• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Been downloading for a bit, 11 minutes to go till I can start the application! :D Can you actually play a bit with the 3GB downloaded? I've had one or two games where you could literally only look at the title screen LOL. By start, devs mean start in the loosest terms. REmake was quite funny, I got to play a bit but couldn't open some doors xD

Not bothered about the Japanese voice track at 3GB. Dub all the way!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Been downloading for a bit, 11 minutes to go till I can start the application! :D Can you actually play a bit with the 3GB downloaded? I've had one or two games where you could literally only look at the title screen LOL. By start, devs mean start in the loosest terms.

Not bothered about the Japanese voice track at 3GB. Dub all the way!
You can play the first 2 hours or so.

antibolo

Banned
Quick question: does the game offer any way to change your name at some point?

I want to change mine and I'm not very far into the game yet so I'm considering restarting the game from scratch if it's not possible.

J4g3r

Is this supposed to be out in the UK?

I'm looking on Amazon and it's saying May 8th, is this just physical copies?

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
First game I've ever enjoyed going through menus in. Persona 4/3 where fast and fluid, but these are so stylish I just love watching them.

I'm so happy that there's so much more to do, and the (after first dungeon minor spoiler)
mementos
is so much more interesting and useful for grinding.

Also 5/5 minor spoiler
named my group the Zulu Nation. Phife would be proud

Also it seems the knowledge stat is super difficult to level up as always. Keep studying and I'm still remaining at level 1

Question: The game states stuff about endurance and strength, but I can't see these stats listed anywhere ?

There is a physical one. Usually that means amazon have sold out of physical copies, so either go to game or get off PSN

thechemist

It came out the other day but it is sold out at most places, that preorder is for the standard edition (launch edition was a steelbook).

Audioboxer

It's pretty much "sold out" everywhere in the UK, or sites that have it have it priced really high. I just bit the bullet on my American PSN account as I had some credit left in it and topped it up with a PSN card.

Not the biggest fan of going digital but Atlus really screwed the pooch undershipping this.

vpgYjnQ.png

£40 for a PS3 copy and... ships in 1~2 months... lol

J4g3r

It's pretty much "sold out" everywhere in the UK, or sites that have it have it priced really high. I just bit the bullet on my American PSN account as I had some credit left in it and topped it up with a PSN card.

Not the biggest fan of going digital but Atlus really screwed the pooch undershipping this.

vpgYjnQ.png

£40 for a PS3 copy and... ships in 1~2 months... lol

There is a physical one. Usually that means amazon have sold out of physical copies, so either go to game or get off PSN

Yeah I'll probably just go digital then, thanks guys!

EDIT:

Not in stock in my area for collection or delivery :(

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I have a question, and I apologize if it has been answered before but this thread is huge.

Is there a moment in this game where you can prematurely reach an ending, similar to Persona 4 (late game P4 spoilers:
the hospital
)? I've been really wary of spoilers so I don't want to check a guide.

I've never played a Persona game before (never tried after multiple failed rental copies of the first back in the PS1 scratched disc era) but I really wanted to try this one based on the super stylish presentation. It's extremely good thus far, haven't played a good old school turn based RPG in a long while.

Nose Master

What's an efficient way to grind up Kindness? I got a book, but it took two sessions and only gave me three points. Guts, Knowledge, and Prof are simple, but there doesn't seem to be many generic activities that affect Kindness or Charm.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
I have a question, and I apologize if it has been answered before but this thread is huge.

Is there a moment in this game where you can prematurely reach an ending, similar to Persona 4 (late game P4 spoilers:
the hospital
)? I've been really wary of spoilers so I don't want to check a guide.

I asked in the thread previously. Apparently the game has a true ending and the game will tell you when the decision will be occurring and will allow you too save. So you can save and then look up what the actual result is etc

Apparently the answer is alit easier to decipher.

CSX

So for the first dungeon, is it worth wasting a few days on creating lockpicks and opening every chest before fighting the last boss or should I just go ahead and attempt to beat the boss?

flattie

Seems really sparsely stocked in the UK - either that, or it's selling really well. Does anybody know if there is a standard box for the PS4 version? Not a fan of the steel ones.

Jiraiza

Seems really sparsely stocked in the UK - either that, or it's selling really well. Does anybody know if there is a standard box for the PS4 version? Not a fan of the steel ones.

There is. I'm actually giving my friend the steel box because I don't like it that much and ordered the regular one.

thechemist

Edit. Beaten.

Loving the game so far! Persona 4 was my unexpected highlight on the vita.

You sir just saved me going digital.

Steelbook edition too!

Great! Its a very nice steelbook!

Hystzen

Yeah Argos best place in UK get it i picked up mine today which should been regular version but they gave me steelbook and £1 back as that version was cheaper

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Well I got my Steelbook copy from Amazon UK today and it looks like it was run over by a truck. So unless I want to pay a big premium, I'm probably going to have to wait for the standard version to release. I'm going to go sulk in a corner now.

Never heard of or played this series before, would it be hard to get into as a newcomer? I recently got into anime and manga, so feeling like I should give JRPGs a second chance. I tried FF and Suikoden on PS1 years back, and didn't like them at all, but I really enioyed Gravity Rush 2 and Nier Automata.

This sounds like Bully + Shenmue + crazy anime/manga stuff. Is it open world/hub based? Is the story any good and coherent?

thechemist

Well I got my Steelbook copy from Amazon UK today and it looks like it was run over by a truck. So unless I want to pay a big premium, I'm probably going to have to wait for the standard version to release. I'm going to go sulk in a corner now.

Make sure you contact them via live chat, hopefully they can sort it out for you, as it is still available via the Prime now app. If not try your local argos.

Never heard of or played this series before, would it be hard to get into as a newcomer? I recently got into anime and manga, so feeling like I should give JRPGs a second chance. I tried FF and Suikoden on PS1 years back, and didn't like them at all, but I really enioyed Gravity Rush 2 and Nier Automata.

This sounds like Bully + Shenmue + crazy anime/manga stuff. Is it open world/hub based? Is the story any good and coherent?

Before Persona 4 Golden on the Vita, the only JRPG I had played was Pokemon, I bought it blindly off the recommendation off GAF haha. I am finding the story of this one even more engrossing than 4, the story is deep and quite dark.

LiK

Easy to get into. No knowledge required. Just jump in!

Persona stories are some of the best.

Sorian

Banned

It is turn based but probably the snappiest example of turn based, everything is snappy and quick. It is shenmue in terms of a calendar system and deadlines for when the story has to be advanced by but up to you when you want to advance it. The story is very anime but yes, it's coherent and mostly mature with heavy themes. I'd say the world is hub based, its big and very easy to feel overwhelmed when things first open up because there is a lot you can spend your time doing and you can tell the game wants you to optimize your time.

All that said, easy answer is yes, this is a great place to jump in for a first timer, the only con is if you find yourself loving the series, it may be hard going back to older games since they've distilled the formula to beat perfection here.

Hystzen

Yeah each Persona is standalone so if good for a newcomer the game doesn't open til about 2hours so you need some patience for it. Story is interesting so far and is a bit err dark (i hate that term) with its subject matter

Audioboxer

:O

Do you have a Vita? If so Persona 4 Golden is still amazing for what it would cost you versus going for Persona 5. If not there is an anime adaptation of Persona 4 (which is also dubbed).

Stories in these games are usually great, with good character building and player choice. Good value for money too given the amount of content you tend to get.

Each game are their own separate story, besides random cameo appearances from previous characters. Story is good and coherent from what I have played. A slow burn in the beginning, however not as slow compare to previous games IMO.

Anyone else feeling conflicted about using a Max Confidant guide? I'm at 4/25 now. Originally I wanted to play the game totally blind, but I feel like without a guide I would be missing out on so many useful things (Like
the juice on Sundays
), ways to boost stats, and ways to initiate Confidants.

Maybe I'll use the guide for the first month or so and then hopefully by then I'll be able to play on my own without missing too much stuff?

Sorian

Banned
What's an efficient way to grind up Kindness? I got a book, but it took two sessions and only gave me three points. Guts, Knowledge, and Prof are simple, but there doesn't seem to be many generic activities that affect Kindness or Charm.

But the best fertilizer and take care of the plant in your room for kindness, taking care of the plant does not take time so you can do it in addition to whatever else you want to do at night.

Mostly self contained, but there are references. P5 is very light on references, so it's a good starting point. It's more like Yakuza exploration wise than Bully or Shenmue. It's a spin off of it's parent series, Megami Tensei so it shares most in common with those. Social Sim/Dungeon crawler mix basically.

megalowho

Keep plant food on hand for your plant and order the Nostalgic Steak at the diner.

aravuus

Apologies for the phone shot (FOH Atlus), but here are my party stats after like... 30-35 consecutive battles in the second dungeon. Other members have lost a bit of SP due to this being my first visit here, so obviously I've been checking weaknesses etc.

41fbef2117.jpg

Having the SP regen accessory on your healer is just nuts. You can use physical skills with absolutely no care in the world, get a persona with a strong one and you'll likely smash through enemies without them ever getting a turn in. You could even pass the accessory around and replenish everyone's SP by doing an easy fight a couple of times (I've noticed the shadows are pretty much always the same enemy party).

I'm pretty close to having enough money for 2 more of these accessories, hell yeah I'm grinding the money for them. Gotta leave the dungeon next anyway.

ckohler

Persona is part anime visual novel, part Pokémon, part classic JRPG and part time management life sim.

It's very, very story and character heavy but it does characters better then 95% of games out there. It holds your hand A-LOT at the start (for like 5 hours) and fully explains everything so it's good for newcomers but once it lets you free to make your own choices it can be as liberating as it is daunting.

It's as anime as a game can get while also transcending the medium to the point lots of people who say they hate anime still love the games.

Just play it.

Matsukaze

I've had this game since Saturday but thanks to a combination of visitors and work, I've only been able to put 10.5 hours into it. :/

Gonna be a loooooooooooooooooong road ahead for my playthrough, boys and girls.

Slaythe

Apologies for the phone shot (FOH Atlus), but here are my party stats after like... 30-35 consecutive battles in the second dungeon. Other members have lost a bit of SP due to this being my first visit here, so obviously I've been checking weaknesses etc.

41fbef2117.jpg

Having the SP regen accessory on your healer is just nuts. You can use physical skills with absolutely no care in the world, get a persona with a strong one and you'll likely smash through enemies without them ever getting a turn in. You could even pass the accessory around and replenish everyone's SP by doing an easy fight a couple of times (I've noticed the shadows are pretty much always the same enemy party).

I'm pretty close to having enough money for 2 more of these accessories, hell yeah I'm grinding the money for them. Gotta leave the dungeon next anyway.

What accessory is that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom