• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

I went in with that expectation but I was still shocked at how bad (purely on a technical level) some of this looks. But so far I have only seen the very first area after the train station, I'm sure some environments will look better than others. At least now I know what to expect.

Yea, but it's nice to see that the characters in-game no longer are deformed like with P3 and P4. Everyone is in the same proportion across the board.

aravuus

Yeah so again, where can I read all the books I've got? I think someone mentioned that there should be a bookcase on the first floor of the cafe, but I'm not seeing it

Totakeke

So I guess if you get too strong to simply knock down a shadow you can never recruit it again?

That seems to heavily discourage fusion...

I believe if your persona is at least 10 levels above the enemies, you automatically defeat them without going into battle when ambushing and also recruit them for free.

Don't know how that discourages fusion though. It's not like fusing demons automatically gets you stronger ones.

Yeah so again, where can I read all the books I've got? I think someone mentioned that there should be a bookcase on the first floor of the cafe, but I'm not seeing it

Sit at the bar beside the payphone.

Never pre-order from wal mart. I got the special edition.

"Yeah Im here to pick my pre-order?"

"Whats the name of the product?"

"Persona 5"

"What?"

"persona 5"

"Solar flare?"

"What? no...Persona 5"

"Sonar fire?"

"Persona...P.E.R.S.O.N.A"

"I dont know what that is"

"It's a video game"

"Im going to have to talk to my boss" * Walks away*

-10 minutes later- Boss comes by

"You were looking for Solar flares? I dont think we have anything like that"

"No...persona 5"

"Per....sona....Per....sona"

"What is that? I dont think we carry it"

"Can you look it up in your computer please"

"Okay...Personal 5"

"Persona!...no L."

"Okay...Looks like your order isnt ready, come back later"

latest

Wrong thread. The Solar Flare OT is right here. You're welcome

Zakalwe

Banned
So I guess if you get too strong to simply knock down a shadow you can never recruit it again?

That seems to heavily discourage fusion...

Early game mechanic spoilers.

You can
buy any Persona you're captured from Igor.

You can also register your Persona which saves an image of their current level/skills, so if you buy them again later you don't lose your progress with them.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The transition between battle and exploration is so slick.

P-studio has mastered the art of doing a lot with less. The game is obviously no technical marvel, but the way it's presented is absolutely incredible.

Very few AAA games manage to have this kind of presentation.

Just made it to
the treasure room
in the first dungeon. I did it all in one day, it was way longer than I expected. I used my Soma to get through.

Can you access the Velvet Room when you're not in the Metaverse?

twisteh

I play all Persona games on Easy. Combat is no joke even on Normal. I'm just not invested in the combat for these games usually. P5 is probably the first one where I find it fun but I'll stick with Easy for now.
Yeah i think since there is no difficulty related trophy I will just put it on Easy to enjoy the story. I noticed there is a difficulty below that called Safety but I still want a bit of a challenge haha.

Dantis

I hate the interrogation scenes.

I thought once I understood them they wouldn't pull me out of the experience like they did in the JP version, but it's barely any better.

Doesn't help that they hold absolutely no substance.

PixelatedBookake

Quick thoughts so far:

Morgana is better than Teddy

English voice acting is good

Love the demon negotiation mechanic

Only on 5/16 but I think this is on track to being the best Persona ever

ymgve

The transition between battle and exploration is so slick.

P-studio has mastered the art of doing a lot with less. The game is obviously no technical marvel, but the way it's presented is absolutely incredible.

Very few AAA games manage to have this kind of presentation.

I'm getting a bit tired by the transition since it feels a bit too long, but I assume it's to mask loading. But some times you get a single post-battle screen - anyone know what decides if you get the single screen or the long animation?

I believe if your persona is at least 10 levels above the enemies, you automatically defeat them without going into battle when ambushing and also recruit them for free.

Don't know how that discourages fusion though. It's not like fusing demons automatically gets you stronger ones.

Less fusion opportunities with less Personas. But if that's how it works then I guess that's something.

You can rebuy them from the compendium.

Are they less expensive than in other games? Otherwise that's a huge resource drain. And you can't buy Personas you haven't recruited before, can you?

LiK

Yeah i think since there is no difficulty related trophy I will just put it on Easy to enjoy the story. I noticed there is a difficulty below that called Safety but I still want a bit of a challenge haha.

Yea, I would've gone with the lowest but that would probably be too boring and there's no option to change it later.

Yu Narukami

I just found out that when you know a shadow's weakness, pressing R1 and then X selects the Persona with the corresponding weakness spell. It even changes target after an 1-more.

JJShadow

I'm getting a bit tired by the transition since it feels a bit too long, but I assume it's to mask loading. But some times you get a single post-battle screen - anyone know what decides if you get the single screen or the long animation?

If you manage to kill all enemies with an all-out attack you get the single, stylish screen instead of the animation (it changes based on the party member that knocked down the last enemy) Also, when you finish battles followed by a cutscene there is no running animation

Could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure you get a single screen only if you beat an enemy via all-out attack or if it is a plot important forced battle i.e. mini-bosses, bosses, etc.

Sarek

Only few hours in, but the thing that has impressed me the most is just how so stylish P5 is. Everything from the UI to the music fits so perfectly together. I don't think I've ever seen so well designed look and feel in a game.

Lol.. I lost my progress again because of a Angel and his over power attack that hits the entire party.

This isn't hard unless the CPU hits you're weakness before you do. If it does you're more likely going to see the game over screen.

HMD

How different would Persona 5 be if it had a FFXV-like budget? Would it be more of the same with even better presentation? Would a bigger budget fundamentally change the game?

I always wondered what would happen if Persona sold as much as mainline Final Fantasy titles.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this post.

aravuus

Safe is obviously god mode, but I think easy has been fantastic for someone like me, who's pretty bad at these kind of turn-based games. It's been delightfully intensive most of the time, really only the first dungeon boss has been disappointingly easy so far. But other than that, you still gotta pay attention to everything, otherwise you'll face a swift death.

BUT I finally got the SP regen accessory (the best one the clinic sells) so that might all change. If it's as strong as I'm hoping, I might have to bump the difficulty up to normal at some point lol.

JJShadow

Leaving work now and ready for some Persona greatness. I'm thinking about taking a couple of days off just to play this non-stop, having to manage two lifes at the same time it's exhausting lol

PixelatedBookake

Lol.. I lost my progress again because of a Angel and his over power attack that hits the entire party.

This isn't hard unless the CPU hits you're weakness before you do. If it does you're more likely going to see the game over screen.

Bruh the same thing happened to me in the first dungeon. He hit me with that Megido and I lost around 40 minutes of progress fuck that guy

Do Stats not level up at the same speed? I got to level 2 of charming and Proficiency without even trying, but I've been intentionally trying to level up Intelligence and it's been taking forever.

How different would Persona 5 be if it had a FFXV-like budget? Would it be more of the same with even better presentation? Would a bigger budget fundamentally change the game?

I always wondered what would happen if Persona sold as much as mainline Final Fantasy titles.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this post.

The world would be larger and more seamless I would imagine. That would probably be the biggest change.

D-Man

Played my copy last night for five hours and it's everything I was hoping it would be. Now I just want to get out of work to play more of it! Really glad I got the TYH Edition.

I'm also really glad demon negotiations are back. I know some people don't care for it but it's a fun (and frustrating at times) mechanic in my eyes.

Charamiwa

Banned
I'm about 4 hours in and I gotta say I'm a little put off by how much exposition and hand holding there is. How many times do they have to explain what this damn castle is? I understood it the first time. There's a lot of repetition and the flow is excruciatingly slow, with characters constantly asking questions, playing dumb and repeating concepts and systems. I doesn't help that everything is taken very literally in this game, even the crazier things are tied to some very concrete and mundane ideas. That makes it all a bit silly.

My last jrpg was FFXV so I tend to compare it in my mind, and while the polish, focus and style is much better here, I must say the way they ease you in the world and the combat system is way better in a game like XV. Here they just dump everything on you and it's not graceful at all.

This is my first Persona by the way, how are the people used to all this taking all this exposition?

The aesthetics for this game are fucking incredible. It manages to go beyond everything else the team has done and then some. It's so confident and striking.

Only up to 4/15 or so, but I adore this game. It feels really good to play a new entry after eight years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom