• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

ChrisGoldstein said:
Is this game noob friendly? I suck at rpgs but thought vesperia was excellent

I've been playing on Normal difficulty, but I'd imagine it'd be alright for someone who 'sucks' on Beginner.

As long as you don't mind waiting 2 hours to actually get to play the game.

If you're alright with that, it's definitely worth a shot.

Tetsuo9

ChrisGoldstein said:
Is this game noob friendly? I suck at rpgs but thought vesperia was excellent
Maybe if you are new to Shin Megami tensei games you will find it a little difficult at first, but if you read the manual and ask here for advices I think you will be ok.

Kagari said:
Oh god. My save file almost corrupted but then I tried reloading and it was fine... D:

Same thing happened to me too. Gave me quite a scare too since I put 14 hours into the game already. I'm playing on a 60GB PS3. Anyone else doing it might want to keep two saves just in case. =\

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Kevtones said:
Fuck, I'm playing on a 60 gig PS3 and what happened exactly to cause the almost corrupt save thing?

Occasionally when you try to save your game instead of giving the Save Successful message you'll get a message that the save failed. When it fails it's pretty obvious, because it'll dump you back to the main save screen so you can try again instead of automatically taking you back to the game. As long as you get the message that the save succeeded you're golden.

Persona 3 had the same glitch. It's just an oddity of the way the games save when you're playing them on a PS3 and it's easily avoidable as long as you pay attention. And even if you don't pay attention it's pretty hard to miss.

ixix said:
Occasionally when you try to save your game instead of giving the Save Successful message you'll get a message that the save failed. When it fails it's pretty obvious, because it'll dump you back to the main save screen so you can try again instead of automatically taking you back to the game. As long as you get the message that the save succeeded you're golden.

Persona 3 had the same glitch. It's just an oddity of the way the games save when you're playing them on a PS3 and it's easily avoidable as long as you pay attention. And even if you don't pay attention it's pretty hard to miss.

I'm playing on an 80GB PS3 and I've had the Save Failed/Load Failed/File Corrupted messages 12 times so far. I won't lie, I still get really, really scared every time I see that message.

Darkman M

drtomoe123 said:
I'm playing on an 80GB PS3 and I've had the Save Failed/Load Failed/File Corrupted messages 12 times so far. I won't lie, I still get really, really scared every time I see that message.

Yep, this is why i make multiple save files every time i save.

Durante

I'm near the end of the 2nd dungeon and so far I'm really loving it. They did a great job getting rid of many of the most repetitive/annoying aspects of P3 (eg. by implementing the quick travel system and making many of the char stat increases bound to actual s-link events). The battle system for normal encounters is still rather simplistic IMHO (basically it's always the same once you have figured out the weaknesses/strengths of an enemy), but at least it's fast. The graphics improvements are tangible and the UI design still oozes style.

Also, new avatar get!

Yaweee

Level 40 spoilers:

What happened to my shuffle time? =( =( =( =(

I hate hate hate the Slot variant, but Memory is nice.

yeah, I got that a few times as well. I ended up making a brand new virtual PS2 card just for saves for this game, and haven't seen it since.

but yeah, I'm making multiple saves here just in case for backup.

Volcynika

Durante said:
I'm near the end of the 2nd dungeon and so far I'm really loving it. They did a great job getting rid of many of the most repetitive/annoying aspects of P3 (eg. by implementing the quick travel system and making many of the char stat increases bound to actual s-link events). The battle system for normal encounters is still rather simplistic IMHO (basically it's always the same once you have figured out the weaknesses/strengths of an enemy), but at least it's fast. The graphics improvements are tangible and the UI design still oozes style.

Also, new avatar get!

CHIE WON'T STOP JUMPING. SHE'S GOTTA RUN OUT OF ENERGY SOMETIME!

Holy shit! No one told me I should max my party S Links as fast as I could! Fuck that stuck up Moon bitch, I'm going for broke with every single of my party members.

Tamanon

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Holy shit! No one told me I should max my party S Links as fast as I could! Fuck that stuck up Moon bitch, I'm going for broke with every single of my party members.

While it certainly helps in battle for a character to just not have a weakness, a lot of the party S. Links are raised in different ways that make spreading them out better. It's a balance, I think I'll end the game with all but 3 or 4 S. Links finished. Still don't have enough Understanding, even in November, to start Tower:(

Yaweee

Though it's only a local TV channel/webpage, Game Guys / ABC10 reviewed it. Probably won't get counted on Metacritic, though.
There is honestly nothing bad to be said about Persona 4 and the Game Guys recommend this game to just about anybody with a Playstation 2. Persona 4 is rated "M" for mature by the ESRB and we're grading it our first-ever "A+".

A Google News search is also listing a user review from IGN, from the user wiisuckslol

I think Google needs to work on their news filter.

Tamanon

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I was up until 4 AM playing :\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I had to force myself to stop near 2, since a show was coming on. I kept finding something small to top off beforehand, like going in and testing the new dungeon for a floor, or fusing new personas since I leveled up in that dungeon. So much stuff to do in the game.:lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Tamanon said:
I had to force myself to stop near 2, since a show was coming on. I kept finding something small to top off beforehand, like going in and testing the new dungeon for a floor, or fusing new personas since I leveled up in that dungeon. So much stuff to do in the game.:lol
"Oh, just one more floor. Then I'll stop because the boss is on the next floor."
"You know, I should just fight the boss. I will just level for a little bit before I go."
"Well now that I'm leveled, I know what personas I need, so I should work on some s-links."
"Damn, the boss beat me. I should just go to bed."
"You know who likes boss fights? David Putty. *picks up ps3 controller*"

Repeat four five hours.

Durante

I don't like using faqs/guides, but I have one question: am I right in assuming that doing anything other than the super-bowl-eating-challenge on most rainy afternoons is a waste of time? At least as long as you haven't maxed (or even come close to maxing) any of your characteristics.

Volcynika

Durante said:
I don't like using faqs/guides, but I have one question: am I right in assuming that doing anything other than the super-bowl-eating-challenge on most rainy afternoons is a waste of time? At least as long as you haven't maxed (or even come close to maxing) any of your characteristics.

Most social links and other things are usually not even available on rainy days, so most likely.

(Too lazy to look through the guide now)

Fine

Guys it's in my house but it's a Christmas present so I have to wait. :(

That and I haven't started FES, which I want to finish before P4.

Volcynika said:
Most social links and other things are usually not even available on rainy days, so most likely.

I've been using them to study in the library as that gives me a bonus to my knowledge gain.

Volcynika

crowphoenix said:
I've been using them to study in the library as that gives me a bonus to my knowledge gain.

Yeah, eating at the restaurant/studying at night are much more beneficial on rainy days. Either that, or just use it for some dungeon exploring to get some more monies. Freakishly expensive items!

Yaweee

Volcynika said:

On Rainy Days...

-Studying in the Library gives double Knowledge
-Rarer Fish spawn
-Rare enemies spawn in dungeons
-Enemies drop Rare materials (separate than the previous fact? I don't know)
-The item shop has a sale
-Beef Bowl Challenge increases 3 stats
-You can turn in a Hermit S. Link if you've completed the quest.
-Sun S. Link is available, as it's always indoors. (read: don't waste sunny days on it?)

And rainy nights...
-No changes to S. Link
-You can fish.
-Studying is improved.

Volcynika

Yaweee said:
On Rainy Days...

-Studying in the Library gives double Knowledge
-Rarer Fish spawn
-Rare enemies spawn in dungeons
-Enemies drop Rare materials (separate than the previous fact? I don't know)
-The item shop has a sale
-Beef Bowl Challenge increases 3 stats
-You can turn in a Hermit S. Link if you've completed the quest.
-Sun S. Link is available, as it's always indoors.

When do quests become available? I still have to beat the first real boss (have two Personas almost good to go,
One has Red Wall, one has Media
) and I wants to go questing!

Yaweee

Volcynika said:
When do quests become available? I still have to beat the first real boss (have two Personas almost good to go,
One has Red Wall, one has Media
) and I wants to go questing!

Sometime after the first dungeon, you get to go somewhere special on a Sunday.

Majmun

I don't like the dungeon lay-out without the access/exit points.
So shitty designed. What if you don't have an expensive bailout item?
Yeah, you'll have to run to the exit point.

MEH!!!

I liked P3's concept much better with the access/exit points and especially the SP/HP heal when you exit the dungeon.

I'm still on my second dungeon and I like the game so far. But I think it'll get really frustrating later on due to those misses...

Volcynika

Second said:

MEH!!!

I liked P3's concept much better with the access/exit points and espeically the SP/HP heal when you exit the dungeon.

I'm still on my second dungeon and I like the game so far. But I think it'll get really frustrating later on due to those misses...

Unless you're spending tons and tons of money, buy an exit item. They aren't too overly expensive when I can do a normal run through the first dungeon and come back easily with at least 12K worth of stuff. And the dungeons are smaller (or at least seem that way), so they're not hard to trek through.

Durante

Yaweee said:
On Rainy Days...
I knew about double knowledge, but that is still clearly worse than 3 stat raises. I also knew about the sale, but you can always use that, regardless of what you "do" that day.

I did not know about the rare enemies/items, thanks for that.

Oh, one more for the list:
- The Super Croquette is in stock

Second said:
What? It costs about as much as you earn in 1 battle in the second dungeon... I haven't once left a dungeon by running back.

Yaweee

Oh, you can also waste a day on the vending machine that only works on Rainy days, but I've never gotten anything good. Don't waste your time.

Yaweee

Second said:
900y is quite much for a bailout. I'd rather walk back.

600 on a rainy day. The save spot before the dungeon boss acts as an access point, you can get the spell Traesto, and, seriously, you get more than 600y per battle when you account for the item drops.

Second said:

MEH!!!

I liked P3's concept much better with the access/exit points and especially the SP/HP heal when you exit the dungeon.

Dude, those items are like 8 bucks. You only need one a run, and there is no way you aren't making enough to go pick one up. Just go grab a couple. Plus, there is a warp down if you make it to the end of the dungeon.

Durante

I'm only in the second dungeon and I just spent 10000+ on healing so that I don't have to use another day for the boss. I really don't see the problem with 600/900 for a bailout.

Second said:
900y is quite much for a bailout. I'd rather walk back.

the bailout item also allows you to jump back in at the floor you bailed out on when you come back the next day or whenever, rather than walking back up 3 or 4 or 5 floors or whatever.

it's absolute lunacy not to use one, since as another poster pointed out, it costs about as much as you get from 1 to 2 battles.

Majmun

I didn't knew the item was cheaper during rainy days. Going to grab a few then.

And I didn't knew I could get back to the place where I used the item.

I guess my ranty post can be kinda ignored now. Going to continue my playthrough...

Nice, I got pretty lucky and beat the first optional boss at level 18. Had to use a diamond wall and a couple revival beads but I did it.

That was satisfying.

Yaweee

Summer break is so much nicer than it was in P3. There are... what, 8ish S. Links available? I beat the dungeon on the first day again, and after a bit of fusing and compenduming, it's time to make fucktons of S. Link progress.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Global economic meltdown must have hit persona 4. Yen is suffering from strong deflation if 600/900 yen is an expensive bailout item :lol

japanese government to bail out the "otherworld" with free bailouts

Does Japan have some strict laws on booze or something? A 16 year old kid in a rural town and he refuses to drink at his first chance because he's still a minor?!

TheExodu5

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Does Japan have some strict laws on booze or something? A 16 year old kid in a rural town and he refuses to drink at his first chance because he's still a minor?!

It's more of a question of honor I think.

Majmun

Why do personae from P3 still have the same art-design in P4?
Quite a letdown. I expected some new cool art from the creatures...

Top Bottom