• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beat the second boss on hard. Man that fight was brutal. I first tried
with a party of lvl14-16 a few times but only managed to get him until the second round of paintings when they start to cover you with black paint. Since I expected that I would have to do those paintings at least a 3th time before I would finish the real Madarame, I said screw it and loaded a save from the day before and went into mementos to level for a day (I still had a sidequest there anyway). Managed to level up every character once before my SP ran out but found a charm that gives medium evasion to wind attacks which was really helpfull for Ryuji during the boss fight. Ryuji also learned rampage which is great for quickly killing the eyes and nose of the paintings. I primarily used that plus Shiisaa's rampage from MC to kill them while keeping everyone healed with Morgana and High Pixie healing spells, while casting evasion buffs with Yusuke. Madarama went down easily on my first try when I tried him again using that strategy. Seems like grinding that 1 level made a huge difference lol

barybll

Banned
I feel like an asshole when I fuse personas.

They are not pokemons, dont worry
Persona got no emotions and are alright with being executed
Kill them all johnny,kill them all

Also,im making some very nice progress on my first day in the dungeon
They removed the free turn you would get when ambushing shadows, so that makes not losing HP harder

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
with a party of lvl14-16 a few times but only managed to get him until the second round of paintings when they start to cover you with black paint. Since I expected that I would have to do those paintings at least a 3th time before I would finish the real Madarame, I said screw it and loaded a save from the day before and went into mementos to level for a day (I still had a sidequest there anyway). Managed to level up every character once before my SP ran out but found a charm that gives medium evasion to wind attacks which was really helpfull for Ryuji during the boss fight. Ryuji also learned rampage which is great for quickly killing the eyes and nose of the paintings. I primarily used that plus Shiisaa's rampage from MC to kill them while keeping everyone healed with Morgana and High Pixie healing spells, while casting evasion buffs with Yusuke. Madarama went down easily on my first try when I tried him again using that strategy. Seems like grinding that 1 level made a huge difference lol

Often it's really not about that level up making a difference (though it can) but rather luck, really.

One case of bad luck in a fight--like a boss getting a sneaky critical hit or that rampage's random attacks don't hit the right one enough times--can really make a difference in this game.

Khoryos

Yeah, I'm on normal and that fight was tough. Way tougher than the first one!

jrush64

Banned
Still in the first dungeon.... the novelty of a new persona game has officially worn off. Will take a while to finish it.,

Philippo

This is a first, the game doesnMt adapt to the screen size/ration, i had trouble reading the subtitles in the opening. I see there's no option in the config, what can i do?

just got the game. put the sucker in the ps4 and was all set to play!! no 36758gb patch no 176471 hours of installation time. none.
P5 is the fucking GOAT before i even started a new game.

Zafir

I think the game really pushes you into using status abilities more than previous Persona games. I learned pretty quickly in that fight that using evasion debuffs on the enemy was going to be critical to winning.
Often it's really not about that level up making a difference (though it can) but rather luck, really.

One case of bad luck in a fight--like a boss getting a sneaky critical hit or that rampage's random attacks don't hit the right one enough times--can really make a difference in this game.

That too and I don't think it's specific to bosses. I've not game over'd on a boss fight yet (I'm going into the 4th dungeon) but I've died from normal enemies getting a lucky crit and then chaining attacks. :X

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Why do they pronounce Yusuke as Yuske in english? is that really the right way to say it?

HMD

I need a healing persona, my characters have a huge health bar and Dia is no longer cutting it, I'm level 21. Any recommendations?

Zafir

You guys need to reserve your character judgements until you see more of the game.

Well, sure, I'm not going to ignore the rest of the game. Maybe my opinion will change. :p

That's my opinion so far.

I need a healing persona, my characters have a huge health bar and Dia is no longer cutting it, I'm level 21. Any recommendations?
Not sure what level it is but High Pixie has Diarama and Media.

Weiss

Banned

High Pixie learns Media and Diarama, and since it's a Fool Persona she'll learn Diarama as soon as you fuse her.

Oh I know, it was just that that 1 level was enough to give Ryuji a skill that helped with dealing most of the damage. Before that I was relying on the MC for both healing and damage, which wasn't managable. Also that charm I found in mementos helped Ryuji out a lot and Morgana survived 2 attacks with a sliver of HP that previously one shot him, so the one level actually made a difference there :p. I still was surprised how much more managable the boss was after leveling up once. I thought I would be forced to lower the difficulty.

HMD

High Pixie learns Media and Diarama, and since it's a Fool Persona she'll learn Diarama as soon as you fuse her.

Well, sure, I'm not going to ignore the rest of the game. Maybe my opinion will change. :p

Not sure what level it is but High Pixie has Diarama and Media.

Thanks, I'll see If I can fuse my personas to get her.

Zakalwe

Banned
This is the only thing that worries me about this game, and it's the only reason that keeps me from buying this.

Time management. It seems that I wouldn't have enough time to explore and grind/farm. Every waking moment has to be spent making something worthwhile while fearing time running out with other activities.

What I mean is: I'd stress out.

It's not on a countdown timer. For each period of time you get to take one activity before time moves onward. You get forever to choose that one activity, time won't move until you do.

So for 'Evening', you might make some coffee (recovery item), or some tools (lock pick, etc...), or do some late study at the cafe, or work your part time job. You choose one of these things and, once complete, time will advance to the next period or day.

You never feel like you're actually on a timer with these activities.

The thing that's on an actual countdown is the need to complete the dungeon, which needs to be completed over the course of a month. Any day you reach the 'After School' time period you can enter the dungeon, and when you leave time will have advanced to 'Evening' and you'll need to sleep to recover. While you're in the dungeon itself you're free to grind out as much as you want, no timer.

You can complete the dungeon in way less time than 30 (+/-) days, what you need to do is manage which days will be given to the dungeon and which to self improvement.

Once you get the hang of it it never feels oppressing. I hate time management in games and it doesn't bother me here at all.

Widge

I'm downloading right now, only have PS3 and gaming PC, no PS4. Once I give it a shot I can give you some feedback, but AFAIK it's 720p30fps instead of 1080p30fps, without any other difference.

Hello.

Yeah, the main difference is a lack of AA and 720p vs 1080p.

I actually own a PS4 but picked up the PS3 version since you can find it 20 bucks cheaper.

Nice. Can't see me going through the rigmarole of emulating on PC, so this will do just fine.

suracity

Of course. Some characters also rub me the wrong way at first but after some time I spent with them I felt all of them are enjoyable. I just hope ppl don't write them off too fast. Give them a chance they will grow on you.

Freeman76

It's not on a countdown timer. For each period of time you get to take one activity before time moves onward. You get forever to choose that one activity, time won't move until you do.

So for 'Evening', you might make some coffee (recovery item), or some tools (lock pick, etc...), or do some late study at the cafe, or work your part time job. You choose one of these things and, once complete, time will advance to the next period or day.

You never feel like you're actually on a timer with these activities.

The thing that's on an actual countdown is the need to complete the dungeon, which needs to be completed over the course of a month. Any day you reach the 'After School' time period you can enter the dungeon, and when you leave time will have advanced to 'Evening' and you'll need to sleep to recover. While you're in the dungeon itself you're free to grind out as much as you want, no timer.

You can complete the dungeon in way less time than 30 (+/-) days, what you need to do is manage which days will be given to the dungeon and which to self improvement.

Once you get the hang of it it never feels oppressing. I hate time management in games and it doesn't bother me here at all.

The whole game is on a countdown, you cant just relax and eventually do everything.

I'm loving the game so far but could someone familiar with life in Japan clarify something.

Early early spoiler, tagging to be safe. About main characters situation.

is up and moving in with a complete stranger and/or friend of a friend common over there? I could get behind P4 because he's a relative, but this living situation is a bit of an odd one!

artsi

So Sasuke in english is also Saske... sounds stupid.

They're trying to pronounce the names in Japanese way.
But it's somehow resulting on a weird Japanese / English hybrid with most names.

Yusuke spelled that way is correct Japanese pronounciation.

Wtf at the angel regular enemy in dungeon 1. Casts Makouha on first turn which just wiped everyone. 180 damage and everyone only had max HP around 150.

JamboGT

There is an interesting Citroen theme going on with the game, the logo on the School Uniforms as well as something else later in the game.

This is the Citroen H Van, 70 years old this year, for example.

856203.jpg

Just done 10 hours of this, really reminded me why I loved the previous 2 Persona games so much. Atmosphere is sooo good. Although, recently coming off Yakuza really makes me wanna punch (early spoilers, like late April)
Kamoshida and throw his ass off a building.
Also Batting Cages are awful awful awful. Why does this and Yakuza have them?

Protip to anyone in R3 region wanting the Japanese voices DLC : The US DLC works with the R3 copy.

Chaos17

My dear in game camarades, PLEASE, chills!
Take example on fox guy, he is model of calm.
you're all exhausting me to be so freaked out for nothing.

Graaaaaaaaaw!

Pachimari

I'd say don't stress yourself out and clear it at your own pace, you have plenty of time to complete it (don't leave it for the last minute neither). Try to get as far as possible every time you go in, play smart saving SP when needed. Eventually you will run out of SP and will have to come back to real world, where you can upgrade your gear and stock up on restoring items for your next incursion
What kind of items would be good to bring outside of potions?

They removed the free turn you would get when ambushing shadows, so that makes not losing HP harder
So what do you get for sneaking up on enemies if not a free turn?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
5 hours in.

God freaking dammit everything about the game is so damn stylish. Best UI and menus I've seen in any game. The post-battle experience screen is also really unique, I wish it was possible to maybe speed it up a bit or skip it outright by pressing the options key because it looks great the first few dozen times but after that you sorta wanna get on with it sooner.

On the flip side, I have the game installed on a USB SSD and the loading times are 3~5 seconds flat. Love how quick and snappy everything is. Almost "Tales of.." level fast loading times here.

Also, Ann's thief outfit.

339rsql7.png

IC5

So Sasuke in english is also Saske... sounds stupid.
That's not "in English". That's Japanese. In real life, A Japanese person generalky wouldn't say saw-soo-ke or yoo-soo-ke, unless they were speaking very feminine or being a tart.

*with VO, you will inevitably get some white person accent in there, too. People doing VO dont necessarily know language intricacies.

Zalman

Hey guys, I forgot how this works so remind me... If it says my bond with a person isn't ready to deepen yet, should I just ignore it and wait? Or is it better to spend time with that person? Just want to make sure I use my time wisely.

Tunoku

I'm playing on hard, my fiance is playing on normal.

Is the only difference less exp and money after fights?

Pretty sure it reduces your damage output and you take more damage. Exp and money are only affected on the hardest difficulty (which has to be downloaded from PSN)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm playing on hard, my fiance is playing on normal.

Is the only difference less exp and money after fights?

Safety: Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x2.0 - Experience: x3.0 - Money: x5.0
Easy: Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Normal: Damage received: x1.0 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Hard: Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Merciless: Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x0.4 - Money: x0.4

Source

Audioboxer

He actually sounds more like Philemon now, who hasn't been in the games since the first one iirc (I didn't play 2).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXZFs8uq-co

I'm coming around a bit but I guess I just love the voice he had. I know they had to change the JP VA as he passed on, but English didn't need to change. Igor suits a higher pitched voice rather than this deep one.

Also "cannot take screenshot". Atlus, pls. Sony shouldn't have made this a game toggle. OS wide overrule to force the hand. I don't think it is even able to screen capture trophies popping... LOL.

Story is coming around a bit now but I still stand by I think this is a much more disjointed and weaker opening than Persona 4. Step back for sure.

Presentation, graphics and UI are outstanding, though.

aravuus

Safety: Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x2.0 - Experience: x3.0 - Money: x5.0
Easy: Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Normal: Damage received: x1.0 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Hard: Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Merciless: Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x0.4 - Money: x0.4

Source

Merciless also has this: "Critical and technical hit damage on both enemies and allies is tripled"

Sounds kind of exhilarating, tbh. Might check it out when I visit the Memento. Mementos? A Memento? Whatever.

Zakalwe

Banned
The whole game is on a countdown, you cant just relax and eventually do everything.

Obviously. The point is it doesn't feel like a standard countdown timer because time doesn't progrsss until you engage in an activity.

Therefore, to me at least, a lot of the worry/tension surrounding time management doesn't take happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom