• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

BlackJace

Oh that. Setup is a bit finicky and it's pretty easy just to deny Naoto it by Bursting if you have it. Everyone in the corner is scary though, woof.

I had no burst, and of course me freaking out and saying wtf to myself didn't help me think straight haha. If I had fumbled around I might have been able to escape.

Shouta

I had no burst, and of course me freaking out and saying wtf to myself didn't help me think straight haha. If I had fumbled around I might have been able to escape.

Yeah, I saw your post. I've been pretty stingy with burst to avoid the big damage combos myself. Naoto needs a corner or lots of meter to get bigger damage in addition to your opponent flailing a bit in some cases so gotta stay calm.

Sophia

GGs marrshu, playing against aigis actually threw me off, didn't realize our 2B was so annoying lol.

A couple of tips for improving aigis:

- Don't burst after getting hit just once, only do it if you are actually in the middle of getting combo'd. Good players will be able to bait you this way.

- Aigis' supers aren't really worth it and shouldn't be thrown out randomly, with the exception of the 214214 series as combo enders and the 236236 one as a fullscreen punish if your opponent does something that leaves them really vulnerable (liz players)

- It's almost always safe to set up 5D after 2B whether it hits or is blocked. The exception is when you're within sweep range or when fighting characters like mitsuru (and aigis I guess). Once 5D is out, protect athena with 214A/B and/or 2B

- The safest times to go into orgia are when you're fullscreen after throwing out a successful 5D and after knockdowns. The same goes for canceling out of orgia, since I saw you overheat a lot.

- After DP'ing into orgia, you can hold in the direction your enemy flew to immediately boost up to them for pressure/mixup/combo while you're still floating from the blast.

- If you set up 5D + Rocket box from fullscreen the same applies, hold in the direction of the opponent and you can get free pressure/combo whether the rockets are blocked or hit.

- THE combo to learn with orgia aigis is 5AA 5B JC SBmegido (crossup A cannon -> JB jc JB JC Dmegido). This is the core of her game and you can get damage as high as 5k off of some things. If you can't do the part in the parentheses just stick with the first part for now. It's quite easy to start because you can hitconfirm it off of any 5AA (even orgia boost-in JA 5AA). If the timing for 5AA 5B is too hard then you can omit the 5B and directly JC after 5AA.

- Once you learn the above combo, save your meter for the SBmegido. It's the main reason why supers aren't worth it lol.

- In orgia mode, rather than randomly throwing out megidos, hitconfirm with JC since it has 2 hits and then cancel into (SB)megido after the second hit if you see the first one connect.

- I saw you set up 2D fullscreen a few times, but you should really only use it after a knockdown (sweep). Usually you want to use 5D in neutral.

And lastly it's a personal preference since I come from a melty background, but I recommend doing the 2A 5A 5B 2AB bnb I suggested earlier since knockdowns with aigis let you do just about anything.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind next time I play. That was a great learning experience.

In regards to burst: That's just paranoia, it's a problem I have in MOBAs as well. I should probably remove the macro for it, but then I'd have difficultly pulling it off in an actual match when I genuinely need it.

In regards to Orgia mode and the combos: I'm having extreme difficulty pulling off the combos consistently with her. You probably saw this during the match a few times, but I'd try to pull off a combo and do something stupid like her Gatling Guns (236A) because of how tiny the PS3's d-pad is. I have yet to be able to pull off Orgia mode in the middle of a combo, let alone canceling it. And yes, I've practiced this in training, but it's something I just can't do right no matter how many hours I put into it. It's why I was about to give up yesterday.

- Don't burst after getting hit just once, only do it if you are actually in the middle of getting combo'd. Good players will be able to bait you this way.

Hmmm that is situational. I burst on times where I feel momentum will sway the match very fast regardless if they have meter or not. Also I do it when I feel like the opponent can't handle my pressure at all.

Sophia

Hmmm that is situational. I burst on times where I feel momentum will sway the match very fast regardless if they have meter or not. Also I do it when I feel like the opponent can't handle my pressure at all.

In regards to Aigis, he's right. I do throw it out way too much because of my inability to easily recover from an attack.

Nyoro SF

How is Elizabeth not god tier? What is it about Aigis and Mitsuru that rank them above her?

If you dodge properly and you know where the gaps in her Persona attacks are, it's really easy to Persona Break her. That's pretty much her only weakness AFAIK other than having low health.

Venfayth

I don't want to start talking about tiers yet as I don't have anywhere near a full knowledge of the game, but:

Liz can do insane damage off relatively simple hit confirms. I personally believe (again, disclaimer: I'm not anything but a low level player atm) that she's got mobility and defensive problems that make it difficult for her to gain momentum once she loses it.

BlackJace

Yeah, going by my experience with Milk's Liz, you're not going to get anywhere unless you break Thanatos. Then she's as good as yours....maybe.

LProtag

Yeah, going by my experience with Milk's Liz, you're not going to get anywhere unless you break Thanatos. Then she's as good as yours....maybe.

Yeah, when I played Milk I was always trying to punish Thanatos as much as possible.

Didn't really work too well because I'm still a little unfamiliar with the character, but that's what I tried.

Is Yu the only character in the game with a air unblockable normal?

That seems ridiculous to me.

Also I hate Kanji's air tackle.

Every time I see one do it I feel a need to jump up and meet him.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is Yu the only character in the game with a air unblockable normal?

That seems ridiculous to me.

Also I hate Kanji's air tackle.

Every time I see one do it I feel a need to jump up and meet him.

Everyone but aegis and uhh someone else has it. It's 2b for everyone

and Yukiko's I think

correct

I don't want to start talking about tiers yet as I don't have anywhere near a full knowledge of the game, but:

Liz can do insane damage off relatively simple hit confirms. I personally believe (again, disclaimer: I'm not anything but a low level player atm) that she's got mobility and defensive problems that make it difficult for her to gain momentum once she loses it.

She's very persona reliant, she doesn't have good wakeup options beside the universal wakeup options that everybody else has, she requires a heavy amount of sp (alleviated through passive), and her mixup isn't super strong.

But she does have decent pressure, good dmg, status ailments and something else.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But she can be laid flat like a wood floor in three seconds once you get around her bullshit. Come on guys...

Afrocious

Just got the game. Is there a room up with neogaf folks?

PSN: Afrodeeziyak

:D

I just want to get kicked around to see what people can do.

Played against a Elizabeth for the first time tonight. Both rounds were pretty close but I still lost. Wasn't expecting a Persona onslaught. X_X

LProtag

What can I do when I know I'm about to be command thrown on wakeup? I thought I could roll but apparently not, and this command throw happy Kanji kept beating me, haha.

Thanks PoorFate and TWILT. You guys are really good. I think I learned a lot about what I need to do to improve.

You did improve since the last time we played. Those lightning cars 0_0.

Speaking of those, I noticed you throwing them out quite a bit. It's good if you catch someone with one but if it gets blocked you might want to think about One More Cancelling it if you have meter since you are vulnerable if it doesn't hit.

What can I do when I know I'm about to be command thrown on wakeup? I thought I could roll but apparently not, and this command throw happy Kanji kept beating me, haha.

I'm still trying to figure that out too. I fought a Kanji who spammed command grab if I tried to roll. And DP'd if I tried to DP him. Lose/Lose situation.

GGs to PoorFate and everyone else involved in the lobby. Labrys still scares me haha.

Those were some tense matches. That DP still ruins my day. Would be great if Labrys' furious action was that fast uncharged :p.

Also, that IK. Was not expecting that.

kirblar

Any notable specials/deals for the game going on?

Was planning on passing it up (and thus skipped the Newegg deal) but I'm working mega OT the next few weeks and will probably pick it up.

LProtag

You did improve since the last time we played. Those lightning cars 0_0.

Speaking of those, I noticed you throwing them out quite a bit. It's good if you catch someone with one but if it gets blocked you might want to think about One More Cancelling it if you have meter since you are vulnerable if it doesn't hit.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to throw them out less, or at least figure out when it's good to just bust it out raw. I've had some good reads with it, but I can't actually tell if they're reads because I use it so often, haha.

Meter management is also something I have to work on, I don't utilize meter nearly enough.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to throw them out less, or at least figure out when it's good to just bust it out raw. I've had some good reads with it, but I can't actually tell if they're reads because I use it so often, haha.

Meter management is also something I have to work on, I don't utilize meter nearly enough.

Anybody wanna play sets in a 5ish mins? I'll play anybody
that isn't a slab user because I'll have to counter pick that shit

I'll check forums before psn message

psn rrdragon88

Chavelo

Guys, guess what?

Got my first rage quit. :D

vEsNP.gif

<3 This game.

I had someone rage quit on me today in player match.

I was playing kanji and he was playing Yu.

I completely shut him down,called what he was going to do on wake up and punished.

he left right as i landed the punch super in the second round.

also lol @ ragequitters names being red in player lobbies.

Got my first rage quit. :D
Great feeling isn't it?

Grifter

- THE combo to learn with orgia aigis is 5AA 5B JC SBmegido (crossup A cannon -> JB jc JB JC Dmegido). This is the core of her game and you can get damage as high as 5k off of some things. If you can't do the part in the parentheses just stick with the first part for now. It's quite easy to start because you can hitconfirm it off of any 5AA (even orgia boost-in JA 5AA). If the timing for 5AA 5B is too hard then you can omit the 5B and directly JC after 5AA.

The 5AA confirm is a bit risky tho, can't jc on block and canceling into 5B leaves a hole, unless there's something I'm overlooking.

AAB's been annoying me cuz if I catch them just slightly off the ground, the B window tightens but it's hard to tell, and I've whiffed those.

Top Bottom