• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

How different would Persona 5 be if it had a FFXV-like budget? Would it be more of the same with even better presentation? Would a bigger budget fundamentally change the game?

I always wondered what would happen if Persona sold as much as mainline Final Fantasy titles.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this post.

It wouldn't be rated M and Mara wouldn't be in the game. Bigger budget means bigger expectations. This game doesn't need a bigger budget.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm about 4 hours in and I gotta say I'm a little put off by how much exposition and hand holding there is. How many times do they have to explain what this damn castle is? I understood it the first time. There's a lot of repetition and the flow is excruciatingly slow, with characters constantly asking questions, playing dumb and repeating concepts and systems. I doesn't help that everything is taken very literally in this game, even the crazier things are tied to some very concrete and mundane ideas. That makes it all a bit silly.

My last jrpg was FFXV so I tend to compare it in my mind, and while the polish, focus and style is much better here, I must say the way they ease you in the world and the combat system is way better in a game like XV. Here they just dump everything on you and it's not graceful at all.

This is my first Persona by the way, how are the people used to all this taking all this exposition?

Stick with it, it does pretty much everything better than FFX (especially combat and exploration) once you get past the first few hours.

Jb

Small post 2nd palace easter egg:
Just noticed that Makoto is following you with her face hidden behind a book when you wander around the school. Pretty cute touch.

DeFrank

A talking cat which was supposedlgnhuman obce, the characters themselves ask are you a boy or a girl because they are unsure and if you pick girl Morgana says whatever you say, of course I am a male.

If you want me to discount that and throw my idea of what is a male voice/name and female voice/name just because it's a talking cat in a cartoon JRPG then by that merit it should also apply to the rest of the party and everyone in the game...bug thst would be a bit ridiculous.

pzEGC.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love the music that plays at night, it's so good.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
How different would Persona 5 be if it had a FFXV-like budget? Would it be more of the same with even better presentation? Would a bigger budget fundamentally change the game?

I always wondered what would happen if Persona sold as much as mainline Final Fantasy titles.

I think the most obvious thing would be, it having full voice acting. And honestly it's a bit of a shame with how stellar the JP cast is that it's still limited to main story and beginning/ending of side storylines. But hey maybe if P5 does well enough.
Too bad that full voice acting likely can't be part of a Crimson/extended version(at least in Japanese) given that the Fortune VA died they would have to rerecord her entirely wouldn't feel right especially with how good she is.

Charamiwa

Banned
Stick with it, it does pretty much everything better than FFX (especially combat and exploration) once you get past the first few hours.

I will. I'm loving the style, and what little I've seen of the combat seemed cool. And I want to know more about these characters! Just wish it went along a bit smoother.

twisteh

Yea, I would've gone with the lowest but that would probably be too boring and there's no option to change it later.

Yeah. Think I'm about 80% through the first dungeon and haven't left yet.

Some general impressions: I had high expectations coming in after loving Persona 4, and I have to say it lives up to them. It's fantastic. The story is great, it's ridiculously stylish and it's amazing to finally see a SMT game in HD.

Not really a spoiler as it's in first hour but:
Also there's a monster that sits on a toilet xD

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Doubtful it would be much different. Unless there is a specific justification for the budget inflation, such as a new feature introduced or a complete overhaul of the core design. These things generally have a long process of planning and financial consideration from the getgo. It seems Persona 5 hit its intended development goals until we are told otherwise.

Though one could consider a major R&D and technology investment taking a large portion of a higher budget had this been a PS4 exclusive rather than a cross-gen refugee.

Blindy

The forced tutorials are driving me bonkers, they forced me to get rid of Arsene for the sake of progressing story in a demon fusion.There's Demon Compendiums in this of course right?

The forced tutorials are driving me bonkers, they forced me to get rid of Arsene for the sake of progressing story in a demon fusion.There's Demon Compendiums in this of course right?

yes, but there is no reason to ever get that persona back, infact unless they changed it from persona and 4, there should be no reason to ever have a fool persona in your list

I'm 10 hours in and just beat the first palace. Is that about how long it takes?

Also I love the change from randomized dungeons to this. It's so much more engaging.

Blindy

yes, but there is no reason to ever get that persona back, infact unless they changed it from persona and 4, there should be no reason to ever have a fool persona in your list
These personas evolved from previous games right? I remember that happened to Izanagi in P4.

Tidd

Spoilers regarding 6/14:
So Makoto found out about the MC being a Phantom Thief because they talked about it in the public and 10 minutes later they are talking about it again in the public with people around.. HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE??

aravuus

Oh my fuck yes. The Invigorate 3 accessory restores 7 SP every time it's the character's turn.

Guess how much SP media needs? Well, 7 of course.

That's it. I'm a fucking physical god now. Fear me, shadows!

e: well, not quite yet maybe... But now I can grind practically forever. You know what that means - sp regen accessories for everyone!

kromeo

Think the main menu music is my favorite so far, sounds like something that would have been at home in Hustle. The lack of proper school music is the biggest disappointment

Nose Master

Arsene sucks anyways. There's zero reason to hang on to a Persona and grind it up manually when fusion exists, outside of going for a specific skill they get later. Even then, it's infinitely easier to just wait until you can power level it via slink bonuses for fusion.

Weiss

Banned
Oh my fuck yes. The Invigorate 3 accessory restores 7 SP every time it's the character's turn.

e: well, not quite yet maybe... But now I can grind practically forever. You know what that means - sp regen accessories for everyone!

Where do you get SP regen accessories?

silva1991

How much does that accessory worth? I've seen it once, but I don't remember where.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ehhhhhhh...seems unlikely.

Spoilers for the 2nd Dungeon

Oh my god, this scene with
Takamaki wearing a thousand pieces of clothes with Yusuke
is killing me. Ann's VA for this scene is incredible.

I just saw that scene last night. It's amazing and took me completely off-guard. :D

I played about 4 hours last night. I LOVED what I played. I had to stop as I needed to go to bed for work.

While playing though, I was sad by the fact that I can't play 3 or 4/Golden if I wanted to. I own the PS2 games but I don't own a PS2 anymore. I own Golden still but I don't own a Vita. Ugh.

aravuus

Where do you get SP regen accessories?

Raise
Death's (the punk doctor)
rank to 5. She
sells three types of those, with Invigorate 1, 2 and 3 for 40k, 80k and 100k yen respectively. Raise her Slink to 7, and the prices gets halved.

Really all I need now is a physical skill that attacks every enemy, then I can steamroll my way through encounters for the rest of this dungeon.

I'm about 4 hours in and I gotta say I'm a little put off by how much exposition and hand holding there is. How many times do they have to explain what this damn castle is? I understood it the first time. There's a lot of repetition and the flow is excruciatingly slow, with characters constantly asking questions, playing dumb and repeating concepts and systems. I doesn't help that everything is taken very literally in this game, even the crazier things are tied to some very concrete and mundane ideas. That makes it all a bit silly.

My last jrpg was FFXV so I tend to compare it in my mind, and while the polish, focus and style is much better here, I must say the way they ease you in the world and the combat system is way better in a game like XV. Here they just dump everything on you and it's not graceful at all.

This is my first Persona by the way, how are the people used to all this taking all this exposition?

i've played persona 3/4 multiple times, &, no, this isn't just you. i thought the first couple hours of mass effect: andromeda were pretty awful, &, while this isn't quite that bad, yeah, it's bad. also (first half-hour spoiler):
with the rare exception of something like usual suspect, i've never been a big 'narrative via flashback' fan
:) ...

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member

How much was it?

edit: NVM answered above. This thread moves quickly.

Yu Narukami

Raise
Death's (the punk doctor)
rank to 5. She
sells three types of those, with Invigorate 1, 2 and 3 for 40k, 80k and 100k yen respectively. Raise her Slink to 7, and the prices gets halved.

Really all I need now is a physical skill that attacks every enemy, then I can steamroll my way through encounters for the rest of this dungeon.
Are you already level 7? How long have you been playing for the last 2 days?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I kinda regret watching all the trailers, would have been interesting to find out who will join next, what clothes and persona they will get...

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Are you already level 7? How long have you been playing for the last 2 days?

She's one of the first social links you can get, you could get to 7 really quickly as soon as you're given some options.

You could easily get there during the 2nd dungeon time, if you want to rush it and/or reload to get the 'best' responses during the social link 'conversations'.

I kinda regret watching all the trailers, would have been interesting to find out who will join next, what clothes and persona they will get...

Yeah, this is me, at least a little. I blame the 7 month localization time between JPN and NA release, at least in part.

Played for 5 hours last night. Even after playing the first 2 hours of the Japanese version, this game has exceeded every expectation I've set for it so far. It's just damn fantastic.

Just
got to Kamoshida's palace with Ann. I love how much of an asshole Kamoshida is. Shiho trying to commit suicide and all the students being bullied with all the adults knowing, but no one stopping it got way too real for me, as I've heard of a lot of stuff like this in Japan happening OFTEN. Really hateable character.
Look forward to losing even more sleep to this game tonight after work.

Also playing with the Japanese vies. Miyano Mamoru's performance as Ryuji is god damn fantastic.

Is there any penalty to dying and reloading and are there any missable Persona if a palace disappears and you didn't recruit them in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom