• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mana Sin

Is it wrong to hate
Caroline
and the way she speaks? There's just something off about it. I haven't heard her Japanese VA yet.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not sure what to prioritize here. Weapons or healing items. I don't want my team to get soft, and man the dungeon gear is really bad. But I do need healing a whole damn lot. Decisions...

iFirez

On the roof of the first palace (about 7 hours in) and just got my ass kicked. I think I'll return there tomorrow night. I've found the game easy until this point so I think I need to prep a little better.

MechaX

Only about 3 or 4 hours in, and just got to 4/15.

Major Spoilers:
Holy FUCK did that escalate quickly. It was all Persona 4-esque and then suddenly went to Persona 2

Opa-Pa

Is it possible to turn off hints at all? I think I read it is in the tutorial, but I can't find the option anywhere.

It's pretty bad as is, but having it tell you what to focus on during boss fights was downright patronizing.

george_us

(and by a bit much I don't mean that there aren't teachers in the real world who might be as nasty as the volleyball coach, just the extreme lengths all the adults surrounding the situation go to let it pass, particularly given that there are like tens of students walking around at any time w/ serious injuries)

Overall though I'm into it, and excited to put more time into it.
This didn't feel exaggerated at all to me. Tbh it didn't really feel all that far removed from the
Penn State scandal. Hell people still consider Joe Paterno a God despite his hand in the situation. The victims were getting harassed daily by fans and still do to this day. People are absolutely willing to look the other way as long as it results in success.

This didn't feel exaggerated at all to me. Tbh it didn't really feel all that far removed from the
Penn State scandal. Hell people still consider Joe Paterno a God despite his hand in the situation. The victims were getting harassed daily by fans and still do to this day. People are absolutely willing to look the other way as long as it results in success.

I know what you mean, definitely. As I said, there are certainly people that nasty in real life in school situations. But the idea that the results would be so manifestly clear to the whole community
(again, multiple students always walking around w/ serious injuries)
and NO ONE would do anything is too much to believe. That's a separate situation than a a few powerful people concealing something.

Like, would things in your example have stayed concealed for as long as they did if there was constant walking, openly visible evidence of
Sandusky's vile actions that all the kids' parents could see?

To chime in, it's pretty common for people in Japan to stay out of personal business like that. Heard lots of stories from LATs about kids who would show up with bruises and cuts and they were overlooked when reported by the students, only to have it continue or worse.

Oreiller

The real world situation surrounding the first dungeon is stretching my credulity. I get why they've set it up that way, and how it plays into the themes they're illustrating, but it's a bit much for something that, at least outside of dungeons, is basically aiming at realism
(and by a bit much I don't mean that there aren't teachers in the real world who might be as nasty as the volleyball coach, just the extreme lengths all the adults surrounding the situation go to let it pass, particularly given that there are like tens of students walking around at any time w/ serious injuries)

Overall though I'm into it, and excited to put more time into it.

Pretty sure it was inspired by real-life scandals, such as

MechaX

To chime in on this spoiler discussion right now (4/15 spoilers):
to be honest, while I was in undergrad a basketball kid at a school that was actually doing pretty well and had a pretty famous coach sexually assaulted a girl at a party. They called the entire team at 2am just to them to bury everything, not even fucking joking. So yeah, I can totally see something like what is happening here, or well, in a vast majority of situations where sports notoriety is key.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So I'm at the part at the end of the first Palace where I have to
drop the calling card
. Once I do that, I know I'm going to be
placed right in the Palace on the next day
. Can I do anything else in the Palace then or do you go
straight to the treasure
? Also, will travelling home to make lockpicks advance time at all?

drop the calling card
straight to the treasure

the security alert is auto raised to 99% so exploring is very danagerous

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
drop the calling card
straight to the treasure

You don't have to
go straight to the treasure, but you can fast travel there if you like.

And yes, making lock picks will progress time. As will going home, which means it would take a whole in game day.

Oreiller

drop the calling card
straight to the treasure

You absolutely can
go back to get those chests. You can also craft lockpicks before diving back into the dungeon.

Joqu

It's pretty much the ideal time to make lockpicks if I'm not mistaken. Only thing the game lets you do the night before, I missed that the first time around assuming I couldn't do anything

Pretty sure it was inspired by real-life scandals, such as

Wow, your first example is indeed depressingly close :-(.

I understand how shame/institutional pressures can keep related things under wraps for a long time. The game situation would have gone down more smoothly for me
if the coach's abuses were a little more sub-rosa (so, not halls full of bandaged students) and if that one whipping boy student hadn't suggested that all parents and teachers knew what was going on. Like, institutional abuse happens in real life, but usually by being kept at least partially under wraps. When enough people find out, eventually someone does something. My feeling was the game had to go this route because the weight of the world needs to rest on the teen protagonists' shoulders for thematic reasons.

To chime in on this spoiler discussion right now (4/15 spoilers):
to be honest, while I was in undergrad a basketball kid at a school that was actually doing pretty well and had a pretty famous coach sexually assaulted a girl at a party. They called the entire team at 2am just to them to bury everything, not even fucking joking. So yeah, I can totally see something like what is happening here, or well, in a vast majority of situations where sports notoriety is key.

Christ. But did it actually stay under wraps? Or did someone say something and then someone do something?

Triz

First dungeon spoiler?
Can I leave the dungeon to go buy better guns or more medicine if I went in the first day?

Unless I'm missing anything, there is no free heal/recover in dungeons, right?

It would be insane to one shot a dungeon based on how long the first one is.

mstevens

On the roof of the first palace (about 7 hours in) and just got my ass kicked. I think I'll return there tomorrow night. I've found the game easy until this point so I think I need to prep a little better.

Yeah I was trying to make it to the end in one swoop, but I had to leave and regroup. Absolutely no SP left.

iFirez

Yeah I was trying to make it to the end in one swoop, but I had to leave and regroup. Absolutely no SP left.
Same as me. I'm already looking forward to there been no countdown again once I'm done with it so I can just do my part-time job and continue speaking to people -- the world is so interesting and the characters are so deep, I love it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone please tell me just by arcana name which confidants don't require matching personas and are always leveled up in their events ?

I don't want to be filling up my Persona menu with unneeded arcanas

Boogiepop

Thread's too big and I'm too worried about spoilers to dig in and see if this has been brought up, but... I just started with the Japanese audio, and there's no subtitles or anything in the fully animated cutscenes. I'm actually personally more or less fine as I understand Japanese (though I'd turn subtitles on for them to be on the safe side, in case anything was overly muffled (like the stuff over the radio, which I got but was a bit harder to hear) or if anything overly obscure or technical that'd be out of my range of understanding happened to pop up), but that seems... like a pretty big issue.

Is that working "right" or did I miss a setting or something?

Edit: Nevermind, think I found the option to do it. Weird that it's not on by default, at least if you choose Japanese audio, but it's not a big deal.

TheFlow

Banned
First day spoilers

Please tell me I don't have to go through all that everyday morning just to reach the
school

So tedious

Kadin

Anyone playing on PS3 with the disc version? Wondering how it plays and if the load times are excessive.

Shouta

Thread's too big and I'm too worried about spoilers to dig in and see if this has been brought up, but... I just started with the Japanese audio, and there's no subtitles or anything in the fully animated cutscenes. I'm actually personally more or less fine as I understand Japanese (though I'd turn subtitles on for them to be on the safe side, in case anything was overly muffled (like the stuff over the radio, which I got but was a bit harder to hear) or if anything overly obscure or technical that'd be out of my range of understanding happened to pop up), but that seems... like a pretty big issue.

Yeah, it seems the JP audio DLC is just replacing the English audio. So I don't think are any extra subtitles in places that needed them.

Audioboxer

Just started playing, will get in an hour or two before bed. I've seen a bit of the GB QL so I know how it starts (couldn't help myself).

kaioshade

I am enjoying this game greatly, but am having some difficulties in increasing my social skills. I have answered every single question correct during class, and have studied almost every day, i also took the burger challenges, and went crazy, but all my stats are still level one, preventing me from a lot of confidant opportunities. Am i doing something wrong? I just finished the first palace.

Gestahl

Edit: Nevermind, think I found the option to do it. Weird that it's not on by default, at least if you choose Japanese audio, but it's not a big deal.

It's not on by default period based on what I've seen.

Nose Master

Some uh, logistical problems with palace 2's deadline:
Why the fuck wouldn't Ann just explain to the police that she brought her two friends as backup/security for modeling for a new unknown? The deadline for this being her "forced" to pose nude is absurd reaching.

First day spoilers

Please tell me I don't have to go through all that everyday morning just to reach the
school

So tedious

It might be tedious, but the game forces you through those corridors in order to get you listening to the conversations between leblanc and the faculty office. Listening to side conversations uncovers a lot of story bits that are only otherwise hinted at as you unravel the mysteries of the game. You're not railed through Japanese Commute Simulator 2k17 afterwards :)

JJShadow

Unless I'm missing anything, there is no free heal/recover in dungeons, right?

It would be insane to one shot a dungeon based on how long the first one is.

Nope, there is no place for free healing/SP recover. You have to use items or the auto-heal feature (which actually uses your party SPs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom