• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

I wish the controls were a bit more responsive. Game seems to take a few fractions of a second to respond when walking around that is a bit annoying. Like just a little bit of lag or something.

N° 2048

Haven't finished April or first dungeon yet but some of the themes are way darker than Persona 4 already.

Abuse, dating teachers, etc

Wunder

Can someone confirm/deny my findings for how negotiation rewards work?

If a battle is ended by negotiation, the base rewards you get not considering what you ask for:
You get exp + money from previously killed demons, but no rewards from the persona you recruited.
Otherwise:
You get exp from any previously killed demons + the demon you talked to.
You get money from any previously killed demons, but none from the demon you talked to.
You get extra money if you've previously/currently own the same species of demon.

Would love to know this too, basically
is it better to kill off the other enemies and try to negotiate with only a single enemy, or is there no difference if you negotiate with one or four enemies

Lol.. I just lost 40 minutes of progress because a shadow spammed cleave until my group died.

I would usually be pissed but it's been so long since I played a game that punishes you for dying. I'm loving this so far.

I wish the controls were a bit more responsive. Game seems to take a few fractions of a second to respond when walking around that is a bit annoying. Like just a little bit of lag or something.
Absolute whiplash coming from Nier to this.

But then I realized it's just an rpg and you're not going to do a trillion frame perfect bayonetta backflips, so I got used to it by the end of the first dungeon.

Vire

First Persona game, only an hour or so in but someone could please explain he time system to me?

How does it work exactly? Am i penalized for taking to long? Say I just sit idle in the first dungeon for four hundred hours could I theoretically screw myself and not be able to progress?

I went from 0 to MUST HAVE IT NOW BUT ITS SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE!-panic mode. Yikes!
I'm thinking this is a perfect game to pick up for me and the wife to play together.

So yeah, That's how it is. Love the style... So uh. I'll be out of your way now.

First Persona game, only an hour or so in but someone could please explain he time system to me?

How does it work exactly? Am i penalized for taking to long? Say I just sit idle in the first dungeon for four hundred hours could I theoretically screw myself and not be able to progress?

Time progresses in chunks when you do activities. It isn't real time.

DNAbro

No. Time only progresses when you leave the dungeon. It moves forward whenever you do an activity.

Zakalwe

Banned

No, time isn't on a counter, it's on a per acttivity basis. I think it works like this but I might be missing something:

Afternoons and evenings give you the choice of how to spend your time, and you can generally engage in one activity per time slot before you advance to the next.

You can explore and run around as much as you want, it's not until you make a specific action that time will advance.

I think sometimes cut-scenes can trigger advancing time, too.

When people in the thread talk about time, they're generally referring to units of "daytime" or "nighttime". Down the road, you'll get to determine your schedule on a day by day basis, and choosing to hang out with someone will take up a single "day" after school, which could have otherwise been spent on studying, competitive eating, or going into a dungeon.

Once you're in a dungeon at a moment the story doesn't 100% require it, all you're doing is expending that block of time in a single "day". There's no real time clock that penalizes you in any way.

Still really early but I never expected this game to go to such dark places.
4/15 spoilers:
I was convinced someone was going to stop that girl from jumping. And she's in a coma? Damn.
Ryuiji is the hero we deserve. Really like him so far.

The early teasers and all the talk about what the themes for this game would be... They really meant it and I respect that. What a bold game so far.

Aselith

Could anyone who is experiencing the lag go into config and turn off network features and see how it feels? It feels more responsive to me but I'm not sure if it's some placebo effect.

R0ckman

Is the thing where if an enemy likes you they tell you you are no match for the palace boss, is that a mechanic where it actually sizes you up or is that just scripted stuff?

Gestahl

Don't look at this conversation if you haven't finished the game folks. As we're getting in deep here a bit. ^_^;

I see the scene as telling the player how the events were viewed in the game world. He definitely knows what happens but I mean,
Sojiro is a total stranger to the MC and doesn't even have a direct relationship with his parents. So where does Sojiro get his information? Yeah, there are reasons why he could get that but that's making the situation overly complicated. He's been appointed the MC's guardian so he'd have to have heard what happened from the courts. It's the simplest reason he knows.

He got the information from
the patron at his cafe who brought the story up to him in the first place, who learned of the story presumably from Joker and his parents. You talk about making things overly complicated and then go on to craft this elaborate scenario lol. Sojiro never would have taken him in if he thought he was some violent nutjub. And he definitely wouldn't put much stock in anything the courts (never mind how unlikely it is that Joker's side of events would be recorded faithfully) say considering his own history. I'm not sure what the point of contention here even is anymore, but it's made clear at the beginning in the attic that Sojiro knows Joker is just a kid who got screwed over by the system. That's the whole reason he took him in, because he was able to empathize with him and saw himself in Joker, what with getting pushed out of his own bureaucratic position and exiled to Yongenjaya.

So why do they still have school on Saturdays? I thought Japan got rid of that a while ago. I was looking forward to having an extra fee day with this game.

pablito

Yeah, Ann is... unfortunate. Fortunately the other female characters have different designs.

Like, I enjoy it, I enjoy 2B's design too, but if someone were to look at Ann and 2B and decide they didn't want any part of it, I wouldn't try to convince them otherwise.

I'd be less bothered by it if not for (vague first dungeon spoilers)
the subject matter with Kamoshida. She's a model after all. But I would have liked different poses for her, even without that stuff. Oh well, I still like the character.

Sucked into this one far more than I was P4G.

One thing that has had me laughing out loud, the comments under the Phan-site gauge. Could be from Gaf.

Is the Persona 3 movie worth watching for someone who never played the game?

nOoblet16

Also getting stuck when you are even remotely near objects sucks.

pixxxelz

5 hours in and I think ryuji is my favorite video game character of all time, I don't know if that's gonna change as the game goes on but I freaking love him right now. 😂

nOoblet16

No, you're misunderstanding what they said. They're saying its a talking cartoon cat in a JRPG - we don't really need to apply gender norms to it by wondering why it has a female name and "sounds like a girl". You're asking "why"
A talking cat which was supposedlgnhuman obce, the characters themselves ask are you a boy or a girl because they are unsure and if you pick girl Morgana says whatever you say, of course I am a male.

If you want me to discount that and throw my idea of what is a male voice/name and female voice/name just because it's a talking cat in a cartoon JRPG then by that merit it should also apply to the rest of the party and everyone in the game...bug thst would be a bit ridiculous.

Joqu

I really need to stop looking up that min max walkthrough. I'm not even following it or anything, just checking up on it occasionally to see how I'm doing. And I'm waaaay behind on that guide even though I felt like I've been spending my time optimally.

Holy shit 2 hours in and this is the best Persona game made yet. 2017 is insane.

YUP, it really has been that good. Crazy stuff man. ;___;

Zakalwe

Banned
Except the characters themselves ask are you a boy or a girl because they are unsure and if you pick girl Morgana says whatever you say, of course I am a male.

The point is you asked "why does a boy have a girl's voice and a girl's name".

Why not?

Why does a boy have to have a "boy's" name?

And why is it important in a game dealing with fantastical creatures like this?

Griss

Was going to hold off on this because it's 70 bloody euros and because I was still playing Gravity Rush 2. But since Gravity Rush 2 is so utterly shit that I dropped it altogether I decided what the hell, might as well jump in with everyone else and get that 'crap game' taste out of my mouth.

Thank god for the PS4 'play while partially downloaded' feature, as it let me put in two hours last night between 1am and 3am.

So far, there are a few little flaws and niggles, but overall I'm really, really enjoying it. A really solid start. I don't like most JRPGs (and hated SMT IV) but the persona series simply has such a sense of style, flair and 'smoothness' that it overcomes my general issues, and it looks to be the same here. The UI is unparalleled, the music is already fantastic, the setting is great, the anime sequences are well-integrated, seeing the SMT demons in 3d like this is awesome... From a presentation point of view I think the only thing I'd nitpick is that the actual gameplay visuals are pretty bog-standard for a PS4 game. You can tell it's a PS3 port.

Anyway, I loved the way the story started off quickly - the pacing has been fantastic so far. I'm not as much of a fan of how they depicted the MC's 'issue' that leads him to the school, or how people react to it. It just doesn't make any sense that this kid wouldn't have been able to explain to people what happened considering he had the woman as a witness, and even if convicted due to corruption or what have you, he should still be able to explain to teachers etc that it's all BS. Instead he just lets everyone treat him like shit - why? But that's a minor point - I'm happy with the rest of it so far, and crucially I like the characters I've met so far.

What has really, really surprised me is how tolerable the voice acting is so far. It's obviously still the stilted 'read one line at a time' anime-style voice acting rather than any kind of convincing attempt at conversational flow (and man I wish a JRPG would attempt that) but the voices themselves I find just fine, maybe with the exception of Igor.

I was expecting to play 20 minutes and then turn the game off and wait for the Japanese language download, now I'm not even sure if I'll use it. That's a great result, as I couldn't stick in the english voices in P4G for more than an hour.

Some of the translation is wonky, though... it's feels like a lot of the lines haven't been fully localised, like they're not natural english speakers writing the lines or something. However considering it's set in Japan and uses honourifics even in English it's something I can rationalise as 'trying to be authentic'.

Anyway, can't wait to get home after work and play it, which is a great feeling after 10 days of literally forcing myself to play GR2 as a chore because I spent money on it.

tariniel

How are you guys liking the English dub? I tried both Japanese and English last night, although I only played maybe 2 hours, and so far I'm liking the English.

Also I really enjoy the music in the opening level a lot. I sat there just listening to it for a while.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just beat the second dungeon. Wow coming from the first boss design this was a huge letdown, really boring and lame, i always thought there gotta be another transformation, is that really it? welp turns out it was.

Khoryos

The point is you asked "why does a boy have a girl's voice and a girl's name".

Why not?

Why does a boy have to have a boy's name?

And why is it important in a game dealing with fantastical creatures like this?

Actually, in a game dealing with legends and mythical creatures, the gender of something calling itself Morgana could be a pretty big deal.

I've played for a few hours yesterday and got to After School 4/18, so spoilers for anything before that here:

I've been liking the darker, grounded tone a lot in this game. It's reminding me of mostly of P3 in tone and story so far, but more grounded in reality, which makes the story more powerful as result when stuff happens like Shiho's attempted suicide after Kamoshida rapes her after Ann refuses to meet up at Kamoshida's house for them to have sex. It definitely makes you want to steal the treasure from the castle, even if Kamoshida could die by it. That stuff got to me and made me want to defeat the castle, but it was getting late and had college the next day, so... yeah. I'm loving that the negotiation feature of recruiting shadows/demons from SMT games is in this. So far, I'm 1/2 in my negotiations in my limited time. I hope to finish the castle soon and I'll probably play a bit later today when I get home.

Anyways, really liking the game so far and can't wait to play more when I get the chance!

Renkax

How does the thieve guild come into play in the game ? I always say yes to go on but I don't have a promp or like a thing that tells me that its on or something. How do I trigger it ?

Zakalwe

Banned
Actually, in a game dealing with legends and mythical creatures, the gender of something calling itself Morgana could be a pretty big deal.

We were talking about the question "why does a boy have a girl's name/voice?". I can't see anything in the wiki, but does that have any relevance to this specific question?

How do you check the weather in this game? Is it the same like the previous one that the enemies in the dungeon become stronger when it's raining?

Khoryos

We were talking about the question "why does a boy have a girl's name/voice?". I can't see anything in the wiki, but does that have any relevance to this specific question?

Well, given that Morgana is the name of a very definitely female trickster archetype, from a myth cycle that has had characters appear as personas before, it can cause some very reasonable doubts as to his honesty and intentions.

Game's been great so far. The plot was a bit hard to follow at first - but I think I get what it's trying to do now.

Wish the loading times could be a bit better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom