• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

i'm burnt out from persona too. now, if atlus made the cast of p5 mostly adults and continued the formula i might be inclined to try it again sooner than later. they can't keep ignoring the older gamers forever... we need stuff to relate to as well. and the randomness of chests is good/bad. the former earlier in the game depending on what's in a chest.

just take a break dude.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I think the combination of getting money AND weapons and stuff worked great in p3. The option to split up your guys was great, too.

I think I've only gotten like 3 weapons in chest, throughout the whole game. absolutely retarded. the shuffle thing in p3 was better, too. Only Personae are possible in P4 which is zzzzzz.

lemmming

the pace is only chosen for you if you want to max all of the s-links available.
I for one never did that, never needed that.
also - money never ever was a problem to me, I have no idea how you played this game. by running through the dungeon once I got enough cards to fuse and experiment as much as I wanted. by the end of the game I was around 75%, which was alright I think :)
for more than that there is the extra effort you gotta put in, but that's true for any game imo.

the loot... was great to me. there is a chance that it's crappy, but in the last dungeon I got pretty lucky ^^

i had so many chest keys it didn't matter.

but in general there's only a few dungeons where the armor/weapons from gold chests are good anyhow.

Yaweee

Error said:
I think that's your problem, I spread my dungeon crawling. I never do it all in one day, because that's retarded. You could, sure but then you have lot of dead time. I think the game makes it pretty obvious that it's not about rushing things, the game is generous enough about it (making the dungeons themselves pretty short).

The pacing of the game is up to the player, that's probably what I like the most about P3/P4. You can do the dungeon in one day, but you can also spread it out for the entire month. if you are finding the pacing bad, then it's no one's but your own problem.

Error said:
<error> I'm trying to finish P4 and I just can't find any motivation.
<@Dragona> ah
<@Dragona> ah
<error> Really hope this is the last game with this type of gameplay.
<@Dragona> i'm at the end of blue dragon and I think the area is really stupid
<error> The dungeon crawling in P4 is HORRIBLE.
<error> It's worse than P3
<error> the loot is absolutely horrendous
<error> there's no incentive to do dungeon crawling
<error> I'm getting fucking peach seeds
<error> in one of the last dungeons in the game
<error> wtf
<@Dragona> glad i didntpick it up :S
<error> I mean, it might be an improvement overall. But it just isn't the same, P3 was fresh and awesome. This game feels to 'me too' at times. I hate how you can't do your teammates S.Links if there's a person on the tv.
<error> So you are encouraged to do the dungeon crawling as fast as possible
<error> to raise your teammates s.links
<error> once you do the dungeon, you are left with nothing but school sim
<error> in P3 you chose your own pace, in P4 the pace is chosen for you.
<error> Also in rainy days, the vast majority (like 95%) of the s.links are unavailable.
<error> it feels more linear, and that sucks.

Sorry Atlus, but if P5 is the same as P3 and P4. I'm not interested. P3 was awesome, it was something fresh and cool. P4 just tries to be the same and fails, because this formula only works once. I like the story and the characters, it's just that the gameplay is boring.

I forgot to mention that getting money is a huge pain in the ass. So you can't experiment with fusions like you could in P3, the weapons and armors are super expensive too.

Yeah, that echoes my biggest complaints about the game. P3's biggest flaw was the pacing-- one major story event every 6-10 hours was just too damn slow. I thought they ditched the moon system in P4 so they could speed things up a bit, but instead they spread things out even more. On top of that, it's more streaky. There are no scheduled scenes while a dungeon is open, and weeks there are weeks after you rescue somebody when you have no real objectives with regards to crawling.

I'd still say P4 is the better game, though. I absolutely loved the story, especially when the it starts branching. The central cast is more compelling. Boss fights are fantastic. The battle system feels more strategic in general.

I'd strongly recommend pushing through to the end. Pacing becomes much less of an issue, and the story gets awesome. What dungeon are you in now?

