• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Guys, guess what?

Got my first rage quit. :D

vEsNP.gif

<3 This game.

I got one today against a Yukiko who wanted to play keepaway. I went in with my Swagtagonist and she just couldn't handle dat Senpai strength. Its a GREAT feeling.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The 5AA confirm is a bit risky tho, can't jc on block and canceling into 5B leaves a hole, unless there's something I'm overlooking.

AAB's been annoying me cuz if I catch them just slightly off the ground, the B window tightens but it's hard to tell, and I've whiffed those.
I never actually hitconfirm off a raw 5AA except for punishing DPs and bursts, but it's still pretty safe. There's no reason you need to jump cancel after 5AA since you can cancel into boost JB to reset pressure at any part of the blockstring. If you're baiting DPs then cancel into 5B 2B or just stagger your hits to make boost JB more unpredictable.

Grifter

I never actually hitconfirm off a raw 5AA except for punishing DPs and bursts, but it's still pretty safe. There's no reason you need to jump cancel after 5AA since you can cancel into boost JB to reset pressure at any part of the blockstring. If you're baiting DPs then cancel into 5B 2B or just stagger your hits to make boost JB more unpredictable.

I like to go for those AA confirms up close, tho her range is so terrible that I should probably avoid them. AA > boost/staggered C both get beat pretty easily, but I think I'll start just doing AAB quick in orgia and react from there.

BTW, my basic far normal B&B ended in C > 22B > boost, I'm gonna work your 2A+B > 22A and see what I can get off given the game's quick wakes.

K.Sabot

It's like people are trolling me with the fucking quick message system in lobbies.

Wasting so much fucking time I just end up kicking them while they try to say some dumb shit like "That was fun." or "C'est magnifique."

Astral

Does anyone know how many matches Score Attack is? I got to the 4th match (Teddie) and lost only because of his bullshit unblockable special that you have to jump over.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's like people are trolling me with the fucking quick message system in lobbies.

Wasting so much fucking time I just end up kicking them while they try to say some dumb shit like "That was fun." or "C'est magnifique."

Nah I'm pretty sure you are just being salty

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I like to go for those AA confirms up close, tho her range is so terrible that I should probably avoid them. AA > boost/staggered C both get beat pretty easily, but I think I'll start just doing AAB quick in orgia and react from there.

BTW, my basic far normal B&B ended in C > 22B > boost, I'm gonna work your 2A+B > 22A and see what I can get off given the game's quick wakes.
Hm never considered using C moves, seems like it'd make it easy to get persona broken and they come out slower than boost JB or boost JA.

Yeah, 2A+B combo ender is great. If you do 2A+B > 214A, you can continue pressure if it's blocked or do a 2500 damage OTG if it hits (run up 5B JB jc JB JC). 2A+B > 214A > 22B is also safe, with the bonus of netting you an easy 5k combo if the 214A hits (boost JC(1hit) SB megido loop). 2A+B >> 5D/(delay)2D is also great for punishing DPs or keeping opponents in the corner for more pressure.

Mannnnn, this game is fucking amazing. Dropping VF5FS for this. Yukiko, and that Boxer dude <3 Going to be fun going back and forth with GGAC+ and P4A.

Man, 360 ranked felt extra free to Elizabeth tonight for the most part. It did manage to teach me the very important lesson of not taking shock's paralysis for granted though (fucking lightning cars).

Does anyone know how many matches Score Attack is? I got to the 4th match (Teddie) and lost only because of his bullshit unblockable special that you have to jump over.

The entire roster.

Chavelo

So, I'm working on a custom playlist for training mode/online lobbies for 360.

What's your favorite remix/live/normal song from the P3/P4 series, PersonaGAF?

Also, how do you unlock more words for your online title? o_O

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I have to turn in my Akihiko avatar. I can't even beat his story mode without mashing auto-combo. Everything about him just CONFUSES me.

He's a guessing game character

I don't play him but from what I hear he's all about taking risks, since he's a close range character who's pressure tools are all either unsafe or require meter.

Good thing about him is when you do make a good read the payoff is big. Dude hurts

I couldn't play him though lol

Grifter

Hm never considered using C moves, seems like it'd make it easy to get persona broken and they come out slower than boost JB or boost JA.

Yeah, 2A+B combo ender is great. If you do 2A+B > 214A, you can continue pressure if it's blocked or do a 2500 damage OTG if it hits (run up 5B JB jc JB JC). 2A+B > 214A > 22B is also safe, with the bonus of netting you an easy 5k combo if the 214A hits (boost JC(1hit) SB megido loop). 2A+B >> 5D/(delay)2D is also great for punishing DPs or keeping opponents in the corner for more pressure.
C is out of orgia, and I 236A if they block to cover Athena/push them out (also combos on hit).

I'm surprised that 2A+B can make 214A safe! I didn't think there was any way to make that safe in a string (just by eyeballing its startup). For your DP punish, do you mean to cancel the 2A+B with D to bait a DP? Not sure how that'd punish.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
C is out of orgia, and I 236A if they block to cover Athena/push them out (also combos on hit).

I'm surprised that 2A+B can make 214A safe! I didn't think there was any way to make that safe in a string (just by eyeballing its startup). For your DP punish, do you mean to cancel the 2A+B with D to bait a DP? Not sure how that'd punish.
If 2A+B is blocked it doesn't make 214A safe for some characters and there is enough of a gap for a super punish probably, which is why it's good to mix it up with 5C like you said. If 2A+B hits then yeah canceling into 214A also gives you a lot of options.

For the DP punish I meant 2A+B on hit. If you're overheated or just deactivated orgia it's a good option. 2A+B knockdown -> 5D / (delay)2D and just block. Once they respect that setup you can instant airdash in to reset your pressure.

Venfayth

His unblockable?

After he disappears, wait a second, then super jump up and airdash. That seems to work most times for me anyway.

Cheddahz

Banned
Just started Nao's story tonight, I'm really liking it so far, the intro to it is different from almost every one else, which is great

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I sent a FR to Solar and tomat, but I can't promise lag-free games.

Don't worry about it, I can't even promise games. Not because I don't have the time, I definitely do have the time, it's just the whole playing video games part.

I sent a FR to Solar and tomat, but I can't promise lag-free games.

It's almost 2AM here, tomorrow I promised my brother I'd let him use the 360 for most of the day, I have homework to do (that I totally should've done ages ago) and school's kinda being an asshole when it comes to leaving me time to play things next week so I can't promise much :T

Anyone up for a FT10 set?
Yes, Ragingnight, let's go!

K I'm going to break down some of the matches.

I realized you were getting in with bear-drill and I had no way to punish it, but I found out during our games it was negative on block and allow me to setup a crossup mixup jump A. Also I think you realized part way in I could dp out between the 2nd and 3rd hit of the auto combo and you realized pretty quick and stop doing it which is good.

The unblockable super while can be consider "scumbag" its totally legit. It has no combo, it has no real setup its just a raw unblockable. You saw me getting hit by it and you kept doing it, which is the correct mentality. Don't change something that keeps working. I finally figured out the timing but the part that astounds me is I can't punish it at all. For my character it just resets the game back to neutral.

My advice. play footsies with the bat, you never really took advantage of it and it could easily punished my whiff 5As. Next you have to watch the timing and placement of the persona. Some are placed for bait, some are placed just for blockstun pressure. Once you figure that down you'll get a better feel towards the match against yukiko. If you notice some of your rolls were baited with the persona and you rolled right into 5A. That is just all spacing and you have to watch it.

For that super super shit I do in awakening you just have to respect the first reversal. After that if you see me setup an unblockable you have to watch to see if I buffer the super. If I do buffer DO NOT TECH ASAP. Late tech it so that the invul frames time the flames. Lastly you can also double jump it if you can time it right. The real goal of the super is the mixup I get afterward. If I hit you its a +, all I want is the setup since they do the same dmg either way.

Lastly if you see me whiff air fans, know that I can't do anything until I land. Whiff air fans will get me killed so abuse it if possible.

Fighting against yukiko is all about patience (unless you're a few characters) and walking me into the corner. After the corner you have to realize I have VERY poor options and that either reversal super or DP is highly likely to occur. Fortunately for you my DP is garbage, does 100 dmg (yeah 100), bad hit box, bad recovery, which all lead to a very high reward if you bait it.

edit for an edit

Will add more if I think of more stuff or just make another post.

Top Bottom