• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Of course, if you get into the collecting of persona, like I did, you might end up grinding a bit just to get to that next level and get that next Persona.

Volcynika said:
Going to pick it up now :D
Lucky bastard. :lol

Tamanon said:
Easy mode is the same as normal mode, it just gives you 10 items that allow you to resurrect yourself and your party if you lose the battle. You don't really have to grind, the game's more about having and using the right personas, not levels.

really? then everyone should play on easy

Tamanon

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I just got it from UPS now! :D Is there anything you got for preordering besides the artbook? Is the rest inside the gamecase itself I guess?

Nothing else. Everyone gets a soundtrack, that's in the case.

Tamanon said:
Nothing else. Everyone gets a soundtrack, that's in the case.

Cool. Hopefully they have those social link packs available again soon. Debating whether I should finish playing sonic or start this game... I didn't beat FES yet is that a problem? Or is it loosely connected like previous games?

So I probably won't be able to find Persona 4 here in Toronto today? I don't know why I'm so excited about picking it up since I still have 3 to play through.:lol :lol

atomsk

Party Pooper
my copy should be here in the next day or so from amazon. they always project later that it usually comes (in this case, they say the 11th), but the distro center is close by.

then again, it's the holidays, so who knows.

Blackjack

elbkhm said:
What are the differences between Normal and Expert?
If it's like FES, enemies do slightly more damage and compendium costs are much higher.

So it's really more "annoying" mode than "hard" mode, but I still will play it. :lol

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
birdchili said:
jon bones: i didn't feel like you needed to grind in p3 on "normal", though i did do quite a bit of side-questing and the optional dungeon at the end (which surely made the final boss about a billion times simpler).

i'm pretty sure you'd be grind-free on "easy" as long as you're actually engaging with the game systems and party/persona-building outside of combat (having the right party setup is more important than any particularly elaborate combat strategy, actually).
Tamanon said:
Easy mode is the same as normal mode, it just gives you 10 items that allow you to resurrect yourself and your party if you lose the battle. You don't really have to grind, the game's more about having and using the right personas, not levels.

Fuckkk, you guys are doing an excellent job of selling this game to me :lol

epmode

Tamanon said:
The game is absolutely about grinding. At least, it is if you're trying to create custom personae(?) with specific skills. You could probably get through it without spending much time on this but you're really missing out on the appeal of the series.

SMT games are not beginner RPGs.

You know what I hate more then anything? That I can't drive to the UPS facility and do a pick up. I just tracked my shipment and it's sitting in Doraville right now, which is a mere 30 minutes away. I would gladly drive those extra 30 minutes to take it off their hands now so I could play it and improve this awful day I'm having, but instead it's gotta sit in a warehouse over night while I sit here Persona-less. So close, yet so far!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I don't really know WHY I preordered that stupid "expansion" pack, but both of my Amazon orders just shipped. Game and "expansion" are on their way. Woo.

I really need to install FES one of these days. :(

gondwana

Just got the Official Design Works artbook from Amazon. I don't often buy these for games, but this is very nice; the colors are vivid, print quality is great, cover has that touchy feel. I don't want to be spoilard to death, so I guess I'll look through this more as I get farther into the game.

elbkhm

Blackjack said:
If it's like FES, enemies do slightly more damage and compendium costs are much higher.

So it's really more "annoying" mode than "hard" mode, but I still will play it. :lol
Well, making them do more damage is better than just giving them more HP... but increased compendium costs sounds pretty awful. I'll probably stick with Normal in that case.

Blackjack

Man, Chie's voice is about 1000 times better than in those few videos on the official site.

And I was one of the people that liked it on those, too! :D

Evlar

Banned
Called Gamestop, they have my pre-order and the Double Jump guide. Heading over now. :D This should (finally) be my last game purchase of the year.

Amazon has informed me that my order has shipped, and should be arriving on Friday.

Just in time for me to get home from finishing my finals, too.:D

Evlar said:
Called Gamestop, they have my pre-order and the Double Jump guide. Heading over now. :D This should (finally) be my last game purchase of the year.

Same here. Here's hoping that they give me the guide to think it was part of the preorder :lol.

2DMention

Banned
birdchili said:
it's a jrpg. you don't actually get to *play* the first hour:)

good luck to all yous who are juggling priorities with for reals exams.

If you spend a few minutes studying your notes every day, you shouldn't have to spend all night studying for exams.

birdchili

epmode said:
The game is absolutely about grinding. At least, it is if you're trying to create custom personae(?) with specific skills. You could probably get through it without spending much time on this but you're really missing out on the appeal of the series.
i disagree. you *have* to create custom personae, but you're going to be doing this constantly *without having to grind*. it's really important that you pay attention to skills, and that any fusion doesn't leave you with a glaring hole in your abilities, but this is just part of the core gameplay. the game doesn't need to be about reading a guide and building the uber-team. it's about beating the challenges the game dishes out with the tools available to you.

it's not a game you can just blast through for the "story". you need to figure out the game bits to be successful.

epmode said:
SMT games are not beginner RPGs.
i do kind-of agree with this, but i'd say that p3 was pretty accessible overall. there's a lot of inter-dependent systems, but it's not overwhelming.

Joule

Blackjack said:
Man, Chie's voice is about 1000 times better than in those few videos on the official site.

And I was one of the people that liked it on those, too! :D
Well that's good to hear. I liked it enough but the samples didn't really show enough.

baphometbones said:
You know what I hate more then anything? That I can't drive to the UPS facility and do a pick up.
You can't? FEDEX has let me do that in the past. It wasnt for a game, but that shouldn't make much of a difference.

Costanza

Banned
NichM, was this meant to be a GAF reference? :lol :lol :lol

wslb3n.jpg

referring to this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11960243&postcount=1766

mollipen

For anybody who hasn't checked out my stuff in the Dec issue of Play yet (and man, no mention in the OP?), I just posted an expanded version of the review on our site. (Direct link here.) I will warn you - my already long review kind of ballooned to almost 3,500 words. *heh*

HiResDes

Kotaku Review Up
Kotaku said:
Persona 4 is Persona 3 with a murder mystery factored into the equation of high school dating sim plus dungeon crawler divided by Pokemon.

Let’s not waste time arguing that Persona 4 is fundamentally different than its predecessor, because it isn’t – and nobody said that was a bad thing. Instead, think about the pros and cons of the game in terms of dusting off your PlayStation 2; because that’s the biggest challenge the game presents: Finding space on the surge protector to plug in your outdated console.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
WTF?!

Goozex has the deluxe edition for 600 points and the regular edition for 700... any idea on why that is, guys?

Top Bottom