MotherFan

Error said:
<error> I'm trying to finish P4 and I just can't find any motivation.
<@Dragona> ah
<@Dragona> ah
<error> Really hope this is the last game with this type of gameplay.
<@Dragona> i'm at the end of blue dragon and I think the area is really stupid
<error> The dungeon crawling in P4 is HORRIBLE.
<error> It's worse than P3
<error> the loot is absolutely horrendous
<error> there's no incentive to do dungeon crawling
<error> I'm getting fucking peach seeds
<error> in one of the last dungeons in the game
<error> wtf
<@Dragona> glad i didntpick it up :S
<error> I mean, it might be an improvement overall. But it just isn't the same, P3 was fresh and awesome. This game feels to 'me too' at times. I hate how you can't do your teammates S.Links if there's a person on the tv.
<error> So you are encouraged to do the dungeon crawling as fast as possible
<error> to raise your teammates s.links
<error> once you do the dungeon, you are left with nothing but school sim
<error> in P3 you chose your own pace, in P4 the pace is chosen for you.
<error> Also in rainy days, the vast majority (like 95%) of the s.links are unavailable.
<error> it feels more linear, and that sucks.

Sorry Atlus, but if P5 is the same as P3 and P4. I'm not interested. P3 was awesome, it was something fresh and cool. P4 just tries to be the same and fails, because this formula only works once. I like the story and the characters, it's just that the gameplay is boring.

I forgot to mention that getting money is a huge pain in the ass. So you can't experiment with fusions like you could in P3, the weapons and armors are super expensive too.

I guess I disagree. I didn't like p1 and 2 very much and won't buy p5 if it is like that. I hope it is like 3 and 4 with a bit better pacing and loot distribution.

Error

I'm not saying it has to be like P1/2, I'm just saying this formula has got to go and they should do something else for P5.

Error

Red Scarlet said:
2 has fusion right? And is it similar to how it is done in 3 and 4? Did you get any xp bonus in 2 for fusions?
There's no fusion in P2. You just use cards to summon Personas, literally.

KGKK

Banned
Just got the good ending. Man I loved this game. Characters were MUCH MUCH better than P3.
Favourite characters are Kanji and Teddie, loved any scene they were in. Especially Teddie. And awwwww Nanako!!!
I have a seperate save file for the true ending which I will probably clear out next week.
I gotta admit though watching the credits in the good ending made me feel like doing the new game+ right away so I can relive everything.:D

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Basch said:
Just finished this game a couple days ago. Wow was it good. Seriously! The quality in this game was absolutely astonishing. I cannot say enough about this game. Hot stuff. Could possibly be my favorite game yet. Also, the game has some nice writing, which was unexpected. The story is quite enthralling. And the characters... just wow. It really is the ultimate RPG. Sorry FES, but P4 takes the cake. I love how all interconnected all of the events seemed to be. There was only brief bits of filler, most of which was used for character development. And oh my God, what was that crazy art style? DO WANT! I can't wait to start this game again. All the praise is wholly deserved.
It almost feels bad to say this, considering how much I loved P3 and P3:FES, but honestly I don't know how I could go back to them after P4. They were INCREDIBLE games at the time, but P4 improved on them in every conceivable way imo. There is no more reason to ever play P3 for em.

P2 is different enough from the formula that I still want to play it. P1 has just aged incredibly horribly for me. So, basically , P2 (both games) and P4 are the only ones that exist for me anymore.

firex

I actually never had too many problems with the treasure. Regular chests were random crap, but rare chests dropped amazing stuff in the last 2 dungeons.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Error said:
I'm not saying it has to be like P1/2, I'm just saying this formula has got to go and they should do something else for P5.
Man, I disagree completely. Atlus has really found a good formula with the current Persona games and they are a financial and criticial success. I'd be pretty disappointed if they just redid it again (why not just make a new SMT series then?). What I'd rather have is a evolution of the series with expanded S-links, a more open world, etc. Basically a sequel that truely takes advantage of the current gen.

MotherFan

grandjedi6 said:
Man, I disagree completely. Atlus has really found a good formula with the current Persona games and they are a financial and critical success. I'd be pretty disappointed if they just redid it again (why not just make a new SMT series then?). What I'd rather have is a evolution of the series with expanded S-links, a more open world, etc. Basically a sequel that truly takes advantage of the current gen.

Agreed. Such an awesome game, I can't think of anything that released last year that is better than this game. As long as they don't make it exclusive I am happy. Hell, I'm a wii fanboy and I don't even want it to be exclusive there. I want it to be on every console so more people can here and play the greatness that is this formula. A bit of updated graphics would be nice, but more importantly I want them to fine tune the progression, slinks, etc. As for open world, I don't think it is needed, I am fine with the "square fast travel + map" system. I think an open world would take away from the game as travel is a burden with type of gameplay imo (except in dungeons).

KGKK

Banned
Well wherever there next SMT game may be(not counting ports to PSP/DS) its gonna be years before we get it:( Especially a new Persona...

hitoshi

Android18a said:
Yup. My UK copy arrived on Wednesday.

Lucky person you are. As always Game failed to ship it in time. I'm honestly fed up with them, I'll never ever preorder anything from them from now on -I've waited for GTA IV for a week despite the fact that I've preordered it 2 or 3 months before release, just like Persona 4.

firex

I'm pretty sure Persona will have social links from now on, but I really wouldn't expect P5 until later. The way Atlus did P3/P4, I think they're going to wait until they have SMT4 out before they work on P5. It might not even be until the next gen of consoles that we get P5.

Danj

hitoshi said:
Lucky person you are. As always Game failed to ship it in time. I'm honestly fed up with them, I'll never ever preorder anything from them from now on -I've waited for GTA IV for a week despite the fact that I've preordered it 2 or 3 months before release, just like Persona 4.

That's really weird because my copy shipped from GAME on Wednesday and I got it on Thursday.

Yaweee

Red Scarlet said:
So how do you get different ones in it? And they come with a particular set of abilities only?

It was mostly based on the demon conversation system. If you pique a demon's interest, you get a number of their arcana cards based on their level. So, an early demon might give 7 Temperence cards, while one later on might give 63 Magician cards. You can also get blank cards that can be used as anything you want.

Persona are summoned in the velvet room, and each one costs a certain number of cards, all of the same arcana. So... costs might be 20 Magician for one Persona, 380 Star for another.

The minor arcana (wands, cups), are not gotten through regular means, and some persona can only be gotten through accidents.

Some persona require rare items, kind of like how P3/4 ultimates needed their S. Link maxed.

When creating Persona, you can use stat cards and spells cards to modify their abilities, so they aren't always the same. Still not as elaborate as P3/4's fusion system. However, all five party members can change persona, and each character has different compatibilities with each Arcana. The more compatible, the cheaper the costs, and I think higher chance of mutation.

Persona level ups were based on how often you used them, which sucked. This placed too much emphases on triggering mutations and the end of battles, which are gotten by ending fights with multi-person combo attacks. Mutations could give new spells, level two ranks at once, or even morph the persona into a new one.

(Yeah, this post rambled all over the place, but there's a lot of distinct features that needed to be brought up to portray the mechanics. It isn't more or less complicated than P3/4, just fundamentally different.)

EDIT: Black Frost is in your avatar rotation? Doesn't that break the rules?

Red Scarlet

Yaweee said:
It was mostly based on the demon conversation system. If you pique a demon's interest, you get a number of their arcana cards based on their level. So, an early demon might give 7 Temperence cards, while one later on might give 63 Magician cards. You can also get blank cards that can be used as anything you want.

Persona are summoned in the velvet room, and each one costs a certain number of cards, all of the same arcana. So... costs might be 20 Magician for one Persona, 380 Star for another.

The minor arcana (wands, cups), are not gotten through regular means, and some persona can only be gotten through accidents.

Some persona require rare items, kind of like how P3/4 ultimates needed their S. Link maxed.

When creating Persona, you can use stat cards and spells cards to modify their abilities, so they aren't always the same. Still not as elaborate as P3/4's fusion system. However, all five party members can change persona, and each character has different compatibilities with each Arcana. The more compatible, the cheaper the costs, and I think higher chance of mutation.

Persona level ups were based on how often you used them, which sucked. This placed too much emphases on triggering mutations and the end of battles, which are gotten by ending fights with multi-person combo attacks. Mutations could give new spells, level two ranks at once, or even morph the persona into a new one.

(Yeah, this post rambled all over the place, but there's a lot of distinct features that needed to be brought up to portray the mechanics. It isn't more or less complicated than P3/4, just fundamentally different.)

EDIT: Black Frost is in your avatar rotation? Doesn't that break the rules?

Oh, well that's pretty interesting then, since there is a way to customize still.

? all of my rotating ones are from P4 right now.

Er, wow, I'm only two hours in and I'm getting my arse stomped!

First, I fought the
Avenger Knight on like the sixth floor on Yukiko's Castle
. It did insanely high damage, and I had nothing to cure poison with!

Even the normal enemies are much harder than P3. SP seems much more limited, and I got wrecked by this glowing shadow that kept summoning new enemies!

I'm on the first day where you're allowed to choose to go to TV Land. Any tips?

P90

Tranced Shadow said:

First, I fought the

Even the normal enemies are much harder than P3. SP seems much more limited, and I got wrecked by this glowing shadow that kept summoning new enemies!

In my experience the first part of the game is harder than later. Yukiko is an awesome magic user/healer.

Early on, buy lots of pop, especially the one that replenishes SP. TaP soda?

The Double Jump guide is excellent. I recommend it.

Also, of all the Personas, I think Tam Lin is the all-around best with Black Frost a close second. Daisojonu (sp?) and Saturnus are excellent.

Red Scarlet

Tranced Shadow said:

First, I fought the

Poison wears off after battle, and there are some Personas you can make with some free HP/SP restoration that may help the main guy at least. Try to make an Angel, she learns Regenerate 1 naturally to restore some HP if you just defend with 1 enemy still hanging around. I make Sarasvati for SP restoration; she gets Invigorate 2 (5SP per turn), but you have to be level 17 to make her (using Angel with the main guy alone once you can make her would make it a lot more doable to do).

Is the first day that you can get into a dungeon 4/19? That's the day you can make a 4-elemental Sarasvati pretty easily, which makes dungeoning a lot easier, imo.

garath

Tranced Shadow said:

First, I fought the

Level is the key for the first dungeon. If you are under-leveled you will get one shotted or be fighting a losing battle in health (i.e. losing 2/3 or more hp per hit) on the bosses.

I beat the Avenger knight around level 10 and the final boss in the dungeon at level 16. The key for the final boss was having a Beliath w/ Null fire and Maburu (AE ice).

ItsInMyVeins said:
Ugh, I'm nearly 90 hours into the game and I'm still in november. I'm never gonna finish this game :O

you're nearly done.
hang in there.

i might finish up tonight and go for the good ending.
true ending is out since i messed my s.links. :./

Red Scarlet

Post your endgame Personas! I love seeing what other people are using. I posted my 'top 10' 3 pages ago, but it was at the bottom of the page. I'm not at endgame though, just have to wait till May to play again.

Yaweee

KibblesBits said:
you're nearly done.
hang in there.

i might finish up tonight and go for the good ending.
true ending is out since i messed my s.links. :./

You don't need S. Links for the true ending... unless you're doing some insane self-imposed rule. The S. Link epilogues aren't even all that interesting, anyways...

Red Scarlet said:
Post your endgame Personas! I love seeing what other people are using. I posted my 'top 10' 3 pages ago, but it was at the bottom of the page. I'm not at endgame though, just have to wait till May to play again.

For 90% of players, it's going to be an out-of-the-box Trumpeter. Enemy exp in the last dungeon drops off considerably in the seventies, and Persona levels become increasingly sparse. There's not even much of a reason to tweak Persona near the end since there's not really any bonus bosses and the last boss is kind of easy.

Red Scarlet

Yaweee said:
For 90% of players, it's going to be an out-of-the-box Trumpeter. Enemy exp in the last dungeon drops off considerably in the seventies, and Persona levels become increasingly sparse. There's not even much of a reason to tweak Persona near the end since there's not really any bonus bosses and the last boss is kind of easy.

I want to see/read what theirs have anyway!

I don't know if I got to the last dungeon for the normal ending
Heaven/dungeon 6
, but on my file I left at home, Rise and I are lv97 or so
wanted to get abils on some stuff, ditched other party members for that dungeon

johnsmith

remember me
Red Scarlet said:

These are mostly for my new game +.

persona2.jpg

He only exists to debilitate bosses. I don't actually use him to fight.

persona1.jpg

This guy I only use to start battles. My party will start the fight fully buffed, and combined with Daisoyou's debilitate, the first 3 turns are devastating for any boss.

persona3.jpg

This guy is mainly for random fights, Morning Star is the strongest, hit all almighty attack, and Victory Cry will fill up your SP after every fight. Once I do new game +, this guy will ensure I can beat every dungeon in 1 day even without the fox. He's also resistant or nulls everything except ice.

persona4.jpg

This guy serves 2 roles. He is my buffer after the initial auto buffs wear off, and with arms master, power charge, and primal force he is also a great physical attacker, awesome for bosses.

persona5.jpg

This is my healer. Full heal, full HP revive, and all status heals, all while casting spells for half cost. If i take the time to level her she'll get Salvation too.

persona6.jpg

This guy has all 4 AOE elemental dynes. and is strong against everything but physical and wind. Also great for random fights.

persona7.jpg

With Fire Boost, Fire Amp, Mind Charge, and Ragnarok this guy is my main magical attacker on bosses.

So i've got most of my team ready for my new game +. it's going to be a breeze. The only thing I'm still missing is a persona with all 4 single target elemental attacks.

persona9.jpg

This guy I still need to finish leveling too. Hassou Tobi is supposedly one of the best physical attacks, it does 8 light hits to all enemies and is supposed to be good against random fights and bosses. He also has both power charge and arms master. It's also possible to give him debilitate if you fuse him on the 24th, but then you miss out on the Christmas Date.

Red Scarlet

johnsmith said:
These are mostly for my new game +.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/balbanesbeoulve/persona2.jpg
He only exists to debilitate bosses. I don't actually use him to fight.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/balbanesbeoulve/persona1.jpg
This guy I only use to start battles. My party will start the fight fully buffed, and combined with Daisoyou's debilitate, the first 3 turns are devastating for any boss.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/balbanesbeoulve/persona3.jpg
This guy is mainly for random fights, Morning Star is the strongest, hit all almighty attack, and Victory Cry will fill up your SP after every fight. Once I do new game +, this guy will ensure I can beat every dungeon in 1 day even without the fox. He's also resistant or nulls everything except ice.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/balbanesbeoulve/persona4.jpg
This guy serves 2 roles. He is my buffer after the initial auto buffs wear off, and with arms master, power charge, and primal force he is also a great physical attacker, awesome for bosses.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/balbanesbeoulve/persona5.jpg
This is my healer. Full heal, full HP revive, and all status heals, all while casting spells for half cost. If i take the time to level her she'll get Salvation too.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/balbanesbeoulve/persona6.jpg
This guy has all 4 AOE elemental dynes. and is strong against everything but physical and wind. Also great for random fights.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/balbanesbeoulve/persona7.jpg
With Fire Boost, Fire Amp, Mind Charge, and Ragnarok this guy is my main magical attacker on bosses.

So i've got most of my team ready for my new game +. it's going to be a breeze. The only thing I'm still missing is a persona with all 4 single target elemental attacks.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/balbanesbeoulve/persona9.jpg
This guy I still need to finish leveling too. Hassou Tobi is supposedly one of the best physical attacks, it does 8 light hits to all enemies and is supposed to be good against random fights and bosses. He also has both power charge and arms master. It's also possible to give him debilitate if you fuse him on the 24th, but then you miss out on the Christmas Date.

Awesome. I haven't seen Ishtar (I refuse to level Rise up past 3 or 4 until I can max her out on New Game+), but she looks pretty cool. Although she only has Megidola, my Alice is pretty similar to your Helel (random badguy destroyer), but I don't have her best version for me, since I won't get to the Angelic Grace day for a long time. Our Surts are pretty similar, and he was gonna be my magic guy for bosses too. Actually, I don't have 5 of the ones you have even created. :lol

Very cool. The Auto-whatever's affect all party members? I thought it was just the main character, oops.

johnsmith

remember me
There's 2 versions, 1 only affects you, and a better version that affects the entire party. Just how the buffs you cast have 2 versions.

Red Scarlet

johnsmith said:
There's 2 versions, 1 only affects you, and a better version that affects the entire party. Just how the buffs you cast have 2 versions.

Yeah, I guess I just didn't notice all too much. I knew there were the single/all spells of buffs, but didn't pay much attention to the Auto ones. Now I have to wait to make a screencap of Ishtar. :(

My Norn isn't as good as the first one I had (Repel Elec vs Null Elec + Repel Phys), but I'll have Debilitate on her(?), so I'm not really sure if I should learn it for Trumpeter or not. I know he gets it, but I don't know what all abils he gets that I'll want to overwrite. Right now there's only 2 things I'd overwrite on him and he's got...5? abilities left to learn.

Yaweee said:
You don't need S. Links for the true ending... unless you're doing some insane self-imposed rule. The S. Link epilogues aren't even all that interesting, anyways...

yeah, that.

i'm not that bad though. i knew a guy in college who would restart rpgs from the start if he died at all in game. yep, from the start.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I just spent 400,000 yen getting my Empress s. link from rank 1 to rank 10 in one trip to the TV world. I am so damn lazy... :lol :lol

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm getting closer to the end of the game and thought I should focus on leveling some characters up, but I can't decide which ones. What characters did you guys use? Right now I'm leaning toward either Yosuke or Kanji and Yukiko and Naoto.

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm getting closer to the end of the game and thought I should focus on leveling some characters up, but I can't decide which ones. What characters did you guys use? Right now I'm leaning toward either Yosuke or Kanji and Yukiko and Naoto.
My boss-fight team was Yosuke, Chie, and Teddie. Dungeon crawling, almost anyone worked, but Naoto was a mainstay.

Red Scarlet

I want to use just the main character when I get to the fight. On my soon 2nd cycle I am contemplating just using him instead of the characters I haven't used yet (Yosuke/Teddie/Naoto).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RocketDarkness said:
My boss-fight team was Yosuke, Chie, and Teddie.
Same, but swap out Teddie for Yukiko. I had Yuki doing quite a bit of fire damage towards the end with Boost and Amp stacked, plus with Fire Break I didn't have to worry about resistances.

Basch

Wow, I guess I'll mix the party up a bit. MC, Naoto, Kanji, and Teddie made up my final four. I used just about everyone throughout the game so they were all high levels. Took time, but was worth it. I wanted to bring Yukiko instead of Teddie, but I had just got done using her, and I had Kohryu equipped with Salvation and Spellmaster in my pool.

XiaNaphryz said:
Same, but swap out Teddie for Yukiko. I had Yuki doing quite a bit of fire damage towards the end with Boost and Amp stacked, plus with Fire Break I didn't have to worry about resistances.
She's definitely better offensively, but I had Teddie handling Mataru and Maraku duties when he wasn't healing, so it was rarely an issue when he wasn't on buff duty.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RocketDarkness said:
She's definitely better offensively, but I had Teddie handling Mataru and Maraku duties when he wasn't healing, so it was rarely an issue when he wasn't on buff duty.
I didn't really have to worry about buffs as I had some persona that had the Auto buffs on them that affected the whole party, and I preferred having my main handle the buffs anyway since I needed him to do stuff like Debilitate anyway.

Top Bottom