• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went only as far as naming myself (I chose Hoshi Kishi, which translates to "Star Knight" , but may start again with somrthing else).

Pretty good so far.
Laughed at the disclaimer.

Zakalwe

Banned
Well, given that Morgana is the name of a very definitely female trickster archetype, from a myth cycle that has had characters appear as personas before, it can cause some very reasonable doubts as to his honesty and intentions.

Sure, but it's not relevant to the topic we were discussing, which is the idea that gender norms aren't really appropriate in a game like this especially.

It's the idea that Morgana is a boy and should have a boy's voice/name that people were replying to.

OrionX

5 hours in and I think ryuji is my favorite video game character of all time, I don't know if that's gonna change as the game goes on but I freaking love him right now. 😂

He's even better than Yosuke and Junpei so far, imo. I'm really impressed with him as a character, he's written really well.

Agreed. I think he's gonna be my favorite of the "best bro" characters. Found him instantly likable.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How does the thieve guild come into play in the game ? I always say yes to go on but I don't have a promp or like a thing that tells me that its on or something. How do I trigger it ?

When the game opens up more and lets you freely do whatever, you can hit the touchpad to see a percentage of what people did with that day. It seems like it does something in dungeons but I don't know how to do it or what it really does there yet.

TheExodu5

Banned
How are you guys liking the English dub? I tried both Japanese and English last night, although I only played maybe 2 hours, and so far I'm liking the English.

Also I really enjoy the music in the opening level a lot. I sat there just listening to it for a while.

I usually play dubs, but I find the Japanese voice acting makes the somewhat literal translations easier to stomach.

Ydelnae

Just lost 1 hour of progress because some surprise enemy came up from an elevator an wiped my party.

Marin fucking Karin.

suracity

...I mean the cat insists he is a dude and will one day transforms back to a dude I don't even know what you guys are arguing about.

Totakeke

I'm pretty much done with the confidants and I think they're all really good. I can empathize with all the characters. Although I can't say whether they'll be memorable a few years from now because I hardly remember any of the ones in 3 and 4 today. They do feel a step up from the previous games but maybe I'm wrong.

Zakalwe

Banned
Just lost 1 hour of progress because some surprise enemy came up from an elevator an wiped my party.

Marin fucking Karin.

If you're on the ball you can ambush enemies like this still, or at least hit before they hit you. The comment as the lift is rising gives you a hint to be ready, too.

Not much use after the fact I know, but just in case it happens again later in the story.

daveo42

Banned

Marin fucking Karin.

The one in the
Castle dungeon?
If that's the case, that was definitely a surprise fight that was hard but over super fast. Oddly enough, most of the "boss" fights I've come across haven't lasted all that long tbh.

Arkeband

Banned
Something weird with this game - while it's in my PS4 it seems to just idle-spin at a low speed constantly, whereas other games typically stop spinning or go silent if it's not in use.

Maybe it's trying to speak to me? What are you trying to tell me, Persona 5?

LiK

He's even better than Yosuke and Junpei so far, imo. I'm really impressed with him as a character, he's written really well.

Certain parts where he added his own lil bits of affectations to the humor reminded me of Troy Baker's performance as Kanji. I laughed out loud. It's not even in the text. So good.

R0ckman

Cussing in games doesn't bother me usually, but it seems like its overdone in this one. I'm use to it in SMT but it wasn't constant like in this.

Zakalwe

Banned
For those who have not played a Persona game before, what are you thoughts so far?

A fresh, modern take on turn-based JRPGs with a lot of unique gameplay mechanics. It's up there with RE7 and Yakuza 0 in terms of my current potential GOTY.

It's brilliant.

daveo42

Banned

So far most primary characters I've interacted with seem to be much more 'human' in terms of motivations, backstory and all around writing. Ryuji just highlights how well they pull off a "best friend" character over just the comic relief.

I love that the shadows are actually demons this time and that negotiation makes a comeback

It's also the first time we've seen the Megami Tensei Demons in 3D and technically HD (barring smt imagine) since the PS2

LotusHD

Banned
For those who have not played a Persona game before, what are you thoughts so far?

Not that far in, but it's pretty cool. I'm just letting myself become slowly absorbed into its world and story, so I don't mind the somewhat sluggish pacing. Stylish as fuck too.

ferunnico

Neo Member
I'm at the very beginning, just exiting the train station, but I had to come here and ask: what's up with the graphics? There are some incredibly low resolution textures in the backstreets. Some of this stuff is barely on PS2 level. I don't think this will affect my enjoyment of the game too much, but I have to admit I expected a bit more from a PS4 game in 2017 (even if it started development as a PS3 game).

LiK

I'm at the very beginning, just exiting the train station, but I had to come here and ask: what's up with the graphics? There are some incredibly low resolution textures in the backstreets. Some of this stuff is barely on PS2 level. I don't think this will affect my enjoyment of the game too much, but I have to admit I expected a bit more from a PS4 game in 2017 (even if it started development as a PS3 game).

the Persona games always had plenty of style and amazing art direction but their technical prowess isn't always the best. One of my main complaints with their games.

Alucrid

Banned
Just press option button to save, and you can do it pretty much anywhere outside of dungeons.

i know, it's just that using the sign in book from 3 or calendar from 4 is so ingrained in me that not having one is weird. it'd probably be faster than having to go two menus deep

edit: oh. that's a shortcut? i didn't know. thanks

Zakalwe

Banned
Not that far in, but it's pretty cool. I'm just letting myself become slowly absorbed into its world and story, so I don't mind the somewhat sluggish pacing. Stylish as fuck too.

It's a slow-burn for sure, at first I was really anxious for it to open up but at the point it would have probably become an issue I'd been absorbed by the gameplay loop.

I can definitely see the first few hours putting people off those who were a little sceptical going in, but I think for most people who love this genre it should be fine.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Fucking amazing. I wasn't planning on playing a ton but got a good 10 hours in yesterday, lol.

Actually up there with Zelda for me so far, which says a ton as I think extremely highly of that. Pretty much everything the game is doing has meshed well with me so far.

Not that it really excuses that but this seems like it's more than just started dev on PS3, it is basically straight up a PS3 game and ported to PS4.

I do wish the textures were better in certain areas. The underground Shibuya mall area stuck out, the stores you can shop at have clearly higher res signs above the doors which looks a little jarring in a cramped marketplace.

LiK

Thanks. Considering changing to Easy to give me more time with confidants. Not sure if I should though.

I play all Persona games on Easy. Combat is no joke even on Normal. I'm just not invested in the combat for these games usually. P5 is probably the first one where I find it fun but I'll stick with Easy for now.

RDreamer

Do you ever unlock the ability to do fusions with personas you don't currently have out but have registered like SMT IV and IV: A?

Opa-Pa

All those "that definitely looked like a dick!" comments about the first dungeon are killing me haha. I'm not sure if this is referenced later in the game, but from other Megaten games
that's THE dick lmao,
it's Mara's unfinished form from Nocturne. It really took me by surprise.

Totakeke

Do you ever unlock the ability to do fusions with personas you don't currently have out but have registered like SMT IV and IV: A?

Don't think so.

It's a bit weird that the two teams made their own QoL additions to the SMT mechanics independently in their newest games and didn't draw from each other.

Audioboxer

What is the size of this digitally and how much do you need to download to start playing? (if it has a quick start option like other games). Physical prices in the UK are insane. I've got some left over $$$ on my American PSN account so MIGHT go digital tonight. I normally prefer to stick to digital indie only.

Cheers

Vire

What is the size of this digitally and how much do you need to download to start playing? (if it has a quick start option like other games). Physical prices in the UK are insane. I've got some left over $$$ on my American PSN account so MIGHT go digital tonight. I normally prefer to stick to digital indie only.

Cheers

It's around 20 GB total and you only need around 3 GB to start playing.

Enjoy.

ferunnico

Neo Member
the Persona games always had plenty of style and amazing art direction but their technical prowess isn't always the best. One of my main complaints with their games.

I went in with that expectation but I was still shocked at how bad (purely on a technical level) some of this looks. But so far I have only seen the very first area after the train station, I'm sure some environments will look better than others. At least now I know what to expect.

Zakalwe

Banned
Once you get the hang of the strength/weakness system, hard becomes a lot less difficult to manage. You get to learn the enemy patterns then exploit each encounter by knocking down/passing batons and locking down any dangerous foes with sleep/brainwash/etc...

If you keep an eye on your SP, heal up in between fights, and make sure to ambush each time it's not that difficult... but it can be very unforgiving if you make even one mistake (it being turn based helps with this last part a lot).

Learning how to make it through areas with the least SP spend possible is really fun!

joe2187

Banned
Never pre-order from wal mart. I got the special edition.

"Yeah Im here to pick my pre-order?"

"Whats the name of the product?"

"Persona 5"

"What?"

"persona 5"

"Solar flare?"

"What? no...Persona 5"

"Sonar fire?"

"Persona...P.E.R.S.O.N.A"

"I dont know what that is"

"It's a video game"

"Im going to have to talk to my boss" * Walks away*