat Fusco.

jf42P6f.gif

Who do you think's gonna get The Machine out of that jam?

DAT FUSCO

NcWb5uS.gif

So did Samaritan brain wash Shaw?

You're goddamn right.

I love how she is really committed to herself and herself alone. Doesn't care that Fusco is being tortured because she got some sweet $$$ but then the machine texts her and is like "$$$!" and she is ready to free him and run.

She could be the lead character in a Seinfeld/Always Sunny-esque sitcom about a sociopathic con woman.

I love how she is really committed to herself and herself alone. Doesn't care that Fusco is being tortured because she got some sweet $$$ but then the machine texts her and is like "$$$!" and she is ready to free him and run.

I'd have to watch it again, but I thought she was secretly on their side the whole time. She has been working for Thornhill since 4x18.

When she first appeared I was like "aw fuck this is exactly what I was afraid of" but then I remembered Thornhill and was like "hold on" and then she pulled that knife and I was like HARPER I LOVE YOU (KIND OF). It was perfect. This episode was a goddamn rollercoaster.

Sölf

How can this show continue to get better with each season? Oh god, I need next week now. And after that, we have to wait for S5. Gaaaaawd D: D: D:

Chariot

Finally calmed down and made a few gifs.

6TzVqYA.gif

7KpUJdS.gif

Rq9QSf5.gif

There are a lot more amazing things, but all the gifs that should come out of the episode probably would detonate the thread.

ZenaxPure

I'd have to watch it again, but I thought she was secretly on their side the whole time. She has been working for Thornhill since 4x18.

To be honest I feel like they haven't really made it clear who she works for other than herself, she has been getting texts from the machine for a while but her words were that the machine was paying her to do things, it wasn't out of the kindness of her heart or anything. My only grievance with her being in on it from the start is that Dominic said he hired her, not the other way around. If she was hired by the machine to go in as an ally it would have to been done right after Dominic hired her. That's not out of the realm of possibility (just depends on the timing of stuff) but I don't think it was really explained well.

More importantly tho ya'll, I re-watched the episode and after the whirlwind of craziness that happened I totally forgot about the opening 30 seconds of the show where Root walks into the subway and breaks a cast and pulls out a tiny microchip and puts it inside something... Setup for the season finale or the next season (like the Caleb scene)? Random ass scene? Funny they tossed a tiny thing like that into the episode and then immediately went to crazy town.

Blackage

It's interesting how Samaritan's world view and general coldness has trinkled down to all of it's operatives(Everyone is irrelevant?), while the opposite has happened with Team Machine and the Machine.

That was a stunning display of humanity from the machine imo to sacrifice itself for its friends, there was no play here or cold computer logic that it could see that would bring it victory, it simply said what it imagined its last words would be to Root/Harold and gave its location up to save their lives, touching really, and it doesn't even have a face to put that emotion too, just what the writers have shown us it has learned over 4 seasons.

Patryn

Prediction for the finale (pure spec, no spoilers):

The team fail. Samaritan kills the Machine, but the team manages to retreat. Everything looks dire, like they've already lost.

However...

The cliffhanger is that damn case.

Where the Machine has left a seed. Either the Machine itself or, more likely, a new AI. The Machine's child, basically.

And so while last season ended on the birth of the "Evil" AI Samaritan and our team losing all hope, this season ends with the birth of a new "Good" AI and the return of hope.

Chariot

The team fail. Samaritan kills the Machine, but the team manages to retreat. Everything looks dire, like they've already lost.

However...

Where the Machine has left a seed. Either the Machine itself or, more likely, a new AI. The Machine's child, basically.

And so while last season ended on the birth of the "Evil" AI Samaritan and our team losing all hope, this season ends with the birth of a new "Good" AI and the return of hope.
I'd like that.

After all Northern Light IS indeed inferiror to Samaritan, that absorbed all kinds of more modern AI's and the support of uncountable servers and genius programmers, while Harold's child is a bit old by now and was never really updated.

Would be cool to have Harold, Root and the three programmers from last season get together to forge the seed into something that can actually compete with Samaritan (in contrast to running what the Machine done).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Feels like they have no idea if they are being renewed so they are just wrapping up everything, which on one hand is good if it doesn't come back but it makes it feel rushed, something the show never felt like.

Also if they really character assassinated Shaw by making her break and give them up / turn I'm going to be pissed

Nobility

Banned
I honestly think they have been renewed and the only reason why they have not confirmed yet is to build suspense for the finale.

If half the things I have heard come true, this should be the biggest finale yet with each scene vital for S5.

JUST RENEW IT ALREADY CBS

To be honest I feel like they haven't really made it clear who she works for other than herself, she has been getting texts from the machine for a while but her words were that the machine was paying her to do things, it wasn't out of the kindness of her heart or anything. My only grievance with her being in on it from the start is that Dominic said he hired her, not the other way around. If she was hired by the machine to go in as an ally it would have to been done right after Dominic hired her. That's not out of the realm of possibility (just depends on the timing of stuff) but I don't think it was really explained well.

That's true. The show has always flirted with Harper's potential for betrayal (tricking Reese in Skip, and even having Dominic reach out to her in Blunt) so this scenario had been foreshadowed, and it's most likely that Dominic hired her as he said; but the Machine would have known this, and made that counter offer. Money is still the stated motivation and Harper is always playing at least two sides, with her own interests ultimately in mind; that has been true for every episode with her, including tonight. But I thought there was also genuine concern on Harper's face for Fusco, and I think the show is setting up Harper as a new recurring ally for S5 (she sure seems to enjoy working for Thornhill, and while she is a rogue character the show has also made the point that she has a good heart; she cared about what happened to her "boyfriend" and she also seemed to like Finch).

So the correction, that the handler was talking about, is eliminating the machine correct? Samaritan plotted this trap knowing well that it would get the machine's location.

However...

I love this idea!
I'm curious if the app that Root created ties into this somehow.

Also if they really character assassinated Shaw by making her break and give them up / turn I'm going to be pissed
I suspect they used the brain implants, that Samaritan was experimenting with in Maple, on Shaw.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Feels like they have no idea if they are being renewed so they are just wrapping up everything, which on one hand is good if it doesn't come back but it makes it feel rushed, something the show never felt like.

I'm not sure if one can last two months of physical and mental breakdowns. Specially the latter.

One can endure the pain, but to know that the ones who cared for one have given up means all hope is lost. I can't blame Shaw if she talked and cooperated, yes even if she's a sociopath, I feel like she thought she home with the team, and only cared for them, which probably broke her down when she lost them.

Apoc29

The Brotherhood trying to break Reese and Fusco was laughable...those guys have been through some shit.

I really respect the show's portrayal of women. In this episode, we've had one woman interrogating and executing another woman and another pair of women beating on each other and one snapping the other's neck; these are very rare occurrences in media and the cool thing is that it seems so natural in this show that I didn't think twice about it until after it was all said and done. No exploitation, just characters playing their part and playing them well.

faridmon

OMG what an episode. I honestly can't breath after finally watching it.

- Greer sating ''Everyone is irrelevant'' gave me the chills.
- Shaw being alive made me happy, and then I thought back on how much she had to suffer to give out the information
- Machine being... Humane? I did not see this coming.
- Elias V Dominic was great.
- Fucking loved seeing Control finally understanding what's going on. Hope she joins team machine.
- Reese becoming more appreciative. Loved his interchanger with Fusco at the start and with Elias later.
- I honestly hated how root just fell into the trap like that. I understand that she was fuelled by emotions, the second she heard about
- I think Samaritan is underestimating the Machine, because I think it knows what its doing. It probably calculated the probability of something like this happening.
- The finale will be amazing.

I really respect the show's portrayal of women. In this episode, we've had one woman interrogating and executing another woman and another pair of women beating on each other and one snapping the other's neck; these are very rare occurrences in media and the cool thing is that it seems so natural in this show that I didn't think twice about it until after it was all said and done. No exploitation, just characters playing their part and playing them well.

Yeah, I watch shows such a Daredevil and just shake my head how they present the women in that show. Annoying and full of illogical actions. Not to mention meek and weak. This, we have some powerful ladies doing things that even men sometimes appreciate. I really like the fact how motherhood is presented when Control was interrogating that lady as it was just full o various perspectives (taking adventurous of the mother nature, thinking of their kids, while doing what they are doing because they are mothers)

ZenaxPure

I suspect they used the brain implants, that Samaritan was experimenting with in Maple, on Shaw.

I wonder, it wasn't really clear what the heck Samaritan was doing with those things and it would be interesting to know more. Even if there isn't weird implants involved though Shaw was stuck in there for like 4 or 5 months, was a lot of time to be tortured to the point where you are mentally broken down.

The Brotherhood trying to break Reese and Fusco was laughable...those guys have been through some shit.

I enjoy Fusco asking for a loofah when he came out. Was giving me really great flashbacks to his strangleface in season 3. Fusco is such a badass when he is being tortured. Seriously, the face in water was some casual shit after everything he has been through.

I will say though Reese getting the screwdriver in his gunshot wound made me really uncomfortable, just the way he was shaking. God not to mention Root walking blindly on that ledge at the start of the episode, that scene was hard to watch especially with her looking like she was about to roll her ankle every step in those boots.

I agree that PoI is one show among few that manages to excel at portraying women (or, hell, at the very least doesn't just make them annoying and unrealistic), but I think it has very little to do with neck-snapping or interrogations. lol They're just well characterized. Even in the few moments/scenes we've seen Control or Harper in the past, we've gotten such a complete portrait of who those characters are. Root would have been well characterized whether she was out kneecapping thugs or remained in a support role like Harold. That's just the kind of show this is.

Patryn

So the correction, that the handler was talking about, is eliminating the machine correct? Samaritan plotted this trap knowing well that it would get the machine's location.

I don't think so. I'm expecting it'll likely be some event designed to cause the government to hand even more power to Samaritan. Remember that Samaritan has been infiltrating the White House.

It's clearly wanting to stage a coup d'etat and take over ruling the nation, and later the world.

Given the context, it could be one of a couple of things. The episode deals a lot with exposition on brain washing, so it's possible that they're talking about a mass brain washing. However, the specific conversation that mentions the Correction has the Samaritan agent mention the ferry bombing, so it's likelier something to do with some event that will cause the government to surrender more power to Decima.

Asbel

I feel that call from Shaw would of been more intriguing if the audience didn't know for sure if Shaw was still alive. Not bad as is though.
Also, how did Finch see without his glasses?

Chariot

I feel that call from Shaw would of been more intriguing if the audience didn't know for sure if Shaw was still alive. Not bad as is though.
Also, how did Finch see without his glasses?
awasn't it established in the Identity Snatcher episode that those are fake?

ZenaxPure

awasn't it established in the Identity Snatcher episode that those are fake?

Nah they are real, if you recall when Root kidnaps him at the end of season 2 she breaks his glasses. They then steal a pair from some random guy after the machine tells her his prescription.

That said it's never really been established what his vision is like I don't think. I mean it's not like you're completely blind when you have glasses lol, I've been wearing glasses for like 10 years now and I can function in everyday life without them I just can't read average sized text that is like 5+ feet away. Maybe Finch isn't that bad off, all he really did was walk around and talk to some people.

Chariot

I listened again to the monologue of the "schoolteacher" and had a thought.

Go home to your loved ones, hold your daughter tight. Because a new day is dawning. And those who impute progress, the disruptive, the aberrant, will be systematically purged from our society. There will be no mercy, no stay of execution. For some this will be the end. But for others... a rebirth. A second chance to live the life they were designed for. Every life given a purpose. Samaritan will build a new world... a better world.

It will purge the criminals and give everyone a purpose. That actually reminds me of Psycho-Pass. A series where people's lives are predestined by the Sybill System, "something" that controls and protects society. People are judged by the system and get the jobs they will be probably the best at, the police got guns that tell them if the victim is to be killed, stunned or not targetable at all, according to a criminal coeffficent calculated by the Sybill System. Thus people are judged and executed for crimes before they can actually do them and there is even a child that is put into prison because it probably would've grown into a menace for society.

Would be interesting if the next season would go into that direction.

--
Nah they are real, if you recall when Root kidnaps him at the end of season 2 she breaks his glasses. They then steal a pair from some random guy after the machine tells her his prescription.

That said it's never really been established what his vision is like I don't think. I mean it's not like you're completely blind when you have glasses lol, I've been wearing glasses for like 10 years now and I can function in everyday life without them I just can't read average sized text that is like 5+ feet away. Maybe Finch isn't that bad off, all he really did was walk around and talk to some people.
Right, I stand corrected. Looks like the killer was just ok with the strength.

Qw97jjk.jpg

I wonder if one could guess the strength by how much his face is broken by the glasses. Amazing attention to detail once again though.

CSJ

Don't know if it's been said but I'm pretty sure the machine is simply going to lie, I think it's had more time to evolve/advance and it's already been shown you can bargain with it.

Maybe the opposing machine simply thinks that can't happen, that they deal in absolute truths even with evil. (seriously for the life of me I can't even remember the name anymore, I can't even google it, my mind is fucked).

Chariot

Don't know if it's been said but I'm pretty sure the machine is simply going to lie, I think it's had more time to evolve/advance and it's already been shown you can bargain with it.

Maybe the opposing machine simply thinks that can't happen, that they deal in absolute truths even with evil. (seriously for the life of me I can't even remember the name anymore, I can't even google it, my mind is fucked).
That would be super lame.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It all depends on the presentation of that idea.

Verger

Banned
Finally caught up. So Martine really was a chump, all talk, and useless without her Samaritan aid (got beat by Root again). Fitting end for her.

What a final last 10 minute. So many paths coming to a head. Elias still manages to outwit Dominic and get him to kill his right-hand man. Perfect revenge to get him to kill Link for killing Anthony.

And then the Samaritan lady dropping the act and becoming creepy. As well as the Machine offering its surrender.

Next week looks to be insane. Can't wait to see how it ends.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
LMAO, I thought the same thing.
We're hacking all of the interwebs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom