• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
Completed the first dungeon. The first boss felt pretty easy compared to the enemies in the last floors.

I think I enjoyed my first 10 hours with Persona 4 a bit more, but maybe it's because I liked the setting and really felt attached to Inaba pretty soon.

On which difficulty? Hard was kicking my arse, but I went in low on items. Level 10.

So how do you use cover? I thought they were going to give it back to me after the games intro but I just was in a room that seemed perfect for it in the Castle.

Persona awakening looks painful as fuck. Jesus...

Lol for real.

Edit:

Nvm they just showed me again.

Opa-Pa

Having played so much Yakuza lately has helped me recognize some parody brands and store chains in this and they're so hilarious. The "Boss" parody brand is called "Oyabun", and there was this store that reminded me a lot of the Don Quijote ones in Yakuza, so I went to check it out and it's called... Rocinante, lmao I love it.

bomblord1

Banned
Since when do bigger budgets lead to non-M Rated games? This isn't the film industry. M games are the biggest blockbusters in the AAA industry (so not, like, Minecraft).

It's totally that for me too. Before the Japanese release, I only really saw a couple of the party members outside of the original four. I certainly didn't know their names or anything about them. That goddamn delay made the wait unbearable and ensured, over time, that I formed opinions about the cast before playing --unintentionally-- through general exposure.

I definitely feel like I'm enjoying the game more having only seen the absolute bare minimum and having avoided all English coverage. It is CONSTANTLY surprising me I feel like even the first hour wouldn't have had the oppressive impact it did if I knew what was going to happen.

True Fire

Help, I keep stopping to listen to the Velvet Room theme for 20 minutes every time it pops up. I'll never finish the game at this rate

pablito

Hey guys, I'm in the first dungeon. When can I get rid of Morgana? Please? I find the character to be kind of annoying.

Second dungeon but Morgana will still give battle commentary afterwards. I'm hoping, similar to 4, the navigator will take over commentary once we get them. I'm also not the biggest Morgana fan. Still better than Teddy though.

honestly I swear most of the adults in this game are just complete scum, at least the ones that aren't confidants (and even then some of them start off that way)

it's kinda over the top to be honest and a little jarring, I'm loving the game so far but the heavy trope of adults are scum is taking me out of it especially regarding the situation with Kamoshida
the parents of the students KNEW he was abusing their kids and didn't care? WTF

Well,
Being part of the volleyball team gives them the chance to get an scholarship for college and, well... college is expensive. Yeah, it's pretty scummy.

I said it before in other thread but the scariest part is that this could potentially happen to anyone anywhere.

Uncle AJ

Got an item called "Healing IV" whose description says "Can only be used in safe places." Well I've tried both a Safe Room and the entrance to the dungeon, but apparently those don't count as safe places. Where can I use this thing?

Got an item called "Healing IV" whose description says "Can only be used in safe places." Well I've tried both a Safe Room and the entrance to the dungeon, but apparently those don't count as safe places. Where can I use this thing?

You have to talk to the party in a safe room and an option to heal will show up.

You can buy home back for like 2200 yen

How do you build guts and is there any reason really to use give me money/items during a hold up?

Anyone?

Order coffee at the diner and rent the X Folders on DVD.

Alexlf

When you're in a safe room, go to the table and select the heal option from the list of choices. Took me a while to figure out as well.

Shout outs to Atlus and P Studios for shipping a clean game. It's been a long time since I've booted up a game for the first time and not seen a Day 1 patch. Congrats.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
You can buy home back for like 2200 yen

How do you build guts and is there any reason really to use give me money/items during a hold up?

Anyone?

You can build guts by
going to take the challenge at the Big Bang Burger, or by Studying in the Library in the corner desk (not guaranteed), or by studying at the diner and buying a cup of coffee.

There may also be other ways.

Using Give me Money or Give Me items is a great way to get out of a fight quickly, but doesn't give you as much experience.

Mailbox

Played 8 hours so far, Intro (first 2 hours) is... weaker than past person games. Felt kinda cliche and the pacing is far too fast (which is weird since p4's intro was far too slow).

There are some things I straight up don't like though. The camera constantly trying to auto-itself is annoying af, the characters slow walk animation doesn't match his walking speed, the velvet room UI is pretty bad (too much camera movement, icon don't match environment at all) and the deadzones for diagonal movement is way higher than for up down left right (which makes me straight up mad sometimes). There are also times where I thing the games "style" becomes far too cluttered and becomes a detriment (like how cluttered the screen can get, and how the speed of confidant level ups are far too fast compared to the slow music that accompanies it)

But there's a lot I do like. How the general feel is much more against you, how everyone is kind of a jerk at the start, Komoshida as a villain, persona fusion animation, combat, enemy models and designs, and the dungeon design all are beyond top notch.

I'm sure most of my issue with the game will be things I can overlook in time (it is a 100hr tog after all).

Fuck i just used Arsene in the fusion tutorial, was that a bad idea?

Pretty sure you have to use Arsene for that. Either way don't worry, you can get him back from the compendium.

Zalman

I'm at the second dungeon. While I do think the dungeons are a big improvement from the previous games, I still think they're too long. The free-time parts of the game are so much more enjoyable to me. I just want to get out of dungeons ASAP.

Kensation

This game:
0w5UAMX.gif

About four hours in,

Stuff I really like so far:

aesthetic/music
new battle system is super snappy and looks great
New dungeon approach is so much better (so much better)
All the main characters are pretty likable so far

Stuff I'm lukewarm on
line-by-line writing is a bit rough/awkward. Not a deal breaker or anything, but it could be tighter
The real world situation surrounding the first dungeon is stretching my credulity. I get why they've set it up that way, and how it plays into the themes they're illustrating, but it's a bit much for something that, at least outside of dungeons, is basically aiming at realism
(and by a bit much I don't mean that there aren't teachers in the real world who might be as nasty as the volleyball coach, just the extreme lengths all the adults surrounding the situation go to let it pass, particularly given that there are like tens of students walking around at any time w/ serious injuries)

Overall though I'm into it, and excited to put more time into it.

Xeteh

Alright. Thanx.

I read something earlier about an SP regen accessory. Do you what accessory that is and where can I get it from?

Not entirely sure but I saw someone a few pages back mention its something you can buy in the clinic once you've raised that social link up to 5. I'm currently cockblocked by my Guts rank being too low.

Stalwart

Hey guys, does anybody have a list of all the Persona available for recruitment per dungeon? I'd like to get each in a Palace before moving on. I'm sure a list like this exists since the game has been out for ages but I don't want to google in fear of spoilers.

JJShadow

When characters say they are tired in a safe room does that just mean their SP is low or something else?

It's usually related to the amount of HP/SP they still have, so yeah, if they're low on SP they will tell you they are tired

Alright. Thanx.

I read something earlier about an SP regen accessory. Do you what accessory that is and where can I get it from?

You have to level up the Death Arcana to Rank 5 to be able to buy that accesory at the Clinic

About 25 hours in now, and I have the feeling I'm just getting started. There is so much stuff in here.

Bosses don't give me much trouble yet, completed my most recent palace with 10 days to spare. Maybe it's time to raise the difficulty :p

This game is almost impossible to put down.

Yep. I love him, he's absolutely fantastic. It's been too long since a game presented a character for whom I burn with an absolutely primal desire to destroy. This fucking guy... he delivers. It's just a shame that (I assume) I'll beat him and that'll be him done for the rest of the game.

You should really play Yakuza 0 if you haven't then.

Philippo

Unfortunately it does not. It has a sleeve over it if that is any consolation.

Argh.
The OCD in me already cries at the idea of seeing in side by side with the other cases.
Might as well wait till my shop puts up the standard edition (hoping it has the same price).

Got a code from amazon, didn't even remember I was supposed to get that. Was hoping for an Ann theme. It had not only that, but also a Futaba theme and 3 avatars of each character. Nice.
Now if only the damn game arrived...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck i just used Arsene in the fusion tutorial, was that a bad idea?

You basically have to. You have few if any other options due to not being leveled enough.

I think it's partially to force you into sacrificing the persona you would likely otherwise feel like you're supposed to cling to and level up. It's training you to be able to let go and use your personas freely.

bluethree

The Kamoshida thing may be exaggerated, but it's not like it's not based in reality. In fact, it pretty much lines up with my experiences here in Japan.

Spoilered text below, no plot details but it would basically imply a lot about the story so I'm spoilering it anyway just to be safe.

My last job I was outright assaulted by a Japanese coworker and they gave him a slap on the wrist (didn't even get suspended!). The FB community page for my old place in Japan has one person complaining about a school covering up bullying and suicides.

I liked the story a lot, as harsh as it is, simply because the game had the guts to go there (and it made me realize that Japanese people are probably sick of that crap too).

Raxious

Hey guys, does anybody have a list of all the Persona available for recruitment per dungeon? I'd like to get each in a Palace before moving on. I'm sure a list like this exists since the game has been out for ages but I don't want to google in fear of spoilers.

very interested on such a lost as well

pbayne

Yo quick question.

Do the mementos side-missions have a time limit? Just wondering if it would be way more efficient to let a few of them build up rather than wasting time doing them one at a time.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
The battle system in this game is so fun that I'm always wanting just one more fight. Well, maybe it was stupid of me to keep going through the first dungeon despite having exhausted every healing option, with no SP left and nobody being able to take an additional hit. The last safe room I accessed 30 minutes ago.

Despite that, I just took out 2 Berith's with only Skull and Joker left at 30HP because I got criticals with Lunge leading into an All-Out. I should not have survived that.

Miang

Damn the music that plays when you're (mild spoilers)
heading to fight the dungeon bosses, once you've left the calling card
, is fucking amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom