• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

Yooo this unavoidable lv16 angel thing with no weaknesses in the first dungeons
tower
can fuck right off.

Oh nvm he just straight up disappeared? Okay then

If it's the one that hides in a normal enemy in the tower, it does have a weakness.

TrueBlue

First Persona game. The stress is real.

I feel like I'm taking too long with the first dungeon. I'm scared that it will come to back to bite me in terms of Confidant building and whatnot.

Having an absolute blast though, so that's something!

LiK

I feel like I'm taking too long with the first dungeon. I'm scared that it will come to back to bite me in terms of Confidant building and whatnot.

Just enjoy the ride. There is nothing to be stressed over.

Dinjooh

Been a long time since I last played a Persona game. Do I lose any days by going into the palace immediatly, or should I wait untill a few days before the deadline?

Khoryos

Question about buying an early game item on Sunday:
I heard some girls whispering about the limited ability of surgical masks and how you may be able to buy them on Sunday. I've searched around the shops, but I can't find it. Is this a real item?

Check the TV on Sundays to have your desire fulfilled.

Lol.. I just solved a dungeon puzzle and when it completed I was expecting the hear the Zelda theme for when you solve puzzles in those games. I was kind of disappointed it didn't happen.

Tunoku

Just chill, enjoy your year. You won't be able to max out everything, nbd. Just do the stuff you want to do.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Lol.. I just solved a dungeon puzzle and when it completed I was expecting the hear the Zelda theme for when you solve puzzles in those games. I was kind of disappointed it didn't happen.

Funnily, the game actually does have a Zelda-esque chime that plays when you solve most puzzles. Not sure why it didn't play for that one.

Rixxan

Four hours in. First Persona game and frankly my first pure turn based JRPG in well over a decade.

Really digging the presentation and the initial set-up with the story and characters

That being said a few questions:

Just finished my second visit to the
Tutorial Dungeon? / Palace / School Shadow Castle

1) These environments (dungeons specifically) don't seem to ask you to explore various nooks and crannies / break boxes for items / collectibles - Am i correct in assuming that?

2) Is there no way to ... slow down your movement speed? My character controls pretty harshly, even when I feather the stick hes moving quickly, and moving at slight angles or making basic turns feels much more obtuse than most third person games i play.

This isnt necessarily a complaint im sure ill get used too it, just wondering if theres something im doing wrong.

3) Is there a way to enter "sneak"? Game gave me that brief tutorial about getting the openers on enemies but combining my brisk movement concerns with this, seems a tad janky to ask me to approach enemies from behind or steathily when I cant even feather my controls very well.

mike6467

Ignore the posts here about trying to clear dungeons in x amount of days. Have fun and do the things you want to do. Min/maxing has its appeal, but not on the first run, and especially not if you're new to the series, you'd be doing yourself a disservice in fact.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Four hours in. First Persona game and frankly my first pure turn based JRPG in well over a decade.

Really digging the presentation and the initial set-up with the story and characters

That being said a few questions:

Just finished my second visit to the
Tutorial Dungeon? / Palace / School Shadow Castle

1) These environments (dungeons specifically) don't seem to ask you to explore various nooks and crannies / break boxes for items / collectibles - Am i correct in assuming that?

2) Is there no way to ... slow down your movement speed? My character controls pretty harshly, even when I feather the stick hes moving quickly, and moving at slight angles or making basic turns feels much more obtuse than most third person games i play.

This isnt necessarily a complaint im sure ill get used too it, just wondering if theres something im doing wrong.

3) Is there a way to enter "sneak"? Game gave me that brief tutorial about getting the openers on enemies but combining my brisk movement concerns with this, seems a tad janky to ask me to approach enemies from behind or steathily when I cant even feather my controls very well.

1: You should explore a little. Holding L1 will make crates and such that have items in them glow, and these are often things you can sell for cash or use to craft infiltration tools.
2: Not really. Nudging the stick makes you move a little slower, but that's the extent of it. Pressing down on the dpad will zoom the camera out slightly, which might improve how your movement feels a bit.
3: You'll get a tutorial on that shortly, from then on you just press X near corners to snap to cover. I have a feeling that will eliminate most of the control issues you're feeling since using cover to ambush enemies is crucial.

Raybunny

The yellow telephone inside the Le Blanc cafe is a money glutton.... if you know what I mean.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tiops

Played for a few hours yesterday. Persona 4 is in my top 3 games of all time, so my expectations where pretty high, holy shit they were met.

And the game turns dark pretty soon lol. Was not expecting (end of 04/12)
physical/sexual abuse themes by teachers right at the start. Awesome how I already have a villain that I really want to beat to a pulp right in the first few hours of the game.

Now I'm at work desperate to get home and play more. I love this series.

Jintor

only problem so far: too used to O for confirm and X for cancel. Keep accidentally cancelling out of Downed status instead of talking

MTC100

Banned
Dammit I keep doing that lmao wife corrected me several times like uh bae it's a guy you seen how he was all in love with Ann blah blah

The online feature is interesting getting to see what ppl did 67% went straight to the first palace(first one)

On the PS3 Version it was ~52% I think yesterday or perhaps stats changed now, none the less I went straight into the palace too.

Rixxan

1: You should explore a little. Holding L1 will make crates and such that have items in them glow, and these are often things you can sell for cash or use to craft infiltration tools.
2: Not really. Nudging the stick makes you move a little slower, but that's the extent of it. Pressing down on the dpad will zoom the camera out slightly, which might improve how your movement feels a bit.
3: You'll get a tutorial on that shortly, from then on you just press X near corners to snap to cover. I have a feeling that will eliminate most of the control issues you're feeling since using cover to ambush enemies is crucial.

Sounds great, thanks

Zutrax

I know the point isn't to be able to finish the dungeon in a single day, nor is it to get everything done in a single playthrough. But I can't help but feel the stress of needing to "min-max" everything I can within reason while still enjoying myself.

Does anyone know what the recommended amount of days it takes to get through a dungeon normally, while also WHEN I should do the dungeon? Does completing the dungeon automatically advance things to the next story beat? Should I complete the dungeon near its deadline or do it as soon as possible?

I think I'll genuinely enjoy the game more by not following a completion guide. Especially with the Internet how it is, by the time I beat it I'm sure people will post the full confidants for every character

Any way to get more persona slots?

Jintor

I know the point isn't to be able to finish the dungeon in a single day, nor is it to get everything done in a single playthrough. But I can't help but feel the stress of needing to "min-max" everything I can within reason while still enjoying myself.

Does anyone know what the recommended amount of days it takes to get through a dungeon normally, while also WHEN I should do the dungeon? Does completing the dungeon automatically advance things to the next story beat? Should I complete the dungeon near its deadline or do it as soon as possible?

do dungeons as soon as practicable. If it's anything like previous persona games, certain s-links will lock-off the closer you get to deadline as party members start trying to hint you should be, you know, working on your current mission

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

From a min maxing perspective you always want to do them at the start as soon as possible because they sometimes block certain Confidants to appear. As for recommended amount of days it varies but the short answer is you want to do them in as little time as possible that means you always want to progress far enough until the game basically tells you it's time to head back.

YaBish

NeFMkm5.jpg

Loving my time with it so far. On the first day of real dungeon exploration before I had to quit last night. Really wish real school wasn't getting in the way of fake school lol

Raybunny

I think I'll genuinely enjoy the game more by not following a completion guide. Especially with the Internet how it is, by the time I beat it I'm sure people will post the full confidants for every character

Get more confident with Igor ( If I am not mistaken. If not its get more confident with the lolis). I got a couple more slots out of it.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

Pretty sure raising confidant levels unlocks abilities that add persona slots, ive unlocked an additional 2

Saint9806

Ah I mistyped it was meant to say "plan" not "play". In case it might have been misunderstood going to clarify. What I mean is that the game will always force you out after you completely explore a place(which can qualify as the scouting phase).
After that the game will allow you to pull the heist. Both are at least 1 day but sometimes the scouting phase can take more days for story reasons.

I gotcha! Thanks alot!

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

I asked a similar question - apparently people try to finish the dungeon asap and spend the rest of the time till deadline doing life things

Personally i havent done that yet in my game and im doing just fine...bout to drop my second CC

Jb

No recommended number of days but obviously the faster the better. The idea is you make it as far into a dungeon as your SP gauge allows. 2-3 days seems to be enough for the first 2 palaces.
Completing one won't change the pace at which the main story progresses.

mike6467

So...those washing machines...

I guess you can wash 4 pieces of dirty equipment at a time, since it takes time I'm assuming I should wait until I've got 4 of them? I'm assuming the equipment will scale with my level, so it shouldn't matter if I wash it now or in 10 levels, it'll still be useful?

daveo42

Banned
13 hours in and one dungeon down...man I am totally loving this game and also feel way way behind on my personal stats. I would have also nice to have known
about issuing a calling card after actually finding the treasure.
Lost a day and a half at the end of the first dungeon over that.

Any good places to stat up courage early on?

Jeez just lost about half an hour progress. Was headed for a chest when a surprise enemy pops up. Not the first one Ive encountered, but caught me by surprise. Battle opens with Bufu against MC who was weak to Ice. Dead.

Next try still failed. 4 demons all used Life Drain trying to kill MC, who thankfully survived.

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member

I guess you can wash 4 pieces of dirty equipment at a time, since it takes time I'm assuming I should wait until I've got 4 of them? I'm assuming the equipment will scale with my level, so it shouldn't matter if I wash it now or in 10 levels, it'll still be useful?

they dont scale. theyre around the same level as the enemies on the floor where you found those clothes from

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Just answering the question and tagging for safety don't think it's really spoilery though.
Don't bother with spending time on washing them. It's not that useful.
Also you can later unlock the ability to wash without spending time.

Weiss

Banned
Man the first dungeon is really tough. I'm finally
at the Tower but I don't know if I'll be able to clear it without at least two more days.

This game is pretty hard.

EDIT: Well I got wiped by a trash mob. Really not sure what to do at this point because I don't think I'll have enough time to level up my SLs.

Zafir

If he does then I don't have it on any of my Persona.

Oh nevermind I swear I tried that element before I died.

You might be thinking of the miniboss.

I made the same mistake, and thought it had no weaknesses because the mini-boss version of it didn't seem to have it.

Turns out there can be different versions of a given shadow.

mrmickfran

Was only able to get 3 hours out of the game yesterday, but it's all I'm gonna be thinking about today.

And I can't get a strong enough WiFi connection for remote play D:

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You might be thinking of the miniboss.

I made the same mistake, and thought it had no weaknesses because the mini-boss version of it didn't seem to have it.

Turns out there can be different versions of a given shadow.
Yeah this is exactly what my problem was.

aravuus

Hah, my presentation yesterday was apparently so good that my thesis grade went up by one. I'm gonna assume it was because I was so excited, not because of the thesis but because of this, so thanks, Persona!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom