• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Hold me GAF! I just got my copy today, and I'm scared to start!

edit: Ok, this is happening. I'm going to try to ignore my OCD tendencies, and play the game for fun, no guides, no FAQs. Still, are there any guiding principles I should keep in mind as I go?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I officially hate the ever loving hell out of the final boss for the true ending.

I've been beating the ever loving hell out of her without much trouble, when suddenly my main gets popped with a status effect and Summons to Yomi and it's game over.

The worst part is that the second time it happened, she also killed two of my teammates but they were saved by the S-Link bonus. grrrrrr

The Divine Pillar I had equipped had been a huge help so far, but looks like I'm switching to Book of the Void this next try.

::edit::
Also, when you start the fight and Rise says "This will end it all. We've got to believe!" I always instantly think of Parappa the Rapper.

FredFish

magus said:
Ok I just bought Persona 4. Should I buy Persona 3 too?

Yes and play P3fes first. Some of the streamlining they did in game mechanics in P4 (classroom save spot, square button insta-travel etc) may spoil you.

Nekobo

Red Scarlet said:
I just found out this week that I could hit the square button while in the TV to go right to the Velvet Room..

Whoa, never noticed...I always assumed I actually had to walk to the door every time. :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
KibblesBits said:
Does your game show the location in the bottom left area?
Pretty sure noone on 80 gb PS3s even notice the blank location bar until they're told what it's for or played P4 on a PS2 or launch PS3 beforehand.
Monroeski said:
I officially hate the ever loving hell out of the final boss for the true ending.

I've been beating the ever loving hell out of her without much trouble, when suddenly my main gets popped with a status effect and Summons to Yomi and it's game over.

The worst part is that the second time it happened, she also killed two of my teammates but they were saved by the S-Link bonus. grrrrrr

The Divine Pillar I had equipped had been a huge help so far, but looks like I'm switching to Book of the Void this next try.

::edit::
Also, when you start the fight and Rise says "This will end it all. We've got to believe!" I always instantly think of Parappa the Rapper.

Dude, the boss practically gives away what it's going to do.
Just be sure to Guard right after it does that "Raise status ailment susceptibility/mind charge" combo. Just like guarding against elemental weaknesses, guarding prevents status effects from happening.

Gandara

I played through the game on a 80gb software emulated PS3. But I didn't realize that there was only one problem. When you are in dungeons or certain areas, there is no text displayed in the lower left hand corner. I didn't know that each level of the dungeon was actually displayed. I had to count each level as I went up. But since I used Goho-h all the time, it didn't matter to much.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Gandara said:
I played through the game on a 80gb software emulated PS3. But I didn't realize that there was only one problem. When you are in dungeons or certain areas, there is no text displayed in the lower left hand corner. I didn't know that each level of the dungeon was actually displayed. I had to count each level as I went up. But since I used Goho-h all the time, it didn't matter to much.
Pretty sure it's supposed to show the location EVERYWHERE actually, including town locations.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Found some awesome artwork of everyones Shadow-selves. Dunno if its been posted but:
877840-naoto_159_super.jpg

What's the source? Cuz it's fantastic and I'd love to see if there's more!

Leam

Game is finaly going to be released this friday in europe, my preorder is in :D. I have a few questions, I know they must have been answered in the thread before but there are too many tempting spoilers and the thread is kinda big to read it all :)

1) What's your opinion on the game dificulty? My p3 FES playthrough was in hard and i didnt find it that difficult, however i had already finished p3 before so i was importing some stuff like the stats and i knew what i was doing. Also i wanted to see the lvl 90 persona so i was very high lvl by the end. I dont like cakewalks but I dont enjoy a boss killing me in 1 hit just to make me go back and grind for a while. For reference i found DDS or Nocturne too hard (but awesome).

2)I know there are diferent endings. Is it based on answers and decisions or in how many Social links you lvl up? (please be the first one :lol )

3)I'm buying it in spain, by chance anyone knows if it'll be translated to spanish? I've heard it wont, just like p3. (I'd actually buy it from UK if it is translated , spanish translations are even worse than english ones)

4) Is the bone phone back?

KGKK

Banned
Got this game about 2 weeks ago. Love it, almost already done. I am in December now so spoilers

I got the bad ending first, killed the mofo. After I was like wtf? Such a depressing ending. I loaded up my save again, got the same ending again, I didn't kill him though and Nananko got revived. Still felt unsatisfactory. I used the power of the internet, selected the right answers. DAMN ADACHI, felt bad afterwards for jumping to conclusions and killing off Namante right away:(

Anyhow, if I only maxed out like 4 social links, can I still get the true ending?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
lemmming said:
omg the square button XD this sucks! never knew that :(

haha. Yeah I learned early on to hit Square at just about every screen to see what it does. I don't think I have ever loved the square button as much as I did in this game. :lol

FredFish

Leam said:
Game is finaly going to be released this friday in europe, my preorder is in :D. I have a few questions, I know they must have been answered in the thread before but there are too many tempting spoilers and the thread is kinda big to read it all :)

1) What's your opinion on the game dificulty? My p3 FES playthrough was in hard and i didnt find it that difficult, however i had already finished p3 before so i was importing some stuff like the stats and i knew what i was doing. Also i wanted to see the lvl 90 persona so i was very high lvl by the end. I dont like cakewalks but I dont enjoy a boss killing me in 1 hit just to make me go back and grind for a while. For reference i found DDS or Nocturne too hard (but awesome).

2)I know there are diferent endings. Is it based on answers and decisions or in how many Social links you lvl up? (please be the first one :lol )

3)I'm buying it in spain, by chance anyone knows if it'll be translated to spanish? I've heard it wont, just like p3. (I'd actually buy it from UK if it is translated , spanish translations are even worse than english ones)

4) Is the bone phone back?

1) I didn't find it as difficult as The Journey in fes and imo it's quite a bit easier than The Answer. It's no cakewalk though and for the first few dungeons especially you will have cause to realize that yes, you're playing an SMT game ;)

2)Based on choices you make but you will need to max at least some socials (minimum of one I guess though if you don't max a few you must've been avoiding s-link stuff entirely)

3)No idea, sorry :/

4)Not getting the reference at all

@KGKK Just a few is all you need

jasonng

Jeez guys, how do you guys survive without the square button function?

Also, finally got my epic World persona. Wish shadows weren't doormats so I can use him for challenging fights. I still find it hilarious every time Teddie says
"I've climbed the stairway to maturity!"

MotherFan

Ok, question about the death social link.
I'm trying to find the letters for the old lady's husband but I can't find them. I searched all around the weapon store like the walkthroughs said. Why can I not find them?

jasonng said:
Jeez guys, how do you guys survive without the square button function?

Also, finally got my epic World persona. Wish shadows weren't doormats so I can use him for challenging fights. I still find it hilarious every time Teddie says
I use it everywhere else, I just never thought to try it in the dungeon, since everything's on one screen already.

Oh, and Red, I saw your Trumpeter. Very sick.

Red Scarlet said:
I wanted Absorb Physical + Mind Charge, but that combo worked well too. Now I'm going through fusion withdrawal. :(
Now what you have to do is fuse all these awesome skills downwards, so that even the lowliest Slime has access to things like Victory Cry, gratuitous Absorb skills, and general ridiculousness.

Red Scarlet

RocketDarkness said:
Now what you have to do is fuse all these awesome skills downwards, so that even the lowliest Slime has access to things like Victory Cry, gratuitous Absorb skills, and general ridiculousness.

p4083.png

I can't make my Omega Sarasvati until the 2nd time through; I need 0 S-Link levels so i don't get junk abilities. I think I HAVE to get Magician to 1 before that, so that will add to some frustration but it won't be as bad.

noi5e

jasonng said:
I still find it hilarious every time Teddie says

I played this game for like 100 hours over one month and I never got tired of Teddie. Every time I saw him in battle with this goofy grin like he was this random transplant from another game I would just crack up.

MotherFan

Red Scarlet said:
I wanted Absorb Physical + Mind Charge, but that combo worked well too. Now I'm going through fusion withdrawal. :(

Thanks for the info. :)

Anyone have a list of skills that cannot be inherited?

ghostmind said:
Not to fan the flames, but is there any word/chance the SMT games, and specifically Persona would come to the 360?

Atlus is developing an unspecified cross-platform PS3/360 title. My guess is that it's SMT4. We probably won't find out for sure for some time.

Second play through, 180+ hours and I screwed up two S.Links.
Time for the normal ending, then I'm taking a break from this crazy game.

MotherFan

KibblesBits said:
Second play through, 180+ hours and I screwed up two S.Links.
Time for the normal ending, then I'm taking a break from this crazy game.

Ya, i am too after second time. I don't know if i am gonna max all 10 on my second time, i think i have made some errors lol.

MotherFan

Ok, question about
the cultural festival. When you are going around with ai you run into the booth of the "pointy nose fortune teller" and a female chuckles and is labeled as a "familiar voice". Did Margaret and Igor really come out of the velvet room for this? Cause that's what it seems to imply.

Eh might as well be that person that starts talking about playing the game for the first time in a thread that is filled with random rambling from people who have already put way too much time into the said game.

Started playing it the day after i finished p3. So far the main thing is that i am really enjoying the characters/story the first few hours into the game. It feels more realistic/believable than p3, well at least as much as a jrpg can (not counting the yakuza series). Or it mainly was until that crazy fox showed up.

FredFish

MotherFan said:
Ok, question about
the cultural festival. When you are going around with ai you run into the booth of the "pointy nose fortune teller" and a female chuckles and is labeled as a "familiar voice". Did Margaret and Igor really come out of the velvet room for this? Cause that's what it seems to imply.

Yes.
Though they didn't leave the Velvet Room, they moved the world to them ;)

Top Bottom