• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

I'm just gonna sell all the somas I get

I get that this is a dungeon crawler and you are to tackle a dungeon over several days (while your friends keep asking you to go back every single day) but this game pads a lot. Oh the thing you need is next doors but you need a key which is inside a room that needs another sort of key for which you need to backtrack and face the enemies you already faced since they respawn.

I would have liked it if the dungeons were shorter because they end up feeling boring halfway through as it's the same shit over and over again. I hated the procedural dungeons in previous games and they had a good idea with the way they're done here and their themes but it kind of still falls flat imo.

Yeah, the first dungeon definitely went on for too long. I really enjoyed the design and I particularly loved the way it was filled with optional shortcuts (in addition to safe room teleporting) you could unlock - it was almost like something out of a From Soft game - but the time Morgana said "I think we're about halfway there" I felt like the dungeon should've ended.

Hope the dungeons don't start getting increasingly longer with more and more keys to find.

haolee

Neo Member
I thought Futaba's English VA was the worst... Until Haru shows up. Good lord. It's like they got bored auditioning VAs for the main party halfway through. The fact that everyone else have great VAs make these two even more jarring.

I imagine it's to prevent people from clearing the dungeons in one day like the previous games. Now you'll definitely need like 3 days to pull it off.

Tunoku

I imagine it's to prevent people from clearing the dungeons in one day like the previous games. Now you'll definitely need like 3 days to pull it off.

You can probably do it with SP healing items and
you learn how to make those if you level up Sojiro's S-Link.

aravuus

I've got some bad news for you...

Yeah well... Not like I'm surprised. Has there ever been a JRPG where dungeons didn't get longer and increasingly complex to the point of absurdity later on?

Wouldn't be surprised if the later dungeons actually took me less time to finish than the first, though. Really took my time learning the systems, being careful as fuck and, well.. Failing all the time.

I actually managed to reach the treasure in one night, though it did get insanely intense towards the end. Now I'm working towards anything and everything that'll help me regain SP in the dungeons during my free time, so I'm hoping I'll be able to do the same with the other dungeons too.

Anoxida

Floor 3 sounds pretty early so I guess it's not the puzzle with the
Guillotines blocking the way
. You need to
check all the rooms for books, there is also a library where you can put in the missing books, you need 3 of them and you will know which one fits where once you ready the description of the other books in that section.

Yep I think this is it. I got whats necessary. Is the place I need to go on floor 3?

You can probably do it with SP healing items and
you learn how to make those if you level up Sojiro's S-Link.

Yeah I only found out about the benefits of that confidant... been kicking myself for ignoring it.

Another overlooked confidant is the
Moon
, dem EXP bonuses...

Jintor

well, futaba sounds weird in japanese too, so maybe it's just one of those things

man volley teacher has such a giant-ass chin. dude is motherfucking charisma man

Okay, everyone. Time to confess: never played a recent Persona game (3 or 4) but was always a bit intrigued by the series. Is 5 approachable for newcomers? I know Atlus has been known to make devilishly hard games so is this series similar? I am still playing through Zelda but I am preparing myself for the next game in my queue. It's admittedly between Persona 5 and Horizon. I don't feel so inclined to double dip for Mario Kart 8.

Opa-Pa

Just finished a rather long play session, and so far I'm very, very pleased!

As a long-time fan I expected something great, but I still have my doubts... Namely story and characters, but I'm right at the end of the first dungeon and so far everything's been excellent. Story is intriguing and quite darker than I expected, yet not edgy, which is appreciated. Characters are pretty compelling too, I didn't expect to like Ryuji (I'm expecting him to get Yosuke tier annoying when it comes to girls at some point, but still).

Also god damn, gameplay is ace, it's kinda annoying how understated this is because I read a handful of reviews pull off the typical "it's more of the same, not that that's bad!" nonsense when so much has been added and tweaked. Batton pass and demon negotiation a lot change everything, and the scale of the dungeons (which are extremely fun and honestly some of the best I've seen in a turn based RPG) makes SP and item management crucial, not to mention you simply can't best them in one day anymore (not that easily anyway), which I personally I'm thankful for.

Hell, even difficulty balance is surprisingly good. I made it till the last stretch while playing on hard, but decided to try normal and they're not that different. I may even stick to normal since it's challenging enough.

Music is obviously fantastic too. I didn't dig the normal battle theme much at first, but it's grown on me.

But yeah I'm enjoying this a lot. Truly worth the wait!

Jintor

Okay, everyone. Time to confess: never played a recent Persona game (3 or 4) but was always a bit intrigued by the series. Is 5 approachable for newcomers? I know Atlus has been known to make devilishly hard games so is this series similar? I am still playing through Zelda but I am preparing myself for the next game in my queue. It's admittedly between Persona 5 and Horizon. I don't feel so inclined to double dip for Mario Kart 8.

a) go play nier first

b) then persona 5 because fuck yes it's approachable

Raybunny

I'm just gonna sell all the somas I get

Yeah, the first dungeon definitely went on for too long. I really enjoyed the design and I particularly loved the way it was filled with optional shortcuts (in addition to safe room teleporting) you could unlock - it was almost like something out of a From Soft game - but the time Morgana said "I think we're about halfway there" I felt like the dungeon should've ended.

Hope the dungeons don't start getting increasingly longer with more and more keys to find.

Good I wasn't alone with that feeling, I also like how the other party members are annoyed by how big the dungeon is :D

The 1st dungeon felt really really long. On the second one when Morgana said "we are half way through" well he/she was not wrong. So that I ended up finishing it in 4 days and then focused on leveling my stats and improve my relashionships for the rest of the due time. Cannot say anything regarding the next ones. I will see about that soon.

My first Persona game and loving it. So far nothing felt out of pace or tied with the previous titles (regarding story).

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, this game is going to be fucking GOOD. I'm only a few hours in, so I'm barely scratching the surface, but I can already tell. It has everything you want from a Persona game with amazing presentation, an interesting story, good characters, and some nice dungeon improvements.

haolee

Neo Member
well, futaba sounds weird in japanese too, so maybe it's just one of those things

Futaba sounds great in the Japanese VA. Almost stole the show from the other cast, IMO. There's a subtle nuance to her voice pitch that's lacking in the English VA.

Jintor

oh i'm not disagreeing she's great, but she has a really unique voice and i can see how they might have missed the mark pretty easily.

excited to find out

It has never been more approachable than it is now. 'Tutorials' are appropriately paced. Persona in general are 'easier' than SMT games.

suracity

I played on normal. I can say with confidence you can go through all the dungeons within one day(edit: just to be precise, sometimes there are story related bottlenecks but you can run through the dungeon until the story forces you out in a single run) at least on normal.

And the game opens up you will have many ways to get SP recovery items. There are also SP recovery skills. You all will be fine.

Gestahl

Actually, I think there's a problem with how the situation was portrayed because of some translations.

I know some will be some disagreement with it but the issue lies with what happens after you hit Tokyo. The MC heads to his new home and
meets Sojiro. After they goe upstairs, Sojiro goes over how the situation as he knows it. The way this part is translated makes it look like it was reported that the MC stopped an attempted rape on the women and the badguy used his political influence to make the MC look bad. How I understood it based off the JP script was that it was reported that the MC assaulted a guy that was hitting on/trying to be friendly to a woman.

It's a very important distinction because everyone in the game think he just assaulted a guy for no reason. However, if it was reported that he stopped an attempted rape, it doesn't make sense that anyone would treat him like a pariah. But they would treat him like shit if they thought he was just being an ass to a guy for no legitimate reason.

Uhh
Sojiro
absolutely knows what happened in the JP version and is laying out the MC's side of events there. He says
男に言い寄られてる女を庇って、男が怪我して、訴えられた
which is absolutely not the "official" reporting of events that would have been made since
Shidou makes the woman tell the cops that Joker suddenly attacked him and would never have let him protecting a woman be in the official documents or reporting. Forced is maybe strong wording but it's clear that the woman wanted nothing to do with the guy in the scenario

FHIZ

So for those who've played more, I've only gotten to the point where the first two social links open up. When the game gets going past this, how manihable is time in regards to working on all the different links? One of the things that sort of stressed me out in P4 is how little time I seemed to have in relation to how many links there were, I ended up missing a few completely. Is it more manageable this time around?

Rozart

Does the 'My Best Partner' (enter a special r/s with someone) trophy mean that I /have/ to romance someone to plat this game?

Zafir

The 1st dungeon felt really really long. On the second one when Morgana said "we are half way through" well he/she was not wrong. So that I ended up finishing it in 4 days and then focused on leveling my stats and improve my relashionships for the rest of the due time. Cannot say anything regarding the next ones. I will see about that soon.

My first Persona game and loving it. So far nothing felt out of pace or tied with the previous titles (regarding story).
I'm on the third one and it seems like I ended up doing like 2/3 of it in the first trip. So that one seems shorter than the first, too.

sappyday

Played for 9.5 hours. Fucking crazy. I'm playing on hard and it's been fun. There are many opportunities to get the upper hand but once you're open you take massive damage. Just one battle that isn't an ambush can fuck up my entire party.

nOoblet16

Man first dungeon spoiler from near the end
I need this key from these two high level enemies to stop those swinging traps. I can hold my own just fine except for anytime those guys attack Joker who gets OHK, I tried changing persona so that I don't have ye same weakness but I died again and again. I managed to kill ye first guy the first time around but the 2nd guy is placed so that it's not really possible for me to get to him without facing two more meaning that risk of OHK exists in all these fights. I'm a bit stuck here as I can't see to progress any further. This dungeon is also boring me to death because I excepted it to end by the time Morgana said we were halfway in.

aravuus

So for those who've played more, I've only gotten to the point where the first two social links open up. When the game gets going past this, how manihable is time in regards to working on all the different links? One of the things that sort of stressed me out in P4 is how little time I seemed to have in relation to how many links there were, I ended up missing a few completely. Is it more manageable this time around?

Not as far as I know, if you absolutely want to max out all social links on the first run, you're gonna have a hell of a stressful time.

Just focus on the ones you like and max the rest on NG+.

bluethree

Futaba sounds great in the Japanese VA. Almost stole the show from the other cast, IMO. There's a subtle nuance to her voice pitch that's lacking in the English VA.

Futaba's japanese VA is amazing and a big part of why I like the character so much. She nails the emotional moments so well.

Raybunny

I need this key from these two high level enemies to stop those swinging traps. I can hold my own just fine except for anytime those guys attack Joker who gets OHK, I tried changing persona so that I don't have ye same weakness but I died again and again. I managed to kill ye first guy the first time around but the 2nd guy is placed so that it's not really possible for me to get to him without facing two more meaning that risk of OHK exists in all these fights. I'm a bit stuck here as I can't see to progress any further. This dungeon is also boring me to death because I excepted it to end by the time Morgana said we were halfway in.

I was around level 11 when I fought those for the items. I had no problem whatsoever. Do you use the
sleep skill from Ann
? If I am not mistaken it procs most of the time on them and you can then try physical attack with a chance of followup for high damage.

Edit: I took the first one after you come down the stairs and then rushed the save point before tackling the second one. You can easily avoid the other 2 enemies from the safe room.

FHIZ

Not as far as I know, if you absolutely want to max out all social links on the first run, you're gonna have a hell of a stressful time.

Just focus on the ones you like and max the rest on NG+.
I thought social links don't carry over in NG+?

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Well...I'll probably do it on my 2nd playthrough then.

If you're really opposed to it, you could always do it, and then when the trophy registers just reload your save.

Maybe it's because I'm only on the first dungeon but I'm super glad I started Hard. It feels just right, prolly even needs a tad more difficulty. I had a few gameovers thought those were from recklessness.

Anoxida

I played on normal. I can say with confidence you can go through all the dungeons within one day, at least on normal.

And the game opens up you will have many ways to get SP recovery items. There are also SP recovery skills. You all will be fine.

I cant speak for later in the game but 1st dungeon in one day seems really hard to so. I've been breezing through it but im probably not even halfway and Im running out of sp very soon.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

You could lower the difficulty for this part.

Tunoku

Btw, a random side character pronounced Takamaki correctly past night. I couldn't believe my ears and and had to replay the line multiple times.

Post dungeon 1 spoilers:
It's right after the teacher confesses at school

aravuus

I cant speak for later in the game but 1st dungeon in one day seems really hard to so. I've been breezing through it but im probably not even halfway and Im running out of sp very soon.

Seeing how important SP is to survivability, the first dungeon is probably the hardest to do in one day just because you have no way of regaining SP without the healing item DLC.

As long as you have SP, you can overcome anything. Especially since characters that die in combat respawn with 1hp after the battle.

B) Having some prior weakness knowledge so you aren't having to waste every element trying to figure out a weakness. Be this from previous games, from having already fused the shadow yourself so the weaknesses are already available to you or even just some intuitive guesses in a lot of cases.

I actually reset a couple of times when I had just saved and then wasted a bunch of SP trying to find a weakness of some random enemy

Zafir

I think doing it requires one, or a combination of the following -

A) Not killing every single shadow you come across.
B) Having some prior weakness knowledge so you aren't having to waste every element trying to figure out a weakness. Be this from previous games, from having already fused the shadow yourself so the weaknesses are already available to you or even just some intuitive guesses in a lot of cases.
C) Having the better melee weapons so using physical skills is a valid alternative without giving the enemies too much of an opportunity to use skills. (Note this one is probably a bit tough since you have limited funds at the start)

I think most people on Normal will probably end up doing it in two.

Anoxida

I think doing it requires one, or a combination of the following -

A) Not killing every single shadow you come across.
C) Having the better melee weapons so using physical skills is a valid alternative without giving the enemies too much of an opportunity to use skills. (Note this one is probably a bit tough since you have limited funds at the start)

I think most people on Normal will probably end up doing it in two.

Im sure its possible but not very likely. Not sure about C since money is really hard to come by at this point. Im hoping to do it in two.

Chaos17

Don't worry too much, the beginning is pretty much locked so you won't miss anything. Farm low enemies if you don't wanna spend most your time in a part time job so you will have all the time you want for social life.

Zafir

Im sure its possible but not very likely. Not sure about C since money is really hard to come by at this point. Im hoping to do it in two.

You get enough to buy two weapons at the start basically, since you have around 10k for the two shop 'tutorials'.

Out of the starting line up, prioritising Ryuji and the MC is probably best since they have the possibility of the best physical attacks.

Either way, doing it in one requires planning most people probably won't do, or even think about really.

I'm personally not worrying too much about time on my first playthrough. Personally it can sap the fun from the game a bit for me, if I do.

StereoVsn

So I just finished the first dungeon and I agree, that went on too long. Between the length and the terrible camera and clunky stealth movement mechanic it was a bit annoying (playing on Normal).

I finished the main long section in one go, barely, and had to burn some medicine and other HP restoration items that I found. The key was to use Personas with good physical attacks since HP restoration items are found a lot more often and are in general cheaper.

So far some comments:

Overall the game is very good. I can't say I like the characters, writing and dialogue better then P4G as that small town feel and scoobie gang was pretty amazing for me, but it is better then P3 so far.

At the same time Atlus did a great job in portraying Tokyo and there are bunch of places to visit and see.

Bad to Neutral:
- UI is good but in places it's too busy. Like in stores initially the animations are very cool but then on time #10 it makes the overall layout too busy.
- Camera and some of the movement for Stealth are awful. You can't properly rotate, it will keep looking in opposite directions. Direction for movement is too "sticky" so you wind up unintentionally jumping between spots and directions.
- Camera for overhead view during some of the playoffs forming is fixed and won't allow you to rotate to properly view things. In couple occasions I was forced to abondon trying to get to items on different higher sections just because of that
- Camera after successful ambush swings wildly and won't allow you often to successfully stealth resulting in another mob noticing you
- The post combat summary screen is amazing first time you look at it. It's great next few times. Afterwards it just wastes your time. It takes 4-5 clicks for you to skip through various notifications. There is no need for that, it's just pointless quite often. Single summary screen would have been much better.
- First dungeon went on too long. It was somewhat exhausting.
- Shibuya is damn confusing. I guess it's so in real life but between small text on signposts and most of those still in Kanji and low res, it was a bit annoying.

Edit: Oh yeah, weapons. I bought three. I had about 11K and selling old weapons and one extra I had barely enough. spoiler first dungeon:
You get a silver dagger from 4/15 attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom