• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonicbug

I dunno. I remain hopeful that the show finally hitting Netflix will bring in new viewers, or at least halt the atrophy. I really think the lack of a streaming option and the highly serialized meta-narrative have not made it easy for newbies to tune in. Most reviewers didn't start singing the show's praises until season 3 and by that point it was tough to convince my friends to check it out because 'where am I supposed to watch it?'

I do my part lending out my blu-ray sets... but I'm just one girl!

Nobility

Banned

NO DAMMIT NOOOOOOOO!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Fw0eE1r.gif

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Well, at least it got renewed. Assuming this is the end, hopefully they can go out in a reasonably good fashion using the 13 episodes.

exYle

13 episode final season is great. Make it laser focused, cut down on the procedural stuff, and finish off Samaritan for good. There's no antagonist they could have after Samaritan that wouldn't feel like re-treading the same ground or a conceited 'escalation'.

Chariot

13 episode final season is great. Make it laser focused, cut down on the procedural stuff, and finish off Samaritan for good. There's no antagonist they could have after Samaritan that wouldn't feel like re-treading the same ground or a conceited 'escalation'.
Aliens. Demons. AIs from the future. The french.

13 episodes does not mean auto cancellation after it finishes

13 epsiodes worked for a lot of of other shows - Netflix, AMC...

The writers know they are working with 13 episodes and can write to accommodate that

Interesting stuff can develop quicker - better pacing.

I am not annoyed by this

13 episodes does not mean auto cancellation after it finishes

13 epsiodes worked for a lot of of other shows - Netflix, AMC...

The writers know they are working with 13 episodes and can write to accommodate that

Interesting stuff can develop quicker - better pacing.

I am not annoyed by this

I feel like a shortened season is fine since the writers know the length, however I think in this case it's a precursor for it being the final season. It also means it's less than likely Shaw will return at all.

22 episodes is overkill anyway, and I firmly believe it is an archaic way of telling a story on TV. It works only when TV shows are procedurals, as then you can pump out as many episodes as you want.

Once a story arc is involved, 13-16 episodes is the ideal, it give the show time to breath, but not extend to far to become tedious.

I would argue that even though POI was great in Seasons 1-3 (and good in S4), it could have been better with a 13 - 16 episode seasons over it whole run.

13 episodes is a full 8 hours of storytelling, and great stuff can happen in that timeframe.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm still in season 1, but I really have no sympathy for a show that gets 5 seasons and a known end date ahead of time, much less over 100 episodes. Like, that's fucking awesome.

I'm still in season 1, but I really have no sympathy for a show that gets 5 seasons and a known end date ahead of time, much less over 100 episodes. Like, that's fucking awesome.

If they use these thirteen episodes to craft a satisfying finale for this show, I'll be happy. If they're gonna get two thirteen episode seasons, and craft a satisfying ending, I will also be happy.

I just want a great finale. I love this show so much.

ivysaur12

Banned
If they use these thirteen episodes to craft a satisfying finale for this show, I'll be happy. If they're gonna get two thirteen episode seasons, and craft a satisfying ending, I will also be happy.

I just want a great finale. I love this show so much.

Given the CBS of it all, I would expect this to be it.

13 episodes is fine, since like Keyser said, no chance for filler. Just full on balls to the wall main plot episodes and a great (hoping) conclusion. The biggest thing though is the writers NEED to know if this is going to be the final season or not.

The show getting picked up somewhere else isn't a thing that's going to happen a) realistically, or b) anytime soon, and I'd rather they not approach this upcoming season with that kind of ambiguity floating over them.

Patryn

Definitely feels like a final season order and gesture of good will from CBS.

The writers really need to treat it as this is it.

5 seasons is an extremely respectable run. And, honestly, most shows really run out of steam after 5 seasons.

Let's be happy with what we got.

ZenaxPure

13 episodes is fine, since like Keyser said, no chance for filler. Just full on balls to the wall main plot episodes and a great (hoping) conclusion. The biggest thing though is the writers NEED to know if this is going to be the final season or not.

The show getting picked up somewhere else isn't a thing that's going to happen a) realistically, or b) anytime soon, and I'd rather they not approach this upcoming season with that kind of ambiguity floating over them.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The key thing is knowing if this is the end or not. I do not want a cliffhanger of an ending. Frankly I want finality.

Wish-listing though I want Finch and Reese to die in the final episode, have been hoping this since the first episode.

Nobility

Banned
I have no choice but to accept this.

No choice but a 13 episode, completely serialized tale from beginning to end.

Go hard writers. ;_;

Then start the movie trilogy!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Dear CBS,

giphy.gif

Sincerely,

Me

It'll be 103 episodes. Let's not turn into Community fans here now.

Let me grief, dammit.

But yeah, if they give it two more, 13 episodes seasons, I'll be happy. I guess it just hurts to know it's gonna end.

But hey, at least we know it won't die with a prolonged death, with the series getting senseless seasons of nothing, character assassinating everyone.

It's more than I could ever ask, really. Was one of my fears, really. This is for the best guys.

Step 5: Acceptance.

(And hey, Community fans got an extra season with their insistence! But that would probably be a bad idea for a series like POI)

What does a 13 episode season mean for MachineRobot though?

Dear CBS,

giphy.gif

Sincerely,

Me

Let me grief, dammit.

But yeah, if they give it two more, 13 episodes seasons, I'll be happy. I guess it just hurts to know it's gonna end.

But hey, at least we know it won't die with a prolonged death, with the series getting senseless seasons of nothing, character assassinating everyone.

It's more than I could ever ask, really. Was one of my fears, really. This is for the best guys.

You know, after Carnivale, I'm just happy when shows I enjoy get to have an ending.

ivysaur12

Banned
Dear CBS,

giphy.gif

Sincerely,

Me

Let me grief, dammit.

There is really no world in which it would get another season after this one. CBS doesn't really do that.

Sonicbug

Wish-listing though I want Finch and Reese to die in the final episode, have been hoping this since the first episode.

Well, the creators seem dead set on making that happen as much as I wish that wasn't the end game. I don't see a happy ending for anyone... except maybe Fusco ironically.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There is really no world in which it would get another season after this one. CBS doesn't really do that.

Oh, must have misread your reply to NTGYK, then.

Well, it's for the best anyway, we're not getting a bigger threat than the current one.

On the possible ending:
I'm absolutely sure John is dying. Like, Nolan and Plageman don't even hide it lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Goddammit, the same thing happened with Fringe.

Damn, my grieving process with Fringe was harder than this one, since that was the first series I dedicated myself to. I think that Fringe's Season 4 being kind of bad also contributed to that feeling, hoping that they wouldn't end on such a note (specially after Letters of Transit, it would have been a big middle finger after seeing something so awesome).

EDIT: But yeah, what ivy said. It was better than just being cancelled outright. And after that, there was nothing else that the writers could tackle.

EDIT 2: Forgot to say, welcome to the POI family, ivysaur. Hope you enjoy the series, and if you have your doubts on the first episodes, endure them until episode 10, it's all uphill from there. You're gonna like it, I think.

Am OK with S5 being the finale

The arch of the show has escalated so much over the years. The only place they could go next after thr current story would be robots and a machine starting a nuclear war and we get a season set in a terminator like post apocalyptic war of humanity fighting for its freedom from the machines.

Yeah, I'm not disappointed or saying "fuck you CBS, you cancelled this too soon" or anything like that. I'm just a little disappointed at the timing if it is the last season - one of the characters might not get proper closure if this is the last season, plus it's finally hitting Netflix in the fall which could bring in new viewership.

That's also my big worry - as long as the writers go into it knowing it's the final season and not a "we'll tell you in May" kind of thing. I'd hate for the show to end on a cliffhanger/things unresolved.

Damn, my grieving process with Fringe was harder than this one, since that was the first series I dedicated myself to. I think that Fringe's Season 4 being kind of bad also contributed to that feeling, hoping that they wouldn't end on such a note (specially after Letters of Transit, it would have been a big middle finger after seeing something so awesome).

EDIT: But yeah, what ivy said. It was better than just being cancelled outright. And after that, there was nothing else that the writers could tackle.

EDIT 2: Forgot to say, welcome to the POI family, ivysaur. Hope you enjoy the series, and if you have your doubts on the first episodes, endure them until episode 10, it's all uphill from there. You're gonna like it, I think.

You should totally watch Carnivale seasons 1 & 2, then you'll truly know pain.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if my heart would take that, pirate.

Yeah, I'm not disappointed or saying "fuck you CBS, you cancelled this too soon" or anything like that. I'm just a little disappointed at the timing if it is the last season - one of the characters might not get proper closure if this is the last season, plus it's finally hitting Netflix in the fall which could bring in new viewership.

The new Netflix viewership would be good for Warner Bros. who owns the series, not for CBS, this is probably one of the reasons it's not getting another season.

I dunno.

The compression guy was also in that class (he was the PoI, after all) and look where he was in the finale.

Yeah, but Caleb was following Finch's advice. His reveal in S4 was certainly surprising but not unrealistic, especially not with his talent for coding. After all, he was planning to sell his algorithm for money in 2-pi-R.

With Dominic, though, if that was the actual intention of the writers I think they would have addressed that in YHWH, if not sooner. Dominic and Finch talk to each other in the finale, and Finch knows what Dominic looks like, so the opportunity was there. Maybe the writers wanted to leave it open, but it seems more likely that it was just a thematic callback, given how it relates to the plot of S4.

Kansoku

I agree that it's good that at least they now beforehand and that id managed to hit 100+ episodes.

The thing that gets me is that I really wanted for them to deliver their vision of the show (7 seasons and all). I already went through this once (Fringe), I didn't want it to happen again.

I bet the next show I watch will end with a 13eps, 5th season as well :<

Egg0

Banned
Sucks that it might be ending soon, but pleasantly surprised that CBS let it go for so long. Samaritan is the logical endgame for the show because you can't really top an adversary AI... Unless they planned on turning the AI bad at some point.

I'm hopeful this will get the ending that I wished Supernatural had. Instead of constantly trying to top the Season 5 big bad, it'll end.

ivysaur12

Banned

Thanks! I'm on ep 105, and then got sort of caught up in life.

I used to think back when I was watching S2 (and reading hype about how amazing S3 was) that the show was going to have robots in S3 but then I realized that'd cost way too much money.

Veelk

Banned
If PoI is ending, then I'd either want a full 22 episode season where Nolan condenses the last 3 seasons into 1, or the mathematical equivalent by having 2 13 episode seasons. Trying to put the entirety of the last 3 seasons into 13 episodes will not work... Unless they just cut a lot of stuff out and alter things, which is possible to do. All we can really do is trust in the writer I guess.

People commenting that they won't face a bigger threat than Samaritan... Well, you're not incorrect but your looking at it wrong. Bigger isn't better and the greatest strengths of the show were always character tension. You don't need a ginormous big bad for that. If you want proof, just look at this season finale. It wasn't good that the gang was losing a powerful tactical advantage like the Machine, but was that what made us tear up? No, it was the machine confessing that it dying might be a good thing because it thinks it's father hates it. That is what was powerful about it, not Samaritan flexing it's muscles. Samaritan's power was just what set that scene, and you can get those scenes in different ways. Supposing that the show was allowed to continue as planned, it'd be a fallacy to assume each needs to be bigger than the last to be better.

exYle

If PoI is ending, then I'd either want a full 22 episode season where Nolan condenses the last 3 seasons into 1, or the mathematical equivalent by having 2 13 episode seasons. Trying to put the entirety of the last 3 seasons into 13 episodes will not work... Unless they just cut a lot of stuff out and alter things, which is possible to do. All we can really do is trust in the writer I guess.

Not one of the POI seasons has not had filler episodes. And a huge chunk of a lot of the episodes are not necessary to tell the story the show wants to tell. If POI had been serialized from the start, the entire story could comfortably fit within 4 13-episode seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom