• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Kadey said:
How is everyone dealing with Persona leveling? Are you guys leveling every Persona to gain all their abilities or just flat out getting them and fusing whenever a nice possibility pops up?

I only play with a Persona if I think it's pretty. Well, that and Belpheggor, because he's sitting on a toilet.

MotherFan

Ok, this is my first real time in the persona world, I just bought it and should get it in the mail shortly. What should I expect? I played some of the first one and didn't like it but that was a long time ago. Also SO4 is coming out soon >< I think I have alot of gaming to do ;)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
MotherFan said:
Ok, this is my first real time in the persona world, I just bought it and should get it in the mail shortly. What should I expect? I played some of the first one and didn't like it but that was a long time ago. Also SO4 is coming out soon >< I think I have alot of gaming to do ;)

Well, hopefully you read up on the game and should know what to expect by now. The "social sim" aspect of the game as well as the battle system. The game has a very "Pokemon"-ish type feel to it with changing your Persona and how it relates to your character's stats.

Expect it to be a LONG game, with really smart and witty dialog and writing. One of the best RPGs I've ever played, but it's definitely not for everybody. I would say though, this game is way more geared towards a broader audience than any other SMT game or Persona 3 was.

Adam Prime said:
yeah TaP sodas are your only bet. Dealing with SP is definitely more challenging in the beginning of the game, rather than in the end. Here's some good tips:

- Level up the Fox S.Link ASAP. Make it your priority to get it up a few levels before going in the dungeon

- Make sure the Fox is "happy" or whatever in the dungeon, so he'll heal you for slightly less SP. If the Fox is unhappy you'll get charged more. Just be sure to save your game before going to the TV and reload if its he's in a bad mood and try another day.

- Re-run the first dungeon in the game whenever you get low on cash for the Fox. You should re-run every dungeon in the game at least once, but doing it multiple times can get you a boat load of cash, and eventually giving the Fox money never really becomes a huge problem.

- And of course, buy TaP sodas every week.

Thanks! Here's another noob question: it says if you don't save someone by the time the fog comes in you go back a week. You don't lose anything though do you? Like exp, items, personas ect gained in the week before?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
robut said:
Thanks! Here's another noob question: it says if you don't save someone by the time the fog comes in you go back a week. You don't lose anything though do you? Like exp, items, personas ect gained in the week before?

You don't get to keep everything that you gained the week prior; you start with what you had a week out. So don't count out on keeping your things.

Really saving people from the fog should never be a problem. For the first two dungeons I saved the person in two days, mostly because of SP problems. But once I got the S.Link Up and have enough cash, I was able to complete every dungeon from 3 to the end of the game in one run. You just have to take your time, and re-run old dungeons for money so you can heal via SP.

More n00b tips: If you're having problems advancing further in dungeons, time to start Fusing. Normally I never Fused any Personae until I got to a part in the dungeon where I just wasn't doing enough damage and my defense was getting me pummeled. Then I knew it was time to start Fusing. Preferably you want your Persona's level to be the same as your character's. If you are Lv 18 (your HP and SP level) and your Persona is only Lv 12, you are probably going to have a tough time in the dungeons. If you're Lv 18 you want your Persona to be Lv 17-20. Then you'll be able to manage the enemies better.

vegee

Banned
I'm new to the game and so far I'm having a blast.

A few questions. As someone who has never played the games prior, is this game supposed to seem a little daunting when you start off? I understand the gist of everything within the game (i.e. Social Links, fusing, etc), but the sheer amount of stuff to do is just mind-boggling. The fusing itself, while self-explanatory, seems fraught with danger. I'm afraid to do anything permanent and lose a card. I know you can register your Personas, but I still don't really understand how that works.

Last question...I can do a Tri-fuse and get a level 59 Anubis. I think, at best, I'm around level 9 or so in the first dungeon. This just seems broken to me. Looking at the Skills that Persona has, it doesn't have alot of out-and-out damage to it, but when your best Persona is level 8 and you see something that is level 59, my first inclination is to go for it. I can get another Persona that's at level 35 and a bunch of them that are closer to my level, but I don't really know what I NEED to have in order to complete things.

Thankfully, I have alot of time to complete this dungeon. I thought the cloud picture in the forecasts meant fog so I was madly trying to complete Yukiko's castle 10 days before it absolutely had to be completed.

Thanks for all the advice. I just died after 5 levels of a dungeon because of an insta kill. Really discouraging for it to happen so damn early:/ Gotta put some anti death on my guy I guess.

robut said:
Thanks for all the advice. I just died after 5 levels of a dungeon because of an insta kill. Really discouraging for it to happen so damn early:/ Gotta put some anti death on my guy I guess.
Or level up your S. Links so your teammates will save your butt. =P

Yaweee

vegee said:
I'm new to the game and so far I'm having a blast.

A few questions. As someone who has never played the games prior, is this game supposed to seem a little daunting when you start off? I understand the gist of everything within the game (i.e. Social Links, fusing, etc), but the sheer amount of stuff to do is just mind-boggling. The fusing itself, while self-explanatory, seems fraught with danger. I'm afraid to do anything permanent and lose a card. I know you can register your Personas, but I still don't really understand how that works.

Last question...I can do a Tri-fuse and get a level 59 Anubis. I think, at best, I'm around level 9 or so in the first dungeon. This just seems broken to me. Looking at the Skills that Persona has, it doesn't have alot of out-and-out damage to it, but when your best Persona is level 8 and you see something that is level 59, my first inclination is to go for it. I can get another Persona that's at level 35 and a bunch of them that are closer to my level, but I don't really know what I NEED to have in order to complete things.

Thankfully, I have alot of time to complete this dungeon. I thought the cloud picture in the forecasts meant fog so I was madly trying to complete Yukiko's castle 10 days before it absolutely had to be completed.

1) You can't fuse Persona higher than your current level, so that's not at all broken.

2) Fusing can never permanently screw you. Every persona is 100% re-obtainable, and the first time you get any single one, it gets registered into your compendium to be re-summoned for a fee. You can update the compendium record of a persona in the velvet room. You'll have Persona cards spilling out of your ass constantly (i.e. be at the limit), so you might as well get fusing.

3) The skills you see on a Persona are deceptive. You'll likely have their 2-3 base skills, 1-4 from fusion, and another 3 from S. Link bonus exp to work with, alongside the possibility of bonus skills from the Fusion Forecast.

vegee

Banned
Yaweee said:
1) You can't fuse Persona higher than your current level, so that's not at all broken.

2) Fusing can never permanently screw you. Every persona is 100% re-obtainable, and the first time you get any single one, it gets registered into your compendium to be re-summoned for a fee. You can update the compendium record of a persona in the velvet room. You'll have Persona cards spilling out of your ass constantly (i.e. be at the limit), so you might as well get fusing.

3) The skills you see on a Persona are deceptive. You'll likely have their 2-3 base skills, 1-4 from fusion, and another 3 from S. Link bonus exp to work with, alongside the possibility of bonus skills from the Fusion Forecast.

Thanks for clearing some things up. I had completely forgotten that you can't fuse Persona higher than your level. I've been staring at that "You can now fuse Persona up to level __" message for the last hour or so. Guess it never really set in.

Considering that I haven't fused anything yet, I'm surprised I got as far as I did in the first dungeon. Enemies starting getting pretty hard by the 5th floor and I barely beat the first boss.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
RocketDarkness said:
Or level up your S. Links so your teammates will save your butt. =P

This is really the key to surviving early on. You MUST S.Link Lv Up your party characters to the point so they will take a killing blow for you. It'll save you a lot of frustrations.

Considering that I haven't fused anything yet, I'm surprised I got as far as I did in the first dungeon. Enemies starting getting pretty hard by the 5th floor and I barely beat the first boss.

Honestly the first two dungeons were the hardest for me. The game eased up a lot after that because by that time I was getting used to the battle mechanics and as long as you stay up on your important S.Links (Party members and Fox), and do a bit of money grinding - you should really never have too big of a problem til the end. At least I didn't... playing on Normal.

jasonng

Started my second run, going for max links. It's definitely more enjoyable not having that fear of being wiped at any given moment (still playing on normal).

I always feel like I'm playing the game wrong when it comes with my personas. I've noticed that when playing this and P3:Fes, I settled with Thor as my main. Obviously, there are far better personas but I can beat both games with him. I feel like I'm missing out on some legendary personas. I went ahead and fused a trumpeteer to see this "I win" button (sure enough it lived up to its name). So what other high level personas should I go for? Already I see I should get an Alice.

jasonng said:
So what other high level personas should I go for? Already I see I should get an Alice.
Yoshitsune, definitely. Gotta max the Tower S.Link for him, I think.

Arguably the best physical based Persona in the game.

I'd like some advice from people on how to proceed, and feedback on how I'm doing so far.

It's 9/27, I've already
saved Naoto
, and here are my stats:

Knowledge - 5
Courage - 5
Diligence - 4
Expression - 5
Understanding - 4

Here are my s. links:

Fool - 7
Magician - MAXED
Priestess - MAXED
Empress - 1
Emperor - 5
Hierophant - 6
Lovers - 1
Chariot - MAXED
Justice - 5
Hermit - MAXED
Strength - MAXED
Hanged Man - 1
Temperance - 3
Star - 5
Sun - 3

how am I doing?

jasonng

You're not going to max out all your links if that's what you're going for. Two of the links you're going for are going to end sooner than the others so if you want to max their links out at the cost of spoilers then I'll spoil them at the bottom. I'd recommend not worrying about maxed links and just enjoy the game. No one finishes all the links on their first run. You can go finish the rest of your party's links so that they get their
second persona
though.

If you still want to know which two links end early (really recommend you find out for yourself) they are
Justice and Hierophant

EDIT: I'm stupid.

noi5e

Yeah, I would say work on your teammates.
Those bottom out in the endgame a month before all other links and become available only on weekends.

I just got the game yesterday. Should I play this game on expert? I have played and beaten Nocturne, DDS 1 & 2, Persona 3 all on normal. To me Persona 3 was mostly easy on normal, would expert be too much or is it challenging without being cheap?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Labombadog said:
I just got the game yesterday. Should I play this game on expert? I have played and beaten Nocturne, DDS 1 & 2, Persona 3 all on normal. To me Persona 3 was mostly easy on normal, would expert be too much or is it challenging without being cheap?

I'm only a Persona 3 vet, and I thought Persona 4 was pretty easy on normal. The gameplay additions like controlling your teammate's actions, having your teammates take vital blows for you, etc. make the game easier and more forgiving. At times where you would've died in Persona 3, there was a safe guard in place to keep you from doing that.

That said, after the first two dungeons on P4 I'm not sure that I ever died repeatedly. It was mostly smooth sailing. So I would say if you want a challenge, do it on Expert.

Adam Prime said:
I'm only a Persona 3 vet, and I thought Persona 4 was pretty easy on normal. The gameplay additions like controlling your teammate's actions, having your teammates take vital blows for you, etc. make the game easier and more forgiving. At times where you would've died in Persona 3, there was a safe guard in place to keep you from doing that.

That said, after the first two dungeons on P4 I'm not sure that I ever died repeatedly. It was mostly smooth sailing. So I would say if you want a challenge, do it on Expert.
Thank you kind sir.

Btw, your avatar rocks!

Red Scarlet

IIRC, my main obstacle to trying P3 on expert, the quadruple price of buying Personas from the compendium, doesn't happen in 4.

His avatar is too tall actually, and he should fix that.

FredFish

IIRC she stops loitering on the corner when the fog gets bad :/
You might be able to trade some fish you have for bait with the old fisherman (his trades change each month and I don't remember if you get that option in December) otherwise pray for a home cooking opportunity :/

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
noi5e said:
Yeah, I would say work on your teammates.
Those bottom out in the endgame a month before all other links and become available only on weekends.
Wait, what?
I was raising those links up throughout December, and they weren't available just on weekends either.

gobassgo

Banned
So I finally managed to beat this game today.
Got the good/true ending, and it was fantastic.

Trumpeter + debilitate = sweetest thing since cherry pie.

noi5e

XiaNaphryz said:
Wait, what?
I was raising those links up throughout December, and they weren't available just on weekends either.

Hmm, I could be mistaken... For some reason I remember
everyone sitting around being mopey or asking if you wanted to go to the hospital, and only on the weekends would they be like, "Let's take a break from saving the world"

jasonng

noi5e said:
everyone sitting around being mopey or asking if you wanted to go to the hospital, and only on the weekends would they be like, "Let's take a break from saving the world"

It has happened to me as well. Twice even through my first run. I don't think it was on a weekend though, more like on two random days.

w00t, Thanks for your guide Red. Alice is the hotness. I just beat the game via true ending using mostly her :lol

About to run through again for all the S.Links.......using her again :lol

Tamanon

Banned
noi5e said:

It only happens to a couple each day.
One or two of your teammates will want to go to the hospital, the others will be free for S. Linking. Rotates every day

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just hit December 6th.

I knew it was that little bitch Adachi. It threw me off when he wasn't around to take Rise, but as soon as Namatame started talking at the car wreck about saving people I just thought "I KNEW it was that damn Adachi!"

XiaNaphryz

Tamanon said:
It only happens to a couple each day.
One or two of your teammates will want to go to the hospital, the others will be free for S. Linking. Rotates every day
Yeah, I'm surprised people mistook that as happening to the team as a whole, considering how often I saw Naoto standing in the 1st floor hallway with the ! symbol overhead throughout most of the week.

Found some awesome artwork of everyones Shadow-selves. Dunno if its been posted but:
877840-naoto_159_super.jpg

MotherFan

Ok, I am at the true ending dungeon, what personas do i really need to fuse. And what makes alice so great? I see the Cool Breeze but Trumpeter has it too.

Shapingo

MotherFan said:
Ok, I am at the true ending dungeon, what personas do i really need to fuse. And what makes alice so great? I see the Cool Breeze but Trumpeter has it too.

Alice learns Die For Me! with mudo boost it is pretty much over for anyone that isn't null to dark

XiaNaphryz

Shapingo said:
Alice learns Die For Me! with mudo boost it is pretty much over for anyone that isn't null to dark
Is that pretty much the same as using Daisojou (Samsara/Hama Boost) or is it better for some reason with Alice needing a higher level to fuse?

Stocka

It comes out in Europe next friday and i'm contemplating buying it. Should I? How long is it? I'm not sure if I have the time for a 70 hour + game...

Gattsu25

Banned
Blablurn said:
and will it run on a 60GB PS3 from Europe? someone on gaf told me it won't but i need more infos.
Don't the EU 60GB and the US 80GB (MGS4) share the same semi-software emulation? It works fine on the US 80GB.

Crystalkoen

XiaNaphryz said:
Is that pretty much the same as using Daisojou (Samsara/Hama Boost) or is it better for some reason with Alice needing a higher level to fuse?

Not having to go through the trouble to level Daisoujou up to the same level that Alice starts at (for the stats) would be a good enough reason, methinks, but Samsara/Hama Boost works as well against non-light immunes as Die for Me!/Mudo Boost works for non-dark immunes, if that's your only goal. Also, elemental immunities/weaknesses may be of concern, but I don't recall what those two break down to, and I'm too lazy to hit a FAQ just for this post :p

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
After almost 3 months of playing the game, I should finally get the true ending tonight. I got up to the boss last night, but it was late and I wanted to make sure I have time to watch all of the ending (don't know how long it is).

I freaking steamrolled the last dungeon; took out both mid bosses on round 2 (Chie + power charge + god's hand = THE OWNAGE). I'm hoping the final boss puts up some kind of a fight, but knowing how most JRPGs I've played work I'm not really expecting it.

Top Bottom