• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pygrus

I'm on 4/26. Playing on Hard too.

It took me a little while to adjust to SP management and the Strength/weakness system, and I spent some time speaking with people to increase stats. I'm currently about 75% of the way through and things are going smoothly.

It felt too long at first, but being able to jump out and return while taking time out to do side activities balances it pretty well. The only thing that bothers me about doing this is your party insisting we return to the palace constantly.

Yea, this pretty much what I have been doing.

I was just surprised at how long this opening dungeon is compared to the first one in P4. Hopefully I can beat it on 4/24, unless the boss is super hard.

dawgparty

Yes you don't need to educate me on what gender is.

I highly doubt that a game like Persona is going to be making a social commentary about gender and its differentiation from sex, which is why if someone uses male pronouns in this then it's likely because that character was written to be a man within the context of the story in this game.

No, you're misunderstanding what they said. They're saying its a talking cartoon cat in a JRPG - we don't really need to apply gender norms to it by wondering why it has a female name and "sounds like a girl". You're asking "why"

He identifies as such. All the reason you need really.
Lol, down boy. Been playing the game for 7 hours and have heard no mention of gender either way so was just asking.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yea, this pretty much what I have been doing.

I was just surprised at how long this opening dungeon is compared to the first one in P4. Hopefully I can beat it on 4/24, unless the boss is super hard.

I'm wasting a bunch of SP just holding shadows up for money and items (or lending powers if I don't already have them). I still don't know the best means of keeping SP up. I'm too used to the ONE-MORE->ALL-OUT ATTACK system from Persona 3-4 for this. D:

Neoweee

So, is Merciless just a fundamentally different game? the additional 3x multiplier on Weakness/Crit means that enemies are probably dying in a single hit, rather than going down for Hold Up / Talk. The only persona I can recruit are weak to Guns, basically...

DeFrank

No, you're misunderstanding what they said. They're saying its a talking cartoon cat in a JRPG - we don't really need to apply gender norms to it by wondering why it has a female name and "sounds like a girl". You're asking "why"

fypAmty.gif

TheSeks

So, is Merciless just a fundamentally different game? the additional 3x multiplier on Weakness/Crit means that enemies are probably dying in a single hit, rather than going down for Hold Up / Talk. The only persona I can recruit are weak to Guns, basically...

There's a Merciless? I only saw hard. :x

Wouldn't Merciless's difficulty just affect you anyway, like Persona Q's?

Lady Ann is so kind
Lady Ann you are so gorgeous
Lady Ann you are amazing

Just stahp you silly cat ! I can't take all this cringe.

Also why is Morgana a dude but has a female name and sounds like a girl? (Could be a pre pubescent kid too though but there's still the name).
FMA had a female Voice actress voice (at least one of) the brothers. So take that how you will :p

Cyborg

Never played an Persona game. Will i enjoy this one? I have no idea what to expect from it.

Can anyone desrcribe it? Is there a review for beginners?

TheSeks

Never played an Persona game. Will i enjoy this one?

Do you like JRPG's?

Do you like Tarot/demons/etc?

If you answered "yes" to both of these questions, then more than likely.

LiK

Never played an Persona game. Will i enjoy this one? I have no idea what to expect from it.

You will enjoy it. You don't need to play the older ones. Every protag in the series is different and learns about what's going on just like any new player.

Shouta

The biggest hurdle is the early game, probably. As soon as you get further in, you probably can use a spell that's 1 tier down from what's appropriate to get downs for Hold Ups. If Agilao kills try Agi or an item etc.

dawgparty

I'm wasting a bunch of SP just holding shadows up for money and items (or lending powers if I don't already have them). I still don't know the best means of keeping SP up. I'm too used to the ONE-MORE->ALL-OUT ATTACK system from Persona 3-4 for this. D:

THIS. I have been extorting these shadows to filth but using way too much SP to do so.

Neoweee

The biggest hurdle is the early game, probably. As soon as you get further in, you probably can use a spell that's 1 tier down from what's appropriate to get downs for Hold Ups. If Agilao kills try Agi or an item etc.

Ah, that's a very good point. Do teammates spells upgrade/replace like they did in P3/P4, though?

Ydelnae

Is there a reason why you shouldn't just ask for money/items during Hold Up if you already have their Persona? Having the enemy retreat by a conversation seems to give exp too

Zakalwe

Banned

If you like turn-based JRPGs, Pokemon style monster collecting, and the idea of managing your day to day life (school and social activities) then you'll almost certainly love this game.

If any one aspect turns you off a great deal it might be a trickier sell, although I'd probably say if you have any love for turn based JRPGs you kind of owe it to yourself to play regardless...

Ever play The World Ends With You? (not turn based but the style is very similar). If you like that or similar games to it you should be good, too.

Weebos

Banned
Played this game from 10 AM to 1 AM yesterday. Loving it so far.

I'm close to the end of May, in the second Palace. The dungeons in this game are pretty cool.

I keep getting screwed over for DVD rentals. Ingame events just plow through my due dates. That said, the fee has been waived twice, I don't know if that just happens the first few times or if it happens when ingame events force you to miss the date.

OrionX

I'm only on like the 4th day but as expected, the game pretty much feels like everything I hoped it would be. People who say video games aren't an art form should be shown games like this. It's got to be the most stylish game I've ever played. And just like P3 and P4 were completely different from each other in tone, P5 establishes a unique feel of its own while keeping everything that makes the series great.

In other words, <3 <3 <3

TheSeks

Is there a reason why you shouldn't just ask for money/items during Hold Up if you already have their Persona? Having the enemy retreat by a conversation seems to give exp too

Get more experience if you have multiple shadows, apparently. Otherwise no, not really. It ends the fight and gives you something.

sikkinixx

Played an hour last night (so, nothing really) and I'm a bit bummed. I'm sure it smoothes itself out but the intro bit was underwhelming (though a bit quicker paced than P4 was), the game looks rough up close (except the characters look great), moving around/camera in the limited amount I've had feels odd and every male character I've encountered as the same gruff sounding kinda voice, almost like it's the same VA (kind of like when Trey Parker does most voices in South Park). It just feels off for whatever reason.

Anyway, I'll plug in a few more hours this week and get into the actual game before getting all annoyed.

Khoryos

Spoilers for up to 5/8:

CATBUS. CATBUS CATBUS CATBUS.

Ahem.
I now have the ability to increase my max HP, which has me wondering - is there a similar system for raising SP?

Started P5 last night it was REALLY hard to put it down after 2.5hrs of play. Bummed I won’t be able to really get into it till Friday. So far it’s so flawless the UI is slick, the audio is fantastic and the plot is “dark”. Curious to see where it ends up in my personal Persona franchise tier listing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Still bothered by the movement system...it's annoying and jarring that when you walk it looks like you're skating on ice. Huge deadzone too.

I really wish they rendered at a higher resolution on the Pro as well.

Minor issues for the most part, but a little disappointing nonetheless.

Shouta

Ah, that's a very good point. Do teammates spells upgrade/replace like they did in P3/P4, though?

They learn the higher tiers as separate spells so you can choose to upgrade or can keep both. There's also a way to recall forgotten ones for teammates later.

Khoryos said:
I now have the ability to increase my max HP, which has me wondering - is there a similar system for raising SP?

Yes.

Zakalwe

Banned
Started P5 last night it was REALLY hard to put it down after 2.5hrs of play. Bummed I won’t be able to really get into it till Friday. So far it’s so flawless the UI is slick, the audio is fantastic and the plot is “dark”. Curious to see where it ends up in my personal Persona franchise tier listing.

"Careful, its plot is... dark!"

silva1991

4th dungeon spoiler

I don't understand why
they gave me much longer time to finish this one. I thought it was smaller than the 3rd one.

Unless there is a twist and it will extend after the calling card lol.

hear4beer

Just finished up the first dungeon and have started to see events with stat checks. Any tips for getting my boldness up? I feel like i'm behind on my people skills since I already flubbed the first bold check :/

pablito

(Third castle visit)
"This dirtbag only sees women as sexual outlets"

Direct transition to a battle where Ann's default pose is her bending over while twisting her torso so you can see her ass and cleavage at the same time.

I'm glad Persona descriptions can be read outside of the compendium menu now!

Her pose when she gets criticalled. Sheesh.

Tips on what stat to focus on starting off? I'm thinking Guts but not sure.

Guts then charm I'd say. I came across some blocks in my confidants that could be passed by leveling those. Haven't come across other stat blocks yet.

Nugg

Just finished up the first dungeon and have started to see events with stat checks. Any tips for getting my boldness up? I feel like i'm behind on my people skills since I already flubbed the first bold check :/

You're not behind anything. You WILL fail some checks since you can't level everything at the same time. Guts (what you call boldness) is pretty easy to level. There are books and DVDs available early on, and trying to study in an environnement with a lot of noise (crowded school library, diner) also raises guts IIRC.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man, this game is depressing---for all its style and flair, when you get down to it it paints a bleak picture of Japan. And, damn, it's hard not to wonder if America is going down this path too.

Anyway, the biggest cultural disconnect for me halfway through the first dungeon spoilers, one of the earliest plot points regarding the school:

The volleyball team being the biggest thing about the school and the "untouchable" element. For an American that just seems silly since FOOTBALL was the big thing at my school, and I imagine many schools, and the big football stars were the ones who could get away with shit if they wanted.

Weiss

Banned
Her pose when she gets criticalled. Sheesh.

Guts then charm I'd say. I came across some blocks in my confidants that could be passed by leveling those. Haven't come across other stat blocks yet.

Yeah, Ann is... unfortunate. Fortunately the other female characters have different designs.

Like, I enjoy it, I enjoy 2B's design too, but if someone were to look at Ann and 2B and decide they didn't want any part of it, I wouldn't try to convince them otherwise.

aravuus

Tips on what stat to focus on starting off? I'm thinking Guts but not sure.

You need 2 Guts to raise
Death's
rank, and she starts selling some pretty goddamn useful accessories when you raise her rank a bit, so guts is a good start for sure.

FHIZ

They don't, but social stats (guts, knowledge etc.) and a lot of combat related stuff do, so you'll have a LOT more time to rank SLs up.
Right, right. Okay that makes more sense. I just get worried when I see stuff like how everyone is saying put as much time as possible into the one link to get the SP recovery thing and I'm just thinking of what I'd be possibly missing.

It's kind of one of those things I want to refer to a guide to make sure I know where to go so I don't miss stuff, but at the same time I don't want to ruin things. Ah well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Part dungeon crawl, part social sim at its most surface-level description. The OP in this very thread was crafted specifically to give you more details, why not start there?

Huh didn't expect to have to do that...

5/5 Spoiler
Naming the group was hard for me as I couldn't fit exactly what I wanted at first so I ended up going with 'The Shades' its not really original or unique but the meaning behind it is pretty simple: What this group will be doing is casting shade, both on the adults and their messed up desires and the shadows within those desires. It just fit better then anything else I could fit within that box (really wish you could make it longer)

For the second dungeon
I remember that it kicks you out a couple of times for various reasons, but what's the minimum number of days that you can finish it in?

Khoryos

Huh didn't expect to have to do that...

5/5 Spoiler
Naming the group was hard for me as I couldn't fit exactly what I wanted at first so I ended up going with 'The Shades' its not really original or unique but the meaning behind it is pretty simple: What this group will be doing is casting shade, both on the adults and their messed up desires and the shadows within those desires. It just fit better then anything else I could fit within that box (really wish you could make it longer)

I stuck with the French Criminal theme - we are now the notorious Phantom Thieves Fantomas

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Can someone confirm/deny my findings for how negotiation rewards work?

If a battle is ended by negotiation, the base rewards you get independent of what you ask for:You get exp + money from previously killed demons, but no rewards from the persona you recruited.
Otherwise:
You get exp from any previously killed demons + the demon you talked to.
You get money from any previously killed demons, but none from the demon you talked to.
--
If you DO ask for money, you get extra money if you've previously/currently own the same species of demon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom