• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have another "which difficulty is best for me" question. Basically I'm trying to decide between Easy and Safety.

I've played Persona 3 and 4 for about an hour or two each but not much longer.

I'm a father of two young kids with very, very little free time.

I was thinking about playing on Easy but sounds like you can still die and have to grind for money, etc. I'm not thinking about safety just so I can get through the game without being frustrated or losing time, etc.

Any opinions from other parents with not much free time ? :)

Father of 3 here (1yr, 4yr and 13yr). I'm playing on normal, I don't get much time but bloody hell, this game is special and im gonna savour it. Never played Persona before and im loving it. Just gonna take my time

aravuus

Alright, grinded for a bit and now I've got enough money for two more SP regen accessories. Definitely expect the challenge level to take a deep dive thanks to this lol. Might bump the difficulty setting to normal if it gets too boring.

I have another "which difficulty is best for me" question. Basically I'm trying to decide between Easy and Safety.

I was thinking about playing on Easy but sounds like you can still die and have to grind for money, etc. I'm not thinking about safety just so I can get through the game without being frustrated or losing time, etc.

play on easy, you can change to safety if you feel like you cant continue without grinding, but doing so will remove all challenge in the game

Kyrios

Im able to go to first palace now, is it best to wait until the last day before going in so I can get some money and buy everyone a new weapon?

If you mean waiting until you're about to beat the final part of the dungeon and finish it up on the last day, then yeah.

Freeman76

Im in same boat, started on easy and if it looks like too much of a headache I will play on safety. Up to the first palace its pretty linear though, the game doesn't give you any time to do anything much in the way of grinding in the first 10 hours.

Shouta

Alright, grinded for a bit and now I've got enough money for two more SP regen accessories. Definitely expect the challenge level to take a deep dive thanks to this lol. Might bump the difficulty setting to normal if it gets too boring.

Go to merciless now!

Zyrox

Man playing on Merciless is intense. Still in the first dungeon but I'm cherishing every single safe room lol
Reminds me of the feeling of finding terminals in Nocturne. Slowly running out of resources though... hopefully I can still beat the boss low on fumes.

Ignore your children like I do, they need to learn to play on their own. jk.

Mine are 7 and 10 so I can safely ignore them for about 30 minutes at a time.

Honestly, try it on easy, then drop to safety if you feel you're going to stop playing due to frustration. Though I hear that safety makes the game a real bore.

I just don't want you to stop playing the game!

Slaythe

It depends on what confidants you have unlocked and where you're at in the game. Knowledge you want the series staple of studying during a rainy day, that's far and away the best and most readily available option.
Star
also gives a boost to it and there are
tv programs that give you a boost for a correct answer along with the classroom answers
. Courage, early on you want to
read the Captain Kid library book and do the Death confidant. You can also go to the restaurant for a basic boost along with the regular knowledge stat up.
Dexterity is
making items in the attic and Hanged Man.
Charm is the
bathhouse on rainy days and Mondays and Thursdays (maybe not the exact days) and Sun and Devil,
and Kindness is
fertilizing the plant, Hierophant and Tower, and the flower shop.
There's also the
burger challenge for raising all stats and a sunday health drink for 5000 yen every week for a random stat up.

Thanks a lot !

Need help on clarifying mg confusion. It's to do with the optional dungeons.
early on trying to a mementos mission to punish a thieving shopkeeper but can't go past the barrier and the exclamation mark is beyond that barrier apparently.

Im a bit rusty on balancing the social and stats development but enjoying the game so far. Only beat the 2nd main dungeon and all the cast so far are pretty great.

I got to the treasure room on the first day we're actually allowed to explore the dungeon, now to go back and beat the boss. IMO the palaces so far even if it's the first one lol are super long like weirdly long

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I got to the treasure room on the first day we're actually allowed to explore the dungeon, now to go back and beat the boss. IMO the palaces so far even if it's the first one lol are super long like weirdly long

Well if you did it all in one ingame day, then duh. No more set amount of floors like in 3/4.

pablito

How are you guys liking it?

First 10 hours were a blast. Nothing mindblowing, but very a very strong "intro". The game becomes next level after that IMO

Game was a home run right out the gate for me.

Spoilers up to third dungeon.

MC stopping a high ranking officer/politician/whatever from raping a woman, and seeing him force the woman to tell lies about it and making MC a criminal.

Kamoshida abusing his students, trying to black mail one of them into fucking him. And..raping (?) Shiho, pushing her to attempt suicide.

The real story about Sayuri being Yusukes mom and Madarame letting her die in front him so he could steal her work.

Just started the mafia dungeon, so I don't know much but I'm expecting a crazy story twist.

I've been constantly like "...holy shit" at the things happening in this game.

It's pretty great.

Griss

This game oozes style.

Also the first antagonist is the biggest piece of shit I've seen in a long time.

Yep. I love him, he's absolutely fantastic. It's been too long since a game presented a character for whom I burn with an absolutely primal desire to destroy. This fucking guy... he delivers. It's just a shame that (I assume) I'll beat him and that'll be him done for the rest of the game.

But if the rest of the game has antagonists like this, well, let's just say that I am VERY excited to see where they take things.

Yep. I love him, he's absolutely fantastic. It's been too long since a game presented a character for whom I burn with an absolutely primal desire to destroy. This fucking guy... he delivers. It's just a shame that (I assume) I'll beat him and that'll be him done for the rest of the game.

But if the rest of the game has antagonists like this, well, let's just say that I am VERY excited to see where they take things.

Man Persona does vilians so well.

How different would Persona 5 be if it had a FFXV-like budget? Would it be more of the same with even better presentation? Would a bigger budget fundamentally change the game?

I always wondered what would happen if Persona sold as much as mainline Final Fantasy titles.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this post.

The largest changes would be technical, I'm sure. Better/more expressive animations, more detailed models, possibly more voice acted lines, more elaborate lighting and shaders. All the things that Persona 5 makes up for with it's incredible style and art direction wouldn't really, well, need to be made up for. So I think it would be good but also, in this rare instance, unnecessary.

And, no, I'd say the OT is a great place to discuss this!

dealer-

Depends what you want from the game. If you're in mostly for social links and story Safety is fine though there won't be any challenge.

It doesn't really matter though as you can change the difficulty any time. I played Persona 4 Golden on normal and gave up after 30 hours as I hit a wall in a dungeon. No changing difficulty in that game. Just be thankful we can switch it on the fly this time.

once you pick safety you're stuck with it.

Ahh. I'll be going easy then.

TankRizzo

Banned
Depends what you want from the game. If you're in mostly for social links and story Safety is fine though there won't be any challenge.

It doesn't really matter though as you can change the difficulty any time. I played Persona 4 Golden on normal and gave up after 30 hours as I hit a wall in a dungeon. No changing difficulty in that game. Just be thankful we can switch it on the fly this time.

once you pick safety you're stuck with it.

graywolf323

The inner teacher in me wants to jump Kamoshida...

honestly I swear most of the adults in this game are just complete scum, at least the ones that aren't confidants (and even then some of them start off that way)

it's kinda over the top to be honest and a little jarring, I'm loving the game so far but the heavy trope of adults are scum is taking me out of it especially regarding the situation with Kamoshida
the parents of the students KNEW he was abusing their kids and didn't care? WTF

Fireblend

Banned
I've only had a few chances to play it but oh man, I can already tell this is gonna become a favorite. I just got some degree of control (I could decide what to do and the Guild of Thieves thing became active) and remembered how overwhelming the amount of choice in a Persona game can be. I know I gotta embrace it instead of becoming an indecisive mess, but the temptation to grab a spoiler-free guide and try to max everything out is pretty strong. Still, I'm gonna save that for a later playthrough if I ever do one; I definitely want to enjoy the game rather than be consulting a webpage constantly on what to do.

Also, that free DLC soma item can be sold for 50k?! Pretty tempting to do and just upgrade everyone's equipment, haha. Is equipment more of a big deal in this game than in other Personas? I remember not caring much about it in P4. I played that on Normal and I'm playing this on Normal as well.

Miang

Mum of a very demanding 4 year old here ;) I'm on Easy and really enjoying it. Enough of a challenge that you're not breezing through enemies pressing attack, you'll still need to exploit weaknesses etc, but without excessive grinding. I played P3 and P4 on Normal to start with but I found Normal on this a bit harder so dropped to Easy. (Others have said they found Normal easier with P5 than previous games but I haven't, so idk)

With Easy you can always drop to Safety later anyway.

Philippo

Does the Steelbook edition also come with the standard case? Otherwise the metal side would look really bad in my collection :/

Kazzy

Same. As someone who works in a very similar field, that first palace got me feeling some type of way.

Yep, pretty much elicits the intended reaction from you, and makes you what to put an end to all that stuff instantly. Very unsettling.

Which makes you some kind of monster, if you pick the aloof and dismissive dialogue options with Ryuji!

Jiraiza

How are you guys liking it?

First 10 hours were a blast. Nothing mindblowing, but very a very strong "intro". The game becomes next level after that IMO

Purdy gud, though I'm still on the first dungeon because of starting over and stuff.

I really like the SP and money management in hard. Adds a thrill to the dungeon because I have to watch what I'm doing.

Beat the first dungeon and now
waiting for Kamoshida to spill his shit.

This game is amazing, I wasnt sure if it would still surprise me in a year full of potential Goty, but it has.

Freeman76

So is it ok to enter the last bit of the palace (when it gives you a countdown of days until its too late) with just 5 health items and a new melee weapon for everyone? Money seems tough to get right now.

Matsukaze

Damn. I'm on Normal and I think I got to the third floor before I eventually ran out of SP that first day and had to call it quits. Then the next day I went back and ran out of SP somewhere in the tower. :/

In hindsight, I shouldn't have gone out of my way to fight the enemies that can be ignored.

Kyrios

Same. As someone who works in a very similar field, that first palace got me feeling some type of way.

Kamoshida is such a scumbag!

Mmm hmm, says a lot about how that school is run lol

honestly I swear most of the adults in this game are just complete scum, at least the ones that aren't confidants (and even then some of them start off that way)

it's kinda over the top to be honest and a little jarring, I'm loving the game so far but the heavy trope of adults are scum is taking me out of it especially regarding the situation with Kamoshida
the parents of the students KNEW he was abusing their kids and didn't care? WTF

The teachers too! I'd rat that asshole out as soon as I saw something wrong with my students who participated in volleyball

bomblord1

Banned
Honestly, I'm starting to feel like the character in this game has a personality a bit too defined. I'm not very far in so far but his backstory is really taking a front seat. It does make for a stronger story but I felt more connected to my character and his relationships in 4 I think (not that I'm failing to step into the characters shoes because I most certainly am and they are doing a great job overall). I just feel like I'm not playing as bomblord1 but instead just stepping into the life of this defined character. I even chose my real name as my character name so that it would feel like they are addressing me as I thought that's what I would be playing.

They seemed to try to make up for it with more plentiful dialogue options but a lot of them seem to just be
>Generic Answer
>...

I think 4 struck a better balance between giving the character a place in the world while keeping enough ambiguity that you could step into his shoes.

Once again not to detract from the amazing work that HAS been done as I do certainly feel like I'm playing as my character just to a lesser degree than 4.

Ended up wasting a day in the mementos dungeon. Don't why I was able to enter the dungeon if I can't access the next area which has the quest.

Ydelnae

Completed the first dungeon. The first boss felt pretty easy compared to the enemies in the last floors.

I think I enjoyed my first 10 hours with Persona 4 a bit more, but maybe it's because I liked the setting and really felt attached to Inaba pretty soon.

Labrys

How do you uninstall dlc on PS4? I wanted to see if I could just get rid of the Japanese voice dlc or reinstall it to see if that would fix the audio issue I'm having but I can't figure it out

It wouldn't be rated M and Mara wouldn't be in the game. Bigger budget means bigger expectations. This game doesn't need a bigger budget.

Since when do bigger budgets lead to non-M Rated games? This isn't the film industry. M games are the biggest blockbusters in the AAA industry (so not, like, Minecraft).

I kinda regret watching all the trailers, would have been interesting to find out who will join next, what clothes and persona they will get...
Yeah, this is me, at least a little. I blame the 7 month localization time between JPN and NA release, at least in part.

It's totally that for me too. Before the Japanese release, I only really saw a couple of the party members outside of the original four. I certainly didn't know their names or anything about them. That goddamn delay made the wait unbearable and ensured, over time, that I formed opinions about the cast before playing --unintentionally-- through general exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom