• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Can someone tell me how many more hours I have to go? I'm debating on whether or not to finish this game. I want to go for the true ending though.

I'm about halfway through
Nanako's Dungeon
. I'm about 55 hours in.

Ermac said:
Can someone tell me how many more hours I have to go? I'm debating on whether or not to finish this game. I want to go for the true ending though.

I'm about halfway through
Nanako's Dungeon
. I'm about 55 hours in.
Depends on how you pace yourself. I'd say 10 hours, maybe 15 for grinding.

Assuming you get the true ending.

Just finished this today. I feel like I did in elementary school on the last day before summer holiday.

The music towards the end was so freaking awesome. I'm so glad the game came with the soundtrack CD so I can enjoy The Almighty again.

What a great game.

*sigh* :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
toasty_T said:
Just finished this today. I feel like I did in elementary school on the last day before summer holiday.

The music towards the end was so freaking awesome. I'm so glad the game came with the soundtrack CD so I can enjoy The Almighty again.

What a great game.

*sigh* :(

Just in time for P3P and the P4 cameos. :lol

Red Scarlet

ahaha
chiehug.png

Junpei Heat

I didn't realize how close I was to getting the true ending till after I beat the game and checked how to get it. I wanna get the true ending and junk, it's just that this a really long game.

Hopefully NG+ will make it a tad shorter.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Heaven is teh suck. I kept getting into a fight every fifteen seconds so I never got to hear it completely in-game. Way too inappropriate for a dungeon theme.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Red Scarlet said:
If you don't max the Rise S-link, you can't win the game, Ermac.

Wait really?

Red Scarlet said:
You're going thru the game pretty quickly, believe it or not. Have you maxed many S.Links?

I think like around 4 maybe?

I didn't realize I was moving quickly through the game. I'm going to play some more tonight so I'll post an update.

Also, can someone tell me the spoiler-free method of getting the True Ending?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
STEAAAK!!!!!!!!

Ermac said:
Wait really?

Naw, but your soul will feel empty and lifeless!

I think like around 4 maybe?

I didn't realize I was moving quickly through the game. I'm going to play some more tonight so I'll post an update.

Also, can someone tell me the spoiler-free method of getting the True Ending?

The "true" trick is to try to max out all the links, but you don't need to do them all I suppose and it's neigh impossible to get them all on your first run without some crafty scheduling (ie, getting dreams).

From a gamefaqs thread, the true ending path is:
1) On 3/20, talk to every social link that you have maxed.
2) When asked if you want to go home choose no
3) Go to Junes elevation again, and choose no again when asked if you want to go home.
4) When asked if you'd like to go to the food court for one more time choose yes and initiate an event at the food court.
5) Go to the floodplain and talk to Ryoutaro
6) Go to Velvet Room and talk to Igor, obtain the Orb of View
7) Go back to talk to the staff at the gasoline stand.
8) You can now enter the hidden dungeon in the food court.

It's spoiler free because it's more game triggers than story event. Yes, you can technically figure out that something is up, but I feel like the game assumes you'll want to do #4 on that list without actually pointing you in that direction.

Sort of like the whole "true killer" questionnaire.

Regulus Tera said:
Heaven is teh suck. I kept getting into a fight every fifteen seconds so I never got to hear it completely in-game. Way too inappropriate for a dungeon theme.

I never had that problem... and it fit with the whole Nanako thing anyway.

Red Scarlet said:
NG+ isn't as fun. :( It seems cool then you just realllllllly get annoyed with how much less there is to do (to me, anyway).

It's good if you want to just go back and see something, like going back to do the other sports/arts club S-link. Although, I still haven't seen some of the hilarious love triangle stuff because it's just a bit too fine grain to do and the obon festival dates are kind of annoying to plan for (either don't do an S-link with Sun or try to get a high S-link with Moon? Ack). No one has put up the Yumi version of that date on youtube yet either!

Oh yeah, speaking of youtube, but has anyone seen some of the cut stuff that someone found and posted on youtube?
Hah, I just checked and not only did the guy post some of the extra content, he went ahead and made his own S-link cutscenes!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dunkelzahn1

Watch if you want to S-link with Adachi. :lol

Hy_

Regulus Tera said:

Song is so good, I would avoid combat.

Uncle AJ

Yeah Heaven didn't exactly get me pumped for battle.

And I always felt that the music for the Yukiko and Naoto dungeons should be swapped.

Dresden

I liked Heaven. Hell, I liked everything about that dungeon. The music, the setting, even the boss, although by that point everything was a bit too easy.

Dresden said:
I liked Heaven. Hell, I liked everything about that dungeon. The music, the setting, even the boss, although by that point everything was a bit too easy.

Seriously.

I especially loved that it was a dungeon that
perfectly fit the situations of two separate people despite their completely different issues. The song that plays there is fits perfectly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, it's meant to be a sad level so they went with a more low key song.

Going through the cut stuff again and I don't remember seeing some of these.
Yukiko - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBbQ5V_rrI&feature=related
Probably the interesting thing here is that at some point, there were consequences for being a man-slut. I guess they took it out because people playing the game want the harem. :lol

Chie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FVqdQQJmZg
What's interesting here is that her rank 9 event depends on a rainy day... Maybe they planned to have rainy-day only s-link events before realizing that players would rather use rainy days for dungeon runs/fishing.

Also, as I played as a man-slut, I never went the "friend zone" route. I never knew they'd run away if you turned them down.

Someone also managed to dump Chihiro into the main game among other things:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dunkelzahn1#p/u/2/idsszs1F0HA

Secret Base > Heaven (say NO to grunty-whiney vocals parading as "soulful"!)

firehawk12 said:
Chie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FVqdQQJmZg
What's interesting here is that her rank 9 event depends on a rainy day... Maybe they planned to have rainy-day only s-link events before realizing that players would rather use rainy days for dungeon runs/fishing.

Wow. Those were...way better than the release 9th. Blunter and more in-line with her character and all.

So I started playing P3 FES almost immediately after finishing 4 and the improvements made in 4 make this a hard game to play. P4 has one of the slickest interfaces of any games I've ever played, P3 is complete shite in comparison. I hate that I have to talk to my party members to change their equipment and not being able to see what the abilities do outside of battle is annoying (good thing I know what they do already). Also not being able to control my party members, stupid Mitsuru charming enemies that'll probably die on the next turn and if she gets the charm off the rest of the party attacks the docile enemy instead of the hostile one next to it.

Does Tarturus begin to look more interesting higher up? So far it is quite bland and ascending feels like a chore. The lack of save points is another pain in the ass on the event nights.

It's pretty enjoyable so far

Dresden

toasty_T said:
So I started playing P3 FES almost immediately after finishing 4 and the improvements made in 4 make this a hard game to play. P4 has one of the slickest interfaces of any games I've ever played, P3 is complete shite in comparison. I hate that I have to talk to my party members to change their equipment and not being able to see what the abilities do outside of battle is annoying (good thing I know what they do already). Also not being able to control my party members, stupid Mitsuru charming enemies that'll probably die on the next turn and if she gets the charm off the rest of the party attacks the docile enemy instead of the hostile one next to it.

Does Tarturus begin to look more interesting higher up? So far it is quite bland and ascending feels like a chore. The lack of save points is another pain in the ass on the event nights.

It's pretty enjoyable so far
Keep in mind that Persona 3 is REALISTIC AND STUFF. LIKE THE JOURNEY UP TARTARUS IS A METAPHOR FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE HERO. HE HAS TO LEARN TO TRUST THOSE AROUND HIM IN ORDER TO SUCCEED, SO HE CAN'T GIVE THEM ORDERS EXCEPT FOR GENERALIZED COMMANDS, AND HE HAS TO TALK TO THEM INDIVIDUALLY TO EQUIP ITEMS BECAUSE THEIR VIRTUALNESS MUST BE RESPECTED BY THE PLAYER. Unlike the man-slut in Persona 4 who basically owns the hearts and souls of everyone that works with him.

I'm not being too serious, by the way.

Red Scarlet

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't mind going back and forth between 4 and 3, but yeah, quite a few things in 4 made it a lot more streamlined than in 3. Especially (for me), how you can't rearrange personas in your inventory without ditching them then rebuying them in the order you want them to be. Eventually it will either piss you off to the point of quitting, or you'll probably deal with it but still be annoyed. Hopefully it is the latter.

I love both games though! Just went through the answer not too long ago.

Dresden said:
Unlike the man-slut in Persona 4 who basically owns the hearts and souls of everyone that works with him.

:lol

I rather liked how the rest of my party were basically my henchmen, taking mortal blows for me and somehow surviving even though I had the highest HP out of everyone. I really miss that actually since I've taken about 10 big hits to the main character and lost what would amount to about 3 hours of game time.

This might be slightly off topic but where are all the S-link characters in P3? I heard there were more than 4, so far my party doesn't want to hang with me (almost July) and I've only got 5 from school.

Speaking of s-links, I wonder what everyone would think if I told them I was only befriending them and listening to their problems them so I could fuse stronger personas. It all seems very disingenuous.

Uncle AJ

I heard enough "Mitsuru just casts charm" complaints to convince me to wait for P3P. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the hell out of it 3 years ago, but I'm not losing sleep over it. Plus it gives me an excuse to finally replace my ancient PSP that can't even hold an hour's worth of battery life anymore.

Also: how does this thread keep appearing on the front page in 2010? :lol This game is going to be legendary.

Red Scarlet

I try to use the other party members as little as possible, eventually only on boss fights while I do the dungeoning alone..with Lilim. And Alice. Cause they rock.

Uncle AJ

Red Scarlet said:
I try to use the other party members as little as possible, eventually only on boss fights while I do the dungeoning alone..with Lilim. And Alice. Cause they rock.

Someday you're gonna have to explain your fascination with video game chars that look like innocent girls but are actually homicidal psychopaths to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Red Scarlet said:
infinite9.png

That character archetype just makes me laugh, pretty much. I mean, who expects Little Red Riding Hood to use a bazooka on you?

I love how you saved infinite's avatar. If you're not careful, it'll become a GAF meme. :lol

Red Scarlet

Well I saved it because I remade it a little clearer, and just never deleted it.

I don't know who it is either, just seems to be some random character the guy that drew my avatar also drew.

Anyway, I've reverted to P4 L4D2 again.

Do the Risedance.

matmanx1

50'ish hours into P4 now after putting it down for a couple of months. The more I play it the more I appreciate the changes they made since P3 and the more I look forward to P3 Portable.

Oh and it's awesome how this thread is on the 2nd page in mid 2010. Good games never die!

dekjo

Yeah, seeing this thread keep getting bumped makes me want to finally get around to doing a New Game + while watching the Endurance Run. Want to finish up FES first though, which I'm just about to do. Kind of want to do a FES New Game + too, but think a break from it might make it more enjoyable.

firex

I got bored of the endurance run around the time they got to the 6th dungeon but it was cool until then. And it's not even really bad or anything, I just felt like I'd watched too much of it by then.

I actually like the new game+ but it was way way way too easy in P4. It's even easier in P3, but the one thing I like about it is it takes out the social stat grinding (if you max all of the stats your first time) so some of those early responses where you need higher courage or whatever are easy to pick. And it keeps you from getting blocked from working on Nanako and Dojima's links, which are my two favorite ones in the game.

ampere

firehawk12 said:
I love how you saved infinite's avatar. If you're not careful, it'll become a GAF meme. :lol
Way too late :lol

Red Scarlet said:
I'm probably one of the few that doesn't mind going back and forth between 4 and 3, but yeah, quite a few things in 4 made it a lot more streamlined than in 3. Especially (for me), how you can't rearrange personas in your inventory without ditching them then rebuying them in the order you want them to be. Eventually it will either piss you off to the point of quitting, or you'll probably deal with it but still be annoyed. Hopefully it is the latter.

I love both games though! Just went through the answer not too long ago.

I'm a little worried about being to accustomed to the updates that 4 made to go back when the PSP version of 3 comes out. I played (and loved) FES a few years ago but I'm wondering if I'll be able to enjoy it again.

Red Scarlet

After a while hopefully you become accustomed to how 3 operates. I was all wtf ahh for a couple hours then it wasn't a big deal anymore. But not everyone works that way.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Playing on pcsx2 a few weeks ago I got all the way to tenjou rakudo before I stupidly deleted my memory card files. I actually cried. (also lost my 80 hour Ar Tonelico 1/2, Disgaea, and Dragon Quest saves D: )

I think I'm finally ready to dive back in and finish this. Just gotta remember to back up my cards like a madman this time. :lol ..... :(

*mashes buttons for an hour to get through the first couple weeks*

Top Bottom