• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

Grinding a dungeon in a single day without SP restoration is absolutely painful. Will be there any services that will restore our SP in Palaces?

KeRaSh

Finally had a little time to start playing this yesterday. Can't wait to dive deeper into this. Thankfully my wife has courses this weekend so I can binge play the hell out of this.

My only complaint so far is that the movement of the character feels a little weird. Not sure how to describe it but it.

It's finally here. I legit know fuck all about this game. The blackest media black outs.

Aww fucking yeah gurl. I'm out

hLgulbh.jpg

I can't believe some of y'all are already in May, I'm not even done with the first Palace.

Anyway, it's interesting to me mechanics they've taken from SMT1 (and I guess Persona 1, but I haven't played that one) for this game. The guns (and flying enemies being weak to them), the demon negotiation...even down to demons being more likely to give you items if you already have the same kind as a Persona. All that is straight out of SMT1.

The more I play, the more I love it. Well, aside from the translation. And the clumsy movement/stealth. And the tiny maps. But it feels so much bigger and darker than Persona 3 already and I've barely started.

Venfayth

6/12, about 22 hours in

Really starting to love the story and the character development. It's amazing what having a longform game allows you to do in those terms.

It's not hard to understand why characters feel so flat in shorter games. It's hard to understand someone if you never get the chance to see what they are like in the monotony of a relatable day-to-day life.

Could have done without
Ryuji and Morgana checking out Ann as she slept though. Or at least wish they had given me a way to make the MC react negatively towards them. I get they're trying to portray "realistic" youth, but still it's kinda uncomfortable how Ann is treated sometimes.

Widge

Any PS3 players of this? I had no idea that this came out on PS3 too.

Just checking out the comparison videos and all I can really tell is that the PS3 version is not as crisp, which isn't too bad a trade off vs. having to buy a console.

Jamiaro

Make sure you finish the Castle with enough time...

FML ;_;

This is the only thing that worries me about this game, and it's the only reason that keeps me from buying this.

Time management. It seems that I wouldn't have enough time to explore and grind/farm. Every waking moment has to be spent making something worthwhile while fearing time running out with other activities.

What I mean is: I'd stress out.

Rozart

The name that you give your group doesn't come up in the story, right? This is just for the Thieves Network features?

This is the only thing that worries me about this game, and it's the only reason that keeps me from buying this.

Time management. It seems that I wouldn't have enough time to explore and grind/farm. Every waking moment has to be spent making something worthwhile while fearing time running out with other activities.

What I mean is: I'd stress out.

You could always just clear the dungeon first and then, you're free to roam about town without worrying about deadlines.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
The name that you give your group doesn't come up in the story, right? This is just for the Thieves Network features?

It's very briefly used a couple of times in the story. I think it's like two or three times at most.

20cent

Banned
Do you like JRPG's?

Do you like Tarot/demons/etc?

If you answered "yes" to both of these questions, then more than likely.

When I played my first Persona game, I used to think that I hated JRPG, was not really attracted to demons (I was close to the adult age when Pokemon came out), and never played tarot (still haven't).

That was P4G and I have played a lot of Atlus and other JRPG since.

So I am not sure these qualify as a prerequisite to like Persona.

I think it has more to do with visual novels, "japanese culture", contemporary setting, etc..

Hikami

(up to 5/20)

I'm loving the cast so far.
Yusuke being the latest addition.

Really strange feeling since in P3/P4 there'd just always be a character I hated. Haven't met everyone yet in P5 of course though so who knows.

Zeusy

I can't believe some of y'all are already in May, I'm not even done with the first Palace.

Anyway, it's interesting to me mechanics they've taken from SMT1 (and I guess Persona 1, but I haven't played that one) for this game. The guns (and flying enemies being weak to them), the demon negotiation...even down to demons being more likely to give you items if you already have the same kind as a Persona. All that is straight out of SMT1.

The more I play, the more I love it. Well, aside from the translation. And the clumsy movement/stealth. And the tiny maps. But it feels so much bigger and darker than Persona 3 already and I've barely started.

im in May 18th, i feel like i should of paced myself better? idk first persona game YOLO

ckohler

I beat the first dungeon earlier tonight but ended up being uncomfortable that it too me five days...so I loaded a save and did the entire dungeon over in just two. It really helps to know what to expect. Not sure I'll do that again but it makes me feel better to know I'll have a few more days to up stats/confidants.

No one has an answer for this?

Can you help other characters get together? Like Ryuji and Ann?

The game seems like it's offering you chances to ship them but I can't find anything definitive online.

I would love if it's possible. I have no interest in romancing Ann (I find her character and VA pretty boring) but she and Ryuji have history and I'd love for them to be happy together!

This would be pretty unheard of for Persona though so I'm sure it's not possible. I just want confirmation because it might affect my choices going forward.

Venfayth

im in May 18th, i feel like i should of paced myself better? idk first persona game YOLO

Honestly don't worry about anything on your first playthrough of a Persona game.

Just do whatever you want, don't worry about doing anything optimally. I mean, if that's how you like to roll, feel free too, just don't feel pressured by other impressions.

The games have been good about preventing you from making too many serious mistakes in terms of trapping yourself, so just keep a few save files and you should be fine no matter what.

You can always easily see everything in NG+ if you miss something. There will be guides for doing 'perfect' playthroughs at some point as well. I just think your first experience should be relaxed.

Make sure you finish the Castle with enough time...

FML ;_;

Forreal.. got to the
treasure room
with 1 day left and it turns out you need another entire day to send a calling card?

It's cool Atlus, I didn't need those 4+ gaming hours anyway...

Does anybody else use a restroom whenever they think of it for roleplaying's sake?

I always make a point to use it before bed in LeBlanc if I can help it.

Just checking out the comparison videos and all I can really tell is that the PS3 version is not as crisp, which isn't too bad a trade off vs. having to buy a console.

I'm downloading right now, only have PS3 and gaming PC, no PS4. Once I give it a shot I can give you some feedback, but AFAIK it's 720p30fps instead of 1080p30fps, without any other difference.

dlauv

Hello.

Yeah, the main difference is a lack of AA and 720p vs 1080p.

I actually own a PS4 but picked up the PS3 version since you can find it 20 bucks cheaper.

Sane_Man

Loving this game but when it kicks you out of the driving seat for such long periods of time it gets really frustrating. I was hoping this would let up but it's still happening at the point of the second palace. My dvd rentals are so friggin late because it won't give me a moment to return them! D:

Jb

The weirdest thing about this game is the inverted controls when using the map in the dungeons.

But why?
14210946965254hs20.gif

Would 11 days be enough?

5 days remaining is the absolutely latest I'd delay the last push through the (first) palace to the treasure room from, say, the midway point.

Reaching the treasure room - 1 day
A buffer (just in case something goes wrong and you need to pop out) - 1 day
The calling card situation - 2 days
The final heist - 1 day

Of course, you want to add at least 2-3 to that if you're just starting it (if you're not a power gamer). It will kick you out automatically on at least one occasion and, again, the average player will not make it all the way to the treasure room from the beginning in one day (without running out of SP and making it impossible).

Garland7G

How can I use those skill cards on the persona's? I must have skipped right through that tutorial and I can't figure it out now.
*Okay, I think I got it.

rawbhawb

11 days is plenty of time.

More than enough. It takes up to 3-5 days max. I think most people would finish it in 3-4 days.

5 days remaining is the absolutely latest I'd delay the last push through the (first) palace to the treasure room from, say, the midway point.

Reaching the treasure room - 1 day
A buffer (just in case something goes wrong and you need to pop out) - 1 day
The calling card situation - 2 days
The final heist - 1 day

Of course, you want to add at least 2-3 to that if you're just starting it (if you're not a power gamer). It will kick you out automatically on at least one occasion and, again, the average player will not make it all the way to the treasure room from the beginning in one day (without running out of SP and making it impossible).

Thanks! I'm looking forward to tackling it, then.

This is my first Persona game, BTW, and it's leaving a positive impression so far despite it being mostly tutorial.

evilsin

Goodness gracious, the 3rd dungeon took me whole 3 hours to finish, and that's without the boss fight! And once again I was at my last breath with no SP or SP restoring items.

I'd really like some people's opinion on this.

Very, very, very vague discussion about romancing that I'm spoilering just in case someone is extra sensitive (no specifics, seriously):

I know the age of consent is younger in Japan but it is really really weirding me out that you can romance adults/authority figures as an underage high schooler. It would be one thing if you were in Grade 3 and 18, but you're 16-17 years old.

The problem is, they're great characters that I'm happy are included for the narrative's sake, but man. That is problematic, to say the least, from a Western cultural point of view.

Zafir

Very, very, very vague discussion about romancing that I'm spoilering just in case someone is extra sensitive (no specifics, seriously):

I know the age of consent is younger in Japan but it is really really weirding me out that you can romance adults/authority figures as an underage high schooler. It would be one thing if you were in Grade 3 and 18, but you're 16-17 years old.

The problem is, they're great characters that I'm happy are included for the narrative's sake, but man. That is problematic, to say the least, from a Western cultural point of view.

Can you even do that though? I'm not far enough in Temperance(Rank 4ish maybe) or the Newsreporter, but in the past when you've had adult social-links, yes you can maybe do joke flirting, but it never becomes a full romance or anything. That's always been reserved for the girls in your school.

Chaos17

I'm begining third chapter and holy hell Ryugi is getting on my nerves on wanting to be "famous and respected" as Phantom thieves. You know, kepping a low profile because you can't tell the world that you're fight in illusianary world with super power without getting yourself locked in a mental facility ?!

If he wasn't obess with that I would like him but come on man, stop with bullshit, I'm doing this because I want to help people not for getting famous+respected.

Freeman76

Great game, whats up with all the restrictions and time limits on everything though? I know what to expect having played P4 but I often wish they relaxed the time frame and limitations a bit. I always feel rushed and in the corner its always telling me to take my time lol

JJShadow

So how should I go about the first palace/dungeon? Should I just complete it as quick as possible and try and save SP?

I'd say don't stress yourself out and clear it at your own pace, you have plenty of time to complete it (don't leave it for the last minute neither). Try to get as far as possible every time you go in, play smart saving SP when needed. Eventually you will run out of SP and will have to come back to real world, where you can upgrade your gear and stock up on restoring items for your next incursion

Zafir

I'm begining third chapter and holy hell Ryugi is getting on my nerves on wanting to be "famous and respected" as Phantom thieves. You know, kepping a low profile because you can't tell the world that you're fight in illusianary world with super power without getting yourself locked in a mental facility ?!

If he wasn't obess with that I would like him but come on man, stop with bullshit, I'm doing this because I want to help people not for getting famous+respected.

Yeah, this is why I don't consider him much better than Yosuke. xD He's annoying for other reasons.

I'd still take Junpei over them both....

Audioboxer

You guys need to reserve your character judgements until you see more of the game.

Good to know. I played the first few hours last night and as my last post in this topic stated I far preferred the start to Persona 4 and all the characters in it.

Quite honestly I think Persona 5 has started pretty shit :O .... *runs* Bit disjointed and it seems to be trying too hard to throw "crazy" at you, instantly, without even a slight build up of normality. Plus I really hate Igors new VA (English) :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom