• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeteh

he studies in the library too. What part of the counter he can read his book?

At Leblanc there's a stack of books to the left of the payphone. In the library its the round table right at the entrance of it, not one of the study booths.

daevious

If Maya had showed up to be the moon SL and be a mentor to the team I would have lost my mind

(It's probably for the best that they don't bring back characters though)

[Character spoilers]
Makoto and Sae's relationship is basically a gender-swapped version of Tatsuya and Katsuya's. Both sides unintentionally hurt one-another through the way they present themselves towards others, but deep down they both want to reconnect with one another.

From a IGN article:

"Unless you have a ton of money to spend on releasing and purchasing Personas, it's best to max out a Confidant and then swap out their Persona for another so that you can hang out with someone else to full effect."

It costs money to release Personas? I've been collecting a bunch without much thought.

artsi

From a IGN article:

"Unless you have a ton of money to spend on releasing and purchasing Personas, it's best to max out a Confidant and then swap out their Persona for another so that you can hang out with someone else to full effect."

It costs money to release Personas? I've been collecting a bunch without much thought.

No, but getting them back from compendium does.

Caim

From a IGN article:

It costs money to get one you've already obtained back from the compendium, but the price is tied to what level they are when registered.

From a IGN article:

No, its regarding the need to summon a persona for the bonus you get with the confidants. Youd have to release then because you run out of space if you're juggling 8+ confidants at once.

Ugh, I think I just got spoiled on a late game boss/plot twist by a youtube recommendation. I saw a video called
Sae boss fight. Please don't tell me she's the Adachi of this game :/
. (P4 spoiler too in my black bars)

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I think I just got spoiled on a late game boss/plot twist by a youtube recommendation. I saw a video called
Sae boss fight. Please don't tell me she's the Adachi of this game :/
. (P4 spoiler in my black bars)

Not even close to the Adachi of the game. It's a surprise, but not a major spoiler.

JJShadow

I finally unlocked yesterday the (spoiler 5/10)
Mementos and I have to say they're a really nice addition, it adds a new layer to the whole dungeon-crawler part of the game. My favourite part of the game is the combat and exploring dungeons, so being able to take short side-missions like this between targets in the main story is a god-sent. Also, I lol'd so hard with the Mona-bus haha

he studies in the library too. What part of the counter he can read his book?

Left of the big yellow phone, you'll see a prompt for a bookshelf. Sit at one of the round tables in the library and not the cubicles if you want to read.

Edit: whoops I should refresh more.

RIght! its like don't fuck up or you're out. Like damn
he's a kid who saved a woman from getting raped

I'm actually wondering if the
lady spoke up in his defense or is ever relevant again. You'd think he wouldn't have got in that much shit if she said he was acting in her defense.

ramyeon

I finally unlocked yesterday the (spoiler 5/10)
Mementos and I have to say they're a really nice addition, it adds a new layer to the whole dungeon-crawler part of the game. My favourite part of the game is the combat and exploring dungeons, so being able to take short side-missions like this between targets in the main story is a god-sent. Also, I lol'd so hard with the Mona-bus haha
I thought the subtle nod to the Nekobus from Totoro was cool. When he said that "for some reason or other" cat buses are a common thing in the cognition of the masses haha.

Xeteh

I will say that without this game having physical save points like the butterflies or calendar that I forget to save entirely too often.

Dragner

Man just started this game and Im having a blast. Playing little by little because life of a family man sucks(omw to killing the first boss) but already feeling that this is going to be one of the best if not the best SMT game
surprised they included the bargaining with the demons to recruit them,
Nice touch

Xeteh

The way some of the characters go around talking about the Phantom Thieves makes me wonder how all of Tokyo doesn't know who they are yet. They're about as subtle as a hammer at some points.

ymgve

Palace 2/3 spoiler
I assume it's not the case because it would be stupid and impossible since she's right there with you and isn't recognized, but every time the bosses talk about a black masked thief I just look at Mona's face and go "ummmmmmm"

GSR

[Character spoilers]
Makoto and Sae's relationship is basically a gender-swapped version of Tatsuya and Katsuya's. Both sides unintentionally hurt one-another through the way they present themselves towards others, but deep down they both want to reconnect with one another.

Yup. And (lategame, not real spoilers but an easter egg)
Katsuya shows up on Who's Who again
. I think it's a pipe dream of ever seeing the P1/P2 characters in a game again, but it's nice they include the nods here and there, and P5 definitely borrows a lot of thematic DNA from P2.

Palace 2/3 spoiler
I assume it's not the case because it would be stupid and impossible since she's right there with you and isn't recognized, but every time the bosses talk about a black masked thief I just look at Mona's face and go "ummmmmmm"

That'd be pretty funny if the bosses were so dumb that instead of identifying the mysterious thief as two feet tall and having a head the shape of an m&m, they decided to just go with "it was... BLACK"

The best improvement this game makes that all RPGs could benefit from in my view is the giant animated character splash screens when they talk. They are so well animated and expressive that I am completely drawn in.

It's the biggest improvement in the series IMO.

iFirez

Quick question: To level up a persona does it have to be your active one and used in the battle to get the xp? Or do all personas get a split of xp at battles end?

Caim

Quick question: To level up a persona does it have to be your active one and used in the battle to get the xp? Or do all personas get a split of xp at battles end?

It needs to be active unless you have the Growth skill on that persona.

ChrisD

The best improvement this game makes that all RPGs could benefit from in my view is the giant animated character splash screens when they talk. They are so well animated and expressive that I am completely drawn in.

This along with the mouths of both the 2D and 3D models moving pretty well in-sync with characters voicework really brings everything together to totally pull you in. The characters have all been neat so far, but it's the complete life they have that makes me feel that they're much greater than they may actually be if you just read their dialogue.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, this really can't be overstated. There are some scenes where it gets closer to the faces of people talking and it doesn't really look very good, but the portraits do such a good job of being entrancing so you just look at them.

This game does an incredible job of blending the style while still not being bogged down. I can't get over how slick the store menus and stuff are, I don't think I've ever geeked out so much over some damn UI before lol. Only thing I wish for is a way to get rid of the FFWD/Log text but I'm used to it now.

I think I'm on 5/12 or so now, nearly 20 hours played so far. i can't stop someone pls help

Oh, absolutely, they're gorgeous. I have a really hard time pulling my focus back to the text box when the dialogue isn't voiced, I prefer looking at them over the character models. Normally it's the reverse, and I barely pay attention to the character icons!

Xeteh

Spoilers for ~6/16
Man, do they ever do a good job of making you feel really really bad for Makoto. She's in such a shitty spot thanks to the Principal.

5/5 spoiler question

I just named my group. If I left it the original name of "The Phantoms" would the characters pronounce it out loud. Like how the characters in Mass Effect Andromeda would say Scott's first name if you leave it at Scott.

Bendo

5/5 spoiler question

I just named my group. If I left it the original name of "The Phantoms" would the characters pronounce it out loud. Like how the characters in Mass Effect Andromeda would say Scott's first name if you leave it at Scott.

No, they just say The Phantom Thieves.

JJShadow

I thought the subtle nod to the Nekobus from Totoro was cool. When he said that "for some reason or other" cat buses are a common thing in the cognition of the masses haha.

Oh fuck me, I spent the whole night yesterday trying to figure out where I had seen a catbus before, now everything makes sense lol

Is the Fortune Confidant worth it? It's very expensive.

Confidant mechanic <slight spoilers>

At rank
7 it becomes probably the single biggest potential time-saver in the game.

More explicit about what it does:

Once a day you can spend ¥5,000 (a pittance by that point) to gain social link points with a selected confidant without spending time, allowing you to "prime" them for level up while spending time doing other things.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Sooo... am I always gonna have to keep a close look on my SP or is that gonna get much easier to manage at some point?

Right now it's a pain. I can only use it for healing and bosses. Anything else seems like a waste because of how tight SP is. 95% of my fights are pure melee. The other 5% is trying to find weaknesses.

I wanna start throwing spells maaaaaan

Renmyra

Confidant mechanic <slight spoilers>

At rank
7 it becomes probably the single biggest potential time-saver in the game.

More explicit about what it does:

Once a day you can spend ¥5,000 (a pittance by that point) to gain social link points with a selected confidant without spending time, allowing you to "prime" them for level up while spending time doing other things.

Ugh. Between that and the maid, I'm gonna need some serious $$$.

I'm also having some trouble in the third Palace because of an enemy without weaknesses/resisting physical. SP getting drained like hell when you can't just all-out attack them every encounter.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sooo... am I always gonna have to keep a close look on my SP or is that gonna get much easier to manage at some point?

Right now it's a pain. I can only use it for healing and bosses. Anything else seems like a waste because of how tight SP is. 95% of my fights are pure melee. The other 5% is trying to find weaknesses.

This is my first Persona but it seems like it'll always be something to manage and the main thing stopping you from easily going through a palace in one day.

That said I would still use spells pretty freely. 1 More is really, really strong and you can basically look at the benefits of knocking down enemies and doing buffed up baton pass attacks that lead into all-out clears to be worth it over normal attacks, letting the enemies hit you, and healing up. I don't have to heal all that often unless it's something like a boss, in most cases you don't have to let the enemy attack at all.

There are some items for SP from vending machines but the ones I've seen are like 5 to 10.

You won't be able to one shot an entire palace but with energy drinks from the machines you'll be able to get a good chunk of time to use your spells freely.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Okay how do you read books at the Library? I only can study and the reading tables don't work?

You can't right now. Around May, one of the people there will leave and a seat will open up, but for now you can't read there.

Jb

That's weird. If you're trying to complete palaces in a day I'd understand why you'd want to save as much SP as possible but if you're playing normally you should be fine with using spells whenever you feel like it. Just try not to get ambushed because you'll need to heal a bunch afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom